Chapter 18 : Hassle

My Enemy, My Lover

"You look beautiful today" Gary smiled starring at her from the back while Ji Hyo's stylist move left to right finding the right position for each strand of her hair. She was already in her night gown preparing for the SBS Entertainment Award ceremony. "You look smart in that grey suit too Oppa..." she smiled and look at him through the reflection of the mirror. "You don't need to be so precise on my hair, it'll get messy eventually..." she laughed and how serious her stylist look. "Gue-dae(That's right)...she'll look gorgeous even with messy hair.." Gary add on smiling. "Oppa, ha-ji-ma!" she stopped him looking really embarrassed. "Ayeee..I'm just stating the truth..Arasso..Ji Hyo-yah.. i'll go first...see you later in your beautiful dress" Gary left as he heard lesser footsteps outside the dressing room. They try to keep it as low as possible to avoid hassles. Only people who are close to them like the whole Running Man production team knows what's going on with these two people.

"Let's welcome the Running Man team" the emcee of the red carpet announced and the seven of them walk. Gary stood in a distance awkwardly and Ji Hyo, was walking in the front leading them. Eventually they walk side by side when the other members pushed him to the front.

"I thought your hair wasn't like that earlier.." Gary whispered as they were all seated. "She got fed up and tied up all my hair..." she laughed replying. "Why? Do I look better if I let my hair down?" she then continued. "No, I was just curious. You look perfectly fine in my eyes, always.." he replied her softly with a wink. "Erhmm...." Jae Suk cleared his throat to aware them as people are coming and passing by their tables.

Halfway through the ceremony, Gary and Haha stealthily leave as they need to attend another event for New Year concert. Ji Hyo waved, depressed knowing he'll be away. The table became emptier without the two playful ones.

To : Ji Hyo

Don't worry much. I'll be back before it's your turn to present the Daesang!

From : Gary Oppa

He knew she's been worrying about presenting one of the best award, especially when it's going to be with the SBS President. She's been complaining to him how she might stutter.

#Flashback#

"Hello, I am Song Ji Hyo..." Ji hyo walks about the living room holding a small script. "Mwoh-hae(What are you doing)?" He hugs her from the back starring at the paper she's been holding for the past one hour. "The script for the award presentation..." she sighed. "I'm so nervous..." she turned around facing him. "Don't worry about it..it's just a minute or two.." he tried calming her. "You know how I'm always bad at emceeing..." she replied him, even more depressed. "I don't think so...you've been doing great in Running Man for the past few years...just present your most natural charm.." he smiled while combing her hair. "I promise you I'll rush back right after my performance. Just relax.." he cheered her up.

#End Of Flashback#

"Noona, your phone keeps beeping" Kwang Soo handed her phone that he's been keeping in his pocket since her night gown would not have any pocket to keep it. 

**

"Hyung, you sure you don't want to get change?" Haha asked after Gary rushed to the backstage. "I'm fine with this...Let's go already" he packed up a few things and went off together with Haha back to the venue of the award ceremony right after the concert.

Running Man won a few prizes and when the end is nearing, before Ji Hyo's turn, Gary and Haha tiptoed from the back. Haha is back in his formal suit but Gary look haggard, still wearing his concert attire. Ji Hyo didn't bother about his clothes, but smile widely for his presence."Why didn't you change?" Jae Suk asked in concern. He's worried that Gary's attire might be too informal for the event. "My performance ended late and I didn't have time to change. I've told the SBS team, they say it's fine since everyone knows I have two events going on.." he convinced Jae Suk. "Right Hyung, my performance ended so much earlier than his so I changed. Gary Hyung tried his best not to miss this ceremony.." Haha explained as well. Ji Hyo then went backstage trying her best to overcome her fear, while Gary stare at her lovingly when she walked out. She was biting her lower lip and she walks on the stage and he knew her heart must be beating as fast as a bullet train. He waved at her to calm her down, and she did, burst out laughing on stage. "Stop teasing her!" Haha pushed him and they laughed. She was all calm, and presented the award being her natural self. Gary was giving her a confident face to assure her that she's doing great through her speech.

Overall, the whole Running Man team won four awards and the whole team decided to have an after party as a celebration. The best place for a secret party like so is definitely Gary's restaurant. The whole team, almost up to 40 people gathered. It was crowded, yet fun. They all crowd in the restaurant, drinking and thanking everyone for their contribution in Running Man. "Thank you all, cheers!" Jae Suk raised his glss of soju standing up. "CHEERS" everyone cheered and gulped down each of their soju. "Before... I've never imagine this show will be so famous, especially in other countries.." one of the producers talks about the times when they just started the show. They talked for hours, and eventually everyone scattered around talking in different groups about different topics. Jong Kook was showing off how he trained Kwang Soo in the gym and he forced him to flex his muscle. On another side, Jae Suk was chit chatting to a few of them about how he pursue his success in the comedian industry. It wasn't an easy road but he felt thankful for where he is now. Haha and Suk Jin went around making jokes. While the two lovebirds, Gary and Ji Hyo hang around at one corner having their usual talks.

"Let's take a picture!" one of the staff stood up holding his smartphone, and everyone adjusted their position to be seen in the picture. Gary and Ji Hyo did not hear that since the atmosphere was so crowded and noisy, what more when both are sitting at a faraway corner. "Yah, you two.. continue that later! We'll take a picture now.." Jong Kook screamed with his mosquito voice. "A-ye Hyung-nim" Gary replied with his usual Gary's slang, stood up running to the middle, Ji Hyo following behind him. He squeezed and sat among the staffs. Ji Hyo didn't know where to stand and she naturally stick close to him. "Why are you both so glued to one another!" they all teased them. "Wol-yo-ko-peul(Monday Couple)! Wol-yo-ko-peul!" one of them began chanting and the rest joined in cheering as if they want them to do a performance. "What's with the cheering?" both were awkward. They were all so hyped up since most of them drank quite some amount of alcohol. "Arasso arasso.." Gary hug her waist tight and lean on her chest. Ji Hyo too, willingly hug his neck and did a shy smile. They are just really comfortable with the whole Running Man team since they all knew in and out about them both. "Yah! Stop being the spotlight of the picture" Haha screamed from one corner after a few pictures taken, and both of them striking different couple pose that would obviously be the centre of attention no matter how you look at the picture. "Okay, a normal one... 1, 2, 3..." the last picture taken and Gary still didn't let go of Ji Hyo, and the party continues. They all drank all night long and played random games at times, even forcing both of them to play 'pepero game' with vegetables. When the whole team gathers, it is basically unstoppable.

**

"Oppa! Oppa!" Ji Hyo shake him really hard while he's still soundly sleeping. "It's not the usual way of you waking me up. Where's my morning kiss?" he sighed in his daze. "OPPA!! LOOK! I'm serious!" she stretch his eyelid and placed her phone directly above his eyes. "What is it..." he sat up and rubbed his eyes, and she hand him the phone.

"KANG GARY AND SONG JI HYO INTIMATE PICTURE AT POCHA"

The title was the first thing he saw, his heart skips a beat. He open his eyes wider and saw the picture taken during the after party posted on one of the website. "The picture that day...how did that happen..." Gary stared at it and he seemed bewildered. "What should we do.... It seems like one of the staff posted in their private social account.." Ji Hyo sighed so loudly it's almost impossible to get louder than that. "My phone kept ringing since morning.." she threw her phone lightly on the bed. It beeps again. "See that...again.." she lie down covering her face with a pillow. He stared at her worriedly, and pick up her phone. "Noona....yes...I understand....It was my fault for being not careful...I'll get back to you..." he spoke to her manager, while Ji Hyo peeked from under the pillow.

"Ji Hyo yah...don't get troubled by this. We'll calm down for a bit and think of a solution..." he calm her, even he know it doesn't really help in this situation. "Let's just go to your company first.."

**

"You should be more careful...Ji Hyo yah..." her manager starts nagging. Ji Hyo scratches her hair and it got all messed up. "Since I'm on my own company, and I think it should be alright to announce our relationship up to this point. We can't hide any longer. LeesSang company will take all responsibilities in the announcement. Should we?" Gary suggested. He thinks that denying such obvious fact is a silly thing to do. " No, you can't be doing that Gary-ssi.." she warned him absurdly after hearing what Gary intended to do. "Don't tell me even after this, you're going to go around saying it's just a brother-sister relationship? What is wrong with announcing? We're really serious..." Gary raised his voice. " You just can't do that. No matter what, our company is denying the fact. It has been decided...LeesSang company should do the same when answering to the media.." her manager immediately shoots back. Ji Hyo kept quite all time, she knew she's contracted and didn't have the stand. "It's just so stupid to do so..." Gary got fired up. "Oppa..." she calmed him and shakes her head, knowing that she had no choice but to follow first. "Ah...Reporter Kim.." Ji Hyo's manager walked off to the corner as her phone rang but her voice was still clear enough for them to hear. "Of course not! You know they've been in Running Man for almost five years. They are really close family...Don't be so conservative! There's really nothing wrong with hugging your close family.." she walk out of the room, continue talking to one of the reporter.

"Oppa..let's just bear with it this time...I'm sorry.." Ji Hyo sighed. "Ji Hyo yah...trust me.. it's really not a big problem. Don't get so worried alright. I bet my company is in a mess about what to explain now and I'll get going...Remember, don't worry!" he cheered her up and urgently return to his office. LeesSang company followed and deny the rumours as well, unwillingly.

**

"I'm always supportive when it comes to you. But this time I can't help it..." Ji hyo's manager take a sip of her tea and sighed. "I really don't understand what's so wrong about my relationship being obvious..." Ji hyo sighed even louder. "It's not about being wrong but it's originally the company's policy that actresses should not date until the contract is terminated.." she tried explaining to Ji Hyo. Throughout these period, Gary and Ji Hyo has been acting very obvious and her company's board meeting discussed about how perilous this relationship can be. "Even the CEO himself, Chang Joo Oppa told me to follow what I feel....so why can't I?" Ji hyo still felt unfairly treated.

"Yes, we are all alright with you being in a relationship, but announcing it is another problem...what happens to your reputation if both of you decided to break up one day? You'll surely be affected and Gary is with you on Running Man, your most important project in your career. Your performance will be affected, for sure. Don't forget the period where you both had this awkward relationship. You don't want that to happen again don't you?" she was stern at her words. "Unnie, you don't even make any sense.." Ji Hyo furiously fumble her hair. "What do you even mean by us breaking up one day? I don't think i'll ever let that happen..." Ji Hyo continued. "It's not that I'm saying that both of you WILL breakup, but WHAT IF. Things in the future can't be predicted now...you just won't know IF that really happens. So why not take precautions on it before it happens?" she tried to convince Ji Hyo again. Ji Hyo kept quiet. "Anyway, I had to do this since I've been told to. I'll talk to the producer team of Running Man tomorrow and request them not to pair you up with Gary so often. As less screen time as possible for Monday Couple. Okay? I'm so sorry my dear" she placed both hands of Ji Hyo's shoulder. "What? Not to that extend?!" she raise her voice angrily, which, she rarely does it to her manager. "I'll leave..." she couldn't help but to leave her for a long thought. "and please...try not to stay with Gary so much and let others, especially media discover..." Ji Hyo's manager then walk off her apartment.

"Urgh" she banged her head to one of the pillow.

**

To : Kang Gary

Oppa... I really miss you. Can we meet up and talk tonight?

From : Mong Ji

Gary picked up his phone halfway through his recording in his studio. He could sense that she is certainly unhappy about something.

"Oh...Ji Hyo yah, are you alright?" Immediately, he dialled her number. "Oppa...." her voice was soft to hear. "Are you crying?" he replied her in concern. Ji Hyo just could not hold her tears when it comes to Gary. She rely onto him almost on everything. "Ani..." she denied but her voice trembles. "Pabo yah, don't cry. I will be there in 20 minutes..I Love you" Gary was anxious. He immediately wear his cap, took his car key and rush out from the studio, leaving the job halfway done.

"You must be suffering...sorry I wasn't around with you all time.." he hugged her the moment he stepped into her house. She doesn't need to speak a word for him to comfort her. His hug is already the best thing she can get at this moment. Ji Hyo sobbed a little even when she tried so hard to hold back. "Oppa...what should I do..." she speaks softly beside his ears and hug him tighter. "Tell me...." he gently her back. "I'm not allowed...to get so close to you anymore.." she hardly told him the truth.

"Mwoh(What)? Your company still isn't happy even after they forced you to deny our relationship?" he broke the hug and gave her that serious face. "Unnie just told me she had to reduce Monday Couple as much as possible on Running Man..." she lowered her head feeling ashamed to cause so much problems to Gary. "Why? Even on Running Man?" it is quite obvious that Gary really couldn't accept what her company did anymore. Ji Hyo sighed, not knowing how to continue the conversation. He hugged her tight for a few good minutes to calm her, but his brain can't think straight as well. He was as much, troubled by the decision.

"I mean...what are they to control human as they like..." Gary could not hold his emotion himself after calming Ji Hyo. He was dissing her company in disrespect. Ji Hyo sat quietly allowing him to release his anger. She knew him well enough. When it comes to his life, he doesn't like to be controlled, especially when he takes their relationship so seriously.  "Urgh..." he grumbled. His head was low, and both hands supporting his head.

"Ji Hyo yah, jal-saeng-gak-hae( think carefully)... your contract is ending soon, right?" he lifted up his head as if he sees hope and he was really serious, she nodded. "Why not...just end it after this term ends..." Gary suggested the only solution to end all troubles. "Oppa....I don't know..." Ji Hyo didn't think much since she has been in that company for a really long time and does not have a plan to leave yet. She did not expect Gary to suggest that either. "Ji Hyo yah, I'm being serious...you can go without a company, it is always free and easy...Isn't that what you really like?" he held her hands and look directly into her eyes. Perhaps for Gary, this is the only hope he sees. "But Oppa...I've been there for a really long time already. This unplanned change will be vey difficult for me.." she thought about more things if she were to really leave. "If you don't like the idea of being an unsigned artist, you can still come with me.. Don't forget I have LeesSang company too..." Gary started having ideas. " You can join my company..right?" he continued. "Oppa....I..." she is at loss of words. "What are you unsure about? It doesn't even brings you an disadvantages. If you continue you contract, it means few more years of hiding and denying..." Gary was expecting that Ji Hyo would go with his plan. "It's not easy as that Oppa....." there's unwillingness in her voice. "There's so many project scheduled now even up to the date where my contract ends...I've been working so hard for those projects..." she continued and his expression was slightly disappointed.

"Ji Hyo yah...it'll be really tough for you if you stay this way....." he was putting all his effort to persuade her. "What's more important than us being happy?" Gary continued, and he was impatient. "I don't know..." Ji Hyo was so confused and she could not gave him any proper response. Both his hands drop from her shoulders, and there was such huge disappointment in his eyes. "I see.." his head topple. He replied her so calmly it scares her. Gary kept quiet the whole night, sitting on the couch, and he does not move, even an inch.  

"Oppa...don't be like that..." she grab his arms with both her hands. He let out a loud sigh. "I guess it's my fault to even suggest such ideas....I'll leave first..." as ice cold, he stood up and left her house. She stared at him leaving.

To : Ji Hyo

I just wanted to protect you. Why don't you understand?

From : Gary Oppa

 

Author's Note : Like AGAIN, finally an update. I'm still really thankful to readers that continue reading my story even though it's always dead. Anyway, to those who aren't such strong MC Shippers and doesn't know about that Monday Couple Pocha incident, just search it in google hahahah and there's tons of the image.