16 - Smarty

Trust Me

~~Smarty~~

MIA's POV

The guys are all the time busy performing for different shows and giving interviews. Their popularity is increasing so fast. People are recognizing them and stopping them for their autograph. I am usually at SM in the night looking over documents and travelling with EXO-K for their events during the day. Seung-Jo is in China with EXO-M members. I miss them. I hardly get a chance to talk with the Exo-M guys. Either they are busy or we are busy. It's so difficult to find time for a decent conversation. But, we stay connected via messaging. They keep sending pictures and funny stories on the group chat. I am so glad that the EXO-M members are coming tomorrow to Korea to attend an event. I really miss them so much.

"Mia. Do I look okay?", Sehun asks as he gets ready for his performance. 

"You always look great kiddo", I tell him. 

"What about me?", Chanyeol ask. 

"You look annoying as usual.", I . 

"You are so mean Mia. Just wait till tomorrow. Once Kris is here, he and I  will together annoy you so bad, that you will seek mercy from us.", Chanyeol says. 

"I am already so scared.", I say sarcastically. 

"You should be.", he says. 

"Get ready. You'll are next", one of assistant director of the show says and the guys move towards the stage for their performance. 
---------------------------

The next morning, Mr. Lee So Man called me to his office. I wondered why he wanted to see me. I knock the door and take his permission to enter. He gestures me to come in and take a seat on the couch as he speaks to someone on the phone. It's the first time I have been called to his office. It's huge. There is a desk at the far end of his room and a semi circle couch on the left where I am seated. There are dozens of awards displayed on the right wall. There are just so many awards. Are these all his or the awards that the bands and artists under SM have won. It makes me wonder when will EXO win an award. I am sure that they will and I am looking forward for their first win. 

"Sorry, for keeping you waiting.", he says and takes a seat across me on the couch. 

"No problem Sir.", I tell him politely. 

"So... Mia", he says, and looks at me, rather studies me as if I am from some other planet. I feel a little intimated and fidget with my fingers. 

"How have you been?", he asks. 

"Good", I reply not knowing what else to say. 

"How are things going on for you?", he asks. 

"Great. The guys are doing so well. The response from the public is great. Everyone is noticing them and the girls are loving them. They are popular wherever they go and they have fans cheering them all the time. You won't believe what happened the other day when we went shopping, so many fans crowded the EXO members that we had to call for..", I tell him excitedly but he cuts me. 

"Mia. I was asking how are things going with you and not about EXO. I don't want to know about EXO activities. I know you and Seung-Jo are doing a very fine job and the board is impressed with the both of you. I am proud of having you in my company. But keeping EXO aside, I want to know how are things going on for YOU? Are you happy with how YOUR life is going on?", he asks me. 

Well, I don't know what to say. I never deeply thought about this. How has it been for me? I think it's been good. Maybe great. Exo has been the only thing on my mind since I joined this company. They make me happy. Everything that I do for them, they do for me, makes me happy. I feel I am responsible to take care of the guys. They are taller than me, stronger than me, but their hearts are still so innocent. They are kids and they need someone to take care of them, someone to fall back on when their families are not around. Even though I feel I am responsible, I don't take it as a burden. Inside, I am selfish. Because in the end it makes me happy when I see a smile on their faces. So coming to the Mr.Lee So Man's question of 'How is it been for me?'. I would say great, because Exo has given me so many reasons to smile. 

"Mia?", he calls breaking away the thoughts. 

"It's been good for me too", I simply say. It wouldn't make sense to him if I explain that Exo is like my life now. They define me and my life. 

"Hmmm", he says disappointed with my answer. 

"What do you want to do in future?", he questions again. 

Why is he asking so many questions about me. From when did he become so interested in my life? Where is he going with all these questions?

"I did not get you.", I tell him innocently. I really don't know what he is trying to take out from me. 

"I want to know what are your plans for the future. What do you want to do beside managing Exo.", he asks.

"I don't know what I want to do. But I do know that I want to be with Exo as long as I can, as long as you let me be.", I say immediately what I think.  

"Hmm. I expected you to say this.", he says and looks at me disappointed. 

What does he want from me? I can't understand. Is he firing me or something. Did I do something wrong unintentionally. I am starting to get worried. 

"Don't worry. I will never separate you from Exo. I can promise you on this. Exo is yours and Seung-Jo's baby. I will dare not take it from you. You'll are doing a very good job.", he says, smiling at me and all my worries just disappear in a fraction after hearing his words.

"But what I am worried about is, you. I think you should start thinking about yourself. You must have some dreams of your own. Do you always want to be in the backstage? Do all the work and be un-credited for? Don't you ever feel to be on the stage or in front of the camera or hear people shouting out your name and fans going crazy for you?Don't you feel like being famous as Exo members?", he asks. 

"No". I say 

Truthful, never. I don't want to be famous, I don't want to be a celebrity. It's a difficult life to be in the spotlight and someone monitoring you 24x7. I know how restricted the guys feel, but I also know that despite all the restrictions they face, they love being an idol. I don't think I can be like them. I enjoy what I am doing now. I don't feel un-credited. I don't need any sort of appreciation. I am happy so long as I don't feel chained or suffocated. 

He sighs and says," Well, you should start thinking more about yourself. You should live your life."

I don't know Mr. Lee So Man very well. Today is the longest conversation I have ever had. I don't know if I am reading him well, but he looks worried, its like how my parents used to look at me all the time. And my dad said the same thing to me, that I should think about myself and enjoy life and that Mark would also want me to. Mark!! I shouldn't think about that little rascal now. I really can't become weak thinking about him. I push the thoughts about him and think about what Mr. Lee So Man said . I tell myself, I am living my life to the fullest, atleast now. I have never been so happy. I have amazing people around me. I am living everyday and experiencing so many amazing moments because of the Exo guys. 

"I will.", I simply tell him. It's the same thing that I told my parents.

"I hope to see that.", he says and I simply force a smile. 

"Anyways, this time you should go to China with Exo-M and let Seung-Jo manage things here. It will be a good change for the two of you.", he says. 

I really don't mind going to China. It would be good to spend some time with Exo-M members. It's been long since I have been with them. And I can completely trust Seung-Jo to take care of things in Korea, so there is no question of disagreeing with Mr. Lee So Man. 

"Okay Sir.", I tell him.  
---------------------------

 

KRIS's POV

It's so good to be back in Korea. Though I love being in China more, it just feels exciting to get back to Korea and meet everyone here. The other Exo-M members had already gone to the practice room and I went to the admin department to submit the bills as it was my responsibility as a leader to keep an account on the day to day expenses of the members. As I walk back to the practice room, I see Mia seated outside. 

"Wassup Mia", I say, walking towards her. 

She doesn't reply and stares at the blank wall. As I walk closer, I see she is biting her lips and is in some kind of deep thinking. 

"Mia.", I call again, but no response. 

"Helloooo", I say waving my hands in front of her face. 

She flinches and looks at me. 

"Kris.You're back", she says excited and jumps up from her seat. 

"Which world were you in?", I ask her

"Huh?", she asks confused. 

"What's on your mind? Is everything okay?", I ask. 

"Everything is fine. Just thinking about something.", she says. 

"Were you thinking about me?", Chanyeol says, walking out of the practice room. 

"I have better things to think about than you, Chanyeol. You annoy me", she says to him. 

"Really? If I am so annoying, then why did you ask me to go to the cafe with you?", he asks

"Cafe?", I ask. 

"Yesterday, the 'Princess of Angry Bird Wonderland' woke me up at two in the night because she was craving for chocolate cupcakes", Chanyeol explains. 

"That's because I wanted to annoy you by disturbing your sleep. And don't tell me that you did not enjoy. You had like four huge cupcakes and later you begged me to buy an ice cream for you.", she says. 

"Whatever it is, I know you love me and my annoying behavior.", Chanyeol teases. 

"Pleaseeee. You can dream on", she says pissed. 

I cough a little to get attention. 

"By the way I am standing here and neither of the two seem to notice me who has been away for the last couple of weeks.", I say. 

"I missed you so much Kris. You don't know how much Mia has been bullying me", Chanyeol says giving me a bro hug. 

"I and bully you? You are the one who is all the time picking on me.", she says. 

"Not again guys.", I say. 

"Sorry.",Mia says. 

"It's okay Angry Bird.",I and Chanyeol laughs. 

"Not you too", she says making a cranky face. 

"Let's go Kris. We need to practice and get to the venue. We can watch the Angry Bird show later.", Chanyeol says and drags me inside the practice room. 

"I will kill you Chanyeol", Mia screams from behind. 
---------------------------

After the event, we get back to SM. We decide to order pizza for dinner. I go to Mia's office to call her for dinner. As I enter, I see her curled up on her sofa holding her stomach. She looks in pain. I hurry to her and ask,

"Hey.Mia. Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Just stomach pain and some body pain.", she says softly. 

"You don't look good. I will call the doctor.", I say worried. 

"No Kris. I am fine. It will go away.", she says. I know she is stubborn and won't agree to see a doctor, but I can't stand and do nothing when she is in pain. 

"No Mia. I will call for a doctor.", I say and search for the doctors' number in my phone. 

"Kris. It's just stomach cramps. It's a girl thing.", she says and then looks embarrassed. 

"Oh..... Sorry.", I say realizing what she means. I feel awkward and stupid of myself for over reacting. 

"I will be fine. Don't worry.", she says. 

"Is it always so painful?", I ask and regret as soon as the words fall out. I am really stupid. Why did I ask her this out of everything in the world.  She narrows her eyebrows and then just smiles and says,

"Not always. Just sometimes like today."

"Can I get you something?", I ask her so as to move on from my previous stupid question. 

"No. I will be fine in sometime.", she says. 

"Okay.", I say not knowing what else I should say or do. 

"Thanks for asking.", she says and smiles. 

"Hey guys. Let's go. The pizzas have arrived.", Luhan says entering Mia's office. He notices Mia curled up on the couch and asks her looking worried, "What's wrong with you?". 

He goes and kneels down before her and asks her, "Are you okay, Mia?"

"I am fine.", she says to him

"You don't look fine. We should call for a doctor.", he says in a concerned tone. 

Mia looks at me for help. 

"Luhan. She is fine.", I tell him and he turns towards me. "She just over ate yesterday with Chanyeol. She has taken some medicine. Let her rest.", I tell him. Behind Luhan, I can see Mia giggling at my made up story. She soon acts composed as Luhan turns towards her. 

"Okay. Rest well. Let us know if you need anything.", Luhan says, believing what I said. 

"Sure. Thanks.", Mia tells him. 

"Let's go, Luhan.", I garb hold his hand and take him out. As I am about to close the door, Mia looks at me says softly, "Thank you". I just smile and close the door. 
---------------------------

As we guys joke around and eat our dinner, I think about Mia. She must have not eaten anything. She must be in pain. There is something I can do so that she feels better. I search on the Internet, 'Remedies for stomach pain during periods'. God!! I never ever had thought that one day I would search such a thing and here I am. 
---------------------------

"Here, have some of this.", I say giving Mia the herbal tea. 

"What's this?", she asks, sitting up straight on the couch.

"It's herbal tea. And place this heating pad on your stomach. It will help you feel better",I say handing over a heating pad. 

"Thank you so much Kris. But how do you know all this?", she asks wondering. 

"Internet.", I reply 

"You are smarter than you seem",she says sipping the tea.

"And you are weaker than you seem.", I shoot back. 

"I am not weak.", she snaps. 

"Yes. You are. Look how pale you have become. You are over working yourself. You're body can't take so much of physical stress and that's why you are having such troubles.", I tell her which I actually believe.  

"Wow. You really talk smart. But seriously, I am not stressed.", she says trying to convince me. 

"It's no point arguing with you. You are so stubborn headed and you will never listen.", I tell her disappointed. 

"See. You really have become smart. You exactly know that you shouldn't argue with me.", she says and sticks out her tongue. 

"Just shut up and finish the tea.", I say annoyed.  

"Between, I am coming to China with you guys for the next few weeks. Mr. Lee So Man has asked Seung-Jo and I to swap, so I will come with you and Seung-Jo will take care of things here in Korea.", she says excitedly. 

"That's great. We will have lots of fun.", I say excited, forgetting that I should be annoyed with her. 

"Yeah. We will.", she says. 

I play on her laptop as she slowly drinks the tea.

After a while, she says, "I am feeling much better now."

I am glad that I could help. I smile at her. 

"Thanks Smarty", she says. 

"Wow. I love this nickname. It's so much better than wuff-wuff", I tell her. 

"You are Smarty just for today. You will always be my wuff-wuff.", she says back.

---x---o---x---o---