Timeout

Sharapova's Grunt

The pain shot up from her foot and through her leg causing her to scream in agony, “How does it look doc?”

“You definitely rolled it and bruised your bone.”

“Can it be wrapped and I can play again?”

“We can try that. I better give you a shot for inflammation and the pain. The problem is that your foot will go numb. It might cause more problems.”

Jessica was gripping the bench in pain just hoping for them to shoot her up with something soon, “I got it. Just give me the shot.”

Jessica’s coach ran into the locker room right as they were wrapping the injured foot and ankle, “Jessica are you sure you want to go out again? This is just the beginning of tournament season. You have many others to play in.”

Jessica was feeling much better after she got the shot, “I am okay. Nothing broken or torn. Just a simple sprain that will heal before the US Open. Don’t worry.”

Her coach still looked concerned but as a former player he knew how much finishing the match would mean to her, “Fine, but I will be watching you closely. If I see you injuring it further, I want you to pull out.”

After putting her shoe on, Jessica stood up not feeling any pain at all and a faint sensation in the injured foot, almost like it wasn’t even there, “I know my limits. I will be fine.”

As Jessica and her coach were talking, the referee came in, “Miss Jung you have 5 minutes left on your medical timeout, are you coming back to play or calling the game?”

Jessica grabbed her towel, “I am coming out now.”

 

------------------------

 

Taeyeon was standing in front of the TV wondering if they would give a report on Jessica’s condition. Every second seemed like a century waiting to know if Jessica was going to be okay or not. “Maybe falling for an athlete was a bad idea. I didn’t think about injuries....No no think positive Taeyeon! She is fine. She has to be fine.”

After 15 minutes, Jessica re screen, “Oh...she doesn’t look hurt at all, but she looked to be in so much pain before....I wonder what happened.”

It was announced that Jessica was returning to play, “Silly girl if you are injured you should sit out and make me stop worrying...” Taeyeon was still concerned about Jessica but the injury didn’t seem to be a problem for her. “Maybe I worried for nothing?”

 

------------------------------

 

Jessica was playing her hardest but as the last set progressed, the pain started to return. She knew she should call the match but there were only a few games left before it would be over. Her playing went downhill since the injury and she was losing but she was determined to finish. Suddenly everything went black.

 

--------------------------------

 

Taeyeon was becoming more relaxed when she saw Jessica playing her hardest on the court even though she was losing by several games now. Just like before, Jessica fell down, but this time, she was not getting up. Taeyeon felt her heart explode, this time she knew it was serious. “Babo.”

 

---------------------------------

 

Slowly she opened her eyes to a white room. It didn’t look like her locker room or the courts. She knew that she out from the pain which means she lost, “Crap...” The tears welled around her eyes knowing something as stupid as an injury stopped her from a victory. She hated how she fought so well again but only to fall short once again.

“Jessica?” It was a familiar voice.

She wiped the tears out of her eyes to see her coach looking at her, “I lost didn’t I?”

“Don’t feel bad. There is always next year. Second isn’t bad either.”

Jessica sat up and looked for her phone. There were a dozen missed messages from Taeyeon so she called the girl quickly.

“Jessica you idiot!”

“Taeyeon calm down I am fine.”

“I am coming to England right now.”

“Taeyeon just wait at home. You know you can’t come.”

“I don’t care. You are hurt.”

“I don’t want you to get hurt too. You know the consequences for both of us if you come. I am fine now. Wait for me in Korea. I am coming back as soon as possible. Please do that for me.”

There was silence on the other end, “Fine. But let me know when you arrive.”

“I will find you when I get there.”

“Alright. Well get some rest.”

“Taeyeon you too. Don’t worry too much and sleep well.”

Jessica ended the call and looked at her coach, “Who is Taeyeon?”

“Umm friend in Korea. She is worried.”

“I have never seen anyone care for you this much before except me.”

“Hey! I have people who care about me!”

“Then why am I the only one by your side when you get hurt. I never saw you take a phone call like that before.”

“You know the reasons.”

“Jessica...I will always be here for you but you need to not be so closed up. Also your parents...”

“Please stop. I know very well. Just book me a flight to Korea.”

“I just worry about you. I will book your flight but you need to take good care of your body. I am coming in two weeks to check up on you.”

“What about practice?”

“Weight training for now and when I come, we will test your agility to see if you can practice again, but I want you to recover first. The next big tournament is one month from now.”

“I got it.” Jessica smiled and waved her coach farewell.

 

-------------------------

 

Jessica arrived at Incheon International Airport early in the morning on crutches. She was a bit mad that she was confined to crutches and her coach couldn’t be there to help her with her bags once she got to Korea. She slowly made her way towards baggage claim but her eyes shifted towards someone familiar, “Is that Taeyeon’s manager?”

The two had their eyes meet, “Miss Jung! I came to pick you up!”

Jessica wished the guy didn’t say her name so loud because now people recognized her and started to flock around her. Taeyeon’s manager fought through the crowd and helped Jessica out of the mess he created. “I will be taking you.”

“Taking me where?”

“I think you know already.”
 

----------------------------

 

Taeyeon was glad that Jessica’s coach seemed to like her and gave her Jessica’s flight schedule. However she was impatiently waiting to hear from her manager if Jessica arrived yet or not. Her phone finally rang, “Oppa! Did she arrive?”

“Yep she is here. I will be there soon.”

Taeyeon was giddy with excitement knowing that Jessica was going to be with her soon. It was a tormenting 24 hours for her while she waited for Jessica after hearing about the injury and trip to the hospital.

A few minutes later, Taeyeon heard her door opening. Her manager walked in with some luggage. Later a girl slowly entered. Taeyeon was almost in tears from concern, worry and happiness. “Sica!!!” How badly Taeyeon wanted to pounce on the girl but the crutches were getting in the way.

“Taeyeon you know you have a schedule tomorrow so I will pick you up at 7am for hair and makeup.”

“I got it. See you later oppa!”

After Taeyeon’s manager left, Taeyeon helped guide Jessica towards the couch and took her crutches away. She went to make Jessica more comfortable but once their eyes made contact, Taeyeon froze hovering close to Jessica, “Hello beautiful.”

Jessica smiled at the dorky girl, “I missed you.”

Taeyeon couldn’t resist the treat that was in front of her so she went down and gave Jessica a soft kiss, “And I missed that.”

“That is a benefit too.” The girls laughed and went on to enjoy one another’s company for the day.

As the night approached, Taeyeon was able to move Jessica to her bed, “You are going to live here till you heal.”

“But you are busy during the day. It would be better if I just go home instead.”

Taeyeon was determined to keep Jessica in her care, “No. I am stealing your crutches so you can’t leave.”

“Ya! I have other things to do too.”

Taeyeon climbed into bed and snuggled into Jessica’s embrace, “No more talking. You can’t leave and that is final. You are mine till I release you.”

“Am I being held captive now?”

“You captured my heart first.” Jessica smiled at Taeyeon’s cheesy lines but her heart was fluttering and falling more for the girl. Although this relationship was new, love was moving fast into each other’s hearts.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Sorry to upset some readers with Jessica having to forfit...injuries are rough but they happen a lot in tennis. I hope you liked the return of taengsic fluff ^^

Also if you get a chance, I made a taengsic one-shot cause I had time: The Musical 

Thanks for the support! I even got some more upvotes from SomethingToFightForkimtaeny1110, and tamynl