Chapter 10: Opening the Doors

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared at my bag of belongings that was packed and sitting on the edge of the neatly made bed. We weren’t intending to stay here for more than two days and it was about time we left. Yet, there was something troubling me and it nagged at me to no end.

Well… there were a lot of things bothering me.

After leaving the High court yesterday, I wasn’t in the mood to speak to Yongguk – which was the strangest thing that has ever happened. I normally never had enough of his presence but I would be lying if I said I wasn't upset with him.

He hid things from me.

Sure, there were probably things that he didn’t tell me that I was okay with. Like what kind of errands my father made him go on but this information was about Sungrok and he knew how involved I was, yet he chose to keep it from me.

So, was I always alone when it came to Sungrok? Was there really nothing I could have done to stop it?

Soft knocks broke me from my thoughts, “come in.”

“Princess, the car is ready.”

I get up from the chair and lift up the bag from the bed. As I reach the door, Yongguk gently takes the baggage from me. I didn't say a word to him but as I raise my eyes, I find someone waiting in the hall to send us off.

“I hope your stay here was comfortable, Princess.” Prince Woobin stands there with Reaper and Titan by his side. They were silent like how they always are.

“I can’t say it was the best,” I didn’t hesitate to reply. He was another person I wasn’t happy with.

His lips stretch into a small smile, “your words are always so direct.”

“It’s better to be direct than to be devious.”

He stares back at me, not expecting such an answer. “What are you trying to say, Princess?”

“Prince Woobin, there are many secrets to you.” Youngjae’s words from yesterday slowly fill my mind and my tone softens, “coming here, I have believed you were underhanded but I didn’t realize why you were acting the way you did.”

“What are you talking about?”

“About your late friend.”

At the sudden mention, Prince Woobin’s body turns rigid and his casual manner vanishes, “who told you about that?”

Well, it was obvious he didn’t want me talking about it. “That fact doesn’t matter,” I quickly reply, “but you’ve made a mistake, Prince Woobin.”

His next words leave through clenched teeth, “nobody else thought so.”

“That’s the problem.” Nobody else stood up against this injustice. What a shame. “I know it makes sense to you to do what you did against the Lone Werewolf but it isn’t right. Your friend –“

“Watch your mouth –“

“Is that any way to speak to a Princess, Woobin?”

The distant voice greeted us from down the hall. The resemblance is clear as the older man gets closer and Yongguk and I bow when he stops in front of us.

“How are you, King Woohyun?”

“I’m sorry for my son’s impoliteness, Princess Haewon,” King Woohyun sighs and the Prince straightens up beside his father. “What should I do about him?” The older man continues as he takes a quick glance at his son.

“Father –“

“Don’t you think you owe the Princess an apology?” His father continued.

I didn’t notice any meanness to him. Quite the opposite of what I was expecting the father to such a ruthless Prince like Woobin to be like. At the mention, I thought of something even better. “King Woohyun, I actually have a request.”

“What would that be?”

“I know this might be a strange one but there is someone I wish to see in your prison.” Maybe I’ll get what I want in the end.

I could sense Yongguk’s body subtly tensing from beside me but not everyone can compose themselves as well as he can.

Prince Woobin reacted fast, realizing what I was after. “Father, how could we let a Princess visit such a place?”

“Enough, WobBin. This will serve as your apology,” the King continues without a minute of waiting. “I’m sure Reaper and Titan wouldn’t allow anything to happen to the Princess and she has the crowned winner, after all.” He harmlessly takes a look in Yongguk's direction.

“Thank you, King Woohyun,” I bowed and hid the triumph in my voice. Straightening up, I look back to meet Prince Woobin's stare. “Well then, Prince Woobin, will you be kind enough to show me the way?”

***

“What a perfect apology, I should add,” I looked up at the Prince as we walked through the heavily guarded prison. Extremely heavily guarded in comparison to our prison. He looked down at me in complete unhappiness and while I noticed Yongguk being more watchful than normally.

“I can’t believe you want to be here,” Prince Woobin mumbles under his breath.

“Why not? It’s not like it’s the first time I’ve been to a prison.”

He shoots me a look, “do not think to measure this prison to one of the prisons in the region of Kkum.”

“It can’t be that different,” I interject.

Titan crouches down when we meet a dead end and lifts the stone door, sliding it up high enough for us to enter the floor where Sungrok should be staying.

“Titan, you stay out here.” The Werewolf nodded in response to the Prince's order as I looked at the two in curiosity. Turning in my direction, he answers my silent question, “this ‘door’ can only be opened on one side.”

That’s different.

“About what you were saying –“ he proceeds to place his hand out to motion for me to go on, “I guess you can see for yourself.”

I flinched when my ears were met with heavy pounding against the metal bars. The constant banging sounded off on both sides of me and my head snapped up to witness the sight in front of me. People were screaming and yelling incoherent words from their cells. It was pure chaos on this floor of the prison.

“This is the level for deadmen,” the Prince introduces as I feel myself being placed in the center with Reaper and Yongguk standing around me. “They’re all issued the death penalty.”

Like he had said, this was nothing like our prison.

“Are you now afraid?” He looks at me from the corner of his eyes.

I admit he was right in his assessment of our prisons, but it isn’t exactly fright-inducing.

“I have no fear, Prince Woobin.” What should I be afraid about? They’re all behind bars. So, to prove my words true, I walked on ahead while leaving him, Yongguk, and the other Knight behind. “Where is the Lone Werewolf?”

“How do you want this to end?”

I stopped upon hearing Prince Woobin’s question and I turned around to face him. “The Lone Werewolf returned to me - that’s the end I want.”

“Do you know how impossible that is?”

“I haven’t even done anything yet.” I can still try. I can’t just give up yet.

“What can you do? The decision is final. There are eleven kingdoms in this region that all supported the death penalty for the Lone Werewolf.”

“So?” I merely respond.

“So? It means if you try to fight the ruling, you are going against the same eleven kingdoms,” he explains. “This was never a fight you could have won.”

“Prince Woobin, please just lead me to the Lone Werewolf.”

He couldn’t ever change my mind. No matter how hard he tries.

He stared back at me in disbelief before leading the way further down the floor. The prisoners continued their violent behavior and their yelling but I was too concern with meeting Sungrok that I heeded them no attention. I slowed to a halt seeing the Prince stopping before a cell on his right.

“Well, here he is,” Prince Woobin nods his head at the holding cell.

I walk over beside him to look in. There in the corner, sat Sungrok. He appeared unquestionably calmer than the rest of the people held here.

“I was trying to figure out why it was getting loud in here,” Sungrok remarked as he looked up to see us.

“Prince Woobin, do you mind leaving us?” I asked, though I doubt he would willingly go. “Red will be with me,” I added.

He glanced around before making a decision, “I’m giving you ten minutes.”

“Fine.” I didn’t need longer than that anyways. I watched as he motioned for Reaper to follow after him – leaving Yongguk and I with Sungrok.

“You don’t plan on leaving me alone, huh?” Sung Rok utters. His voice wasn’t indicating he was mad but rather, it showed he was tired.

“Not until they return you to me.”

“I’ve already received the death sentence.” 

I crouch down and close to the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter