SNOW QUEEN

I: FROZEN HEARTS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I shivered in place. Damn it. I should've thought about this thing way back. Maybe I wouldn't be stuck into this pitiful situation – hiding under a kiddie slide, trapped in a playground for shelter and curled up with a cramped foot and a growling stomach. I facepalmed before reaching into my jeans pocket and taking my phone out, checking for any messages or calls from my workplace.

Maybe I could stay in the cafe for awhile...maybe just for the night. I scrolled down my contacts list, my finger hovering over the call button of my employer's name. Then I was reminded of the recent events that transpired between us – unwanted advances, suspicious offers and disturbing gestures. So being the wiser and realistic type, I have decided against asking him for help. Who knows what he'd do next?

I pressed the home button again, making the screen flash back to the main page, showing my wallpaper.

A clear hourglass with snow and snowflakes on the upper part while on the lower part, there were lush greens and flowers.

I can't help but feel envious towards the feeling of wanting to dream and hope for my life's own version of spring.

Will I even experience my own Spring?

After so much hardship, indifference and cruelty I've learned to face and gear up for all by myself,

How can I still even want something that's totally way out of my league?

I sighed in defeat, letting my head fall back against the hard plastic walls of the structure.

I've learned that it's better to not want too much, not to want more than what you can get...because in the end, you'd just have to suffer by the consequences of your own decision, the weight of your own choice.

Then my phone buzzed alive.

Message from Boss Lee:

InHyeong-ah, tomorrow, I'll have to ask you to work overtime.

I've special matters that I require of your help to do.

Don't worry, you'll get extra pay for this extra job anyways.

Oh and about that thing, I hope you didn't take it to heart.

I was just too overwhelmed.

I hope you'd take time to forgive me.

- Boss.

I rolled my eyes like a for the very first time today.

The nerve of this e! Didn't he get my mental note yet? I'm obviously not stupid enough to fall for his moves, more so his boorish personality, his bucket loads of money and his poor attitude.

I bit my lip, harder than I thought I'd do. I could feel my eyes sting from the intense glare I've been shooting the message he sent, most especially the last parts. And he even had the nerve to assume I'd forgive him? After how he almost pushed himself forcefully on me?

I didn't bother to give a reply back for now. I'm in a bad mood today and I wouldn't wanna make this worse. It's bad enough as it is already – to be asked to move out of a house and stay miserably in a kid's play area like this.

That's when a sudden resolution came upon me. That's right. Who'd wanna keep this job anyways? To be given a good pay but to have yourself harassed in exchange? Huh! No thanks. I went back to the home screen, tapping the button rather harshly.

Then I pressed the music player icon on my screen. Taking my earphones out from the side pocket of my sling bag, I plugged it in and selected a random song from the list.

Paramore, huh?

By the time the next song came, I felt flashbacks of my earlier years – the ones I spent within the orphanage that ran a Catholic church – zap into my mind, reminding me of how my childhood years went by.

I joined the choir and sang songs everytime the priests and nuns celebrated a mass. Back then, this song was the only one that I liked among all the other Christian songs. Despite me choosing to be a Buddhist later on, I still gave credit to the religion I was raised to learn about. As the first verse started, I found myself singing along to it.

At least this song is one of the very few things I loved about my childhood. I took a deep breath and continued singing to the chorus.

“So I lay my head back down,

And I lift my hands and pray.

To be only yours, I pray.

To be only yours, I know now,

You're my Only Hope.”

I sang the rest of the song until I came to the trickiest part – the bridge.

“I gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter