10 - Arrangements

Trust Me

~~Arrangements~~

November came and went by so quickly. 

Work kept me occupied whole day and almost whole night. I had been running around doing almost everything concerned with EXO. From negotiating financial deals for recording, processing royalties for the composers and writers who helped in making the first album, tracking the payments of the staff, over viewing of all the expenses and the invoices,  budgetary recommendations and tax planning, meetings and more meetings. I was getting tired but it was the good type of tired. The tiredness you enjoy at the end of the day from the hard work you did. The tiredness that makes you self-satisfied.  

My office had become my new home. I now had a bag full of clothes and necessary things kept at office. I bathe in the gym shower room, eat in the canteen and sleep in my office almost all the days of the week. Many times I have even thought of giving up my apartment since I am never there and I am wasting money paying the rent and other bills. But, then I quickly shut out the stupid idea because at the end when I want to go back, I need to have a place of mine, a place to curl up and forget about everything. 


The guys have been practicing like crazy. They have one training after another. I usually meet them during lunch/dinner and for late night chats. We have grown a lot more closer now. For Chanyeol's birthday we went by the beach and had a small barbecue party and watched the sky light up with the firecrackers. Since Chanyeol was inclined towards creating music, I bought him a decent DJ mixer and I promised to get him a better one in the future. I was relieved when he told me that he loved his birthday gift. 

The coldness of december started growing. We were lazing around in the practice room.

"I am leaving for China tomorrow", I say.

"Why suddenly?", D.O asks. 

"I have to make some preparations before the Chinese members come there so that they can settle down comfortably once they move to China."I say.

"What preparations?", Suho asks inquisitively.

"Well, I have to find an apartment for them within the budget and sign the agreement, get the security arranged, negotiate contracts with tie-ups in China to release your album, close some deals, talk out the financial aspects with the stylists and hair salons in China, get some gigs for you in music programmes and so on.", I breathe out a heavy sigh thinking how I would be able to manage. 

"Wow. That's loads of work Mia. I wish I could help you. ", Suho says.

"Don't worry Suho. I will be fine. I will make the best of the time I have there and will get arranged everything for the guys so that they can quickly get comfortable. ", I reply. 

"Thanks Mia for thinking so much about us. ", Luhan says. 

"Hey. Chill. I am not doing it for you. I am just doing my job. ", I reply uncomfortably. It's just whenever someone thanks me, I don't know what to reply. 

"Can't you just say 'you're welcome'?" Luhan tells as though reading my mind. 

"You're most.." I pause "not welcome", and stick out my tongue to . 

"You will never listen.", Luhan sighs. 

"Anyways, do you guys want something from China?", I ask. 

The guys tell a list of things and they are all food items. I tell them I will try my best to get for them. 

"Luhan, can I speak to you", I ask as we walk to the canteen for dinner. 

"What is it Mia?", he asks. 

"I am going to be stopping over at Beijing and I was wondering..", I stop as I see a frown grow on Luhan's face and he bows his head to hide his face. 

"I am sorry. I just thought if you wanted anything. I should have not brought it up. I am really sorry", I say apologetically. 

Over the last few months, I have learnt a lot about the EXO members through our interactions and conversations.
Whenever we would talk about our family and parents, Luhan used to always stay quiet. When Chanyeol's parents surprised him by coming to the beach on his birthday, I saw the way Luhan kept looking at Chanyeol's parents adoring their son and how much Luhan wished that his parents were with him. When everyone were busy eating, Luhan sat all by himself staring at the sea. I went to him and asked why he was feeling low. He told me that his parents did not understand his passion for music and that he had come to Korea against his parents wishes to pursue his dream. Ever since then his parents don't speak to him much and whenever he calls them, they keep the conversations small. He said he felt as though he disappointed them. 

"It's okay Mia. I know you are concerned about me and you care a lot about us even if you deny by saying that you do it because it's your job. I know you truly mean good for me and for all us. Don't worry. I am fine.", Luhan says. 

"Okay. But are you sure? I know you feel that your parents don't care but trust me no parent can be angry with their child for long. You should keep trying to talk to them even if it hurts you when they don't reply. I am sure their anger will die down soon. ", I say. 

"You really think so? Do you think they will forgive me", he questions

"I am sure they will. How long can they be angry with such a cute kid?", I . 

"I am neither a kid nor cute. I am older then you.", he says acting tough.  

"You won't be able to convince that you aren't cute to the millions of girls that will fall for you soon.", I to lighten up the mood.

He smiles and then becomes silent for a minute. 

"Actually.." he starts and pauses for a few seconds and starts again "My mom loves to paint and she is very good at brush painting. May be I should send her a set of different brushes.  "

"That's a great idea. And what about your dad? Don't you want to send him something? You should send something for him too.", I tell. 

"He likes ginseng tea. ", he says. 

"That will be really nice. ", I tell him  

"But, I don't know when to pick these gifts, we have the shooting for the teaser tomorrow morning.", he says disappointed.  "Maybe I shouldn't buy them any gifts. I think it's a bad idea", he continues. 

"Don't back out. I will buy them tomorrow afternoon before I leave for the airport. I will video call you once I am at the shop and then you can tell me what to buy. Cool?", I ask. 

He doesn't answer and is thinking deep. 

"You don't have to think so much. And I won't hear a NO from you, so you have no choice but send them the gifts. ", I say sternly. 

"Okay. It's no point arguing with you. You anyways never listen", he says giving up. 

"That's like a good boy", I tell him. 

We join the other guys for dinner and joke around as usual. I bid goodbye since I won't be seeing them for the next two weeks and wish them good luck for their video shooting. 

---------------------------

I went back home after days only to pack my clothes and get some coats as it was getting colder. I went to office and finished off with a few tasks. I packed all the papers and documents I would need. I told Seung Jo and Jenny to take care of things in Korea. Jae-Jin, EXO M manager and a few people from the Marketing & Promotion team will be accompanying me. I tell them to take my luggage and meet me at the airport as I had to buy the gifts for Luhan's parents. 

I buy the tea and stop at a shop exclusively for sketching and painting supplies. I video call Luhan. There are so many varieties of paint brushes in all types and colors. I show him the different brushes and inks on the mobile. He seems more confused than I am and tells me to buy just any. 

"You were supposed to help me pick", I speak to the phone. 

"I know. But I really don't know that brushes can be of so many kinds and I don't know which one she needs. ", he says. 

"Okay. I will just buy a pretty set having different sizes of brushes, various ink colors and textured papers.  Do you want me to put any message?", I ask. 

"I don't know. What shall I say?" he asks. 

"Come on Luhan. You know what you want to say. ", I tell him. 

"Just write something like...I miss you. ", he says slowly. 

"Okay. Give me a minute." 

I buy a card and write 'Dear Mom & Dad, I hope you'll are doing well. I am doing really good but I miss you'll every day. I will be debuting soon. I hope that you will be proud of me when you will hear me singing and watch me on the television.
I love you Mom and Dad. '

I read the message to Luhan, he looks teary and suddenly is out of focus on the mobile screen. 

"Luhan", I call. 

"It's exactly what I want to tell them. Thank you so much Mia. ", he says into the screen. 

"It's not all a problem Luhan. Now smile and don't cry. You don't want to ruin the makeup. Get back to your shooting and do your best. Bye ", I tell. 

"Bye Mia. Take care.", Luhan says.

 
---------------------------
It's been a week in China, the first four days I was in Shanghai, the next three in Wuhan and today morning I flew to Beijing.  I have been just running around from one meeting to another and getting all the work done. After a dinner with our SM colleagues in Beijing office, I get back to my hotel room. I have a quick shower. I plug in my dock station and get under the sheets. 

Walk on the Water by Britt Nicole plays. 

{You know you're made for more 
So don't be afraid to move 
Your faith is all 
It takes in you 
You can walk on the water too 


So get out 
And let your fear fall to the ground 
No time to waste 
Don't wait 
Don't you turn around and miss out 
Everything you were made for }

Sometimes listening to songs can help you so much to get through a situation. Right now, the lyrics of the song seem so perfect for me. I always doubt myself if I am doing a good job, If I am doing enough?

I tell myself, when so many people have faith in me. I should have a little faith in myself. They lyrics do justice to my situation and lift my self-esteem and make me feel better about myself..

Unstoppable by Kerrie Roberts plays next. 

{Be strong, be brave, be beautiful
One of these days you'll have it all
If you believe you can
Wake up and hold your head up high
Challenge your future to a fight
Open up your hands...............}

My phone rings and I pause the song, 

"Hello", I say. 

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday dear Mia, happppppy birthday to you.", the EXO guys sing at the other end. 

I glance at the clock and realize it's my Birthday. 

"Thank you guys. ", I say surprised.

"How did you'll know it was my birthday?", I asked. 

"Just as you know ours. ", Lay says. 

"Anyways. Mia. Can you Skype us through your laptop right now. ", Chanyeol ask. 

"Yeah. Sure", I say. 

"Make it fast. Please.", Chanyeol begs. 

I switch on my laptop and run Skype. As soon as I connect, I get a call on Skype. 

"Pick it up. It's us. ", Chanyeol says and hangs up on the phone. 

I receive the Skype call. 

"Happy birthdayyyyy", they scream into the screen. 

"Thank you guys", I say to them. 

"Miaaaaa", Tao screams. 

"Yes Tao?", I ask

"We have a gift for you.", he says

"That's so nice of you'll", I say

He turns the screen and focuses on a couch. It's red in color and looks extremely comfortable and it's in my office. 

"Now you can sleep comfortably. ", Lay says. 

"Thank you so much. That's so pretty and looks so comfortable. ", I say with joy. 

"We have one more thing. ", Chanyeol say. 

He moves the focus to Kris. Kris gives a huge wicked-cute smile to me and brings out a cushion with multiple tiny angry birds printed on it. He then brings out a matching soft angry bird blanket in his other hand. 

"Do you like it?", he asks excitedly. 

"Are you serious?", I laugh. 

"It suits you. ", Kris says. 

"I love it. But I am not an angry bird"

"Yes. You are. ", he says

"No. Am not."

"See. You are turning into one now", Kris laughs as I defend myself. 

"Come on you guys. Stop fighting now", Suho says. 

Kai and Chen bring out a cake. 

"We wanted you to have a birthday cake even though you can not eat it.", Kai says. 

"You guys are so sweet", I say. 

"Now you make a wish and blow into the screen", Chen says. 

I make a wish. I wish that we guys always be there for each other. I then pretend to blow. 

"Happy Birthday", they scream

They pretend to feed me the cake and I pretend to eat it. 

"Thank you so much guys.", I say.

"We miss you", Sehun says. 

"I miss you guys too. ", I tell them. 

We tell each other bye and I close my eyes to sleep. I hear a buzz and I see my phone. 

I open the message. It's from Kris. 

"I forgot.. There is one more gift for you.  Hope you like it. :)"

I open the picture along with the message. It's a picture of me sleeping on the floor of my office. There is a small board placed next to me and there is something written on it. I zoom the picture and "I am homeless. Take me home :( " is written.

I laugh at the prank he played on me and laugh harder thinking about the prank I played on him in the hair saloon when he was sleeping. 

"When did you do that?", I text him.

"One of the many times I saw you sleeping :)", he replies.

"You better watch out. I will get back at you.", I write.

"I will be waiting ;)", he texts back. 

"Good night wuff-wuff"

---------------------------

The rest of my day or I should say the rest of my birthday went by attending meetings with executives from advertisement agencies, music programmes and security agencies. Jae-Jin felt sorry for me that I had to work on my birthday and be away from my close ones and hence took me for dinner. I reached my hotel room and was looking over my schedule for tomorrow. My phone rings and I receive the call,

"Hello", I say

"Hi Meowww", Kris says

"Hi wuff-wuff.'

"How did your day go?", he asks.

"It went by okay. The usual meetings after meetings", I reply.

"Oh!", he sighs and says nothing, 

"What happened Kris? Is there something?", I break the silence and ask him

"No. Nothing. Why do you ask so?", he questions.

"I was wondering something happened and that’s why you called.", I say

"Its two minutes to twelve.", he says.

"So?", I ask him not understanding what he wants to say.

"So its two minutes for your birthday to end and I did not want you to be alone in the last few minutes of your birthday.", he says.

"Oh. That is so sweet of you.", I say

"Mia. You do much for us and you have become such an amazing friend to us. This is the least I can do for my friend. I will always be there till the end for you.", he says.

"Thank you Kris!", I say and I am touched by his words.

"Happy Birthday Meowww.", he says just before it turns twelve.

"Thank you wuff-wuff."

"Goodnight Mia. Don't overwork yourself. Bye"

"Bye Kris", I say and disconnect the call.

After a minute I get a message from Kris.

"Happy belated Birthday Meoww. Always keep smiling. :) You look the best with it :) " There is a picture too. It's of me during Chanyeol's birthday. I am smiling and running away from the approaching waves at the beach. I look happy.

 ---------------------------

Next few days went around hunting a suitable apartment for the guys. I wanted them to most importantly have an apartment in a silent and safe neighborhood at the same time close to the central areas of the city.  The real estate guys showed me at least eight to nine places, but I dint like any. I am leaving tomorrow morning and I have not yet found a perfect enough place for the guys. I have to finalize on a place before I leave.

"This is the last apartment", the real estate guy says as we enter a narrow road.

I get down from the car and look around. The neighborhood looks peaceful and there is a lot of greenery in this area.

We take the elevator to the third floors and enter the apartment.

"There are three apartments in this building, one on each floor. There is a common terrace upstairs. There are no water and electricity problems in this area", he informs me.

I look around the apartments. There are three rooms, two are big and one is smaller comparitively. The house is very spacious and has a lot of natural lighting. 

"How is the neighborhood?", I ask.

"It is a very safe and quiet neighborhood. There is a convenient storer down the lane and the big departmental store is two blocks away. There is a park on the parallel road.", he says.

"Park?", I ask

"Yes. Mostly young kids play there. They have a basketball court and soccer ground there.", he tells.

This place is perfect, I say to myself. It has everything I wanted for the guys. Most importantly it has a football ground and basketball court close by, and the guys would love to play there.

"I think this will be the one.", I tell the Realtor.

---------------------------

I had called Luhan's mother saying that I was his friend and that I was coming to visit her to drop some things. When I went to his house, she gave me a warm welcome. She asked me how he was doing and if he takes care of himself. She was really concerned about Luhan, as any mother would be. She became very excited when I gave her the bag of gifts and she teared up when she read the letter.  Before leaving I asked her, "I know I am talking out of place, but you miss Luhan so much, then why don't you speak to him?"

"He is my only child and I have loved him so much. At first when he left the house, I cried every day in his room. I was hurting and I thought I was not a good mother. His father loves me so much and he can't see me hurting. When his father saw me crying every day, he got really upset with Luhan and told him things that he did not mean. I do not want my husband to say such hurtful things to Luhan ever again. I thought that if I pretended that it does not matter if Luhan left then his father won't tell him such regretful things. That's why I pretend not to care about my baby. But I love him. I love him so much.", she said and cried. 

When I left I promised his mom to keep her updated about Luhan secretly. I even gave her some of Luhan's recent pictures. She thanked me and I left her place.

---x---o---x---o---

 

You can listen to the songs mentioned in this chapter at the below link. :)

Walk on the Water by Britt Nicole - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeTu8twnGvU

Unstoppable by Kerrie Roberts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veE6Er8_q6U