01 - A New Start

Trust Me

~~ A New Start ~~

I was half way through my course in finance and business administration. I excelled in my studies and everyone admired me for my hard work. People always believed that one day i will succeed to head a multi-million dollar company. Everyone thought that my life plan was set and i will have a successful future.

But I was tired. Tired of this monotonous life. It dint seem to move on anywhere. Everyday seemed to be the same. I needed new experiences and a new perspective in life. 

I secretly applied to universities in Japan and Korea. I knew that there was very less scope to be accepted in the middle of the course, however I was hoping for some luck to be on my side.

And yes, luck was on my side. I got a call from Seoul National University. They were impressed with my academic history and invited me to complete my studies in their prestigious university.

I decided to leave this place for good and write my life with a new beginning.

A year in Seoul National University passed in a blink of eye. Although most of the time i spent in studying and making up for joining the course in the middle., I truly enjoyed every single day here. Everything seemed so captivating and enthralling. I made some really good friends, experienced so many interesting things about the Korean culture, was inspired by so many brilliant people i met. It was one great year!

Spring had just ended and the warm sun rays had began to stretch wide announcing the arrival of summer. I was sitting in the cafeteria with my friends Amy and Minah. We were chatting about what we will be doing once college gets over and how we will miss each other. Jess, our sweet classmate came running to our table with a bunch of forms in his hand and broke in "Hey guys! The company placement process will begin next week. Here are the application forms. Fill in the details and tick the companies that you want to apply".

We all thank Jess and get busy reading the application forms. I study the list of companies and their job profile and decide to apply for Samsung Group as the company was highly reputed all over the world and if ever I would want to go back home then I could request for a transfer.

While I was completing the details in the form, Minah suddenly jumps from her seat and exclaims "SM SM SM SM!!!!!". Amy joins Minah in her excitement and both start screaming " SM SM SM!!". I am wondering why are they so happy and excited. I question them ,"What is SM?". Minah looks at me with an open mouth and questioned "Mia!!! you don't know SM?". I am lost and tell "No." Amy then asks me, "Do you know Super Junior? Girls Generation? Gee Gee?".

I mentally recollect the names and remember how crazy these two as well as almost every person in this campus is about K-pop. In this past year, I have learnt a lot about this beautiful country however when it came to K-pop world, I was the least interested in knowing anything about this industry. I loved listening to music and typically enjoyed English country and pop rock genres. I always fell in love with a song but not the artist or the band which sang it. I never followed and understood the loyalty of people for the artist, especially in a place like Korea where music artists were titled as 'Idols' and were placed on the pedestal and worshipped by crazy fans like Minah and Amy. But I also never taunted my friends about their obsession and most often ignored their conversations about K-Pop.

Breaking from my thoughts, I reply "Oh Yea!!!!!  I have heard about them. The poster that you have put up on the wall in the hostel room". Amy as excited as ever I have never seen responds, " Yes. That one. So SM is the entertainment company that produces these boy and girl bands. And it would be so awesome to work for them. Imagine, if you get the job, then you will get to see so many hot and handsome guys".

" But the job is in the finance and business department, I don't think you will be working with these stars", I tell them. Minah goes on excitedly, " Yes.. We know, but then we may get lucky and may get to see them at least once." I really don't care much but I did not want to die down their new found happiness and tell them, "You guys should really apply."

Amy adds, " Mia, you better apply too. We all will apply." Before I could say no,  Amy took my form and ticked SM.

-------------------------------------

A few days later..........

I am sitting by the window and listening to my favourite playlist, when Minah runs into the room and stands in front of me like a child who has been given a chocolate house. She beams with happiness and excitements and asks me " Guess what?" . I ask, "What?". She questions again with a teasing smile,"Guess which company has accepted you?".

I am so beyond happy and to confirm her I ask , "Samsung?". Minah gives me a 'whats wrong with you look?' and quickly changes her expression back as an excited child and screams, "No!! SM!!"

I don't know what to say and sigh,"Oh!!" Minah looks confused and says, "Mia!!!! why aren't you happy? You know it would be amazing. You will have a wonderful time there. And you know what, I am going to be there too." I am happy knowing that she is so happy because she really wanted to join SM bad. But, I had hoped for a different career plan, I didn't see SM fitting in my plan. I mumble sadly, "But, I was hoping to join Samsung. You know..." Minah cuts me off before I can continue and says," Mia, I agree Samsung would be great. But SM would be super great. Trust Me. And also,  we will be there for each other. It will be really good. Please trust me on this." She makes a puppy face and says " Please!!!!"

I don't know. I am not sure of this. This is not what I had plan. But then thinking of it I had no choice, I don't want to go back home nor wait anxiously for other companies where I had applied to respond. Also,knowing that Minah will be there in the same company makes me feel more comfortable. One side of my head is saying that I will be making an impulsive decision if I accept this job. But then the other side is calm and saying that I should give it shot, if I hate it then I can quit. I give in to Minah and tell, "Okay, I will give it a shot!"

---x---o---x---o---