09 - Birthday

Trust Me

~~Birthday~~

'Tomorrow - KRIS B'DAY' , I get a reminder on my cell phone screen. 

I had made birthday reminders of all the EXO members  when I was looking through their profiles and contracts. I think about what we could do to celebrate his birthday and make it special. But first I need approval from Mr. Lee. I go to Mr. Lee's office immediately. 

"Hello Sir. ", I say.

"Hi Mia. ", he replies.

"Actually I came to ask something. ", I say with pleading eyes. 

"What is it Mia?", he asks. 

"It's Kris's birthday tomorrow and I was thinking if we could throw a surprise party. Will that be okay?", I ask. 

"Mia, there are 12 members and we won't be able to keep up with the party expenses every time we throw a party. The board won't like it. You should be thankful that they approved the vacation expenses. ", he tells.

" I haven't come to ask you to sponsor the party. I have come to seek permission if we guys could get a couple of hours break. And we won't be throwing a big party. It will just be the EXO members, managers and my team. Regarding the cost, I will take care of it. I have more than enough savings and I have also saved enough from the water, electricity etc bills by staying in SM office. I just need your approval for giving us some free time. That's all", I say trying my best to convince. 

"Okay. You can go ahead. Keep it small. We don't want any media attention before they debut.", he says. 

"Thank you so much. ", I say excitedly. 

I walk into their practice room and call Chanyeol out. We walk to our office. 

"What is it Mia?", he asks. 

"It's Kris's birthday tomorrow. Have you guys planned anything?", I ask. 

"Oh . I forgot about.", he says feeling bad. 

"That's okay. You can thank me for reminding you. ", I say. 

"Thanks Mia. I seriously forgot about it. We have just been so occupied lately and it slipped my mind. ", he says feeling sorry. 

"Chill. So I assume you guys have not made any plans. What do you guys want to do?", I ask. 

"I don't know? Can we do something? Did we have the permission?", he asks. 

"Yes. I already got permission from Mr. Lee. He just told to keep it low. ", I tell him. 

"That's great. You got any ideas?", he asks. 

"No. That's why I called you. What do you guys like? What does Kris like?", I ask. 

"We like everything and anything. Kris isn't fussy. ", he tells. 

"Is there something that he really likes or wants?", I ask. 

"Let me think.", he pauses and says excitedly, " Yes, he loves sports shoes and he loves basketball. Lately he hasn't got a chance to play basketball", he tells. 

"Basketball?", I ask. 

"Yes. He is awesome. He plays very well.", he informs. 

"Okay. What about birthday gift?", I ask. 

"He wanted these AIR Jordon shoes. We could pick those. ", he tells. 

"Do you know which ones and his size?", I question him. 

"Yes. I do. We can pick it from the mall", he informs. 

"Cool, then we will pick the shoes and we can get a cool cake with a basketball picture or something like that. ", I say excitedly. 

"Sounds good", he says. 

"We should leave now and place the order for the cake and buy the shoes. We can decide other things on the way. ", I say.

"Cool. Let's get going", he says. 

We inform the manager and leave for the mall. We buy the AIR Jordan shoes that Kris liked and a basketball jersey. We place the order for a basketball themed chocolate cake. We brainstorm for ideas to surprise him and come up with a super cool idea. 

"Okay. So now how do we tell all the guys without Kris knowing?", Chanyeol asks.
 
"I will ask Seung Jo to keep Kris occupied with something. He will make up some reason and keep him distracted.", I say.
 
"Cool. I will tell the guys about our plans and you meet as at 8 in the practice room", Chanyeol tells.
 
---------------------------
" Hey guys", I say
 
"Hi Mia", they all greet one after another.
 
I and Chanyeol update the EXO members, managers , Jenny and Jae-Jin about the suprise idea.
 
"We will take care of the confetti, champagne and balloons.", says EXO Managers.
 
"Jae-Jin, can you get the Cake. I have already placed an order. Also can you get fried chicken for the boys?", I ask.
 
"Sure Mia.", Jae-Jin says.
 
"So guys, about the performance. You have to make some quick dance steps. Is that okay?", I ask.
 
"Don't worry. I and Lay will teach some simple and easy steps.", Kai tells.
 
"Cool. You guys can pick a song and start practicing. We have two hours. Seung Jo promised me that he can keep Kris occupied.", I say
 
"What about you? Don't tell me that you are not going to be performing with us?", Chanyeol questions.
 
"Lol. No ways. I am not dancing.", I say taking my stand.
 
"You are Mia. It won't be fun. Kris watches us dance everyday. It won't be surprising enough?", D.O says.
 
"No. I am not", I say firmly.
 
"Fine. Then none of us will dance.", Suho says.
 
"Come on guys lets go.", Chanyeol says.
 
They all start walking towards the door.
 
"Fine", I shout.
 
They all turn around and laugh out loud.
 
I look at them with disbelief. They just fooled me.
 
"You guys were fooling me. Isn't it?", I ask
 
"Hahahaha. And you fell for it. Now you can't back out", Chanyeol says.
 
"Don't worry Mia. We will do some simple steps. I am sure you will look very cute even if you just  stand there and shake a little.", Luhan says to convince me.
 
We decide on a song and Kai puts in some cute and funny steps. Surprisingly I picked up the steps very fast. After about two hours of practice and playing around, we decide to meet at the basketball court at midnight.
 
KRIS's POV.
 
Seung Jo had called me to discuss some issues. He took me to a cafe which was almost an hour away. We sat there for half an hour and he was discussing some random things. Nothing made sense. He kept jumping from one topic to another. First he asked me how my life was going and then he started talking about his life and about his ex girlfriend. He told me how he met his ex girlfriend, what they used to do, how they broke up and how much he misses her now. I seriously did not understand why he was telling me all this. I just kept nodding and pretended to listen. The drive back was another hour which felt like forever. By the time I reached SM, it was already 11. I sighed thinking three whole hours got wasted, I rather would have slept then hear Seung Jo's sad love story.
 
"Hey Kris! Where were you?", Xumin asks as I enter the practice room.
 
"Don't even ask about it. You have no idea, how much my ears have been tortured.", I say irritated.
 
"Okay. We won't ask", Chanyeol says least interested about the pain my ears suffered.
 
"Between. We are free now. Should we do something fun?", Suho asks.
 
"Yeaaaaa. We could go eat something.", Baekhyun says.
 
"We just had dinner.", Suho reminds.
 
"We could go by the river and play Basketball.", Tao suggests.
 
My eyes shine with excitement. "Yes. We should go play basketball. It feels like ages since I have played.", I say excitedly.
 
"Okay. Basketball it is.", Suho says and we all drive to the Basketball court by the river.
 
We divide ourselves in two teams. I am so happy playing basketball after so long. I feel so energetic and fresh. As usual my team is winning because I am awesome at it. Tao keeps crying every time my team wins a point and I .
 
I go to shoot a basket and suddenly hear music in the background.
 
I turn around and see Mia with the Exo guys and Jenny standing in a dance formation like a flash mob.
 
The song starts to play and they start dancing cutely.
[Listen to Birthday by Katy Perry while reading the below part :) -----   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqYxyd1iSNk ]

{I heard you're feeling nothing's going right
Why don't you let me stop by
The clock is ticking, running out of time}

I look at my watch and its 1 minute to midnight.

{So we should party, all night
So cover your eyes, I have a surprise
I hope you got a healthy appetite
If you wanna dance, if you want it all
You know that I'm the girl that you should call}

All the guys surround me and Tao covers my eyes and then slowly uncovers them and I see Chanyeol holding a cake shaped in the form of a basketball. I see Mia smiling from the corner of my eyes and jumping to the beats with the other guys. 

{Boy when you're with me
I'll give you a taste
Make it like your birthday everyday
I know you like it sweet
So you can have your cake
Give you something good to celebrate}

Chanyeol gives me the cake to hold and all the guys with Mia and Jenny get into a formation and start dancing again. I look at the cake it looks really cool. It is half basketball ball shaped. It is orange colored and lined with black. There is a boy figure sitting on top of the basketball. The boy is wearing a basketball jersey and shorts. Behind his jersey 'KRIS' is written.' I smile reading my name.

{So make a wish
I'll make it like your birthday everyday
I'll be your gift
Give you something good to celebrate}

D.O then comes to me and takes the cake and keeps it in the step beside. He hands me a box and I open and I am surprised to see the AIR Jordan shoes that I was eyeing on for so long. I wanted them so badly.

{Pop your confetti
Pop your Perignon
We can get it on
So hot and heavy
Till dawn
I got you spinning
Like a disco ball
I'll have them playing
Your song}

The managers come from somewhere and pop the confetti on me. Seung Jo comes and pops the champagne and spills it all over my hair.

{We're living the life
We're doing it right
You're never gonna be unsatisfied
If you wanna dance
If you want it all
You know I'm the girl that you should call

But when you're with me
I'll give you a taste
Make it like your birthday everyday
I know you like it sweet
So you can have your cake
Give you something good to celebrate

So make a wish
I'll make it like your birthday everyday
I'll be your gift
Give you something good to celebrate

Happy birthday}

The guys are dancing and at times are out of sync. But this is the most enjoyable performance I have seen. The boys look so happy and are truly enjoying this moment. I see Mia and the smile on my face grows. She doesn't even know that how pretty she is looking right now. She has no idea how cute she looks every time her eyes go big or when she pouts or when she gets embarrassed when I look at her.

{So let me get you in your birthday suit
It's time to bring out the big balloons
So let me get you in your birthday suit
It's time to bring out the big, big, big, big, big, big balloons}

Lay comes suddenly and hands me a basketball jersey and tells me to wear it on my t-shirt. All of them come out with these huge balloons. And the whole basketball looks so colorful and beautiful.

{Boy when you're with me
I'll give you a taste
Make it like your birthday everyday
I know you like it sweet
So you can have your cake
Give you something good to celebrate

So make a wish}

Mia picks up the cake and gets it to me and tells me to blow the candles out and make a wish. I close my eyes and make a wish. I wish 'The time to stop. For everyday and every moment to be like this. For this is the best moment in my life'.  I blow the candles and cut the cake.

{I'll make it like your birthday everyday
I'll be your gift
Give you something good to celebrate

Happy birthday}

Happy birthday all scream once the song ends, wishing that it should never. They all release the balloons in the sky and we see them going higher and then disappearing in the sky.

"This is so Awesome.", I say still overwhelmed with everything they did for me.

"Thank you guys. You are the best.", I say as Tao feeds me the cake.

"This cake is so cool. Whose idea was it", I say studying the cake once again.

"Mia, it was all Mia's idea. We guys had almost forgotten your birthday. But thanks to Mia, we could surprise you.", He says proudly.

"Thanks Mia.", I say staring at this cute little girl. She seems embarrassed and her cheeks start turning red.

"Your welcome. But nothing would have been possible without these guys. You should be thanking them and not me.", she says with sincere eyes.

"Thank you guys. This is the best birthday ever.", I say.

"Enough of the thank you. Its time for cake smashing.", Baekhyun says running towards me.

I try dodging the guys and we run around the basketball court, but I am soon surrounded by them. Who are you kidding, its one versus eleven, how could I possibly escape? They slap the cake on my face and my face is smeared with cake frosting and my hair smells of champagne.

"Guys. Chicken.", Seung Jo screams and the guys leave me and run towards the other end of the basketball court.

I try getting the cake frosting from my eyes, when I look up I see Mia standing in front me.

"Hi", she says softly.

"Hey", I reply.

"Happy Birthday Kris." She smiles. Mentally I say that's 'My smile'.

"Thanks.", I say.

She comes a step closer to me and I feel as though I skipped a couple of heart beats.

She slowly raises her hands to my face and she smiles. She then puts a little frosting on my nose and runs.

I clean my face with a hand towel. We guys sit in a circle under the starry night. We have fried chicken and finish the remaining champagne. Mia eats little crumbs of the destroyed cake. I feel bad that the cake is destroyed. It was a very cool cake.

"I know you guys will get annoyed if I thank you once again. But let me just thank you for the last time. You guys made my day. It was the coolest surprise I have ever got. The cake was so delicious and cool. Too bad that it had to be destroyed. The jersey is amazing and the shoes are just what I wanted. Thank you so much. I love them. But most importantly was the performance you guys put up. It was so cute and funny. I was touched. Thanks guys. I Love you all", I say trying to control the tears forming in my eyes.

"Are you going to cry?", Tao teases me.

I glare at him and all start laughing.

We clean up the place and go back to the dorm. We drop Mia and Jenny to their apartment on the way.

On the way, Chanyeol tells me how Mia and he planned everything and bought the gifts. He tells me that Seung Jo was trying to keep me occupied all the time when they were planning and practicing. I laugh at myself of foolishly believing Seung Jo's made up sad love story. He tells me that they had so much fun preparing the dance steps and that Mia was so cute and picked up the steps really fast.

I reach the dorm, wash up and get to my bed. I text Mia,

"Thank you for an awesome birthday. :) "

"Your Welcome. I have one more gift for you. It will be delivered to you in a minute."

I wonder what it could be. My phones buzzes and I look to see.

I see the message she has sent. "Happy Birthday Kris. You are the prettiest ;P " , she texts and open the image that she sent.

I laugh at the image of mine. It is a picture of me in the hair saloon with the face pack and the hair clips along with 'Aren't I pretty?' tag pinned on me.

"I will take my revenge soon.", I text her.

"I will be looking forward to it :P   Goodnight Kris. Sweet Dreams."

"Goodnight Meoww.", I text and close my eyes recalling the last few hours.

---x---o---x---o---