Consequences

Sharapova's Grunt

“Kim Taeyeon! What the h*ll were you doing in Washington DC?! Your face is posted on every major tabloid with your association with Jessica Jung. Some are even dating scandals. We just got you out of one recently and you have another?!” It had been 3 days since Taeyeon had come back from the states and every newspaper had to get their hands on her recent picture in Washington DC. There were many speculations to why she was there, some said vacation, work, and now a dating scandal with the famous tennis player Jessica Jung. Taeyeon’s boss has been reprimanding Taeyeon and her manager over the situation since they entered his office. “Taeyeon you better have a really good explanation to this. I can’t cover this without a good reason.”

Taeyeon bowed her head in shame since she knew the consequences when she went to visit Jessica, “Well you see the rumors are true this time. Jessica and I are dating.”

Taeyeon’s boss sat back in his chair, not in anger, but in astonishment. He waved one of the articles in the air, “So you are saying these are true?”

“Yes sir.” There was no reason to hide the fact that she was dating from her boss. There were no rules against dating and it was his job to help protect her image.

Her boss sighed and looked at Taeyeon in concern, “Taeyeon you have been with us a long time and worked very hard to build up your career. Do you want to continue on this current path?”

Taeyeon was confused to where her boss was going with this speech, “I am very happy being in this company and doing my work. I wouldn’t ever think of throwing it away.”

“Are you and Jessica serious?”

“We have been dating a while but we are still in a new relationship.”

Taeyeon’s boss sat up and put his elbows on his desk while locking his eyes at Taeyeon, “I am sure you know the easy solution is to end your relationship with Jessica, but I have never seen you sneak off somewhere to meet someone before. I am guessing even if I tell you to break it off, you wouldn’t so that approach is useless. What about Jessica’s reputation? If we make this public, she might get hurt too.”

“I have been thinking about that a lot too sir. I don’t want Jessica to be dragged into all mess that these reporters do when they find out about relationships either.”

“I thought so. Did you ever want to come out in public about your relationship with her?”

“I do, but not right now. Jessica is busy with her work and so am I. A dating scandal would be very hard at the moment.”

“I agree with you since you have that world tour coming up. I have a proposition then.” Taeyeon was a bit scared to what her boss was to suggest, but he was the expert in this area. “I think you and Jessica need to take a break till your world tour is done at least. I know you don’t want to do this but the reporters need to calm down and we need to make it convincing that you two are only friends. No more surprise visits to her tournaments or anything like that. I won’t allow you to get close to her. I want you to focus on work for now until we can get everything to cool down.”

Taeyeon wanted to argue back and somehow convince him that they don’t need a break but this was also the only solution she thought of when she saw the tabloids. “I understand.”

“You will be going on extra variety shows and I am making you attend all meetings for your world tour. I know this will be hard on you but I want your focus on this tour and nothing else.”

“I understand.” Taeyeon could already feel the exhaustion that would consume her with this new schedule.

“Okay then. You may leave. I will make the arrangements and have your manager fill you in later with what you will do this next month.”

Taeyeon left her bosses office in defeat and questions to how she should tell Jessica that they needed to take a break. At times like these, it always sounded easer to tell about their love to the world but that is always easier said than done. While driving back to her apartment, Taeyeon decided not to tell Jessica about their sudden break until Jessica finished her current tournament. The poor girl didn’t need any more distractions especially since she already made it to the finals of that current tournament.

 

 

A week passed since Taeyeon spoke to her boss. It was hard to talk to Jessica normally like their relationship wouldn’t come to a sudden halt soon but today was d-day. She had to tell Jessica what her company wanted out of them. Taeyeon’s phone started buzzing but she just stared at it even though she knew it was Jessica. Slowly, she made it over to her phone and answered, “Jessica?”

“Taengoo! I won! I won!”

Taeyeon smiled at her girlfriend’s cuteness, “Good job! I saw already on the live feed.”

“I thought you did but I wanted to tell you in person....well through my voice...umm you know what I mean.”

Taeyeon chuckled, “I know. I am proud of you and you are not hurt this time. That is the best news I got so far.”

“Yep. I am in good shape!”

“Oh I know...”

“Byuntae! I can see your grinning on this side of the phone already.”

“You can’t see me but I think you caught me haha.”

“It is late by you. I should let you sleep. I have just practice now so call me at any time later.”

“Sica wait! I have something to tell you also.”

“Mmm yea?”

“Did you see the tabloids about us?”

“Yep but your company shot them down quickly. Are you worried about me because those didn’t bother me much. Only we know the truth.”

“Well you see that was half of the deal. My boss wants us to take a break too. Just until the world tour is done.” The line went silent on the other side, “Sica?”

“By break, can I still call and text you? We just don’t get to see each other right?”

“Yes but my boss is working me extra so I don’t have much time to talk at all or if I do, I will be somewhere where I can’t talk to you because of the people I am by.”

“I see. You are going to be very busy too.”

“Sica I am sorry. It isn’t long. Just two months. We can do that.”

“No I get it. If I am to support your career then I will have to play along with your boss’s demands. Sometimes I wish we could come out publicly.”

“I also need to protect you Jessica. We will let everyone know when the time is right.”

“I know...”

“I have a show to go to. I will try to message you when I have time. Take care.”

“Taeyeon....”

“Yes?”

“You know I love you...”

“I love you too. My one and only lover.”

With a heavy heart, Taeyeon hung up her phone and headed out to the van. She didn’t like that her life became this way. She just wanted a happy life that included both her career and Jessica. Why can’t she have both?