Time Apart

Sharapova's Grunt

The summer heat was blazing down on Taeyeon causing her to think of how her girl must be suffering in this heat too. “Ah so hot!” The little things would make her think of Jessica and how much she missed the girl so much. It had been nearly two weeks since Jessica left for England. Of course the two kept in contact and Jessica would update her on her results for the day. However, the conversations could never last long because of their conflicting schedules and time difference.

“Taeyeon you have to go out soon.” Taeyeon had her eyes glued to her iPad every time she had a break trying to see if Jessica was doing well that day or not.

“I got it.” Taeyeon finished reading an article about Jessica. She knew tonight was a big match for the girl. Jessica had been doing well in the tournament and was passing through with ease. Today was when Jessica would play in the semi-finals so if she wins here, she makes it to the finals. Somehow Jessica’s success made Taeyeon more proud to be her girl.

Taeyeon was almost done promoting her new album so she was appearing on one of her last variety shows today. She was excited because the host (Yoo Jae-suk) made the show pretty fun and there were other idols too.

 

Yoo Jae-suk looked at Taeyeon, “Taeyeon I heard from your manager that you have a new talent.”

Taeyeon laughed, “Did he tell you that? I just realized I can do another imitation.”

“Why not share it for the first time here for our viewers?”
“I will be imitating Sharapova.”
“Sharapova? Ah Sharapova! The tennis player.”

“I will be imitating her. Maybe you can pass me a ball?”

Jae-suk finds a ball and throws it at Taeyeon who hits it with her pillow while grunting (see picture above). After she started to burst down laughing. Memories came flashing back how she and her manager were making fun of that woman while she went to see Jessica play for the first time. The laughter subsided and she started to smile while thinking of Jessica again. The girl never left her mind since she met her, and now she got a new “talent” because of that fateful day.

 

The variety show ended and the cameras went off. Taeyeon was about to go to the waiting room to change clothes but Jae-suk stopped her. “So Taeyeon I saw you with Jessica Jung. Did you learn your talent from her?”

Taeyeon scoffed how accurate this guy could be. He wasn’t the nation’s MC for nothing but it also made him one of the biggest gossips in the industry. This guy literally knew everything about the stars. “I happened to watch the two play.”

“I didn’t know you were into tennis.”

She wanted to admit that tennis wasn’t her passion but a certain girl brought her into that world, “I ah was there for an event. Jessica and I met because of that.”

Jae-suk looked at Taeyeon like she was hiding something, “You two seem really close, are you sure nothing else is going on?”

Taeyeon didn’t want to fall for Jae-suk’s trap so she quickly found a way out of this conversation when her manager came up, “Ah manager I am coming!” She looked at Jae-suk, “Sorry but I have another event to go to.” She knew this would mean that Jae-suk would only get more curious but she didn’t want to give him any more hints about the relationship her and Jessica shared.

Taeyeon quickly retreated to her manager’s side, “Taeyeon what event?”

Taeyeon smiled, “Isn’t it eventful to take me home?” Taeyeon skipped to her dressing room leaving her manager to run after her again.

“I will be waiting with the van outside. Be ready in 20 minutes.” Taeyeon smiled and shut the door. She looked at her phone and saw a missed call from Jessica.

“She called 20 minutes ago...it should be fine if I call her back right?” Taeyeon changed in less than 5 minutes before calling Jessica back.

“Hello?”

“You are awake! I saw you called.” Taeyeon was ecstatic to hear Jessica’s voice again although she sounded very tired.

“I did. I had good news to tell you.”

“Did you win today too?”

“Yes!” Taeyeon only heard excitement in Jessica’s voice like she had been revived of her lost energy. “I am going to the finals!”

Taeyeon was happy for her, but she knew this meant that it would take longer for the girl to return. “That is great!”

“Taeyeon I can tell you aren’t that happy.”

Taeyeon was horrible at lying, “Ah not that! I finished recording a variety show today.”

“Really? That means I can watch it with you when I come back. When does it air?”

“In two weeks.” Taeyeon thought and a smile formed on her lips, “So that means I will definitely see you in two weeks?”

“I already told you I was coming back after this tournament.”

“And you are staying??”

“For maybe a month. Then I need to go to the USA, but we can talk about that later. I wanted to tell you that I won and will be here longer. I know you are disappointed. I miss you very much too.”

Taeyeon looked at her watch and saw that she needed to head out, “I really miss you. I will cheer you on till the end. I have to go.”

“I do too. Finals are in two days. I won’t be able to contact you till that is over.”

Taeyeon was really bummed but she knew that Jessica took her career very seriously, “I understand. I have off the day you play so I will watch it live. I love watching you play.”

Jessica laughed, “I know what you are watching you byuntae.”

The conversation ended with the two laughing at Taeyeon’s erted mind. Jessica always knew how to lift Taeyeon back up when she was down.

 

--------------------

 

Taeyeon was super excited to have a day off since she wrapped up her promotion schedule late into last night. Even if she wanted to call Jessica, she probably didn’t have time anyway. Most of the day Taeyeon ran around her house doing various things to pass the time because Jessica didn’t play till almost 10pm Korean standard time. Even her manager had to come by and show Taeyeon how to access her sports channels so she could watch it on her TV.

“Ah 9:30...why is today taking so long!! It wouldn’t hurt if I turn to that channel now right?”

Taeyeon hopped onto her couch and the TV which was already set to the channel she needed. She saw that the channel let her watch the player warm-up, “Ah Jessica! I see you! If I knew you were on this early I would have turned this on earlier.” Taeyeon was a bit bummed but she got lost in her thoughts while eyeing out Jessica, ‘Ah someone looks hot with that white skirt. Wow the girl you are playing has a weird name Ra-d-wa-ń-ska...oh you are from Poland. So hard to pronounce.’

Taeyeon was released from her thoughts as she heard the announcers start their prematch predictions:

 “So we have the number 2 seeded player in the world, Radwańska, against the number 9 player, Jessica Jung. What are your thoughts?”

“You know Jung has been having a great season. She has fell short several times for first but I think that makes her want to fight for this win even more.”
“But Radwańska isn’t one to be taken lightly. She has a hard forehand and smart play. It might be difficult for Jung to pull out an easy win.”

“You shouldn’t be taking Jung lightly either. She may be on the smaller side of women tennis players but that makes her have amazing agility and a consistent playing style. She may not be as powerful as Radwańska but Jung wears down her opponents.”

“It will be one heck of a match.”

 

“Yea no one messes with my Jung!” Taeyeon started talking back to the announcers until the match started. The more Taeyeon watched Jessica play, she could understand a bit more how Jessica played although the sport still confused her to no end.

The commercial came on after the first set, “Ah she lost the first set! Jessica why do you always make me wait in agony! Just beat her quick!” (**Tennis you need to win 2 out of 3 sets**)

The commercial ended and the girls started the second set. Taeyeon saw that Jessica was doing much better in the second set causing Taeyeon to jump in excitement when Jessica won the second set, “Yea! That’s my girl! Now win the next one!!” Taeyeon calmed down and looked around her empty apartment kind of embarrassed she was yelling at her TV.

“Stupid announcers. Just have them play already.” Taeyeon was getting bored and slightly irritated from tiredness while she waited for the girls to start the final set to determine the match.

Finally the game started again and Taeyeon watched intently as both the players didn’t want to back down. Suddenly, in a blink of an eye, Jessica was on the ground.

Taeyeon shot out of her seat towards the TV, as if she could go in and be by Jessica’s side, “Why is she on the ground?? Did I miss something?”

After a while, the announcer gave a report, “Jung is on medical timeout from looks like an ankle injury...” Taeyeon blocked out the rest of the talking when she heard Jessica was injured. It was at this moment that Taeyeon really hated the distance. More than anything she wanted to be by Jessica’s side. She wanted to make her feel better.
 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I tried avoiding tennis terminology as much as possible for those that don't know anything about the sport, but I couldn't avoid all of it. So any questions, just message me. 

Also thanks for all the upvotes! This is one of my most upvoted stories thus far so thank you hwaitaengoosooyeon_1804ItachipandaKalakiMaefxdeliciouz, and Bumella who gave upvotes recently.

Don't forget to comment. I update sooner the more feedback I get. I like to know if you are still interested ^^