Chapter 46: Don't Assume Too Early

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk eyed the three Knights standing before him– with the exception of Jongup, whom was crouching. Right on time, like how he ordered, every one of them had arrived here in the training room to resume their preparations for the tournament.

It would only be two weeks until then.

As Yongguk glanced at each face, he found himself slightly lost. What was he supposed to call them? Again, the Princess has failed to give another Knight a proper alias.

“New Knight– at the Prince’s castle, have you already started your training?”

Himchan looked up. In regards to ‘new Knight’, it would be him, right? “Yes, I have.”

“Your strengths?” Yongguk proceeded to find out where to begin.

What was Himchan supposed to say? What did Red want to hear? He wasn’t exactly told what he was great at.

Daehyun noticed the silence and looked over. “The Princess said he was smart.”

Yongguk nodded his head. “Should we put it to the test then?” Jumping upon the high landing, he moved to turn on the training systems. “Since there’s nothing else, let’s start training.”

***

I stood firmly outside the training center and patiently waited. Realizing that I might have came a bit too early, I ended up taking a seat on the floor up against the wall, beside the door.

Not wanting to make a single sound or draw attention to my presence, I quietly kept to myself. I didn’t want to disturb them while they were working so hard. And since this would mark the first day Himchan would start his duties- serving our castle -I just wanted to make sure everything was going okay.

I wasn’t being overbearing.

I was only making sure.

When I thought Yongguk would possibly train them right into the night, I finally heard the systems from inside coming to a silent stop and the door clicking open, minutes after. 

I scrambled to my feet to greet the boys. “How was everything?”

“I need a snack.” Daehyun quickly moved past me and setting his sights down the hallway towards the dining area. 

“Roses,” Jongup announces while following after him.

Seeing me at the door, Himchan sends me a quick bow and is the last to leave. The tired lines on his face were enough to alert me of the extent of today’s activities. I wonder if Yongguk was being to rough with him before the new Knight could adjust to his new environment.

Yongguk closed the door behind him before offering me his attention. “Was there something you needed?”

“I was just checking but seeing everyone still moving comforts me.” I smiled at the thought.

He takes a moment before responding. “About the new Knight–,"

“Himchan,” I clarified for him. “How was he? Did he fit in okay?” Not that I’m worried he would get bullied but sympathy is nearly nonexistent when Yongguk focuses on training. 

“Compared to the others, he needs a lot of work,” Yongguk unfortunately updates me. “He told me he has been training back at his previous castle but I don’t see it.”

“Prince Kangjun didn’t exactly take advantage of Himchan’s capabilities.”

“What capabilities?” Yongguk asked in disbelief.

“Believe it or not, Himchan is intelligent. But, growing up in an environment that doesn’t encourage it would stump the progression.” I’m not sure if my theory is right but it’s a possible thought. “Based on some of the things I took notice of, it seems Prince Kangjun didn’t reward Himchan for his exceptional skills but punished him for it.”

“Then, what do we do?”

“I believe if we urge him a little more, he will reach our expectations.” Maybe grow beyond them.

***

“They’re announcing another summit.”

I looked up from my dinner and gave my father my attention. “What would it be about this time?” Just the thought of the summit brings me bad feelings after what happened last time.

“With the uprisings coming to a stop, the summit is for celebrating.”

I set my chopsticks down, suddenly losing my appetite. “They’re happy their laws are working?” 

My father nodded. “This time, they’re encouraging the attendance of heirs also.”

“Let’s go to banquets instead,” I proposed.

My father smiled at my words, not the least surprised by them. “We’ll leave on the weekend– it’s only for a day.”

“…It’ll be short?”

“It’ll be bearable,” he responds.


***

“Who will be coming today, father?” The weekend came too quickly for my taste but here we were, standing in the underground garage.

“Steel–,"

“I would like to also go.”

Daehyun's sudden interruption took us by surprise before sending my father chuckling. 

“You’re never this enthusiastic,” I commented while eyeing him suspiciously. “Are you doing this to skip training?”

My question causes him to send me a quick look. “I’m doing it for you,” he argues. 

“Manners,” Steel reminds him and Daehyun grows silent.

My father looks at me before nodding at Daehyun. “Then today, it’ll be Steel and you.”

He provides a curt bow, which resembled a nod more than anything before moving along with Steel.

“The rest will watch over the castle. We should be back late tonight.” 

At my father’s words, the rest bowed and watched us get into the running car. The day was only starting but it already felt like a tiring one.

This time, the summit was held in the region of Him. A closer drive means we would be home quicker- I’m presuming. Once the car was parked in the underground lot, we moved along with the other royals who were slowly moving towards the specified area. 

And, I’m sure it wasn’t just me. 

My father and I were in the spotlight.

Something we have both expected but it still takes some getting used to. And remembering my father’s words– keep my attention forward and don’t let it bother me –I did just that. Noticing Daehyun shifting, I looked beside me to find him. Not once giving me his attention, I assume he was just doing his job. Though, I was thankful for it. It was like he closed off the uncomfortable air that was trying to pick at me. Once inside the room, my father and I separated from our Knights and quickly found out seats among the rows. The large room that would normally be half empty was now full with families and their lineages. 

These people here are the current power and will be the future power in this world. 

“It’s certainly intimidating,” I commented quietly.

“You’ll get used to it,” my father softly comforted me with a small smile. 

Since the summit hadn’t begun, I took the time to glance around and again, taken aback by the sudden attention placed upon us. 

Is this how the whole meeting will be like?

Realizing it was a mistake to look around, I focused back and set my eyes forward. Not before long- though, it did feel like forever -the royals from the region of Him file out and take a seat at the long table placed in the front. Since it is their region, it is only appropriate that they carry out the summit. 

Slowly, the noises begin to die down. 

“Thank you all for coming out today,” the Queen that sat at the center of the table announces. “Today, I will be leading the summit.” A small smile appears on her lips as her eyes move around the room. “I’m glad to see families here today. It should be an interesting time together.”

“Feeling better?” my father leaned over and asked.

I nodded. “A bit.”

“Since the greetings are done, I believe there are some things we need to discuss as leaders of this country.” She looks down at the packet of papers prepared for the event. “I’m aware the numbers of uprisings in each region has been decreasing at a normal rate– less attacks, laws are being followed –I believe this is what you would call a success.” 

But, at what cost?

“With the ways things have been occurring, I believe there should be no amendments to the imposed laws. But if there is anyone else who disag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter