Chapter 64: I'll Take Everything You Throw at Me

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“How safe would we be here?” Stealth looked at their surroundings.

“To be honest, not very safe,” Steel answers. “This is the border of Yoggu and Kkum– if a war breaks out here, we might get caught up in it.”

“Then, why here?” Daehyun asks in disbelief.

“We are far enough that King Ganghan wouldn’t dare reach us but, close enough that the Werewolf rebels wouldn’t be stalking around here,” Steel concludes.

The outside. I wouldn’t have imagined that war would be the reason that would allow me to be here. 

“Queen Haewon, you must be tired.”

“I’m not.” I shook my head upon hearing Hero. “Please look after Junhong.”

“I want answers,” the boy quickly interjects when he hears his name mentioned. 

“After we set up camp, I’ll give you all of it,” I answer him. “Now, let’s go help the Knights.” 

***

“How are the frontlines at Him and Sowon?” Seonjang questions the Werewolf standing before the desk. 

“The weapons the humans have in their possession is making our expansion difficult,” the Werewolf reveals. “We’re losing some members.”

“Who is this King that is causing us trouble?”

“The same one that killed our first group– King Ganghan.”

Seonjang turns to Yongguk, whom have been standing beside him. “Do you know anything about this specific King?”

“He was largely absent from the affairs and has only emerged recently," Yongguk shares. 

“Have Himchan think of a counter plan.”

Yongguk leaves the room and immediately looks for the mentioned Werewolf. Finding him wouldn’t be too hard–, 

Appearing before the familiar large double doors, Yongguk pushes it open to reveal the castle’s library. “Seonjang wants you to think of another strategy for the frontlines.”

Looking up from a book, Himchan meets his eyes. “I’ll get something to him in about an hour.”

Yongguk accepts his answer with a silent nod.

“Is he still in that office?” Himchan asks and receives another nod from Yongguk. It bothered the younger Werewolf but, he knew he couldn’t voice it out loud.

“You two are in here?” the feminine voice they weren’t expecting rings out from the doorway. They merely look over at her while she returns a smile. “The castle is huge, isn’t it? I have been walking around all day and I still haven’t seen everything,” She continues commenting though she already knows Yongguk and Himchan aren't much into conversing. “I got a few more men after we broke into the prison tower– you arrested some of them, Yongguk?”

“At some point,” he responds.

“I did hear from Seonjang that you were an excellent Knight.” Serri walks in and observes the space. “He said we had an advantage with you on our side,” she continues mumbling as she appears directly before the Werewolf and peers up at him.

Returning her stare for a moment, Yongguk soon looks away and walks out of the room. 

Serri looks after him while she directs her words towards Himchan this time. “Is he always so quiet?”

“He’s always been like that,” Himchan responds before going back to his work. 

***

“Why don’t you send him to the frontlines?”

Yongguk walks in while there seems to be a heated discussion going on. The Werewolves had been too preoccupied to notice him coming and only when he entered did they turn to look at him.

“Hey, Yongguk.”

He looks up and offers them his attention.

“What are you doing here that is so important?”

“Yongguk is not being sent out to battle and that’s final,” Seonjang answers as he leans back into the chair at the desk.

“You said he's a strong fighter, isn’t he an advantage on the frontlines?” the Werewolf continues to question while his two counterparts remain silent beside him. 

“Yongguk also knows a lot more about our enemies. How would I decide our next moves without his knowledge?” Seonjang replies with another question. “Do you get it now? Sihoo?”

Sihoo ends up holding back the rest of his words. “Yes, sir.”

Sighing, Seonjang decides to see it from the Werewolf’s point of view. “I will achieve our goal but, you need to trust me.”

Sihoo nods his head. “I understand.”

“Now, go back and prepare the new members for the frontlines.”

Sihoo willingly accepts the responsibility without protest before leaving with his two companions, leaving only Seonjang and Yongguk. 

“I wonder if they’re getting discouraged since our victory is taking a bit of time.” Seonjang comments to himself.

“Do you need me to do anything?” Yongguk asks.

Seonjang shakes his head. “Right now, I need a field runner. We need to scope out the border between Kkum and Yoggu... we need to change tactics.” He has thought of this day for far too long to have it end in defeat.

***

We got settled quickly thanks to the Knights and while they were out observing the area, Junhong finally got what he wanted. My attention and the answers to his questions.

“Why did you leave me behind?” he asks with his arms crossed upon his chest. 

“I don’t know what King Ganghan will do if he saw you.” And I didn’t know what Junhong would do if he were to meet the King again.

Our campsite has been set up and both Junhong and I find ourselves inside the tent, cross-legged before one another. 

“Why are we here?”

“If we aren’t, I would be stuck in prison," I answer honestly. At this point, is there a reason to hold back? “King Ganghan accused me of treason.”

“You can’t keep me from him,” Junhong reminds me once more of his chosen ‘purpose’. 

“Junhong, it’s destructive, you know.” 

“What is?” he asks lowly.

“That feeling you’re having whenever his name is mentioned,” I explain. “It eats away at you until you’re nothing.” Father told me once.  

“Don’t you feel it too– when you think about the person that took away you father. I’ve heard about it from your Knight." 

During that time, there was hate… but, there was also a lot of pain that overshadowed the feeling. “I was forced to look at it differently. Instead of thinking about revenge, I wanted to protect.” After losing my father, Auntie Hwa was gone almost immediately after… then followed by Yongguk and Himchan. So, I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t lose anyone else– to make sure I wasn’t going to feel the same pain again. That’s what I promised Jongup.

“Protect?” he repeats before scoffing. “That’s because you have something to protect but me… I don’t even care much about my own life.” 

“Junhong, you don’t want to continue down this road you’re on. It won’t end well.” 

“I don’t care what happens as long as he goes down with me.”

I found so much resolve in the eyes that stared back at me. I needed to do something. While looking around, someone comes into view. 

“…Do you want to train?” I question the boy before me.

Junhong perks up at the random mention. “With the Knights?”

I nodded. “With Daehyun.”

Suddenly, Jongup appears behind me in his shifted form. Both Junhong and I get onto our feet and stare in the same direction Jongup is facing in. It couldn’t be King Ganghan’s forces since we're looking towards Kkum. So, it could only be the Werewolves.

“Junhong, go into the tent,” I order.

He hesitates in his steps but soon shuffles along. Jongup’s ears twitch and out from the trees, the rest of the Knights meet up with us. Beside them is a man, bounded by his hands as they force him down onto his knees.

“A Werewolf rebel, Queen,” Steel notifies us.

“You’re in the wrong territory,” the rebel says while gripping in pain.

“He was probably just observing the area,” Steel continues. “Under Seonjang’s order.”

Stepping forward, I needed to take this chance and gather as much information as I could. “What is Seonjang planning next?”

The rebel press his lips together in a manner to depict he isn’t planning on offering another word. 

“Would he move the war to this border?” I look up and direct my question at Steel. 

“It’s a possibility, Queen,” he responds.

“Now that we have finished one matter– next order,” I call for the Knights’ attention. “We try to stop Seonjang from advancing.” Any small thing could be helpful.

Without any hint of hesitation, they respond, “Yes, Queen.” 

***

“Daehyun, would you like to take a walk with me?” 

Setting down the small tool in his hand, the Knight agrees to meet up with me. Together, we drift deeper into the forest, away from the campsite. For awhile there is just silence between the both of us. I didn't know where to begin and Daehyun merely turns towards me, waiting to hear my thoughts. 

“What is it?” he decides to ask.

“I want you to train Junhong.”

“He got to you?” Daehyun blurts upon hearing my words. His tone evidently shows how unhappy he is about the topic.

“Has he asked you before?”

“I refused him, thinking you wouldn’t like it and I had therapy…,” his words drag out while trying not to reveal whatever he's hiding. 

Though I notice, I choose to not comment on it. “Junhong wants revenge.” 

“He has also mentioned something like that,” Daehyun mumbles before returning his focus on me. “Then, why would you allow him to train? It’s like encouraging that thinking of his.”

“I want you to change his mind.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter