Chapter 18: Fur So Black

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sight I see first thing in the morning isn’t exactly ideal but what choice did I have. Standing before me is another person who never changes every time I meet her.

“Princess Eunah,” I acknowledge her as our Knights prepare the cars for our departure. 

Eunah: 18 years old

“Princess Haewon.” Her tone holds a more snarky pitch to it but my desire to go home is stronger than my care for how she's speaking to me. “Where’s your Knight?”

She always did this.

Why did Eunah always have to bring up Yongguk? She only did so to have a chance to insult him. Like the many times before when Yongguk was present.

“He was needed back at the castle,” I respond as we both wait for our cars to be ready. I didn’t want to rush Bronze and Steel but couldn’t they move just a teensy bit quicker? Because I no longer want to stay in her presence. 

Eunah crosses her arms in front of her chest and all I could do is uncomfortably shift my eyes from her to around the outside of the hotel. Not because she makes me nervous but because Eunah always manages to somehow make me explode. It's a special skill of hers.

My manners would fly out the window just due to a few of her words. And it takes everything, everything within me to keep myself under control.

“You haven’t changed much since the last time I saw you,” Eun Ah begins again and I am forced to give her my attention. “Still quiet and awkward.”

“I could say the same to you.” Though, she is unlikeable and unpleasant. But, of course, I try my best to keep it to myself. 

“You’re always trying to make a scene,” she continues and I react quickly.

“How so?” 

“Like last night,” Eunah specifies without hesitation. “You couldn’t be like everyone else and just watched the show?”

“Well, why were you watching me and not the ‘show’?” I shot back. It was none of her business what I was watching. And, I really didn’t want to think about that horrid event so early in the morning. I can already tell the rest of my day is going to be sour. 

The tension between us quickly escalated as we stared at each other. And, before it could further worsen, Woobin makes his appearance. 

He carefully takes a look and attempts to break the cold atmosphere between us. “Princess Eunah, I’ve heard about your engagement. Congratulations.” 

Unlike the look she gave me, Eunah turned to Woobin and answered with a smile, “thank you.”

“Isn’t it really early?” I blurted the question before I could stop myself. 

The two turned towards me before Eunah replied, “actually, you should start looking into finding a husband too. You should get a head start.”

What in the world is that supposed to mean? I gaped at her before her Knight announced that her car was ready.

Good riddance. 

She turns away, leaving me to stare after her in complete disbelief.

Woobin’s stifled laughter starts to grow louder as soon as Eunah is out of earshot. 

“What are you laughing about?” I shoot him a look and he clears his throat, unsuccessfully stopping his chuckles. 

“Why are you so upset?” He questions back but I am not upset due to the reason he was thinking. “Are you upset she found a husband before you?”

“Of course, not,” I quickly denied. “If anything, I feel sorry for the man that has to marry her.” She was terribly unpleasant and I can’t even fathom how it would be to live with her. Just the thought was enough to cause others to pity him. 

Woobin sighs from beside me. “We’re all at the age now, huh?”

“I suppose,” I mumbled. The thought of marriage had escaped my attention. I never really thought about it. Many grew up thinking of marrying princes but none of that happened to appeal to me as it did to the others. I wonder why but at the same time, I was always different. 

“Wouldn’t it be nice to have someone there to listen and share your life with?”

His question causes me to arch my brow in his direction.

“What?” He froze, thinking he had said something wrong.

“I didn’t expect such sensitive words to come from you.” My image of Woobin consisted of making his wife miserable with his ruthless personality and…other terrible things. “But, to answer your question, I already have someone I can do that with.” I didn’t need a husband.

Woobin turned to look at me. “Who?”

“My Knight.” Yongguk is the one that always visits my room and the only one who I could speak with on a personal level. I couldn’t possibly do that with someone else. 

Woobin chuckled once more and I couldn’t believe I was witnessing him laughing so much. It was certainly a lot for him.

“Are you going to marry your Knight?”

I was about to answer when his question made a bigger impact than I thought. 

Marry Yongguk?

It was impossible but it didn’t cause any strong feelings of rejection to form within me. As if the idea wasn’t something that made me want to deny. Because, it wasn’t terrible.

“That would really be something. A Princess marrying her Knight - you’re really funny,” Woobin continues and while I could only return a sigh.

Maybe, I am. 

“Princess Haewon.” Steel walks over and bows in Woobin’s direction before turning his attention back on me. “The car is ready for your departure.” And at the same time, my father greets us by the car. 

“Thank you, Steel,” I softly answer and he walks away when I remember I should say my goodbyes to Woobin. “Well then, see you around.” I didn’t bother giving him a proper closing.

At my words, he looks at me in amusement. “I look forward to our next mee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter