Chapter 61: Tough Circumstances Calls for New Measures

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Queen, I understand how you must feel but we should not act thoughtlessly,” Steel advises.

“They are asking me to step foot into his castle and remain calm?” I gritted my teeth in anger. Everytime King Ganghan is mentioned, there is always this certain feeling of uncontrollable hate that wells up inside me. How am I supposed to even look at his face? “What about Junhong?” What am I to do with the boy? I can’t imagine the actions the King will take upon seeing him once more.

“He won’t do anything,” Steel replies confidently. “It won’t be in his best interest– if he lays a finger on Jun Hong, he will have to reveal everything and that won’t be to his benefit.”

One thing after another, everything just gets more and more complicated. I reached up and touched my thumb to my lip.

“Queen Haewon.”

I looked over to my teacher.

“If I can say something.”

“Please go ahead.” I spoke softly in an attempt to calm myself.

“I believe this is an opportunity that we can’t let go,” he begins to explain. “I am chosen as your advisor and I’ve been thinking about this. It may be overused but the saying, ‘keep your friends close but your enemies closer’ couldn’t be more accurate than in this moment.” 

“Queen, we are leaving the decision up to you,” Steel adds.

***

“Woobin, I have a favor to ask.”

“Aren’t you leaving soon?” he questioned in response. “I know how much you must hate it. You can stay here if you prefer."

“There are some things I need to take care of.”

“Walking into enemy territory, huh?” he asked with a knowing smile. “I didn’t know you had that in you. So, it must not be your idea.”

“It wasn’t,” I confirmed for him.

“What is it? That you wanted?” He draws us back to focus.

“Instead of me, can Junhong stay here?” 

“The boy?”

I nodded.

Woobin doesn’t respond right away but I know he has figured something out. “He’s the boy you rescued from King Ganghan’s castle. For you to break laws for him, he must be important.”

“I can’t reveal anything at this time.” I couldn’t risk information getting out, even if it may be Woobin.

He ends up nodding his head. “I’ll take care of him.”

“Thank you.” Now to break the news to the boy.

***

“I’m not staying here.”

I was expecting this response after all. “Yes, you are.”

He looked back at me, furious. “You can’t just make these decisions without me!”

A sigh promptly leaves my lips. I wasn’t going to keep explaining because I knew he wasn’t going to listen. “You’re staying here until further notice.” I turned away and headed towards the door to leave his temporary room.

“I found my drive.”

I stopped in my steps following his words. 

“I’m going to get Ganghan back for what he did to mother.”

I turned my head to see him. “All the more reason to leave you here.” 

“Haewon!” 

And I could see it– I could see how desperate he was. He had endured so much unnecessary pain and he believed making King Ganghan pay for it would free him from it.  “Junhong, King Ganghan will pay for his crimes but not in the manner in which you want him to.”

***

“He no longer has Knights. Makes things easier,” Daehyun commented.  

I found out from Woobin that one of the individuals who has been left abandoned happened to be King Ganghan. And it was one obstacle out of the way. 

The leaders of Kkum and Sowon have been gathered into a single place– King Ganghan’s castle. In our hands, we only have the regions of Him and Yoggu and it’s important we maintain our grips on the territories. So, in a way, all the leaders have been gathered to think of our next move but also because we no longer have a place, now that Seonjang has control over our homes.

But, that wasn’t the only problem.

“Haewon, you’ve arrived.” Youngjae finds me among the royals.

“If I had a choice, I wouldn’t want to be here.” 

“I understand why,” he answered softly. “Are you in any danger?”

“For now, I don’t believe so.” I looked up and finally met my estranged uncle’s eyes. He had been waiting at the end of the hallway for all of us. “But, I’m not letting my guard down,” I muttered lowly as we all came to a stop.

“Welcome,” King Ganghan greeted us.

“Thank you for inviting us,” someone among the group responded.

I couldn’t stand hearing his voice and tried my best to divert my attention outside the windows. 

“During this time, we should set aside our differences,” King Ganghan answered.

My eyes shortly landed on the countless tents taking up the King’s property and expanded towards the forest. “What about them?” I questioned aloud. “We get to live comfortably and while they’re getting by on such little and without any protection.”

“Queen Haewon,” King Ganghan calls out. “We are the leaders, we are the only ones who can help them. We should be the safest.”

What justification. I kept my stare on him before he motioned for us to continue our movements.

“Please come along, I’ll show you all to your rooms.”

***

Closing the door behind me, I watched my Knights check every corner of the room.

“Don’t overlook anything,” Steel ordered.

“There’s nothing here,” Daehyun broke the silence while Jongup continued sniffing around. “He’s been in here for sure– his scent is still all over this place but there’s nothing.”

I find that so hard to believe. 

“We are also a lot safer now that he doesn’t have Knights. We won’t have to be on guard like how we would be if we had them sneaking around,” Bronze pointed out.

That’s right, the man only has specialized human forces now.  Still among the elite but less threatening than Werewolves. We walked right into dangerous territory– how funny –we’re away from the warzone but still having to be careful among our kind.

“What is our next move?” Stealth questions.

I haven’t thought that far. I didn’t even know who to keep my focus on. “For now, we need to keep King Ganghan away from Junhong… regarding Seonjang, let’s wait until I have a meeting with the other leaders.”

The Knights nodded.

Before we can further discuss it, the Knights motion for me to stay silent. Daehyun points towards the door and that's enough for me to catch on– someone is heading in this direction. The following minutes are characterized by silence and then, a sudden knock on the room’s door.

“Yes?” I answered.

The door slowly opens and Youngjae hurries inside.

“Youngjae, is there something wrong?” 

He brings his finger up to his lips to quiet me. Steel listens carefully before speaking, “No one has followed you– your Knights are right outside, right?”

Youngjae nods. 

For a moment, my mind wandered. Why did some Knights choose to stick around and while others choose to leave?

“King Ganghan is planning something,” Youngjae alerted us. “I don’t have definite proof but I know for sure.”

“We are already aware,” I responded. “But, did you see something?”

“Him and King Mansoo were together– their behaviors seemed strange.”

“So, they’ve decided to join hands,” I commented before releasing a sigh. 

“Queen, for now pretend you’re not suspicious,” Steel advises from the side. “See where the conversation goes during dinner.”

***

All the guests along with King Ganghan filled up the large dining hall. I glanced around before taking my seat besid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter