13 - Showcase - 1

Trust Me

~~Showcase-1~~

MIA's POV

"I need the two of you'll to overlook the showcase", Mr. Lee says to me and Seung-Jo

"I don't understand what you are trying to say.", I say. 

"I have a family emergency and I won't be in Korea for the next two weeks. So I want you and Seung-Jo to head the showcase. You both will be responsible for overlooking every detail of the showcase and coordinating all the people.", he says. 

"It's a huge responsibility. I can't do it.", I say. 

"Yes Mr. Lee, we won't be able to lead the showcase. The showcase is in two days and we won't be..", Seung-Jo agress with me but he is cut off by Mr. Lee. 

"The only people who will be able to pull this off in such a short notice is you guys. If you two back off, then this showcase will be ruined even before it could start. Come on guys. Please agree to this. The hopes and dreams of EXO guys and all the staff who have worked so hard till now rests on you. Please do this for them.", he almost begs. 

I look at Seung-Jo. I know he is feeling the same thing. Will we be able to do it?

"Mia. Don't be worried. You are already know what goes in making of a concert. Weren't you involved with Shinee's concert? And Seung-Jo, you also have worked in Super Junior concerts. You two are already helping out, it's just I am increasing you're responsibility. I trust you'll completely. So why are you'll worried. ", he tries hard to convince us. 

I don't know if I will be able to take up this responsibility. But I don't have a choice. Mr. Lee has an emergency and he has to go. I have to help him out when he needs me. More importantly, I have to do this for the Exo guys. 

"Okay Mr. Lee. We will try my best.", I say. 

"Yes. We will work hard to make the showcase a huge success.", Seung-Jo. 

"Thanks you. I know I could trust you'll", he says and sounds relieved. 

For the two hours he briefs out of all the work that has been done and that needs to be done yet. He hands out a list of people to coordinate the different task with. At the end of the meeting he gives us best wishes and leaves for the airport.

---------------------------
As I enter the practise room. I look around the pale faces. They all are sweating and look so exhausted. I look at the far end of the room and see Kai lying down holding his head. Something looks wrong. I walk towards him and ask Suho, "is something wrong with kai? He doesn't look well".

"His leg is hurting.", he says. 

"Why? Since when?", I ask. 

"Since yesterday. He had a muscle pull during practise.", Suho replies. 

"Why did'nt anyone tell me?", I ask. 

"Sorry Mia. You were so occupied with all the work and I did not want you to be worried about Kai.", Jenny says. 

I am fuming. Why didn't anyone tell me? I had given Jenny the responsibility to take care of the EXO guys and keep me updated about them. One thing I asked from her and she couldn't do it properly. I feel like shouting at Jenny for hiding this from me. But I know her intentions were good. So I let it go and try calming myself. 

"Next time please don't hide such matters from me.", I tell Jenny politely. 

"Did you call the doctor?", I ask her. 

"Kai said not to call.", Jenny says. 

"Can you please call the doctor right away.", I say.

She could have at least called the doctor even if Kai refused one. I sure can't give the responsibility to anyone of taking care of the guys. I will have to keep a watch on them personally.

KRIS's POV

I am so exhausted. We have been practising like crazy. Tomorrow is the day when we will be introduced to the world. Our Debut Showcase. We are all excited but nervous at the same time. We are putting our best and working really hard to give an amazing performance. We take a break to relieve our exhaustion. Mia comes in to the practise room. Her face frowns looking at our tired faces. She notices Kai lying down at the sofa and a worry soon covers her face. She walks towards Suho and asks what's wrong. Suho tells her that he had a muscle pull. She seems so worried. 

"Why did'nt anyone tell me?", she ask. 

"Sorry Mia. You were so occupied with all the work and I did not want you to be worried about Kai.", Jenny says apologetically. 

She looks angry and her face turns red. She seems like she could burst out at anytime. She takes a couple of deep breaths and asks,  "Did you call the doctor?". 

"Kai said not to call.", Jenny says. 

Her face turns red again and she takes a deep breath and says in a composed manner. "Can you please call the doctor right away."

After sometime the doctor comes and checks on Kai. He says that it's nothing serious but he shouldn't over exert himself. 

"I got to go to check if everything is ready at the concert venue. But you promise me that you won't practise anymore today.", she tells Kai. 

"But I have to. Tomorrow is the D-day", he tells Mia. 

"No Kai. You have practised enough. And you are an amazing dancer. I am 110% sure that you will do great tomorrow. And I am saying this for your benefit. If you over exert yourself today then you will be in pain tomorrow. Just rest for today and you can practise tomorrow during rehearsals."

"Okay Mia.", Kai agrees and lays back on the couch. 

"Please keep me informed about the guys.", Mia says to Jenny. 

"Sure Mia.", Jenny says. 

"Sorry Jenny. Sorry for being rude to you. I just got unnecessarily worked up and removed my frustration on you. I understand why you kept did not inform me.", Mia says. 

"It's alright Mia. Don't stress out. I promise I will take care of them and keep you updated.", Jenny says and then Mia hugs her. 

Who said that girls can't make up quickly. Or is it just Mia. 

"Okay guys. Don't work so hard and don't stress out. Get back home and get sleep at least for seven hours. You need to be energised and fresh for tomorrow. See you tomorrow.", Mia says and bids goodbye to us. 

---------------------------
Mia's POV

"I will check on with the lights and sound team, if everything is going okay. Mia, you check with the stage director if he needs anything. ", Seung-Jo says to me and leaves the room. 

God!! There is so much to do. As in, I am not physically doing anything but Seung Jo and I have to keep a tab on all the teams that include the security team, sound & light effects team, stage team, security&police officials, media & marketing, makeup and costumes team, food team, on stage crew and extra dancers etc etc teams. It's just coordinating all of them is tough and mentally exhausting. 

"Jae-jin, just brief out the security officials again and tell them to be ready. The guys will be here in fifteen minutes. Jenny, just see if the refreshments and food is stocked up."

I quickly check on with the team leaders of different teams and go to the stage. The EXO guys have already come and are warming up. 

"How are you now ?", I ask Kai. 

"So much better Mia. My leg doesn't hurt anymore.", he says and smiles. 

"That's great.", I say and go to greet others. 

"Okay. We will start with the rehearsals now.", the stage director says. 

"All the best guys.", I say and walk down from the stage and take a seat in the front row. 

Well, I can't help it but smile looking at them performing. I feel privileged to be among the first few to see them perform for the very first time on the stage. The first rehearsal goes well but they just look a little nervous. 

Leetuk, who will be the MC for today's show walks towards me. 

"Hi Mia.", he says. 

"Hi Leetuk. You were really good during the rehearsal part.", I compliment him on his MC skills. 

He blushes and says, "Thanks Mia. I am flustered hearing a compliment coming from a pretty girl.", he says to me. 

He really is a big flirt. I just smile and change the topic. 

"So. Weren't the guys great.", I tell him excitedly. 

"Yeah. They were. But...", Leetuk says and stops in between. 

"But what?", I ask him. 

"They are extremely nervous on the stage. They are scared and not enjoying their own show.", he says. 

"Hmm.", I reply. 

The guys are nervous. And it's obvious that they will be because it's their first performance. But then, they should relax a little. 

The stage director joins Leetuk and me in our conversation. 

"The guys look very scared. It's like someone is holding them at gunpoint. They are so awkward during the question and answer section. No one is ready to take the lead and answer Leetuk's question. They can't stay mute and make a fool of themselves. ", the stage director says. 

"What should we do so that they are a bit more relaxed?"

"Give them some encouraging words. Tell them to build some confidence, be brave and talk freely", the stage director recommends. 

I and Leetuk start thinking of how to motivate the guys. 

"I have an idea. But promise me that you will say yes.",Leetuk says. 

"First let me hear your great idea then I will think about it.", I say. 

"Nope. First you promise me.", he says. 

"Leetuk. Pleaseeeee.", I plead and make a puppy face. 

"Although I am loving your cuteness but I am not giving in until you promise me.", he says and crosses his arms. 

"Okay fine. Tell me your idea.", I give in. 

"Say PROMISE", he says. 

"PRO---MISE", I say reluctantly. 

Leetuk says me his idea of how to lighten up the mood for the guys. All though his idea is okay but there is nothing else I can think of. 

"It's good.", I say. 

"So you're in?", he asks. 

"Do I have a choice?", I ask him. 

"No. You don't. Come on. Let's tell the others.", he says and drags me backstage. 

---------------------------
KRIS's POV

We finish our second rehearsal. The stage director doesn't seem very happy with our performances. He keeps telling us to ease up, enjoy and put away our nervousness. We are trying hard. But the worry does not seem to fade.  The stage director tells us to rest for a bit and take a seat in the audience. The twelve of us sit silently worried in the first few rows. 
Suddenly the lights go off. We all wonder what's going on. The entire stage is dark except the centre of the stage where the spot light is and Mia is standing there awkwardly. 

A song starts playing and Mia starts swaying to the beats looking embarrassed. She starts singing along with the song and gradually a smile starts growing across her face and dances with more confidence. 

[Listen to Brave by Sara Bareilles while reading the below part. :) ----- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQsqBqxoR4

{You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody’s lack of love
Or you can start speaking up

Nothing’s gonna hurt you the way that words do
When they settle ‘neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes a shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you}

She looks at us and occasionally points to us. We all guys have our eyes only on her. Tao and Sehun are awed by her and they look at opened. 
I hear the words of the song. They sound so perfect for this situation. She is telling us to say what is in our hearts and to stop fearing the unknown. She is telling us to be BRAVE and enjoy the moment to the fullest. She always has the right song for a situation. Sometimes it is a song for hope, sometimes a song for celebration, sometimes a song for happiness and now a song to motivate us. 

{Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave
With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave}

As the tempo of the song rises, her dance becomes more energised. She looks like one of the idols. Literally. She isn't even dressed fancy. She is in a loose sweatshirt and three forth yoga pants. She has no make up on. Her naturally soft curls fall gracefully over her shoulders. Even in such simple attire she looks so much more prettier than any other make up clad idol I have seen. Even her random dance steps looks so perfect with the song. It's like watching a celebrity perform. It makes me think that why she doesn't become an idol like us. I am sure she will be big. Guys will definitely be hypnotised by her beautiful eyes and extremely cute charm. 


{Everybody’s been there,
Everybody’s been stared down by the enemy
Fallen for the fear
And done some disappearing,
Bow down to the mighty
Don’t run, just stop holding your tongue

Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave
With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave}

Leetuk joins her and sometimes they hold hands and sing together. And with their simple gestures they move along with what the lyrics say. 
As the next stanza starts, the tempo of the song becomes slow. She slowly walks down the stage singing along with the song. 

 
{And since your history of silence
Won’t do you any good,
Did you think it would?
Let your words be anything but empty
Why don’t you tell them the truth}

She holds out her hand to Tao and pulls him to dance to the song and screams the song in his ear. He starts moving along with her. She ask us all to join her and we go all go up the stage and dance together without any apprehensions. We laugh and jump and twist and turn. 
 
{Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave
With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I wanna see you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
See you be brave

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you

I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you
I just wanna see you}
 
We dance like nobody's watching.  We dance without thinking how stupid or weird our steps are. We dance fearlessly. We dance with our hearts. We dance to the rhythm till the song lasts.
 
As the song finishes we all applaud for ourselves. Mia huffs and puffs and tries catching a breath of air. The smile on her face never leaves. All the guys look so happy and excited. We all feel so energized and confident.
 
"This was so weird but ridiculosly awesome", Kai says.
 
"Yeah.  It was so much fun dancing randomly", Chanyeol says.
 
"Gyus! Can you come here for a minute", The stage director calls us.
 
We all go to him and he ask us to look into the monitor. He recorded the performance that Mia and all of us put up just a few minutes ago.
 
"Mia looks really cute.", Suho says watching Mia's dance on the monitor.
 
"Yeah. She does", the stage director says.
 
He pauses the video at the part where we all are in one frame.
 
"Look. Look how freely you"ll are dancing. There is no trace of nervousnes on your faces. You are enjoying and dancing. I want you'll to perform like this today. Without any fear and full of confidence. But most importanly you have to enjoy it with your heart and when you do that, the audience will be able to feel your performance.", the stage director says.
 
I look at the monitor. The twelve of us, Mia and Leetuk are all in different poses. But yet the picture looks so perfect. We all have huge smiles on our faces. We all look so confident.
 
All of us nod to the stage director.
 
"Guys. The whole point of me doing this weird performance was to tell you'll that, its okay if you are nervous. Its okay if you make mistakes. People will love you for you're awkwardness. People will love you for you're foolishness. But as the director said, it is important to enjoy your performance. Because if you do not enjoy your own performance then how would you expect your fans to enjoy?", Mia says and pauses.
 
She coninues "....Dance with your heart out. Says what comes in your mind. Do what makes you happy. Cherish the moment and ignore the unknown fears. Be Brave!!"

---x---o---x---o---