Chapter 38: This Blind World

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, which parents do Haewon really belong to?”

King Hyunjin shot Hwa a look. “What in the world are you talking about?”

“You’re clearly not her father,” Hwa retorts. “There’s no way someone like you raised her.”

“If I’m not her father, then who is?”

“Someone that truly sees the world.” 

There was a moment of silence as King Hyunjin tried to make sense of his cousin’s words. “Sometimes I really don’t understand you.”

“You’re blind.” Hwa sits back casually into her seat. She stared across the working desk at the King. “Unlike Haewon, who seems to see everything – I have actually thought I would never meet someone like her.”

“Hwa, could you please stop being so cryptic?” The King asked in exasperation.

“Haewon…she sees the problems of this world while everyone else chooses to ignore it. There is no way you haven’t noticed.” Hwa stared at him. “Unless, you think it’s a problem…”

He could already see the judgment in her eyes. “I don’t want her to be treated as someone insignificant.” People won’t listen if his daughter is the only one with the unpopular opinion. “They will disregard her and –“

“And what?” Hwa chuckles. “And outcast her? Hyunjin, do you not see that she knows? You’re fearing something that she isn’t concerned about.”

“That’s because she doesn’t understand that yet.”

“I can honestly say she knows the consequences but does not care,” she responds softly. “If anyone asked me what kind of ruler I wanted, I would say the honest and genuine one.” It's vague but qualities that the world needs. “Someone who was honest in their beliefs and will try their best to better the lives of the people of this world because they genuinely cared for their people – both Werewolves and humans.” What has gotten into her? She was the one that didn’t want to rule yet here she was speaking so adamantly about something she believed in…she had long given up on this world and now that she has met someone like Haewon – someone she wished she had met sooner in her life, because maybe things may have ended differently for her. “Isn’t that someone you want also? Or better yet…isn’t that someone you wish to become?”

King Hyunjin sighs. “You are talking about an 18-year-old young girl.”

Her eyes suddenly clouds with disappointment. “An 18-year-old young woman who would benefit from the support of her father and her kingdom. A young woman who could change everything if people would listen to her.”

“Hwa, my daughter’s visions are unrealistic.”

“Only because you don’t believe in her,” Hwa points out. “I know it’s hard for a world like ours to change but someone needs to set it into motion before anything happens. This structure that you are blindly supporting is a danger to everyone.” Hwa’s tone suddenly shifts to seriousness. “If you want to protect your daughter – instead of trying to change her into someone who plays along with this illusion of peace we are living in, I suggest you be good father – no, a good leader and stop being so blind.”

***

“Auntie Hwa, what are you doing here?” I stared up at her sudden appearance while Jongup held my hand through the bars of the cell. The last place I expected her to be was the prison tower after all the times she had expressed her love for the greenhouse on the opposite side of the castle. 

“I thought I should make one visit before I leave in a few hours.” She smiled widely while bouncing over to where I stayed squatting and with Helios following close behind. I watched as she also bends down to match my position, though she kept her hands to herself and while Helios watched on carefully behind us.

“So, this is…Jongup.” Auntie Hwa laid her gentle eyes on him. 

This was the first time someone other than me have said Jongup’s name. “Yes, this is him.” I chuckled before noticing the look of confusion on her face.

“He’s –“

“ – a little different,” I interjected after realizing what she may be curious about. “Jongup doesn’t speak or act like others.” 

“He’s like an animal,” she says softly. And it was a description that I heard often. There was a moment of hesitation before her voice interrupted the quiet air. “He’s like a cute animal!” 

“Auntie Hwa,” I exclaimed in surprise while I watched her her hand into the cell without any fear.

“Queen Hwa.” Helios reacted quite rapidly from behind us but Auntie Hwa was quicker to stop him.

“It’s fine, Jihoon.” Auntie Hwa brushed off his hands and my mind took a second to realize what just happened.

“…Jihoon?” I turned to look at the two. My eyes moved from Helios to Auntie Hwa, who both returned a look. 

“I did it again.” Auntie Hwa suddenly sighs before smiling at me. “You caught my habit.” 

“Princess Haewon –“

My next words cut Helios off. “You too?” 

“Yes, I don’t call Helios by his alias either…though, I was attempting to keep it a secret.” She clicked her tongue in regret. “I failed miserably.”

“But, why?” I also did it. There was no reason for her to feel like she had to hide it –at least she shouldn’t feel like she had to around me. “If it made you comfortable –“

“It’s not for others,” Auntie Hwa goes on to explain. “…I have my reasons for it, Haewon.” She ended with a kind smile.

Sensing that she didn’t want to further explain, I stopped myself from asking her more questions. “Then, your secret is safe with me.”

“Thank you, Haewon.” She inhaled a breath before moving on. “So sorry for neglecting you, Jongup.” Auntie Hwa cheerfully looked at the Werewolf who had been staring at us for the past few minutes.

I chuckled before turning my attention back. My hand still in his while he kept a distance from Auntie Hwa.

She frowned. “Why is he afraid of me?” Her outstretched hand has yet to receive acceptance from the Werewolf. “He’s quite attached to you, Haewon.” She looked down upon our clasped hands.

“It’s the roses,” I reasoned. “Just like us, he seemed to have found his love for the flowers and I happened to smell like them and it was that love that I tried to exploit.”

“Try to give him something to love more than the thing he fears,” Auntie Hwa recited her own words from yesterday to explain why I said those words.

I nodded. “I thought the love you mentioned were the roses but it seems he has yet to love them more than those Lone Werewolves he’s afraid of.”

“If I could interrupt, Princess Haewon,” Helios politely interjected and I looked up at him with a nod. “Queen Hwa –“

“Just call me Hwa, Jihoon,” Auntie Hwa interrupts and it causes Helios to react shyly. “It feels so unnatural and there’s no reason to keep it up when we’ve already spilled it.” 

I smiled as I heard her words before Helios continued.

“…Hwa also smell like roses and yet, he remains distant from her,” he explains. “So, it can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter