07 - Approval

Trust Me

~~Approval~~

After two hours of presenting the three gruelling weeks of hard work, I wait nervously for the board's comments. Seung Jo gives me a assuring smile. 

One of the board members breaks the silence and looks towards Mr. Lee and says, " Mr. Lee, I must say that these guys have done a great job. You sure have recruited the right guys."

Mr. Lee beams with pride," Of course, what can you say but I have an eye to pick out the best ones", he says jokingly. 

Another one of the board members turns towards me and says, "Mia, you have really done a good job. The detailed work you have done is pretty impressive. There are one or two things I am concerned about but overall you and your team have done a brilliant work. "

My smile grows till my ears, I say "Thank you Sir". 

Everyone then applaud for us. 

"Mia, Seung Jo, Jenny, Jae-Jin. Good work guys", says Mr. Lee So Man

Hearing the CEO say 'Good', makes Jenny jump of happiness. She soon realizes that everyone is watching her and bends her head in embarrassment and everyone laughs. 

The board members soon leave the room. 

Mr. Lee comes to us and say, "Guys, you were awesome. You have done way beyond my expectations. I am sure the board will approve the plan. You just need to make some adjustments to the Budget Expenses section, otherwise it's all good. "

"Thank you Sir. Sure, we will take a look into it and re - submit the costing variables. ", I say. 

"It's no hurry, you can submit by the end of the week. I have heard that you guys are working non stop. You'll should go get some rest today. ", Mr. Lee says. 

"Yes Sir. Especially Mia needs to get some rest. She is practically living in her office and sleeping only couple of hours on that couch of hers", says Seung Jo to Mr. Lee 

"Mia, you shouldn't stress so much. Go get some rest.  It's my order.", he says seriously.  

"I will Sir. I promise. ", I tell him.

"Good. I will take a leave, I have to discuss some things with Mr. Lee So Man. ", he says and leaves the room. 

Once Mr. Lee walks out of the room, Jenny starts jumping and hugs all of us. We decide to go to the canteen before heading back to home. 

I grab a bun and walk to the table and wait for the other three. EXO members; Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen come into the canteen and stop by my table. 

"Hi Mia", Chanyeol greets. 

"Hi guys! How are you'll doing?", I ask. 

"Tired", Baekhyun says. 

"Oh!", I reply not knowing what to say. 

"How have you been Mia? You always seem to be so busy. ", Chen asks me. 

"I have been okay. A little tired. Just getting some things done.", I say. 

"You should take care of yourself. You look skinnier.", Baekhyun says. 

"Yes. I will.", I reply. 

"We will meet you later. We need to fill our stomach and get back. We have our stylist coming over for costume fittings", Chanyeol tells. 

"See you guys. Have fun", I tell them. 

After our break, I get my stuff from my office and leave for home. 

I pass by the practice room and look at the guys checking out their stage clothes and playing around. Kris notices me and smiles. 

I look at him and mouth 'Thank You'. He smiles and gestures a thumbs up. I wave him bye and so does he. 

I reach home and crawl into my bed. 

-------------------

I get up at 11 in the night after sleeping for 8 hours straight. I make cup noodles for me and start looking over the documents to make changes. 

Mr. Lee wanted me to cut down on unnecessary expenses. I am trying so hard and I can't reduce any other expense further. Everything seems justified. I think that it would be better off to meet Mr. Lee and discuss this. I put aside the documents and sleep again. 

-------------------

Next day, I reach SM feeling so much more fresh and energetic. Sleep can do wonders. 
I decide to meet with Mr. Lee to go over the expenses. I knock him door and he tells me to come in. 

"Good morning Mr. Lee", I say. 

"Good morning Mia. What brings you here?", he asks. 

"I wanted to discuss the budget issues. I went over them last night and there is no area wherewe can reduce the expenses. ", I say. 

He looks over the documents and says, "Here. What are these 'Recreational Expenses'?", he asks. 

"That is the money set aside for the EXO members and team. I thought that, once in every quarter we could give the boys a break and visit new places and do some fun activities. ", I tell him. 

"Why?", he asks. And before I can reply he says,"Its not needed. The guys will be travelling to different countries for their activities. It's an unnecessary expense. You should wipe off this whole expense. "

"But Sir...", he cuts me again. 

"No Mia, nothing doing. Please do as I say."

I just turn around and leave the room in disappointment. 

I walk pass the practice room and see the guys dancing. Once the song ends, they all fall down and rest on the floor. They are sweating profusely and look so exhausted. The choreographer asks them to get up and get to practise again. I feel sad for them that do not even get a minute to relax. None of the guys complain and get into their positions again. 

I walk back angrily to my room. Seung Jo comes in and asks, "What's wrong Mia? Why do you look so pissed. "

"Nothing", I say. 

"Are you sure?", he asks. 

The anger is building in me and I can't help but vent it out to Seung Jo. 

"Mr. Lee has told to remove the recreational expenses from our budget. He thinks it unnecessary. ", I say. 

"I thought so", he says. 

I raise an eyebrow and ask "Why?"

"To cut it short, we work to make money out of these idols and expenses such as taking the idols on trips or doing fun stuff doesn't make sense. In the end all SM wants is to make money. They invest money on the characters they create out of these guys. They will care and nurture the characters. They are not bothered about the guys. And that's why the recreational expenses seem to be unproductive for SM. ", Seung Jo says. 

I boil with anger listening to what Seung Jo says. I don't respond him. I get out of my office and slam the door behind me in anger. 

I walk straight to Mr. Lee's room. Before he says something, I begin.

"Sir, I am sorry for barging into your room. But I really need to talk to you. "

"What is it Mia?", he asks surprised. 

"Sir. I know you think that we will be wasting money if we take the guys for vacation and etc.

But I don't believe so. ", I say firmly. 

"It doesn't matter what you believe. The board won't accept it. ", he tells me. 

"But Sir. These guys are humans. They need to enjoy some fun time. It is not fair if you keep making money out of them and do nothing in return. I know you pay them their contract amounts. But just paying them is not enough. You have to treat them well. Make them realize that SM cares for its artists truly by doing small things for them in return. Doing so they will trust SM more and put in more efforts."

"Mia. I get what you are saying..",

I cut him and say, " No Sir. I am not going accept a NO from you. You can't treat them like monkeys and make them jump from tree to another.  They need breaks from the exhaustion and they need to enjoy the bananas on the tree", I say without thinking. 

Mr. Lee laughs says, "You are so funny Mia."

"I just meant that, you can't keep making them perform back to back in one country and then the other. They will get stressed out. I have seen the schedules, they leave in the morning to China, perform there and fly back to Korea. The very next day, they fly to Taiwan and so forth. It's not fair. They are visiting many countries but they are not even given an hour of free time to explore the place and more importantly to de-stress. You know how much pressure they carry. They deserve this. ", I say almost begging. 

"Mia. I heard you. I understand what you are saying. I will talk to the board about this. But I can't promise you anything. ", he says. 

"Thank you so much Sir. Thank you.", I tell him happily. 

As I leave, I turn back and say, "Am sorry Sir for barging in your room and venting out my anger. It's just I was so angry for sometime and couldn't control my anger. I am really sorry.", I apologise. 

"It's okay Mia. I understand you. It's all good. I will try getting some bananas for your dear Monkeys", he says jokingly. 

I smile and walk back happily to my room. 

I see Seung Jo, Chanyeol and Kris when I enter my office. 

"Hi", Chanyeol and Kris greet. 

"Hi guys", I say surprised seeing them in my office. 

"You look happy. ", Kris says not sure whether he is asking or telling. 

"Yea. She does. Just five minutes back, she was fuming with anger ", Chanyeol tells. 

"When you slammed the door, I thought it would definitely break. ", Seung Jo jokes. 

"Am sorry. ", I say. 

"What did Mr. Lee say", Seung Jo asks. 

"He said he will speak with the board. ", I tell. 

"Speak what?", Chanyeol ask inquisitively. 

"Mia was pissed because the board was not approving vacations and trips for you guys. But seems like she convinced them. ", Seung Jo tells them. 

"It's not approved yet. ", I inform them. 

"I am sure they will. The way you barged in to Mr. Lee's room, I am sure you would have threatened him to listen to you. ", he tells jokingly. 

Kris and Chanyeol burst out laughing. 

"I did not threaten him.", I say irritated. 

"Be careful Seung Jo. Someone is turning red. You may be her next target. ", Kris teases and the other two laugh. 

"Whatever.", I say and change the topic. 

"So what are you guys doing here?", I ask looking at Kris and Chanyeol. 

"We were just passing by your office and heard this loud thud and a angry bird flew by us. We were bored and we came to your office and were waiting for the crazy angry bird to fly back. ", Kris teases again. Chanyeol and Seung Jo laugh. 

"Very funny. ", I say sarcastically.

"So how is practice going?", Seung Jo asks them. 

"It's going good. We have finished recording all the songs and started picking up the dance steps of our debut song.", Chanyeol informs. 

"That's fantastic. Everything is happening so fast.", Seung Jo replies. 

"Yea. It's crazy. There are so many trainings and costume trials and so on. We did not know so much goes in putting on a show. ", Kris adds. 

We talk for an hour, Kris and Chanyeol leave for training. Seung Jo leaves for getting some documents attested.

I put the iPod on the dock station and play 'Hold on to Hope Love' by Amy Stroup. I walk to the window and look out of the window. There are around 10 girls waiting outside the building. I wonder how they do it? How they come by everyday? Everyday they wait hoping to meet the Idol they love. They hold on to so much hope just for one look. I then think about the EXO members, they are working so hard. They are holding on to so much hope. Hoping that dreams come true soon.

As the lyrics of this go, I wish to change few words and tell the guys, "Each day gets closer, so hold on stronger to the dreams, someday soon it will find you. "

I sincerely hope that I can contribute to their dreams and give them a life full of happiness. I hope the board approves the expenses. It is just a way to give them a little happiness. I sigh, money sure can buy happiness. 
 
KRIS's POV
 
"I forgot my cap in Mia's office. I'll get it quickly", I tell Chanyeol and run to her office. When I enter I see Mia standing with her back staring out of the window and thinking deeply. She doesn't seem to notice me come in. The song 'Hold on to hope' plays in the background and makes me wonder why she is listening to it? What hope is she holding on to?
 
I silently take the cap and walk out of her room.
 
MIA's POV
 
Two days later, Mr. Lee calls me to his office
 
"I have a good news and a bad news for you. ", he says. 
 
"Okay. What is it?", I ask. 
 
"The good news is that the board has accepted your 'Recreational expenses', but the bad news is that only half of the money you quoted is accepted. Am sorry I couldn't get them agree to the whole amount. ", he says. 
 
"It's alright Sir. It's good enough. I am thankful that they approved it. ", I tell him. 
 
"Although they said that they will increase the budget after the first year. But for this year, that's the best they can approve. ", he informs me. 
 
"That's great. I will try managing for a year. But they better not back away next year. ", I tell him jokingly. 
 
"Don't worry. They won't back down. They don't want to be threatened by you. ", he jokes. 
 
"Thank you so much. ", I say. 
 
"Mia, can you go over these contract papers with the hair saloon we have a tie up with and get them signed by them.", he asks. 
 
"Sure. No problem", he says. 
 
"You will have to discuss the contents with them and address their questions regarding the contract.", he tells.
 
"Okay", I reply. 
 
"You can go with the EXO guys. They will be going to the hair saloon to get their makeovers. So you get the papers signed and have fun with them. I will let the managers know that you are tagging along ", he tells.
 
I leave the room. I satisfy myself with the fact that the board has approved to half of the vacation expense. I compromise and decide to be happy with the decision. 
 
---x---o---x---o---