Chapter 34: One Step at a Time

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Princess, should we go over your achievements so far?” My teacher asked out of the blue and his question brought an unpleasant feeling as I could only imagine subpar results. I was always never meeting expectations and it was simply embarrassing to be reminded of it.

“May we skip it for today?” I already knew the answer but I had to try.

“Princess, if you don’t know your progress, how would you improve?” He questions back.

“If you must tell me, teacher.” I sat back into my seat and awaited the terrible update.

He sends me a soft smile and pushes up his glasses before beginning. Taking a quick look at the book in his hands, he begins, “Princess, you are doing exceptionally well in history, law, writing, mathematics –” 

Well, that is certainly more positive than I expected.

“But, in regards to decision-making, law enforcement, and public relations, it is faltering,” he continued. “Also, many Princesses and Princes should have around three to four Knights by now and you have only gained your second Knight just recently.”

I spoke too soon.

“Princess, if I may speak on it some more,” my teacher politely asked for permission.

“Please do.” I send him a smile to ease his worries.

“Princess, you are too lenient and very isolated from others,” he begins. “It is important to rule kindly, but also important to be strict when needed to be. Without that, there will be no order. And in regards to establishing relationships – it’s impossible to like everyone but it is necessary that you try your best to create some type of friendship with the future Kings and Queens.” 

I have heard this advising before but I can't do anything to improve. “I understand how important it is but I can’t bring myself to do it.” 

“Princess, maybe it is easier to think of it in a different way,” my teacher proposes an idea. “Think of it as a way to improve the lives of people living in your kingdom.” Well, that certainly deserves my attention. “You speak of change, Princess but change will not take place if you don’t have support.” 

Why was it only now did I understand this? At once, I was hit hard with realization. 

My teacher smiled at my reaction. “I’m glad you understand now.” He looks from me to find his briefcase and I take a look at the time – lesson is ending.

Before he had a chance to leave, I spoke out, “teacher, I have a quick question if you don’t mind giving me some of your time.”

“Of course, Princess.” He stopped his movements and gave me his attention.

“What was the largest rebellion done by Werewolves recorded in history?” 

He takes a moment to think. “I believe a group of around 500 Werewolves after the ‘Men and Beast Treaty’ was signed.” 

But, that was so long ago. “Would something like that repeat itself?” 

“It’s possible, Princess,” he answers. “But, it seems very unlikely. At the time, many Werewolves shared the same feelings. Now, I’m not sure if it is as easy to gather such a large number with the way the system is set up. There are many loyal Werewolves who serve royalty, some who don’t wish to cause problems, and some who are content with their lives.”

I nodded my head after hearing his words. “Have you heard about the new mandatory laws?”

“Yes.” The subject causes him to sigh softly. “The curfew and banning of Werewolves meeting in large groups,” he clarifies. 

There were no words spoken between the both of us but I knew we felt the same about it – we possibly shared the same fears. “When will it take place?”

“At 2 o’clock, Princess.” 

***

“How are you today, Jongup?” With Daehyun and Yongguk both busy, I took the time to come visit the Werewolf. 

It has become normal receiving silence in response to my questions because as long as I saw Jongup’s eyes on me, I knew he was listening to me. 

“I wonder how long they intend to keep you here,” I mumbled softly. My father has yet to speak about Jongup’s punishment and has only continued to keep him in here. 

I was sitting flat on the floor, leaning back against the cemented wall beside Jongup’s cell when I looked down at the watch strapped on my wrist. It’s about time that the laws will be announced. I looked up upon feeling something touch my arm. Jongup had reached out with the rose in his hands as if offering it to me. The sight brought a small smile to my lips.

“Is this your way of comforting me?” Instead of taking the rose from him, I held his hand around the rose. “Thank you, Jongup.” I push aside the depressing feeling and tried to look at him more brightly. “If only they can see you, they’ll agree with me that the last place you should be is here.”

But, how could I get him out?

Suddenly, an idea comes to mind and my smile grows. “But maybe, I can fix that.”

***

“Father, I have a proposal.” I marched into his office and he looked up in surprise.

“Haewon, knocking would have been nice,” he answered after recovering from his shock.

I pointed back at the door. “Should I do it again, father?” I smiled at him.

He chuckled seeing my behavior. “No, that isn’t necessary.” He waited for me to take a seat across from him at his desk. “So, what is this propos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter