Chapter 3: The Reality that is Ignored

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As you are growing up, it is obvious that you are taught about everything in this world. It included history, politics, manners, other basic knowledge like what you would learn in school, and for me especially, ways to socialize with others. They’re tools that you would for sure utilize in the future but it’s different when you need to apply it. Books would offer scenarios and you learn how to deal with it but, they’re not real situations.

That’s the difference.

So, I’m sure that when everyone woke up this morning, they didn’t know what their day would entail. Like me, who had risen from the hotel’s bed at an ungodly hour.

There’s also another dread I was dealing with.

The dread of another day at the whole weekend event. I didn’t understand the concept of it all. Why did it have to be the whole weekend? One night was already terribly exhausting for me.

“Last night wasn’t so bad, was it?”

I looked up to see my father across from me at the breakfast table starting on his plate of food. “Yes it was,” I didn’t even bother to deny, my father deserved the truth.

“I saw the friends you made.”

“I can hardly call them friends.” Sure, I got along with Prince Youngjae and his group of friends but it didn’t mean I had developed a friendship or closeness with them.

…Well, that’s different.

I actually remembered his name.

“Then, what would you call them?” He chuckled.

I paused and thought for a moment. “Acquaintances…that I can tolerate?” They didn’t seem like the rest of the people I have met since I didn’t mind being around in their presence but I wasn’t so positive that we would be good friends. It’ll take more than that to be on the same level as Yongguk…but then again, no one would be able to reach him.

My father nodded his head. “Well, you’ve done a lot better than I thought you would,” he looked over at me proudly. I can’t believe my father still had to worry about his 18-year-old daughter having some friends. “Are you prepared for tonight?”

“For it to be over? Yes.” After tonight, we can go back to the castle and hopefully, Yongguk would be back from whatever other errands my father had sent him out on. Just the thought brought a smile on my face. “I’m keeping this part of my promise, so you have to keep your side.” There is only one reason why I would do something that I hated, i.e. socialize.

“Since Steel had a chance to fully heal now – “ my father glanced over his shoulder to see the Knights keeping watch, “Red will be returned to you. But, you have to do just as well tonight.”

“No problem.” My level of confidence was rising. If I could do it last night, today won’t be any harder. It was the same people and the same pressure to somehow make small talk.

***

I don’t even know how this is possible.

I actually feel exhausted without actually having doing anything except sighing every few seconds. We’ve arrived at the same banquet hall 20 minutes ago and I have yet to walk up to anyone. I thought it would be easier. What a mistake that was.

“Oh, you’re not living up to your name, right?”

I looked over hearing a familiar voice. “Oh, you mean antisocial Princess?”

Prince Youngjae chuckled as he walked over to where I was standing. “Well, I feel terrible telling you that now.”

I smiled at his comment. “Don’t be. I’m actually not really surprised about the nickname.” I looked out into the room. “And to be honest, I’m trying my best here to be outgoing.” Once again, everyone was in their groups and I didn’t feel like I could break into their little circles.

“Have you talked to anyone yet?”

I brushed aside stray strands of hair from my forehead. “Not yet,” I cleared my throat as he laughed at my pathetic reply. “But! I will soon.” I turned to look at him with clear resolve in my voice.

“Should I help?”

“You’re looking down on me too much, Prince Youngjae.” I shot him a playful glare. “I can handle just fine. Your region isn’t the only region known to be friendly.”

“That’s right but be careful, you might scare them,” he chuckled. “At the moment, your region is known to be holding the title of strongest Knight.”

That mention dampened my mood slightly but I quickly hid it. “That’s right we are.” Any region would take pride in that fact, but I couldn’t seem to be happy about it. Perhaps because I’m the one that faces the risk of losing something.

Prince Youngjae snaps his finger as he remembers something, “isn’t it your Knight that holds that title?”

“He was the winner from last year’s tournament," I confirmed hesitantly. 

The tournament is another thing that can be added to my list of hate. It’s an event that is held every year and people attend to watch Werewolves fight each other. To me, it is a brutal form of entertainment but one person’s opinion doesn’t really matter when it confronts tens of thousands of others who like it.

I quickly diverted the attention away from me, “how do you remember so well?”

I was relieved to find that Prince Youngjae didn’t catch on to my sudden change of mood. “Who wouldn’t know?” He retorted. “Well that and since my Knight is ranked third, I should know who my competition is, right?” He grinned.

So, Youngjae is like the others.

“Your Knight must be strong then.” It’s no easy task to make it to the Top three. As much as holding the title of strongest is an achievement, ranked third isn’t overlooked either. 

“Of course,” Prince Youngjae agreed. “He trains a lot when the time comes so he can prepare for the dangers that comes with the competition.” It’s all fun for the audience but for the Werewolves, they’re injured quite often and if anything goes wrong, they could lose more than just their pride. But, it’s the first time someone has ever talked about the ‘dangers’. Most would just speak about the wins and loses. “In the last competition, he got injured badly so we’re trying to prevent that from happening again.”

“That’s inevitable and there’s nothing you can do to stop it,” I answered softly. If I had a choice, Yongguk wouldn’t be participating in such useless entertainment but like often times, I don’t have a choice.

Prince Youngjae nodded in agreement, “that’s why you prepare as best as you can.”

I didn’t want to make excuses for him but it seemed like he actually cared about his Knight. But, what are the chances?

In this world, not many see Werewolves as friends and it was normal to discriminate against them.

“Prince Youngjae, does it pain you to see your Knight injured?” My voice came out soft. I know I didn’t want to get any closer to the people here but just this once, I really hoped he was different from my view of the royals in this world. I don’t know why but, maybe because I didn’t want to feel disappointed.

“I already know how you’ll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter