Chapter 56: How You Once Were

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I stood across the door to the bedroom Junhong had been locking himself within. Though I had reason to be here, my mind drew up a blank. I didn’t know how to approach his room. Distracting me from my distress were footsteps coming down the hall.

“Queen Haewon, we’re leaving soon,” Bronze notified me.

I turned back to face the door before a sigh left my lips. Pushing myself forward, I lifted my hand to knock on the door. “Junhong.”

Silence rang back in response.

My hand drops to my side. “Mister–,"

“I will take care of him,” Bronze replies, already aware of my request before I could voice it. 

I nodded my head.

“Please head to the car waiting in the front.”

Moving away, I walked in the opposite direction as Bronze went forward to take care of the matter with the young boy. Not before long, I walked through the opened front door and was met with the sight of the running cars and the rest of the Knights waiting. My eyes drifted towards Daehyun’s face and as expected, he looked away.

“Bronze and Junhong will be here shortly,” I announced softly before heading straight to the car. Slipping inside, I allowed myself to fall into my never-ending thoughts. The door on the other side of me opens and successfully forces me to focus back and I watch Jongup slide into the seat beside me. “How are you today, Jongup?”

He observed me and for several minutes, we both sat there in silence.

“I’m not sitting in the same car as her!”

The boisterous shout causes me to look out the window. Bronze did manage to get Junhong out of the room but the boy continued to rebel.

I calmly rolled down the window. “Allow him to go to the car behind us, mister.” 

Junhong didn’t fail to glare at me before yanking his arm from Bronze’s grasp and hurrying towards the separate car. Suddenly, Jongup takes my hand and I stare at him curiously– was he worried?

“Not bad…not bad…,”

“I know you’re not bad, Jongup.” Maybe the appearance of Seonjang has brought back his previous traumas. 

He shook his head and became more insistent. “Not bad…not bad–,"

Bronze and Steel opened the driver and passenger’s door and took their seats. “Queen, we’re setting off.”

“Okay.”

***

“Teacher.”

“Yes, Queen Haewon,” he responded with a small bow.

“These lessons–,"

“I understand it will be hard for you to continue with them with your new duties,” he answered. “I will be ready whenever you will be.” He met my eyes and sent me a small smile.

“That’s not entirely it.” 

At my words, his smile faltered. “Then, what is it?”

“I haven’t finished my lessons and it will show in my leadership– what I am trying to say is, would you be my advisor from this moment forth?”

Taken aback by my sudden request, my teacher didn’t know how to reply. “You have the Knights.”

“You are the most knowledgeable,” I immediately offered an answer.

Keeping his eyes on me, he thought carefully while I waited for him. “Queen Haewon, I will be honored to serve you.”

I nodded my head and released a breath. “Thank you.”

***

Even though we had returned back to the castle, we couldn’t stay long. Another summit was being called and this time, it was to take place in the region of Yoggu. And remembering how nothing was particularly resolved the last time I attended, I knew the problems would return.

Once again ignoring the observant gazes from all directions, I settled into an empty seat. 

“Queen Haewon.”

I was left alone for barely a minute. I glanced at the person standing in the row ahead of me. “Yes?” I didn’t remember his name but I knew of his face.

“There is something I would like to speak to you about.”

“Why don’t we wait for the summit to begin?” I’m sure the others are all waiting to bring the attention on me for a second time.

The older man paused before continuing, “It’s about your decision to compromise.”

“Are you here to ask me to rethink my vote?” I questioned knowingly.

“Yes.”

What’s the point in me arguing? “Let’s discuss my decision as a group.” I wouldn’t want to repeat myself anyways. Seeing how I was adamant about not speaking to him about the matter, he gave up and returned to his seat. Soon, the royals in charge enter the room and the summit carries on. 

“As you all are aware, the deadline Seonjang has given to us is quickly approaching– to be specific, we have only two more days until we have to give him an answer,” the person leading the summit announces.

“The majority voted for no compromise, let’s give him that answer,” someone blurts from the crowd. 

“What about the possibility of war?” another interjected. 

“There will be no such thing,” the previous King denies. “At this time, we should work on organizing our people. We cannot carry on with so much division within our country.”

“And we all know who is the problem.”

Immediately, I can feel the eyes on me. 

“Queen Haewon is becoming the face of Werewolf sympathizers,” a voice declared. “Word has gotten around due to her vote for compromise.”

“Queen Haewon.” The King at the front of the room gave me room to speak.

“It’s ridiculous to think I alone am enough to divide a country.” Is that what they are insinuating?

“Then, will you change your vote?” 

“No,” I answered curtly. 

Upon hearing my answer, the room erupts into murmurs while the leaders in the front try to call for order. 

“Why do you insist on being stubborn?”

Did they not understand that I could ask the same about their decisions? 

“What do you wish for by voting for compromise?”

Deciding it would do me no good to remain silent, I spoke out, “I have lives in mind… what about you all? Do you all want to take such risks when the people may not be safe?”

“Even after what they did to your father–,"

“It’s because I don’t want to lose anyone else I’m voting for compromise,” I interrupted forcefully but they can’t seem to understand.

And again, no one takes my words seriously. 

Yet, there was something else I couldn’t let go yet. “I won’t discuss my decision further. Not until something else is taken care of.” The room refuses to quiet down and the leaders in the front take action once more to lower the voices. “I want justice for Queen Hwa of the region of Him.”

“We don’t have time for that!” a King across the room shouts.

“Then," I moved to my feet, “please let me know when you do.”

“Queen Haewon, you cannot leave again.”

“I don’t have any intentions of discussing the Seonjang matter before the wrongful death of my aunt,” I retorted. “If you all are in such a rush to make a decision regarding the compromise… then we should hurry and speak about the actions of King Ganghan.” Waiting there for a few seconds and deciding they were not going to do what I want, I began leaving.

“Queen Haewon, you are needed here,” the leader in the front voiced aloud in an attempt to have me stay.

I stopped in my movements and turn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter