Chapter 58: The Preparations Begin

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“We’re preparing for war, gentlemen.”

Yongguk and Himchan looked up from their seats upon hearing the announcement and Seonjang noticed their attention on him.

“The humans wanted it,” he further explained. “We’ll move out in a few days.”

“Will we stick to the plan?” another Werewolf questioned.

Seonjang nods. “We will start by taking over the region of Kkum and from there, the rest of the country.”

The declaration brings cheers and smiles to everyone’s faces. This was the moment they have all been waiting for. After so long, they can finally pay back the years of pain. Their movement has been growing by the day, as more and more Werewolves gained courage to take back what they thought was rightfully theirs.

Yongguk and Himchan set down the tools they have been working on and glance around the noisy underground hideout. 

“So, it’s really happening,” Himchan muttered.

***

“Has he been eating?” I managed to ask while busied with endless thoughts. Each time I wrote one thought down, another quickly appeared.

“Why don’t you check for yourself?” Daehyun questioned back instead. “Go visit Junhong.”

“I don’t have time,” I immediately respond and a hand reaches out and covers the paper I have been scribbling on with small notes. I stop my writing and look up at the Knight. “Don’t you have some training to go to?” Bronze had voiced that it was mandatory now that we don’t know what will happen in the near future.

It never hurts to prepare.

“I will once I make sure you’ll visit him,” he responds adamantly. “You’re the only one that will understand him.”

“When have you gotten so naggy?” I asked before sighing. “Fine, I’ll go see him later.”

Content with my answer, he pulled his hand back to his side. “If you need me, you know where to find me.” Suddenly, his attention is diverted elsewhere. “Why is your thumb so bloody?”

I held my hand out. “I’m not sure.” I didn’t even notice.

“Look after yourself, would you?” 

I nodded and soon, I was left alone.

Dropping the pen I had been grasping on for the past few hours, I leaned back into the chair and stared out into the room. The sudden weight of the situation falls heavily on my shoulders and I exhale a deep breath.

What would father think if he were here?

A possible war in this day and age.

Suddenly, I caught myself. It was always a bad idea to follow that train of thought. Anything that involved my father, Himchan, Yongguk–, 

I pushed myself onto my feet. This won’t do.

Maybe I’ll do what Daehyun wanted after all. Leaving the office, I start down the hallway. Heading in the direction of a specific bedroom. I wasn’t expecting a welcoming reaction but if it makes Daehyun stop complaining about it.

Lifting my hand, I softly knocked on the door. “Junhong?”

Suddenly, the door opens, revealing the young boy. “What?” Unable to find a quick response, he continued instead, “Just because we spoke yesterday, that doesn’t mean we’re friends.”

Understanding his words clearly, I nodded my head. “I know.” But, this was better than getting the door slammed in my face. “I want to show you somewhere.”

“Where?”

I begin walking away while he remained at the doorway into his bedroom. “You’ll like it.”

Without me realizing, my precious space was getting more and more visitors. It no longer belonged to just me and strangely, I felt okay with it. The usual sweet smell that filled the hallway willingly welcomed us forward. Junhong sniffs the air. His nose didn’t have to be sensitive for him to smell it. I glanced at him before opening the door to the greenhouse. I stepped in first before Junhong followed in from behind. His eyes widened in wonder. 

“It’s usually more lively than this.” I touched the droopy roses that are normally a brighter red than this deeper color. “It couldn’t be helped since we were away for so long.” Though, I noticed the dampened soil– Jongup must had been here and the thought lightened my mood.

I walked over to the bench and took my seat. The familiar action comforted me. Allowing Junhong to do whatever he wanted, I remained silent while looking out through the glass.

“Why did you bring me here? I never said I liked flowers.” His words disturbed the stillness.

“Auntie Hwa visited this place once with me.” My sudden statement renders Junhong mute. “She told me this was one of her favorite places– I thought you would like to know.” I glanced away from the window and looked at him.

“My mother?”

I nodded. “She was sitting here, right beside me.”

As if he wanted to experience exactly what his mother did, he ignored everything else and took a seat on the bench right next to me. 

“And her eyes were set right out there.” I pointed to the outside.

His head immediately faces in the direction and I match his action.

“…How does it feel?”

“What do you mean?” he questioned back.

“Seeing the same sight your mother also witnessed,” I clarified. “It comforts you slightly, doesn’t it?” Junhong doesn’t respond but I knew the feeling. “I sit in the same seat as my father did when he was alive and working– whenever I look up, I like to think I was looking at the same thing he did.” 

“What else did my mother say?” Junhong further asked.

“She mentioned one thing that has stuck with me all this time– Junhong, what do you think is most important to roses?”

Junhong merely shrugs.

“The sun. It's like there is this love between them.” And I didn’t understand it then. “Junhong, I think your mother confessed her love for her Knight at that moment.”

“My father?”

“Yes, Helios; the sun and Hwa; meaning flower,” I breathed out. 

“I don’t understand,” Junhong confessed. “What is the relationship between the three of them– my mother, my father, and Ganghan?”

I guess he hasn’t been able to put it together. “Auntie Hwa was married to Ganghan but the person your mother truly loved was her Knight– that’s all I can tell you.” That was the limit of my knowledge. “The thing is, in this world, love between a human and Werewolf isn’t looked upon kindly.”

“Why?”

“In this world, humans are thought to be superior and Werewolves are viewed as a race below us. Werewolves are meant to serve, love would mean equality and that isn’t how our society is established.”

“…Where do I fall? I don’t fit in anywhere.”

That’s right. “You’re the first hybrid I’ve met,"

“Am I the only one?”

I thought about it for a moment. “I hardly doubt it. But, this isn’t something people will be open about.” There has to be more hiding out there. “I think you’re very important, Junhong.”

He snorted. 

“I think you’re the future.” I turned to look at him.

“Stop saying such ridiculous things,” he retorted. “If love between a human and Werewolf isn’t accepted, what makes you think I’ll be accepted?”

“It won’t be easy.” Nothing is easy– I’ve come to understand. “But, I believe you’re the link between the two races.”

He stared at me in silence. “…Are you just saying this to make up for how you’ve treated me?”

“Of course, not.” I looked away before standing to my feet. I’ve spent enough time away from my duties. “I have to return to work but you’re welcome here whenever you wish to visit. But, you’ll have to share the space with Jongup.”

“Jongup?”

“My Knight,” I reminded him.

“Oh.” He nodded in understanding. “The one that crawls–,"

“He doesn’t crawl,” I quickly corrected him. “I’m going to leave first.” Just as I reached the door, Junhong spoke out once more.

“So, a person as cold as you even like a place like this.”

My hand gripping the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter