Chapter 54: And Suddenly, it Was Empty

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It felt strange. Me sitting across from the mirror. The person that looked back at me felt so unfamiliar. Is that even possible? Because I knew for sure I was staring at my own reflection. It just looked slightly weary. But, nothing that wouldn’t get better with some time, I concluded.

Jongup watched me curiously from the floor. 

I turned around in my chair away from the vanity. “Are you okay?”

He nodded his head.

I thought back to yesterday’s events. “It was Seonjang doing all those bad things to you, wasn’t it?”

He nodded once more.

“The man that said those words during your fight in the tournament.” He was the man that made Jongup like this. “…Are you’re still afraid of him?” In response, he remained silent. But, I took it as confirmation. I couldn’t forget the look in his eyes seeing Seonjang before him. I get up on my feet and walk closer. My hand reaches out and I comfortingly place it on his shoulder. “Jongup, let’s promise that we won’t allow ourselves to feel such pain again– let’s both work hard from now on.”

He tilted his head in wonder while I shifted my eyes away. I wanted to offer a smile, a way to show Jongup my resilience and trust in my own words but it felt so tiring that I gave up. Instead, we both made our way to the door and with a destination in my mind.

“Where are the Knights?” I questioned.

Understanding that is where I wanted him to lead me, he took the front. Not before long, I come before the door of the room the Knights are in. Softly knocking upon the barrier, I open it up to reveal the Knights all on their feet to greet me. Maybe there was a hint of surprise on their features.

“Princess.”

Acknowledging their greeting, I walked in and closed the door behind myself. “What are you all speaking about in here?”

“We’re just–," Hero begins before stopping himself. 

“You know you can’t keep things from me any longer,” I honestly stated while thinking of obvious reasons.

The Knights share hesitant looks before Steel decides to be the one that clarifies the situation. “Queen Hwa left us a message.”

As if they were anticipating a different reaction from me, they stared at me in response when they're met with a calm exterior. “What did Auntie Hwa leave behind for us?” I couldn’t break a promise that I just made to Jongup and myself.

Steel, taken aback, couldn’t respond right away. “She asked us to save Junhong. We don’t know who he is but we are trying our best to do so yesterday before Seonjang appeared.”

“How long has it been since the message was given to us?”

“Just a day, Princess,” Steel offers another response.

I remained silent for a moment before remembering there was still something I wanted to say before we get further in discussing the problem. “I need to ask you all something. Steel, Bronze, Hero, Chief, and Stealth…,” I slowly call out. “Law states that once a royal dies, his or her Knights are given the option of retirement but I want to ask that you delay it until we rescue Junhong, would that be possible?”

“Of course, Princess,” the Knights respond in unison without hesitation.

“Thank you.” My eyes moved from one face to another. “Then, shall we go?”

“You too?” Daehyun asked.

“Yes, we can’t have the plan come to another halt if you’re worried about me... and I can’t lose anyone else.”

“Princess.”

I stopped and kept my eyes on Steel. “Yes?”

“About Red–,"

“He’ll return.” That’s what I wanted to believe anyway and while the Knights didn’t share whatever they may be thinking regarding the matter.

***

When night came, the Knights began their preparations. They made sure to work as quietly and as quickly as possible. Though the night could hide them, their scent wasn’t something the same night would protect. From where I stood, I could hear the Knights mumbling amongst themselves but nothing I could make out. So instead, I looked down at Jongup. 

“Are they still worried about me?”

He gives me a curt nod.  

I placed my focus on them once more. I’m here standing before them, right? What is there to worry about?

“Princess, we’re all finished.” Himchan appears beside me. “You’ll be riding with Steel.”

“Won’t we wait for Yongguk?”

The Knights freeze before Hero decided to answer, “…We can’t wait any longer than this.”

I nodded my head, understanding the urgency of the situation. I watched the Knights shift one by one. I walked toward Steel who was already crouched over so that I could easily get onto his back. As usual, Steel led the team and through the forest, the Knights dashed quickly after. It wasn’t long before I saw where the forest ended and where the vast grassland appeared before us. 

King Ganghan’s castle lied just on the other side.

The Knights carefully came to a stop, still hidden behind the trees. Their heads moved side to side to check the surroundings. I inhaled a breath just as the Knights took off once more. My hands gripped Steel’s uniform tightly and as the place of our aim drew closer and closer, Daehyun slowly took the lead. Remembering we weren’t taking the front entrance, I felt weightless as Steel jumped and soared through the air. My hands loosened just as we planned and while Steel worked quickly to hold me in his arms when we came crashing through the window on one of the top floors. Steel efficiently shielded me from the shards and returned me to his back. I held down, the familiar halls that we rushed through brought back uncomfortable feelings but I worked to push them back down. 

On cue, King Ganghan’s Knights quickly found us and began their chase. 

Jongup, Stealth, Bronze, and Chief stayed behind to hold them back while we continued onto our destination. Unfazed by the chaos, Daehyun kept up with his assignment. We turned down an emptier hallway as if decorated to demonstrate how isolated it was from the rest of the castle– there were less paintings, less details –Steel slowed down and my attention is brought back. I slid off of his back and walked up to the large wooden door.

My eyes trailed down to the chain that kept the door locked.

“Steel,” I called out. “Please remove this lock.”

With a low growl, Steel reaches forward and easily rips the chain apart. Once the obstacle was removed, I carefully pushed the barrier open. The tiny room resembled somewhat of a jail cell, the Knights’ bedrooms were slightly better than this– there was a bed pushed against the door and a single chair that was set a few feet away from the end of the bed. 

And sitting in that chair–, 

Daehyun shifts back and walks up beside me. “That’s him.”

The tall boy could have passed for an older age but the face that stared right back at me told a different story.

“Junhong?” The question left my lips blankly.

“…Who are you?” He titled his head. “You aren’t supposed to come in here. No one is allowed in here.”

“You’re coming with us.”

“I’m not allowed to leave,” he answered. “If he finds out, he’ll punish–,"

“Punish who?” 

“Please quickly leave and close up that door before he gets here,” Junhong continues.

“Whom are you referring to?” The Knights remained silent while I stepped further into the small room. There was something else I was wondering about. “…Who is Queen Hwa to you?” What was their relationship?

The name incites widened eyes from the young boy. “How do you know her?”

“She was my father’s cousin… whom I used to call aunt,” I responded while my features remained still. I knew I should have greeted him with a smile to comfort him but again, it was too strenuous to do so. “And how do you know Auntie Hwa?”

“Mother.”

Mother? I stilled upon the news and while the Knights subtly reacted from behind me. This was why Auntie Hwa wanted us to rescue him... would his own father hurt him though? But, thinking about how King Ganghan mercilessly executed her, I wouldn’t question it.

“I didn’t know she had a son,” Steel comments from behind.

I didn’t either.

“Junhong, do you know what happened to her?” Am I the one to deliver the horrid news?

Daehyun glances down the hallway before giving us a soft grunt.

Himchan who had shif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter