Chapter 62: The Methods We Choose

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You’ll hurt your finger.”

I suddenly feel Daehyun grab my hand away and place it down at my side. I didn’t even realize I was gnawing on my thumb.

“That’s why your thumb has been so bloody.”

The words soon bring another image to our minds. “Last night was…,” Hero begins but doesn’t manage to finish.

“He killed them– right there.” Shaky breaths leave my lips. I can’t believe I had witnessed that sight before my very eyes. After we left, the servants were called to clean up the mess. Imagine the bloody floor they’re forced to scrub.

“Queen, I noticed something,” Hero breaks his silence. “He’s exhibiting an erratic behavior.”

“So, he’s nuts?” Daehyun questioned. “I could have told you that.”

“But, this proves he is a lot more dangerous than we think,” Hero goes on to explain. “His actions and words will be impulsive– soon, he won’t even think about the consequences.”

“There’s no way they’ll appoint him to lead humans into war, right?” Daehyun voiced everyone’s concerns. 

“Well, we’ll find out soon enough.” We are to leave for the summit in a few minutes. 

We have to head back to Yoggu.

***

“Is it okay that it is only Sterling and I?” Daehyun spoke as we made our way towards the meeting room for the summit. 

Before leaving, I decided that the rest of the Knights should stay behind. “You two will be enough.” Instead of separating from the Knights this time, since there are so few to begin with, they stayed beside their royals. 

“It looks like more Knights left,” Daehyun comments quietly.

“Seonjang’s cause is gaining traction,” I answered. That would only mean one thing: the fear and anxiousness will only worsen. And when people are afraid, they do drastic things. 

“We will begin the summit,” the leader in the front announces. “There is an important matter we need to address–,"

King Ganghan raises his hand. “May I speak?”

The leader motions a go ahead. “Please do, King Ganghan.”

The King gets to his feet so that all the royals present can see him. “We can no longer deny the problem at hand, this war is really taking place and in order to even stand a chance against the beasts, it is best that we all join and encourage a common goal.”

I sat there silent, listening to his words.

“That means, a country divided will not last. It is important that there is a single person who will lead us all. It will be the only way to demonstrate our potential as a superior race.”

“Will you get to your point, King Ganghan?” King Heebin questioned from the front of the room.

“If you all agree, I will do my best to be that person,” King Ganghan concludes. “As Commander for the war.”

For a few seconds, the room remains silent. Unlike the royals of Kkum and Sowon, no one else had any idea that this would be happening.

“I will be the first to provide my support.” King Mansoo is quick to rise to his feet. “There will be no other person better suited for the position.”

“What exactly qualifies you to take on such responsibility as taking command during this war?” King Heebin goes on ask. 

I glanced over at Woobin, I wonder what he’s thinking as his father continues to be the only one willing to speak out.

“King Ganghan is better equipped than all of us. He is the only one that will supply everything in the war against the beasts, isn’t it only fair that he leads it?” King Mansoo comes to his defense.

I will not allow this discussion to turn in King Ganghan and King Mansoo’s favor. “I do not support it,” my voice rang out through the room.

“About time,” Daehyun mumbled lowly so that only I can hear. “If you let that bastard win, I am going to mess this place up.”

“King Ganghan is not even close to being fit for the job. If we allow one person to gain such power, we are setting this up for disaster,” I further explained.

“Since the beginning, you have had it out for him,” King Mansoo argues. “Anything you say is partial.”

“He told me himself that he carried out the execution of Queen Hwa because he labeled her as a Werewolf sympathizer. Imagine what he would do when he is in a position that will not limit his actions... imagine the message we are sending to the people.” There will be chaos. 

“Aren’t you only saying that because you are a Werewolf sympathizer?” King Mansoo retorts. “You are only looking out for your own interest."

“King Ganghan has motive.” Such motivation coming from a man like this does not stem from righteous reasons. “For someone who barely participates in our affairs, you all don’t find it strange that he suddenly wants the position?”

“I will not support it.”

The sudden voice caused me to turn around in the direction it had come from.

King Minjong.

“The region of Kkum does not support it.” The rest of the leaders stood to their feet.

“Except for King Mansoo, that is,” King Minjong made sure to add.

King Mansoo stares at us, stunned. “You all–,"

A sudden loud crash sends screams and gasps of surprise resonating around the room. Daehyun and Jongup are immediately alerted and stuck even closer to me. I looked up at the ceiling and found some of the light fixtures that were once attached there are now dangling from their wires and flickering on and off. We stared straight ahead as leaders who were sitting at the front backed away from their table.

Figures rose from the ground and the people froze from shock.

“Werewolves!”

“It’s Seonjang!”

The shifted Werewolves remained in their spots but I was focused on something particular. The Werewolf in the center. I knew that fur. How could I forget that dark brown fur?

“Yongguk,” I breathed upon recognition and I knew he heard because I saw the slight twitch in his ears. Suddenly, Yongguk lets out a huge growl before dashing towards the seating area.

I felt Daehyun’s hand on my arm but I was quick to stop him. “No, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Haewon, get out the way!” I heard Woobin and Youngjae shout for me.

Regardless, I wasn’t going to move from this spot. 

Daehyun and Jongup shift and I speak out once more. “Do not do anything.”

Yongguk quickly closed the distance and immediately stopped in front of me. His muzzle was centimeters away from touching my nose as he intimidatingly pulled back his mouth to reveal his sharp teeth. As he remained in front of me, the other Werewolves that were with him wrecked havoc around the room. And we stood there, my eyes stuck on his own. Low growls slipped from him but it did nothing to deter me. My two Knights kept still, waiting for the moment Yongguk would attack. They watched him closely from beside me, their positions crouching low as a warning.

“Yongguk, it’s been a while,” I managed to say.

Before I could say another word more, I felt something wrap around my torso and I was tugged away. I instinctively reached out for Yongguk but I couldn’t even touch him. The chair I had been in gets crushed to pieces as another Werewolf appears. 

His identity wasn’t a mystery either.

“Himchan, you’re also here.” I stared at the two with Daehyun’s arms still around me. The same arms that removed me from danger.

“Everyone, heads down!” King Ganghan screams out into the room.

Daehyun’s large body falls on top of mine and he pushes me to the ground. His arms serve to encircle us as a protective barrier while consecutive loud pops ring out. I shut my eyes, waiting for the sounds to come to a stop but it simply felt forever. When I thought it would never end, the sounds ceased all at once. Daehyun subtracts his arms before checking the abrupt silent surroundings. He slowly gets to his feet before reaching down to help me up. When I looked around, there was no longer anyone there.

“The Werewolves are gone.”  

But, how–,

I turned around and the people all in similar uniforms stood lining the back. Large guns hanging from their necks and held in their hands.

“Who are these men?” 

“They are mine,” King Ganghan comes out to respond. “I had them wait– you can never be too sure.” 

“Thank God, they were here,” sudden agreements sound out from all directions.

This isn’t good.

“King Ganghan managed to send the Werewolves running.”

“What would have happened if they didn’t show up?”

I kept my attention on the King and heard his next words. “This is what I can do if I can gain authority in this war.”

“Let King Ganghan do it.”

“He is the most prepared.”

No. 

“He knows what he’s doing.”

Voices continued to support him. 

“No, you all can’t–,"

“Queen Haewon, if you don’t want him to do it, do you think you are a better fit?” King Mansoo calls out.

“This man cannot gain more power–,"

“What does the majority say?” The leader manages to pull himself to his feet to gather focus. “For support of King Ganghan?”

We looked around the damaged room as more and more raised their hands in favor of the King. Soon, there was no reason to count– the votes in support vastly outnumbered us.

“The majority has spoken,” the leader concludes.

Daehyun scoffed. “Well, this place is already messed up, so…,”

***

“Idiots,” Jongup said as we rushed down the hallway.

“I have never agreed with you more,” Daehyun commented.

We ran to the car and I slipped in quickly. “We need to return.”

“Do we need to get back quicker than the biggest idiot of them all?” Daehyun questioned.

“Yes.” 

During the car ride, my head nearly exploded with all the thoughts jam-packed in my mind. King Ganghan just got what he wanted, the people so willingly gave it to him just because of a small demonstration of strength. 

Yongguk and Himchan attacked, along with others–, 

With Daehyun driving as fast as he can, we made it back before King Ganghan. As we made our way up to the entrance, the men belonging to King Ganghan’s specialized forces were guarding carefully. I eyed each one as I made my way inside and towards the room I have been staying in. Snatc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter