Chapter 42: The Countless Secrets

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I said you couldn’t do that.” Yongguk kept his voice calm while reaching for the collar of Jongup’s suit. In one movement, he pulled the Knight off my bed.

“Good morning.” I sat up and a yawn left my lips following my morning greeting.

“I’m sorry,” Yongguk offered words of apology. “I would have knocked but he had barged in without warning.”

“Let him go for a moment, Yongguk.” At my words, the grip Yongguk had on Jongup’s collar was gone and the Werewolf jumped on top of my bed once more. “Jongup,” I called for his attention before placing both of my hands on his shoulders. “You are a Knight now and with the title there are responsibilities.” I sighed at the word. I wasn’t very fond of responsibilities either. “So, please listen to Yongguk– I know you can understand me.”

“Princess, please also tell him about the rules,” Yongguk mentions from where he stood at the end of my bed. “He seems to only listen to you.”

I looked up in thought, the drowsiness not helping my thinking. “First, before you enter my room– knock twice,” I specified. “Accidents can happen if you go in at the wrong time. At night, you must stay in your room–," I heard from Steel that Jongup had snuck out of the Knight’s quarters and slept outside my bedroom door for the past nights we have returned from the banquet. “Lastly, be polite and kind to others.”

“There are more rules than that,” Yongguk added unhappily.

“Yes, I know but I just woke up.” The words came out in a slight whine. Even in the morning, Yongguk is still such a stickler.

“What about how he should act when eating, what about training– the tournament is only a month away, what about–," 

I stopped Yongguk’s rambling as another thought crossed my mind. “I know.” My eyes moved to Jongup. “I have somewhere to take you.”

***

I watched his expression carefully the moment I opened the door. And like how I predicted, his face lit up as if he just had just witnessed the most beautiful sight. Though I’m sure with his sense of smell, our walk here should have been enough to give away the sight of our destination.

He quickly ran in and I followed from behind.

“Welcome to my greenhouse, Jongup.” But, I knew he needed no introductions. My words went unnoticed as he ran up and down, looking at the countless shelves holding the beautiful roses in different size pots. 

He takes one of the pots down but accidently allows it to slip through his fingers due to his enthusiasm and I walk over to help him clean up the slight mess. With careful movements, I begin potting the roses once more.

“Jongup… not bad… not bad,” he mumbled and I stopped to give him my attention.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and he involuntarily flinched. “Jongup, I know you didn’t mean it.” We have gotten far in our trust but it seemed that often times, he couldn’t completely relax. “Look, it’s easy to fix and I’m not mad at you,” I said gently while showing him that the roses are fine.

He looked at me while his shoulders visibly relaxed. 

“I will start becoming busy so, would you like to take care of these roses in my place?” I asked and he nodded in response without any hesitation. “I trust you the most.” Of course, since his love for them seemed to rival my own. “Come over here, Jongup.” I led him to the water tap and grabbed the watering can. “This is how you turn on the tap and once you do, fill this with water.” I got him to hold the can while it began filling close to the brim. “Turn it off, Jongup.”

He reached out and did just like I asked. 

“Now with this,” I motioned to the watering can, “pour the water so the pretty roses can drink.” And like it was in his nature, Jongup did so- though a bit too rough. “Jongup, you’re a little strong so you have to be more gentle than that.” I chuckled and taking my words seriously, he softly continued watering.

I made my way over to the bench and sat down to watch him continue along the rows.

“Water them once everyday but you can spend all of your time in here if you want,” I said from the bench. “Though, remember your responsibilities.” I couldn’t leave that part out since Yongguk would probably get upset. 

He didn’t have to look at me for me to know he was listening. The small nod and smile he gave me in response while he focused on the roses were enough.

***

I stood outside the guest room, not ready to go in just yet. I didn’t know how to handle certain people and Prince Kangjun was explicitly one of them. I can’t seem to get past that well crafted image he continuously displays in front of me. 

Inhaling a quick breath to relax myself, I opened the door and walked in.

“Good morning, Prince Kangjun,” I greeted him while he stood up to bow.

“Good morning, Princess Haewon.”

“Please take a seat,” I said and caught sight of Himchan standing behind the two-seat divan that the Prince just settled down in. “Why did you travel so far to meet with me?”

“I wanted to talk more about what happened at the recent banquet,” he begins, not shying away from the topic. “What exactly is your kingdom’s goal, Princess Haewon?”

“Compromise,” I answered curtly. It wasn’t a particular hard concept to follow.

He smiled at the answer before continuing. “What good would that do?” 

“Lives will be saved.” Isn’t that obvious enough?

“Whose lives are you speaking about?” he asked once more, the static smile still there upon his face.

“Both Werewolves and humans.” 

This time, he chuckled. “Princess Haewon, I’m not sure if you are really being serious or not.”

I smiled back, hoping to keep myself relaxed. Normally, Yongguk would be here to supervise these meetings in case I get riled but without the responsible one, I needed to keep myself in check.

“Prince Kangjun, I don’t joke about these things,” I answered, keeping my tone light. “But, did you only come here to ask me that?”

He breathed out. “I have been sent as the middle man,” he slowly begins. “We are going to be the new generation of Kings and Queens in this country– I believe it is best if we all got along and understood each other. What happened at the banquet is not something we agree with.”

I remained silent, allowing him to continue. 

“Prince Kangjun, when you say ‘we’, who do you exactly mean?” We both know there is no way he could possibly keep in contact with all the Princes and Princesses. At my question, he couldn’t exactly reply. He should have never generalized if he couldn’t provide an answer. “Why do you insist that punishing is the right method?” 

“If we don’t punish, they won’t fear– they won’t realize what they are doing is wrong,” he simply responded and he responded in such a care-free manner that it took me by surprise. How can someone be so casual when speaking about such a sensitive subject?

“That way of thinking is a mistake,” I didn't hesitate to point out. “Do you know what happens when you unrightfully keep pushing someone into the ground over and over again?”

“What happens, Princess?”

“They fight back.”     

I didn’t find my words to be humorous but he actually laughed. “Then, we crush them. Every time they try to get back up, we push them back down.”

How strange. Up until now, I thought it was Woobin that was the most ruthless but now I realized that he is way of out Prince Kangjun's league when it came to lacking sympathy. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter