Dinner

Red

Dinner was finally served by the girls. Sunny's haggard parents went over to the dining room and sat down. The tiredly served themselves some of the vegetable stew that they made together. Jessica watched as Sunny sat down and waited for her friend to motion her to do the same.

"Come, sit." said her silent voice. Jessica blinked her eyes rapidly and pulled the chair, sitting down. 

As the Lee family ate their dinner awkwardly and silently, Sunny figured that she would break the ice and talk about their special guest for the night. Jessica.

"Jessica here is a friend of both mine and Jonghyun's." she said. Jessica almost choked when she heard Jonghyun's name but didn't make it all that obvious. Mrs. Lee looked at her and began to ask her questions.

"Where are you from, Jessica?" Mrs. Lee asked.

"Oh, just around the place. Hawaii Street to be exact. Same subdivision."

"I believe you are a new friend of my daughter's, yet you get along quite well." Mrs. Lee took another spoonful of the stew. 

"It's a good thing that someone actually takes interest in her." Mr. Lee butted in. Jessica and Sunny were both taken aback by what he had said, as if Sunny was a very boring and uninteresting person.

"I know. Sunny's very antisocial and rarely goes out to make friends. It's good you let her in."

"Yeah." Jessica smiled and nodded. Sunny could only manage a mere, embarrassed smirk.

"Also, try to influence her on fashion, huh? She can be a real drag sometimes." Mrs. Lee snickered. Sunny was obviously offended and would have walked out if it weren't for Jessica's presence. Jessica just looked on and smiled a timid smile for her friend. 

"Sorry." she mouthed. Sunny shook her head and smirked.

"Used to it." Jessica just nodded awkwardly as they continued to eat in silence. 

[AFTER DINNER]

Sunny and Jessica started to clear up the table after dinner. The two went to the kitchen and got washing while Sunny's parents went up and took a rest. As the two did their chores, Jessica couldn't help but bring up what her parents had just said.

"No offense but I can't believe your mom talks to you that way." Jessica said while scrubbing a plate. Sunny merely shrugged and smirked.

"Nah I'm used to things like that. I just try to understand them. They're old and tired. They don't also talk to me that much. Busy with work."

"So you're really alone, huh?"

"Kinda." Sunny shrugged. They washed the last of the plates and stood around for a bit longer.

"You headed home?" asked Sunny.

"Yeah. My house is just a short walk away. I should be fine." Jessica said.

"Let me walk you." Sunny offered. Knowing that there was more than just physical attraction involved, Jessica agreed. They exited the kitchen and Sunny didn't even bother holler at her parents to let them know she was going out. 

"You don't tell them where you're going?" Jessica asked, surprised. Jessica didn't live with her mother anymore so she was kind of liberated. But still, Sunny's behavior towards her parents was quite questionable. 

"Nah. They don't care about me. Now come on. You gotta get home." Sunny said. Jessica followed suit and the two walked in the moonlight, hand in hand with Jessica guiding and telling Sunny where her house was.