IV. An Initial Attraction

Red

Jessica did not get much sleep last night. All she did was sit up and lie down in bed. Whenever she tried to close her eyes, a weird sensation overcame her that kept her up, it kept her high like she was on ecstacy. Images of Sunny flashing through her mind gave her thoughts to ponder about and kept her up, kept her hyper, kept her wanting to think about Sunny more. The attraction she was feeling was none like any other and instantly she wanted it to go away. Figuring that she needed something to calm her down, Jessica got up and headed to the kitchen. She opened the fridge and poured herself a glass of bourbon and lit a Marlboro cigarette that she put in . 

I cannot feel like this. I'm not gay! I'm straight! I like men! I like men....

The thought of Jessica repeating to herself that she liked men made her realize something quickly. Made her realize that both relationships with men didn't work out.  The first and the recent one. Why didn't it? 

Jay caught me thrice looking at girls. I kinda cheated on him and made him jealous when I brought Tiffany along and we were acting so friendly and semi-flirty. That's why he cheated. He kinda knew I was into Tiffany. And I was. Why did I choose to meet Tiffany with Jay around? To keep me from making out with her. Because Tiffany and I had a fling. 

It all became clear to Jessica. She shook her head and drank her bourbon straight up. She wiped her face with her free hand and started to huff and puff. Looking at the clock, she realized it was 3 am and she hadn't gotten any sleep yet. 

"I have a date later. With Sunny. Someone I haven't met yet. And now, I look so haggard." Jessica inhaled more smoke and exhaled it, polluting her small bungalow.

Jessica extinguished her cigarette on the ashtray and walked away, smelling of smoke and alcohol.

[LATER THAT DAY]

After having showered and dressed, Jessica felt she was ready to go. She wore a pink crop top and jeans, something that would (or might) attract Sunny the least bit. Before leaving the house, Jessica thought it would be a nice gesture, at least on a stranger's part, to give a little gift. A welcome gift or a 'nice-to-meet-you' gift or a 'sorry-for-being-a-douche-on-social-media' gift.

"Anything." Jessica muttered out loud. Not knowing what Sunny liked or disliked; she thought a slice of cake would do her good. Jessica took a slice from the cake she had baked for Jonghyun supposedly and placed it in a tupperware container. Taking this with her and putting it in her big shoulder bag; she was set to meet Sunny.

[AT PIZZA HUT]

Pizza Hut opened at 10 am and since it was only 10:30, prety early into opening hour, there weren't that many people yet. Who would want pizza this early into the day now?

Sunny. And Jessica,  maybe.

Sunny was already inside Pizza Hut, sitting in a booth waiting for Jessica to arrive. She knew what Jessica looked like and she was also pretty sure that Jessica knew what she looked like so getting recognized was the least of her concerns. 

"Would you like to order now, ma'am?" asked the waiter who approached her, handing her the menu. Sunny waved her hand and said,

"Later. I'm waiting for my date."

"Okay. Just let me know." the waiter then sped away. Minutes into looking out the big fiberglass window of the restaurant, Sunny saw Jessica walking towards the establishment. Jessica looked fabulous as always and seemed to be carrying a lot in her shoulder bag. It made Sunny wonder what it was she was handling that made her bag so heavy. It made Jessica's shoulder droop down to one side. Never losing poise, Jessica attempted to straighten up her posture as she walked towards the booth the minute she spotted Sunny's golden, pixie-cut hair.

"You're Sunny, right?' she asked in a diva-ish sounding voice. The heat in her body started to escalate from the soles of her feet all the way to her torso. She felt a tingling sensation that rattled her joints and her legs. One she had never felt and thought would feel before. 

"Yes. I'm Sunny. Sunny Lee." Sunny extended her hand but Jessica just looked at it and smiled, trying hard to hide her attraction. She placed her heavy bag down on the couch next to her and slid into the booth, sitting adjacent to Sunny.

"I have something for you." Jessica said. She pulled a tupperware out of her bag and that tupperware contained chocolate cake. Jessica handed the tupperware to Sunny who vehemently declined.

"Oh my God, no thank you dear." Sunny said.  

'Take it. C'mon. It's the least I can do for accusing you of stealing my boyfriend. I never meant any of those words. Take it before I change my mind and leave you here." Jessica insisted. Sunny took the tupperware and placed it on her side of the table. The waiter then came and took their order.

"We'll have the Pan Pizza. Yes, the regular size. Two should be able to finish that, right?" Sunny asked Jessica.

"And two iced teas." Jessica followed up. The waiter took down their orders and sent them back to the kitchen.

"Look, for whatever it's worth and since it's really worth repeating, I didn't-" Sunny tried to explain but Jessica riased a finger before her.

"No. Your explanation is not needed. You're a lesbian. I get it. You're not into him. I know. Everything was a huge misunderstanding and I apologize for my behavior on Facebook chat. I know it hurts you that I'm this way but yeah. I'm sorry for that." Jessica had no idea how flustered she was. Her cheeks that were once pale were now bright pink, palms sweaty, legs shaky. Sunny just looked at her calmly.

"Your apology is accepted." Sunny smiled and leaned forward. She wore the typical boyish type of clothes. Plaid, checkered blouse and black jeans paired with Converse sneakers. A sharp contrast from what Jessica would wear. If you didn't look clearly, you'd think that they were boyfriend and girlfriend, given the nature of Sunny's hair. 

Jessica smiled at Sunny and Sunny returned a happy grin as they saw their pizza coming. The waiter set it down on the table and the two began to get their slices. As they ate, it was quiet at first until Jessica initiated a conversation.

"You have a girlfriend?"

And this was where everything really started.