Chapter 5 : Scrutinizing

My Enemy, My Lover

"You punk!" Chang Joo stood up, not caring his image and roll his sleeves. He swings his fist towards Gary and it landed directly on his nose, a hard punch. "Ha-ji-ma(Stop it)!" Ji Hyo shouts loudly and push Chang Joo's hand away. Gary's nose began to bleed. Gary who used to be a boxer would not give up easily on a fight unless a winner is determined. "How dare you.." he run towards Chang Joo and charged with a roar like bull. They both fell on the floor and Gary punches his rib cage while sitting on him each time he says a word. "You...is...this..how you..treat...your girl!" he says and gives him unbroken punch with strong force like how he fought in the fighting ring. Chang Joo release a painful shout and he too,continuously punch Gary on his stomach. "What do you know!"Chang Joo scream with his rough voice. Chang Joo could not bear that awful pain, he gathered all his last strength and punch Gary on his face. Gary fell on the floor, feeling taste of blood from his mouth. He crawl up and attempt to revenge."Gary Oppa! Stop! Please..." Ji Hyo rush over and hug him from his back. His heart softens when she begs her and his hands immediately stops right in front of Chang Joo's face, who is lying devastated on the floor. Both are full of injury. Chang Joo crawled up feeling like his rib cage is tearing apart. "Song Ji Hyo, I see...Kang Gary again huh? You must be happy right now, dating other guys right after-" he said and coughs in pain when he almost finish his sentence. "You have no right to comment her...when you yourself are doing such disloyalty things..." Gary went back to him and grab his collar, almost lifting him up, only the tip of his legs are on the floor. "I suggest you leave this troublesome girl soon too, she is not worth at all.." he says directly in front of him and both men look at each other with fierce eyes. The staffs quickly ask everyone to leave the scene and most of them are famous inheritors or artist. It is a sure thing that they will not spread the news out as they are all close friends of Gary. At that moment when Chang Joo ask Gary to leave Ji Hyo too, Gary realize that they had surely broken up already based on his words. He loosen his grip and Chang Joo breath heavily. "No, it should be you that is not worth to be with such good girl. She don't deserve such unmanly man. Even if she is imperfect to you, at least she is perfect to me.." Gary unknowingly confess his feelings through his anger towards him and Ji Hyo stood in shock after listening to his sentence. "No matter how terrible a girl is, a guy should never let them down. Every girl deserves respect. If you're a real man, please consider again whether you're doing it right or wrong. I apologize for the fight earlier, but I normally can't take it when jerks appear in front of me. You can report me if you want, and I will take all responsibilities. Ka-ja(Let's go) Ji Hyo yah.." he finishes his sentence and pull her away, and Ji Hyo quietly follows. 

Gary pull her into his car and both sit in the car without the engine on."Oppa...mianhae..."  Ji Hyo feels truly sorry towards him. She place her hand on his face and wipe off the blood stain on his face with her thumb. "Don't worry, I'm alright.." even in pain, Gary reply her with a smile to not let her worry. Her hand suddenly stop wiping and gently place on his face, she look her with a pair of grateful eyes. Gary quietly stare at her too, but he wan't so sure what is exactly in her mind. "Ji Hyo yah..." he startled when she suddenly move forward and hug him around the neck from the passenger seat. He sit still and stiff, not knowing how to response her hug. "Just let me show how thankful am I to have you here..." she whisper to his ears and hugs him silently afterwards.

Gary's POV

Her warm hug. The first hug, true hug she gave me without any cameras around. I feel the hug from her heart. Even if she did not speak a word, this hug can mean more than a thousand words.

Ji Hyo's POV

Everything seems to happen naturally without me controlling. I just want to give him my biggest and warmest hug at this moment. I feel his broken heart that I causes, I want to heal his broken heart. I'm sorry, Kang Hee Gun(Gary's real name)

Gary slowly move his hand and place it on her shoulders, responding to her hug. The stayed in each's warm embrace for a moment. For once, the reality is lost and what is left is only two beating heart. No words spoken.

"Ji hyo..you shouldn't..." Gary broke their hug suddenly and push her away. "Oppa...I'm really sorry...I should've realize earlier, that you've been the one who is always there for me.." she replied in tears. "Don't cry..." he gently wipe off her tears. "That fight earlier, is what every man will do for a girl, even to a friend. I admit that I've been treating you way different than the past and..maybe..It is just because my lifestyle isn't the same?" he explains himself, still not wanting Ji Hyo to know his true feelings. " I just felt that all sorts of changes in you began with me..." she sobs while she speaks, trying hard not to let her tears fall. " Feelings are not always right. Ji Hyo-yah, I'm sorry for your break up with Chang Jo-ssi. You should go back and rest, so take care. Find Oppa, or any other of our Running Man members. We will be always here, to listen to you...as your..brother.." he continues to persuade her that what she felt is not right. "I'm okay Oppa. You might be true, I must be thinking too much.." she felt slightly disappointed in her heart and step out of the car. "Find me when you need a talk, anytime." Gary still felt sorry that her relationship ended in such a way, although he isn't sure what is the reason. "Still, thank you,Kang Gary.." 

Ji Hyo's POV

 "At least she is perfect to me.." this should meant more than just normal relationship right? What does Gary Oppa actually mean by that....

Gary's Pov

"Kang Gary again huh?" I wonder what does Chang Joo meant earlier when he mention my name. Is it me, who is bothering their relationship?

**

 "Ahh.. is it so?" Jae Suk sigh upon hearing the sad news. "We should not joke about Chang Joo anymore then..." Jong Kook add on. All the men in Running Man had their dinner together without Ji Hyo as she is busy with her drama schedule and Gary told them about Ji Hyo's break up, not wanting them to remind her about Chang Joo anymore. "Is noona alright?" Kwang Soo worriedly ask Gary and he slightly nodded. The six men talked for hours, which mens don't usually does that. Their topic was mainly, how to avoid conversations that will not remind Ji Hyo about her relationship. All of them care a lot about each other, especially when their only girl in Running Man, Ji Hyo faces problem. Between their talks, Jae Suk constantly glance towards Gary direction, and realize his special kind of emotion every time they speaks about Ji Hyo. "Gary-yah, can you give hyung a ride home?" Jae Suk ask Gary for a ride home when all of them are about to go home although Jae Suk can actually call his manager to pick him up. "Ah Hyung, of course!" Gary answered without hesitating.

"Gary-yah, can you tell hyung the truth?" Jae Suk suddenly popped out a serious question after their previous conversation with laughter ended. "Ah hyung, wae-geu-rae( why are you like this)?" Gary replied him with his own kind of nervous tone. "You..have nothing towards Ji Hyo right?" Jae Suk look at Gary as he questioned, even Gary is looking straight to the front, acting like he is focus on driving. "What do you mean? She's like my younger sister.." he replied but his conscience pricked him. "Jeong-mal(Really)...I just felt that you and Ji Hyo are acting really weird..." he continues and Jae Suk suddenly speaks very formally, unlike the usual him. "Hyung, maybe she's my Monday Girlfriend on screen and I show her more concern, nothing much.." Gary replied Jae Suk, trying to add in an excuse for himself too. "I can't read your mind, and I won't know what is right or wrong. If...you really have something kept in your heart, Gary, you should not keep it in. It is not right for both sides. Sometimes, keeping your own feeling can cause pain in many people, especially yourself. Jal-ssaeng-gak-hae(think properly)..." Jae Suk gave his last advice as Gary's car turn in to the junction where his house is. "Hyung, I know what you mean..." Gary replied him and realize what Jae Suk said is not wrong too. He parked his car at the side of Jae Suk's apartment and unlock the door. "geu-reom(then)...see you soon..." without much, Jae Suk bid him a goodbye and get down the car. Jae Suk don't usually speaks much off-screen but when he does, he really want the person listening to keep it in mind and Gary knows it very well. "Hyung...thank you.." Gary bid him goodbye too and did not say much.

He drove home, thinking of what Jae Suk told him. Thinking if he should really tell Ji Hyo what made him this way throughout the years, or just continue all his lies. He walk around his apartment trying to find something better to do instead of bursting his head thinking what should he do. He came across the copy of Running Man episode 183 on the table which one of the staff saved for him, knowing that he would not have time to catch the broadcast on TV. Indeed, he did not get any spare time to watch it yet since that episode aired few days back. Remembering that there are quite some Monday Couple moments when they filmed the episode, he immediately picked up the soft copy in his pendrive and connect it to the TV, hoping that this episode can give him,perhaps an answer. It was an episode about finding the real 'Destiny Partner'. Since it was new year, the producer decided to hire a fortune teller to tell everyone of them, including the guests their luck in life and relationship throughout the year. The goal of the race is to guess their destined matches among themselves based on their fortunes. The pairs decided based on the hints are asked to stand on the dropout floor during the final mission and one wrong guess, everyone will fall into the bottom from where they are standing. 

"They both have good marital compatibility. They both have letters that match each other. They also have a food fortune in wealth."

The recording of the best fortune teller's was played as the confetti popped out, confirming that  Monday Couple is a destined pair and their guess was right. Gary remember the production team saying they were shocked too, when almost all the fortune teller they seek said that both of them are match made in heaven. "Is the fortune teller asking me to confess?" he quietly mumble to himself and bites his lips. "Ah..Stress!" he slaps himself after zoning out. Ji Hyo's face confuses him as well. Her happy face was priceless when the fortune teller told them they were destined pair. Gary is confuse with her reaction, looking like she want to be him so badly. 

*phone rings suddenly and dropped on the floor*

"Ah..what is it?!" he picked up the call knowing that it is his manager, a little pissed at him for calling at such time.

"Yah! I'm telling you a good news! So treat me better..." he sighed at Gary, understanding that he is always like that towards him.

"Mianhae...Wasn't in a good mood. What is it?" Gary lower down his voice and asks him again,realizing that he was a little disrespectful earlier.

"You know...'Sudden Attack'(korea famous shooting game) called today and they are creating a new character. They are planning to create you as one of their character and also invite you over to do a dubbing for the character's voice! Daebak.." he said in excitement.

"Jin-jja? Hyung, I've heard about this game and most of the gamers love it. Jong Kook Hyung played this game too!" Gary cheered while he reply, feeling honoured to be invited. 

"Awesome right? Yah, you can even see your Monday Girlfriend more since you're doing it with Ji Hyo-ssi.." his manager replied him fluently.

"What?! Ji Hyo?!" Gary's jaw dropped.

**

"Mwoh? Unnie, why is it with Gary Oppa?" Ji Hyo on the other hand is utterly shocked by the news too.

"Monday Couple's popularity is no joke! You and Gary-ssi as the new character will be..Jjang(best)!" Ji Hyo's manager reply while laughing at how much popular this game will be if both the Monday Couple accepted this offer. 

"But...Un-"

"Yah, this is a good opportunity. It would be fun, to see your very own character in a game.They want to create a new pair in the gaming world..and the best choice is Monday Couple!" she cuts Ji Hyo's sentence and continuously tells her how much fun it can be.

**

"This will be a success.." the co-founder of the game thanked Gary and Ji Hyo for accepting his offer. "While we prepare, please rest.." he told the two of them who is sitting side by side, preparing to record their voice for the character. The staff gave left a laptop in front of them and played them a clip of the character in the game. "Ye-pu-dda(pretty)..." Gary pushes Ji Hyo as he see her character, drawn by the game creator. It is so realistic that both of them watches the whole clip silently afterwards. "i-ssang-hae(weird)..." Ji Hyo laughed at the part when the two cartoon character hugs and says "I love you" towards each other. "They drew it so real, I almost thought that I am the one saying that to you.." they joke around to avoid embarrass situation. "Aha! That will be impossible, Oppa" she reply him without hesistation, eyes fixed on the laptop, still amazed by her very own character in the game.

"Ji Hyo-yah, what if...." Gary suddenly speaks out, noticing that no one is around during that time.

 

"What if?" Ji Hyo questioned him after he paused for a long time.

**

Author's Note : Update! YAYYYY(again)! I always feel so happy when I can finally finish a chapter and update it. Lol...and again, all parts are created by a fan's imagination, except the Running Man episode and Monday Couple's invitation to dub in a game called Sudden Attack. :) Comments anyone? :/