Coming Home to a Heartbreak

Red

It was 2 in the morning and Sunny knew her parents were fast asleep. They were heavy sleepers, thus giving her every opportunity to sneak out of the house. Carrying on one shoulder a gigantic backpack filled with stuff, Sunny stealthily made her way out of her roomm and went down the stairs on her toes, trying hard not to let her backpack weigh her down. As she reached the ground floor, she took the spare keys that she had and put them in her pocket, for good measure. She slowly and surely opened the door and snuck outside, closing and locking it behind her. Once outside, she ran freely, ignoring the weight that the bag had.

Jessica was outside her house, just hanging around leaning on a post smoking a cigarette. It was fairly dark and she was waiting for Sunny. It was troublesome for her to think this way, letting Sunny in. She loved Sunny a great deal but Sunny had a bad emotional side, one that guilt-tripped her real good. Guilt tripped her into letting her live in her house. 

"Jessica! Jessica I'm here!!!!" Sunny called. Jessica's eyes shot open and she saw Sunny running towards her house. Sunny came crashing towards her, embracing her realy tightly and alowing the tears to flow. Jessica felt the cold drop of a tear on her shoulder, making her tap Sunny's back. She extinguished her cigarette by throwing it on the ground and stomping on it.

"Come on in." Jessica said. Sunny came in and dropped the bag on the floor. Jessica poured her a glass of water and handed it to her, which she gulped down almost immediately. Jessica looked at Sunny. Sad, destitute, rebellious. She had never seen anyone or at least encountered anyone brave enough to run away from home for her. 

She felt extra special. Like a senior citizen being opened a door for. Or a pregnant woman who got a free seat fromm a gentleman on the bus.

"What happened?" Jessica asked, lighting anohter cigarette. Her house seriously reeked of cigarettes and Sunny felt that something needed to be done about this.

"Parents-mom got mad. I came out. They got suspicious. I don't normally bring friends to the house, especially over for dinner. She knew something was up. She slapped me." Sunny turned her cheek and showed the slap mark hermother gave her. Jessica pressed her lips together, feeling the pain.

"Damn. So that's why you ran away and came here?"

"Yeah."

"Sunny..." Jessica shook her head. "Why?"

"Because I love you." Sunny said. "I love you and I want to be with you." Jessica smiled at Sunny and took her hand. She clasped it tightly in hers. She wasn't sure if she could break the news to her.

"Sunny, I have to tell you something. " Jessica said. Sunny braced herself for this for she felt that it was the absolute worst. 

"Wh-what?"

"Sunny, you're a great person. You know that. You are funny, talented, awesome in every single damn way. However, I think I'm not the person for you." Jessica said. Sunny's eyes were filled with dread and concern.

"JESSICA?!?!" Sunny dropped down to her knees and begged Jessica to take back what she said and somewhat love her.

"Sunny, I'm not. You know that. Seeing how you are, I don't think that I'm ready to fall in love. Not with you. Not with any other man or woman for that matter." Jessica said frankly. "These feelings I have for you, they're fleeting and I realized them just now. You have a lot of things to work on. Your family, your anti-socialness. Tons. I want you at this age to pursue what you want to pursue because you can be great."

"Jessica, no please. I love you. I will devote my entire life to you. those dreams, you're my dream!!! You understand me like no one else does!" Sunny cried, begging. Jessica felt pity for her.

"Sunny please stand up. Don't do this to yourself. You're better than this. Don't beg to have me in your life. You're a great person and you deserve greater. I know my inadequacies and I know I can never be in the same league as you. Find a woman who is as intelligent and talented and driven as you. Not a stupid drunk like me. You need someone who will help you succeed. I cannot do that. "

"So you mean all this time you were using me?!?" Sunny sounded angry now. Half-angry and half-crying.

"What?  No!!! I never used you. What I felt for you, the attraction, it was real. But it was fleeting. I realized it wasn't love." Jessica admitted. 

"But we made love?"

"Sudden gush of emotion and hormones. Happened to both of us. So much so for you." Jessica said. Sunny cried even harder. She then looked up and sniffed, wiping the flowing tears from her eyes with the back of her hand.

"You....you are the only woman I have ever loved this way. With a feeling as strong as this. And you shatter my heart." Jessica knew Sunny was about to curse her and damn her forever. Jessica braced herself for the harsh words.

"I didn't mean to. I realized that it was fleeting. You weren't a plaything. It was real. But it wasn't one that could last. I felt insecure about your everything. I didn't think I could compete. I also didn't want to get hurt. I got hurt already."

"I will never hurt you, Jessica. Give me another chance!!!!" Sunny said, kissing Jessica's hand. Jessica felt sensations, but balled her hand in a fist as a sign of restraint and control.

"Sorry. But I cannot force myself to be with you for your sake only. It's for the best. For the both of us. We're young. We need time to grow." Jessica said. "I especially. I cannot kick my smoking habit. How much more of a wife would I be to you?!? You deserve better, someone who would nourish you and help you grow." Jessica said. Sunny remained quiet for a greater part of the conversation. She looked at her things and saw how heavy they were. Jessica glanced that way too. 

"C'mon now. I'm not the only woman." Jessica said, Sunny's short, sandy-blonde hair. Sunny looked up at Jessica and realized that probably this stupid drunk was right. Probably this girl was making sense for the first time.

"Alright." Sunny said. "I have no choice. I'll always love you, though." Jessica smiled at the sign of positivity.

"You'll be fine. Besides, you can never tell what'll happen in the future. Who knows, we might cross paths!" Jessica said. This brightened Sunny up and helped her stand up again. Saying no words, she wrapped her arms around Jessica's neck and kissed her cheek. Gathering her things, she left the house.

Jessica sighed and smoked, wondering if what she did was the right thing.