Chapter 4 : Confusion

My Enemy, My Lover

"I need to sleep..." Ji Hyo turn around on her bed in frustration. She was suffering from insomnia since few days back and not so sure about what is actually bothering her. She tries to put things together, thinking that what was stopping her from sleeping is that Chang Joo and her relationship is gone within a minute after so long but what made her worried is, none of that came out in her mind. Ji Hyo keep getting images of Gary with the other girls in 'Shower Later' music video and every time she tries to distract herself, it just does not work. "Maybe I'm not used to this side of Gary Oppa, ya, that is why.." she persuade herself by creating excuses to cover up her unsure feelings towards Gary. His shockingly wild image in his new album did gave everyone a surprise as he brings different character in Running Man. Innocent, funny, straight, is what you can describe him in the show but understanding him in the music industry would be a different case. That uncontrollable thoughts of Gary made Ji Hyo hates herself even more thinking that she is unfaithful towards Chang Joo as their separation only happened not long ago and she is thinking about another guy already. She goes to work looking like she overworked almost everyday with her swollen and tired pair of eyes. Moreover, she has additional drama project going on throughout that period of time.

That night before Episode 182 of Running Man's filming, she did not had enough sleep as well. Waking up after one hour of sleep, she drag herself to the location. The rest joke around before the filming start, mostly about Gary's new album. They force him to tell out what is the secret behind his lyrics but his mouth is shut tightly and no answer is given. Ji Hyo did not had any interest in their topics and it just reminds her about Gary's music video. She quietly lay her head down on the table and take a short nap before it starts. Gary secretly feels happy to see her not in mood, feeling like he just won by making her jealous although a part of him feels extremely sorry about it. " Filming is about to start, someone wake Ji Hyo up.." PD Jo walk by the cast who is noisily chatting around and spontaneously asked one of them to wake Ji Hyo up at the far end, sleeping soundly like a newborn baby. "Yah, not me. You know Ji Hyo gets angry when someone wakes her up right?" the cowardly guys all look at each other trying to avoid getting picked. "Let's all point to someone! 1,2,3.." Haha suggest an idea, like how they usually decide who to pick. Without hesitation, all, as if planned, point towards Gary's direction and laugh. "This is a conspiracy! " he realize they were exchanging signal to point at him earlier, but still, he had no choice but to wake her up. 

"Ji Hyo..." Gary softly poke her face and call her for the first time. She seems like she is already deep in sleep when there was a dead silence when Gary pause for awhile. "Mong Ji...." he try again by shaking her shoulders slightly then back off in case she wakes up and hits him. Still, the worn out Ji Hyo gave him no response. Looking at the staffs from faraway are almost done preparing, he began to panic. "Nae-sarang (My love) Song Ji Hyo!" he casually call out again,trying to joke around and this time pinching her cheeks real hard, as if he is trying to make a bruise on her face. "Ah! Ah!" she immediately woke up with an extremely loud scream, making him almost run away from her. Gary back off a little again when she rubs her cheeks with a frown. His thought she will stand up and hit him hardly like how she always did when they wake her up, he stood there in fear. "Thank you, Oppa...Let's go, they're almost done preparing already.." she sincerely thank him after the pain in her face went away instead of hitting him. "neo i-sang-hae(you're strange).." he says and scratches his head with his index finger but she quickly run towards the opening location and put on her mic.

The three guest, Im Si Wan, Do Hee and Yeo Jin Goo join them throughout the whole episode and the theme is Chinese Chess Race. The Running Man and guest are amazed by how the mission and the games in the whole episode was created by a Hong Kong fan. They are asked  to pair up and complete the mission each time , and the winning pair will be allowed to know their own identity in the chess board and switch places with another cast mates. Ji Hyo and Gary somehow paired up together during the second mission, where all teams have to compete the big scale water games and the team that reaches 30 metres will take the win. Gary and Ji Hyo first decided to do the blob jump as Ji Hyo flew really high in the previous episodes when they first played it, which definitely helps in increasing the metres. As expected, light Ji Hyo bounce up high when Gary jumped on another side which helps them to obtain 8 metres in doing only one of the games. The rest is moving in fast pace especially the guest, young Jin Goo has got plenty of energy to do all sorts of game. The Monday Couple then quickly proceed to their next mission after the blob jump. "Oppa, Jam-kkhanman(wait).." Ji Hyo pulls Gary while they are walking up to the diving board hand in hand. "I think I hit the water too hard when I fell just now..my head hurts.." she look at Gary in pain looking like she does not want to do the diving mission. Besides, she did not get enough rest during the night before which causes her to feel even groggy. "You look sick. Let's pretend that I'm afraid to jump off the board and get some rest okay?" he held her in his arms then told the camera man to not put this scene during the show. "Monday Couple, fighting! " Ji Hyo shout out loud and they held hands, pretending that they are about to jump from the diving board 5 metres high. "Wait ! I'm scared !" Gary pretend to back off from the board and pull Ji Hyo along. Both did not appear afterwards throughout the mission leaving the mission location to the rest room. The filming is still on going and the other teams continue playing hard to win the games. They all know that Ji Hyo is feeling unwell and dare not mention her name and where the pair went to hide the obvious.

"Oppa, you should go out and continue the filming...I just need a short nap" Ji Hyo sit down on the plastic chair and hush him out. "Pabo..what can I do if I go out now? Play all the games myself? Hurry, just sleep.." he kind of scolded her and force her eyes close with his hands. Her tiredness overcome her, she fell asleep within a minute while Gary just sat there watching over her. Her energy is charged after a power nap and then they suddenly appear when everyone is done with the mission. Moving to the final battle, Gary and Ji Hyo are in different team, separated to Green team and Red Team. Jong Kook and her were the last survival in their team and Gary, together with youthful Jin Goo and Do Hee won the final game by tearing off Ji Hyo's name tag. The guest and left and all the Running Man's cast and staffs decided to go for a late farewell as this episode will be one of their closest Producer, PD Myeok's last episode. 

"Hyung, Ka-ji-ma (Don't go)!" every guy in the farewell shout to PD Myeok as he is one of the producers that started Running Man together with them since the beginning. Most of them joined the farewell supper especially the seven Running Man as they are really close to him and even call him by nickname, 'grab-collar PD'. Although with a heavy heart, they understand that he had to leave to help out the other shows. The 'party' ended pretty late at night, or almost morning. Those who are working tomorrow speed home quickly whereas the rest chat in a group before walking in to their cars,then slowly, one by one gets in their car and left. "Ji Hyo-yah..need a ride home?" Jong Kook wind his window as he passes by the restaurant and saw Ji Hyo standing there alone. "I'm calling my manager. It's okay Oppa, thank you!" she cheerfully reply him and started dialing the number. "Arasso, take care!" he steps the pedal off. "Oh Unnie! I did not drive here today..can you fetch now?" her phone call is answered and a sleepy voice can be heard. "Aigo, Ji Hyo-yah...It's so late now and I'm so sleepy. Call one of them to fetch you back..." she reply with a drowsy voice then immediately cuts off the phone without any doubt. "Should have let her know earlier!" Ji Hyo sighed and remembered how ignorant her manager can be every time she sleeps. She can literally ignore every work and almost like Ji Hyo, sleeping comes first before anything. She raised up her hand and call out for cab since everyone left and there is no one there to send her home, regretting that she declined Jong Kook's offer earlier. Gary, coincidentally parked his car quite far away so it took him longer time to finally start driving. He then saw Ji Hyo calling out for cab when he too, pass by the restaurant. "Need a ride?" he skillfully park his car beside her and ask her. Feeling embarrass, but in need as well, she accepted the offer.

"Stopping here would do.." Ji Hyo asks Gary to stop her a short distance away from her house and he immediately brakes. "Thank you Oppa for the ride, drive home safely arraso?" she thanked him as she gets down his car. "No problem at all. I would do that to anyone.." he coldly reply her, trying to make her confuse again and she did. Her disappointed face always makes him feels  like he successfully revenge on her for what happened but sometimes, he would slap himself for being so childish.

**

"What about, we call Gary out for a cameo?" director Kim Cheol-Kyu suggested during Ji Hyo's new drama's dinner. The cast gets really close after a few filming and all of them are really easy going people. They all look at Ji Hyo once the idea is suggested, expecting her to invite Gary over. "Maybe I'll try.." she immediately pick up her phone on spot and dialed his number. She kept swallowing her saliva due to her nervousness.

"yeobo-seyo(Hello), Mong Ji..what made you call me at this time?"

"Oppa...I'm at my new drama's dinner date now and they suggest that..it would be good if you can come over and do a short cameo in our drama?.What do you think?."

"Ah..is it so.."

There were a short pause,when he suddenly stops and consider and both kept quiet through phone. Ji Hyo feel extreme awkwardness as everyone is starring at her.

"I will be there...call me anytime.." 

"Wah..Jinjja?! Thank you Oppa! " Ji Hyo is totally surprise by how fast he accepted her suggestion

They are all bewildered by how good their relationship is when both of them aren't that close at all actually. Ji Hyo herself was also shocked too. 

**

Within a week or two, Gary is officially invited by the production team of the drama to do a cameo. His funny yet straight forward acting amazed everyone on set and his mood is extremely good during the filming. Ji Hyo and him can even joke around and the awkwardness doesn't seems to happen between them throughout the filming. Gary was asked to come out as Jin Hee(Ji Hyo's character)'s temporary driver when she is drunk. Their love-hate chemistry in Running Man made them finish the filming rather fast and even, without any script. Gary spontaneously speaks out what he wants and same goes to Ji Hyo. As the scene is about the main lead getting drunk alone at night, they choose to film late at night when there is less people on the street, also the last slot on that day. The two professionals ended it within an hour. 

"Thank you again, Oppa. I bet the coming episode will be the best because of your funny acting..." Ji Hyo pat on his shoulders and express her gratitude towards him. "Should we go for a drink?" Gary unexpectedly ask her out for a drink. He tried hard not to treat her like he is easy but he just couldn't. Gary cannot hold his actions, and sometimes he just randomly treats her in a special way. This time round, he just felt like it is time to treat her normally again and his hatred should end already. "Uhm....of course I would.." feeling weird but accepted it as well, Ji Hyo and Gary both drove separately to Gary's favourite club. 

"Don't misunderstand...I'm just bored alone..." Gary tries to break the silence and gulp down his first cup. "I won't Oppa, I'm glad that you're willing to ask me out though.." she laughed and drink her cup of beer too. It has been really long since both of them talk and chat together so happily. The longer they chat, the more they open up to each other. It feels like they're getting back to their good old times when both of them are literally like real couples,best friends and also good workmate. Gary felt the burden in his heart ease off a little while.He did not regret to open up and ask her out in the first place at all. Ji Hyo did not feel so down as well after that talking to Gary. It feels like both of her biggest problem, Chang Joo and Gary is almost coming to an end. Gary did enjoy talking to her, as Ji Hyo has always been his favourite girl while Ji Hyo tries to find out her special feelings that she is unsure about towards him while they talk. When they are almost in their own world joking around, Ji Hyo suddenly points her eyes to another direction and her smile slowly fades, covered with another unique emotion. Gary noticed the changes in her face and look towards that direction. His eyebrows pinched together when he saw that unexpected scenario,when Chang Joo and two other girls walk together and publicly display their affection. It was a horrible thing to see but Ji Hyo is actually alright with it as they already broke up weeks ago and her feelings towards him faded as well. Gary is really sure that the guy is Chang Joo even he only saw him once during the event. That serious and mature man he met previously is like a complete different person now, flirting with other girls."That jerk.." he mumbled softly as he sees it, but it was heard by Ji Hyo. He did not know that Ji Hyo actually broke up with him and his eyes is burning with anger and clenched his fist. "Oppa..actually Chang Joo Oppa and I already br-" Ji Hyo was about the call Gary and let him know about it but he suddenly stood up. Gary move fast, towards the direction of Chang Joo. "Oppa wae? Gary Oppa! " Ji Hyo follow behind him and try to stop him. She was afraid of his sudden change in emotion and he seems like he is about to punch someone. She was right, Gary really did hit someone hard and it was none other than Chang Joo. He pull his tie and his first punch landed on his chin. Chang Joo fell real hard on the floor. "Gary Oppa! Stop it!" Ji Hyo pulls him begging him to stop but he flung her hands away. The rest screams and back off.There weren't many people around as they are in the VIP area of the club. "You Punk!" Chang Joo, who is elder than Gary by a year or two stood up and shouted at him for that unexpected punch although he seldom uses such harsh word in public. Chang Joo roll up his sleeves, looking like he wants to revenge.

**

Author's Note : Hip Hip Hooray! Hahaha! That is...another chapter of my story. And I definitely recommend watching the Running Man episodes stated to improve quality of reading. Because some parts did really happened. For example, the part where Gary and Ji Hyo went missing during the water game was really suspicious.