11 - Sleep over

Trust Me

~~Sleep over~~


It took almost two hours to get out of the airport. The customs had held my bag to check the large amount of food I bought from China. I had vacuum-packed so many snacks and sweets for the boys. Multiple packets of salt-baked and pickle-baked chicken feet, un-fried spring rolls, puff pastry biscuits, crunchy rice balls, fruit flavored tea, hello panda biscuits, different types of candies and some other snacks that Luhan guided me to pick from specific stores. I had one whole bag filled with food. 

I took a taxi home from the airport. Mr. Lee told me to take some rest and meet him at 7 in the evening

After sleeping for a good seven hours, I shower and take a cab to office. I meet Mr. Lee and update him about the business events and progress in China. Our discussions went on till nine. 

"Well Mia, I must say you have done a great job. Everything seems to be proceeding smoothly. ", he tells. 

"Thank you. I had a good time in China. I met some extremely knowledgeable and interesting people. It was a great learning opportunity. ", I say. 

"I told you so. When you were doubtful about this job, I told you that it was a wonderful learning opportunity. I also told you that I had the faith in you to do this job. ", he says proudly. 

I smile and bid goodbye as I leave his office. 

I walk to the practice room to meet the guys. I stand outside and watch them practice. They all look much more synchronized than before. Luhan notices me and stops dancing. He leaves the dance in mid way and runs outside. He stands in front of me with the widest smile I have seen on him and then hugs me. I am taken aback by this gesture. 

"Thank you Mia. Thank you so much. ", he tells excitedly wrapping me tight in his arms . He releases his arms and removes his phone from his pocket and puts it in front of my face. I blink and look at the screen. 
 
'Thank you for the presents. They were perfect. Love you son. <3 '

I smile reading the message. It was from his mom. 

"She had messaged me this yesterday night. I couldn't sleep all night. I was so happy ", he says enthusiastically. 

"That's so sweet of her. ", I say. 

"See. She even sent me a heart", he sticks out the phone on my face and shows me the heart at the end of the message. He looks so happy. 

"You know I have something for you But looking at you so excited, I am thinking if I should show you. ", I tell him. 

"Why?", he questions. 

"I am scared that after I show you what I have, you might die out of happiness. ", I . 

"Mia. I won't. Please show me", he pleads like a spoilt child. 

"Okay. Hold onto your heart", I tell and show him my phone.
  
He looks at the picture on my phone. It's his mom. He carefully seems to study the picture and his eyes soon fill with tears. 

"I took this photo when she did not notice, I know it's a little creepy to do that but I thought you may want to know how she is doing. ", I tell him. 

He pulls me into a hug again and cries.  

"Thank you so much Mia. I haven't seen my mom in the last 2 years and this picture means so much to me. ", he says. 

I gently tap his back and tell, "it's okay Luhan. Don't cry.". 

I hold onto him for a minute and then gently pull away from him and lift his chin so that he looks at me, "Cheer up", I say looking into his eyes. 
 
"She has lost weight. But she looks so beautiful", he says. 
 
"She is very beautiful. She really loves you. ", I tell him. 
 
The guys come out of the practice room. 
 
"What's going on?", Chen asks
 
"Nothing.", I tell. 
 
"Why is Luhan crying?", Sehun asks. 
 
"That's because he missed me so much and he couldn't hold back his happy tears when he saw me. ", I joke 
 
"It's not funny", Chanyeol exclaims
 
"Whatever.", I tell and stick my tongue out. 
 
"So what did you get for us?", Kai asks. 
 
"! I forgot to bring it. I left it at home", I say. 
 
"I know you did not buy anything for us and now you are making excuses", Chanyeol says to tease me. 
 
"I swear. I bought tons of stuff for you. And you know what I had to wait two hours to get through the customs. ", I tell. 
 
"That's so sweet of you.", Suho says. 
 
"You'll can probably pick it up from my apartment later. ", I tell. 
 
"Why don't we have dinner at your place?", Suho asks. 
 
"Okay. I don't mind. We can call for noodles also. ", I tell. 
 
"Cool. I will inform the manager that we are going to your place for dinner.", Suho informs. 
---------------------------
 
Kris's POV

I stand behind Mia while she types the password to her apartment. Someone pushes me from behind and my face almost falls into Mia's hair. I hadn't been this close to her before and hadn't sensed this before. But she smells sweet, her hair has this light scent and it smells incredible. I pull my face away from her hair but the scent still lingers in my head. 
 
"Sorry. ", Tao says for bumping into me. 
 
"It's okay.", I tell him. 
 
"Sorry. But the place is small. ", Mia says unlocking her door. 
 
We enter her apartment. I look around the apartment.  It's very simple and clean. There is one couch in the centre and many large colourful floor cushions stacked-up as a low couch towards one end of the sitting area. There is a table with two chairs just outside the open kitchen. 
 
"This is the sitting room and this is the kitchen", she points out to the sitting area and kitchen. 
 
"It's cute", D.O says. 
 
"It's so clean", Xumin says. 
 
"Yeah. Because I am not here most of the times", she explains. 
 
"Where is your room?", Chanyeol asks. 
 
"It's in the right", she points. 
 
"Can we go?", Chanyeol asks eagerly. 
 
"From when did you become such as gentleman? I though you would just barge in without my permission. ", she jokes. 
 
"I was just being courteous. Now that you have reminded me about my true self. I am going to check all your wardrobes. ", he sticks out his tongue and runs to her room. 
 
"Chanyeol. You better not open my drawers. ", she screams. 
 
Her room is cozy. There is a small bed and it is covered with so many pillows of different sizes. At the corner of the room, is a table with lot of papers, I assume it is work related. There is a huge bulletin board above the table. There are schedules and some reminders pinned on the board. My eyes draw toward the pictures pinned up. Every picture has something written under it. I study the pictures. First, is a picture of her family and 'My Life' written under it. The next is a picture of her with some girl and 'My Bestie' written below.  Next is a photo with Mr. Lee, 'My Coach'. The next is with Seung-Jo, Jenny and Jae-Jin in her office surrounded with papers, 'My Wingmen' written below. 
I stop at the picture of us, I haven't seen this picture before. I wonder when she took it. It is a picture of the twelve of us fooling around with each other and we all look so joyful. I read the words below the picture, "My Smile". I try to understand what she thinks about us? - Her smile? I wonder why we are the reason for her smile. It's actually the other way around. She is the reason for our smile. In the past few months, the twelve of us have truly felt happy whenever she has been with us. She has this positive energy or aura around her that makes you forget about your worries by just looking at her. She is the reason for our smile. 
My thought is broken by Mia shouting at Chanyeol

 
"Chanyeol, you dare not open my wardrobe. ", she warns him. 

"Stop it Chanyeol, or the angry bird will kill you. ", I tell Chanyeol
 
Mia glares at me and I smirk. 
 
"Why are there so many pillows in your house?", Xumin asks her. 
 
"I like my bed being full and I like hugging them when I sleep. ", she says feeling embarrassed. 
 
"Where will your future husband sleep?", Chanyeol's asks. 
 
"That's none of your concern. ", she says him irritated. 
 
"I pity your future husband.", he jokes. 
 
"Chanyeol. I swear if you don't stop talking now then I won't give you food. ", she threatens him. 
 
"Chill. I promise I won't tease your future husband but I won't stop teasing you. ", he puts out his tongue and teases her. 
 
"Guys can you stop arguing on stupid things and please come out to eat food. The noodles have been delivered. ", Luhan tells. 
 
We all go to the sitting area. Mia drags a bag behind her. She opens the bag and sits on the floor. All the guys rush towards her and drool over the different snacks and sweets. 
 
"I will deep fry these spring rolls", Mia says and walks to the kitchen. 
 
The guys rip apart one packet after another and try out the different snacks. I look at Mia working in the kitchen. Occasionally she glances at us and smiles just as a mother would watch over her little children. She empties the noodles in a large container and she places the fried spring rolls in the dish. She takes out cold drinks from the refrigerator and places on the table. 
 
"Guys, come and have dinner before it gets cold", she tells from the kitchen. 
 
None of us respond and are busy munching on the snacks. 
 
"Guys. Stop eating the snacks and eat your dinner. You'll can have them later. ", she yells. 
 
"Yes Mom", Chanyeol teases her.
---------------------------
After dinner, we decide to watch a movie. We finalise on Sandra Bullock starrer, "The Blind Side". As the movie progresses the guys keep falling asleep one by one. Baekhyun and Tao have slept on the couch. Sehun, Kai and Lay have cuddled up on the stacked-up cushion couch. All others are lying across the carpet floor. 

"Everyone has fallen asleep", Suho says. 
 
"You guys can stay here. I will inform the manager. ", Mia says. 
 
She goes to the kitchen to make the call. She comes out a few minutes later and informs Suho and me that the manager is fine with us staying over but we need to get back to the dorm by 9 in the morning. 
"Kris, can you help me get the mattress and blankets.", she asks me. 

 
"Sure", I say. 
 
I help her get the mattress and we put them in the sitting area. She puts a blanket over Tao and Baekhyun who are sleeping on the couch. She then goes to Sehun, Kai and Lay and carefully places pillows below their neck and puts the blanket. She goes to the room and pushes all the pillows from her bed onto the floor. We wake up Luhan and Xumin and ask them to sleep in the room. Suho and I spread out the mattress and ask D.O to sleep there. We drag Chanyeol and Chen and put them on the mattress. Mia, Suho and I stand and look over at the boys sleeping. 
 
"I am so exhausted. It's like putting little children to sleep. ", Suho exclaims. 
 
"They are worse than children. ", I say. 
 
"I am tired. I am going to sleep. ", Suho says and goes to sleep beside Chen on the mattress. 
 
"I need to make some place for you. ", Mia says trying to figure where I could sleep. 
 
"Come in", she says. We switch of the sitting room lights and go to the bedroom. 
 
She stacks her pillows on the floor and makes a comfortable place for me. She stands up and asks me "Is it okay?"
 
"Looks comfy" I say and walk to the pile of pillows. 
 
"What about you?", I ask. 
 
She points out to the floor which is about few feet away from me. I give her some of the pillows from my side. 

"I am fine", she says. 
 
"Mia. Don't argue", I tell her with a stern look. 
 
"Fine", she says and takes the pillow. 
 
"Here. ", she says handing me a blanket. 
 
"I will just turn the heating unit so that it's warm enough for the guys", she says and leaves the room. 
 
She comes back after a few minutes. She switches off the lights and lies down on the floor adjusting her pillows. 
 
"Goodnight Kris", she says. 
 
"Goodnight Mia", I say. 
 
It's been around 20 minutes and I see Mia turning and twirling from side to side. 
 
"Meoww", I say and she turns towards me. 
 
"What happened Kris?", she asks. 
 
"Aren't you getting sleep?", I question her. 
 
"I slept the entire afternoon and I am not getting sleep. Am I disturbing your sleep?", she asks. 
 
"No. I am not sleepy either. ", I say
 
"Okay. ", she says. 
 
"Do you want to listen to some music?", she asks. 
 
"Sure", I reply. 
 
She places her Ipod between us and hands me one side of the earphone and she puts in the other side in her ears.
 
The soft music of 'Maybe' by Yiruma plays.  

"You can change the music if you don't like. ", she whispers so that we don't wake Luhan and Xumin who are sleeping on the bed. 
 
"It's good", I reply. 
 
I watch her in the dim night lamp staring the ceiling.
 
"Reminiscence keeps us together" by Yiruma plays next. 
 
"Mia", I call

"Yes. Kris"
 
"The picture pinned on the board with 'my life' written below is your family?", I ask. 
 
"Yes. That's my family. My life. ", she says softly. 
 
"Why did you leave them and come to Korea?", I ask. 
 
"I did not leave them. ", she says and pauses. 
 
"I love my parents and two brothers. My younger brother is literally my life. It was the hardest to let go of him. My parents and brothers love me so much. I am really lucky to have them. I came here because I wanted to become independent. My life back home was very simple and I was getting tired of the monotony. I wanted new experiences. I just wanted to be proud of myself and on the way create a difference in someone's life. ", she explains. 
 
"Wow. You really know what you want to do in your life. ", I say. 
 
"No. I truly don't know a thing I want to do. I just know that I want to live everyday as it comes. I have been lucky and feel blessed all the time. Things just fall at the right time for me and I go along with it. ", she says. 
 
"No Mia. You work hard. I have seen you. You give up your entire self for one thing to get done. ", I tell her. 
 
"Maybe because I love my work. ", she says. 
 
"What about your family?", she asks. 
 
I don't know what should I tell her. I know I could trust her by telling her everything about my family and about my dad. I also know that I would feel less painful by letting it out to her and I know she would understand me. But I did not want her to worry about me. I see the way she worries about Luhan. Today, it hurt when I saw Luhan hugging her and weeping in her arms. I was not hurt because Luhan hugged her but my heart ached when I saw tears building in her eyes. She thought no one noticed her but I did. She worried about Luhan and she worries about all of us. But I don't want her to be worried about me. I don't want her to be hurt because of me. 
 
"It's just me and my mother", I tell her. 
 
"I bet your mother is really pretty", she tells. 
 
"She is.", I tell. 
 
"Mia", I call. 
 
"Yes Kris?", she asks. 
 
"Why didn't you ask me about my father?", I ask her out of curiosity. 
 
"Because you did not mention him. I thought you had some reason for not telling and I did not want you to tell me if you didn't feel like.", she says. 
 
"Thanks. ", I tell her. For understanding me.
 
Yiruma's "Sometimes, Someone" plays next. 
 
She doesn't say anything for a while. 
 
"Kris. You know I will always be there for you'll. Don't you?", she asks. 
 
"I know Mia. We can never get rid of you.", I . And i do believe she will always be there for us. 
 
"Can I ask you one more thing?", I ask her. 
 
"Why do you think we are the reason for your smile?"

"Because." she pauses. " EXO has changed my life in so many ways. Because of you'll I am getting these amazing experiences. It's because of you'll, I am getting opportunities to meet wonderful people. Because of you'll, I love my work and feel motivated to put in more efforts. And most importantly when I see a smile on you're faces I smile.", she says. 
 
"And it hurts you when you see us in pain.  ", I mumble. 
 
"What?", she asks. 
 
"Nothing. We should sleep. It's past 3 a.m", I tell her. 
 
"Good night wuff wuff", she says. 
 
"Goodnight Meoww."
 
Yiruma's "Moonlight" plays on next
 
I am just scared for Mia. I am scared that she cares so much about us and she may end up sacrificing herself for us. I don't want her to start loving us so much. But my selfish side wants her to. 
---------------------------
 
I wake up in the middle of the night to my new found favorite scent. MIA. We both had rolled over in sleep and were only few inches away.  She looks like one of the pretty young princesses from the fairy-tale.  She has curled up into a ball and hugging one of her pillows. Her soft curls fall over her face. Her lips are slightly curved into a small smile. She looks amazingly pretty. I roll back to my place and keep the distance between us just to avoid Mia to feel embarrassed and awkward when she gets up. I close my eyes and let sleep come. 
---------------------------

MIA's POV

My alarm clock wakes me up. I quickly switch it off before it wakes the guys up. I have a shower and get to the kitchen. I decide on sandwiches, fruits and cornflakes for breakfast. I sit on the table and start preparing the sandwiches. 

"Morning", D.O says coming to the table. 

"Good Morning. " I smile at him. 
 
"What are you making?", he asks. 
 
"Sandwiches. Is that okay?", I ask. 
 
"Yeah. It's good. ", he says. 
 
"Sorry. I don't have anything else at home. ", I say. 
 
"Mia. It's fine.", he says assuring me. 
 
"Do you want some help?", he asks. 
 
"No. I am good. You could probably start waking the guys up. ", I tell him. 
 
"That's a tough job. ", he says and I laugh. 
 
Slowly they getup one by one and head to the small kitchen table and grab sandwiches.
 
"Tao. Get up. We need to get going", Suho says while having his cornflakes. 
 
"Five minutes. ", Tao cries. 
 
"Kris isn't getting up either. ", Luhan says as he comes out of the room. 
 
Everyone except Kris and Tao are up. 
 
I go to the room to wake Kris.
 
"Kris. Please get up", I say
 
"Hmmm", he mumbles with a cute voice.
 
"Krisssssssssssss...... Pleaseeeeeeeee", I beg.
 
He turns towards me but does not opens his eyes. The pillows are spread all around his long legs. His gorgeously messy hair covers his calm face.
 
I kneel down towards him and gently tickle his feet. He twitches his toes but doesn't get up as yet. I start with the continuous tickle attack again. He chuckles and opens his eyes slowly.
 
"Mia. Stop", he groans.
 
"I won't stop until you get up.", I continue tickling his feet with one hand while trying hard to hold his shaky legs with the other.
 
"Okay. I am up.", he says sitting up straight. I stop tickling his feet.
 
I stand up and hold my hand out to help him get up. He gives me a small smile and wraps my palm with his fingers and steadies himself up.
 
We walk to the sitting room and see Tao still sleeping. 
 
I walk towards the mattress where Tao is sleeping. "Tao. We need to leave. Please get up", I say. He doesn't move. I look around everyone for help. 
 
Kai gives a sinister smile and jumps on Tao. Chanyeol and Sehun jump next. One by one, all land up on each other like a pile of blocks. 
 
"Get off me", Tao cries from below.
 
Everyone bursts out in a laughter and Tao finally wakes up.
 
 
---x---o---x---o---