To The Fullest - 6

To Turn Lies True

"So... going back to where we were." I said taking a deep breath and thinking back, "You know who was after me, but you don't know who sent them or why." 

"Oh I can assume why. They're asking for a fight." he said. 

"Aren't you taking it a little personally?" I chuckled awkwardly. 

"It is a personal issue; but no, no not that. They have no reason to target you other than that you're close with me. If they want someone close with me dead, they do know that I'm going to take revenge and it won't be a cold or sweet one, it'll be an open war. If they're still doing this, they're asking for a fight." he explained further. 

"Oh boy..." I muttered and rubbed my forehead. I could feel a headache coming. "Then what about now, since I'm not dead?" 

"Well, I can go a little easier on whomever did this." he nodded. I sighed a little. 

"Which means?" 

"Finding out and interrogating first." he said, "I want to know why they are being so directly offensive." 

"I assume they were being offensive before; but not "directly" as you said?" I asked. 

"Yep." he nodded with a smile. 

"So who are they?" I asked.

"I told you, I don't know!" he said, sounding a bit impatient. 

"No, what I mean is; you said they were being offensive before. Who was being offensive before? And what exactly is this offense are we talking about?" I explained my question. He appeared to be thinking for short. 

"Let's say... they are everyone that lives in the underworld." he said. I frowned.

"Underworld, as in the movie?" I asked, jokingly. He laughed.

"Yeah, vampires and stuff. Like hell the movie! Seonmi, we're trying to be serious here!" he said; but kept laughing for a while. Seeing him laugh like that made me laugh a little as well. When he was finished laughing, he continued speaking with a lingering smile. "No, not the supernatural jazz. It could be any gang, drug dealers, illegal arms dealers, people who have a grudge against me..." 

"Are there a lot of people who have a grudge against you?" I asked. 

"Meh, more or less." he shrugged lightly. I raised my brows. "Grudge or envy, all the same. In the end they all just wanna make me hurt or kill me." 

"Kill you?!" I said, making sure to keep my voice down even though I felt like screaming. He just nodded. 

"That's usual for me; but I can say they aren't quite good at that since I'm still alive and kicking. Dad makes sure of that lately." he said. 

"So you're kinda like the son of a mafia boss or something?" I asked. He looked down at me and blinked. 

"Close enough; but no." he smiled, ruffling my hair. "Boss isn't my dad; but I am the heir."

"Okay, now I am confused." I shook my head to try and clear my head. "You have a lot of explaining to do." 

"Told you so." he nodded slowly, then took a deep breath. "My dad is one of the right hand men of Boss. Boss trusts them with his life and they'd never betray him. But more than that, the reason he trusts them so much is that they're so competent that they'd never get into any kind of situation they can't escape and would put Boss or his secrets in danger. They're also impossible to buy off because no matter how much bribe you offer them, it's now appealing because they don't have an issue about money. Apparently it was the previous boss who had pulled them off of some as they were children and raised them up as they are now so that's where the loyalty comes from." 

"Sounds like a perfect bunch for security." I commented. He nodded. 

"They also have their own specialties. They don't use their real names, I doubt they even remember it anymore; they use the nicknames they started calling each other during their training times. Some of them are quite ridiculous, actually. Like, there's a guy called Hitman; but his job isn't to kill people, he doesn't work that well with firearms and he doesn't really look like the man in the Hitman movie - not that I'd expect him to. The real hitman in the group is my dad and they call him Softie. He hates that name." he chuckled. I raised a brow. 

"That makes no sense." I said. 

"I absolutely agree." he nodded. "Oh now, where was I? Yeah, rigth hand men... well, you know, Boss never got married. He had his here and there, he got many of them pregnant; but if he tried to find out which one of the brats is one of his sons for real, he'd waste a fortune on it and it'd become a mess. So he decided to pick a successor instead. He'd pick the most competent one out of the men and kids he saw. Being my father's son, I was one of the candidates, of course." 

"And he chose you." I concluded. Luhan shook his head. 

"It's not that simple!" he protested. "There were a lot of kids as good as me - maybe even better. Most of them had led good lifes with their mothers as their father did the dirty jobs. I didn't have a mother, I had grown up with loaded guns as my toys and running as my hobby. I was the one most used to the life Boss had to offer his successor. I must say, he's quite soft hearted despite all these years wasted in his business." 

"You don't have a mother?" I said. He rolled his eyes a little. 

"Out of everything I said, you pick out that?" he sighed, then nodded, "But yeah, I don't have a mother. Dad says she was shot by a man who wanted revenge on dad. Dad couldn't stop the man in time; but when he found out that his beloved was dead, he was furious. He never talks of what he did to the man; but I doubt he even has a grave anymore... oh well. Then dad found out that I was still alive because mom had somehow managed to protected me. I was about two years old back then and I don't remember a thing about it. For all I know, I never had a mother and I grew up with my dad. And guns. And the of Boss."

"Excuse me, come again?" I asked with a frown. of Boss??!

"Don't worry, they took care of me as I grew up, nothing more." he dismissed my frown with a wave of his hand, "You can't leave a kid alone for too long, you know. They cooked for me, made sure I didn't destroy the house and bought me toys... I have to admit some of them were a little weird... but yeah, that was all."

"I... see..." I said, quite weirded out by this style of life I was hearing about. How could a kid grow up in such an environment? "You did go to school, right?" 

"Of course. I told you that I'm in university now, didn't I?" he said.

"Well that could have been a lie too." I reasoned. He shook his head. 

"Not a lie, of course. I'm studying business and economy. Three years later, I'll start working directly under Boss... and the best part of that is you never have to dirty your hands." he said. I didn't know what to think about this. I had more to ask about it but I didn't want to get too distracted from the subject we were talking about now. 

"Okay, now you were one of the successor candidates and the one most used to the life Boss had to offer. Then?" I asked. He thought for short. 

"I don't remember when it was; but one day Boss declared that he decided who would be his successor and that he had a list in his mind of who it could be if the first choice died. And I was the first choice... and apparently it was a test, as well... of survival. When he announced my name, people started coming after me, one after another. I was good at running away; but I wasn't good at killing. I only wounded them so they couldn't chase me and ran away. I made some safe hiding places in parts of the city so when I ran away I wouldn't have to run until the base. I made friends; but I stopped it when one of them betrayed me. In a month, I was able to run and hide from any possible danger. And it pleased the Boss. He banned everyone under him from bringing any harm to me. If anyone tried to do anything to me, the Boss threatened to torture their family before their eyes. Ever since then, I've been living a somewhat normal university life." 

"It doesn't sound quite that normal..." I mumbled, trying to swallow everything that I'd just heard. 

"I live with an old couple who run a ramyun shop and if you ignore the fact that they are Boss's parents, they're perfectly normal cute old people. I go to university and I'm in basketball club even though I'm not friendly with anyone there and I'm not in the team. I study, take my exams... I'd say that's pretty normal." he said. I blinked a few times.

"So it's true that you live with an old couple who run a ramyun shop. You just forgot to mention who exactly they are. And the Boss actually trusts you with the location of his parents." I summed up to understand better. It was starting to become too much information all at once. 

"That house is more well-protected than a fortress, even if everyone knows where it is or who lives there, they can do nothing. Boss doesn't like to take risks." Luhan explained. I nodded slowly again. 

"I see... so what about you, you said you grew up with guns and you're the chosen successor; you must have done some pretty dirty work yourself." I said. It caused him to pull himself away from me slightly and look down. I instinctively put my hand on his and he wrapped his fingers around my palm. 

"Definitely I did." he said simply. I kept my mouth shut and gave him time. Even though he said he'd talk to me and tell me everything; I knew it must be hard for him to talk about stuff like that. He took a deep breath and kept talking in a quiet voice after a short silence. "I don't like killing people. I'm good with guns and I know how to fight enough to keep me alive in any kind of situation; but I don't like seeing people drop dead in front of me. I hate seeing bodies twitch with wide open dead fish eyes. I... when I kill someone, I like doing that softly. I have my own way of killing. I do it before they see it coming and I don't give them a second glance once I've shot. I just turn around and walk away and I'm always sure that they're dead, I haven't seen anyone survive a bullet directly to the head."

"Typical sniper." I heard myself mutter before I even realised. My eyes widened when I noticed it and I wanted to slap myself; but it somehow made Luhan chuckle. 

"What makes you say that?" he asked, looking at me with real curiosity in his eyes. I thought for a little. What did, indeed?

"Well, you don't like seeing people dead and yet you do your job and you don't like to look at them after they're shot. It requires a certain distance from the victim and a sharp aim - so you don't bring harm to anybody else but give your victim a easy death. Both shooting from a distance and a pinpoint aim are qualities of a good sniper." I explained, both to myself and to him. He seemed amused by it. 

"Then let's say there's this person who really likes to help people but hates to see blood and is very cowardly. And they are in an organization like mine. What would they be?" he asked, eyes sparkling like a child. I had to think only a few seconds before it occured to me.

"Poisoner. No blood, no fights, no immediate deaths. Heck, he can even fake going hysterical and trying to help the person he poisoned a very realistic way. Nobody would even notice." I shrugged. Luhan chuckled amusedly. 

"I think you're quite amazing at this." he said. I blinked and looked up at him in surprise.

"Well, isn't that quite obvious? I mean anyone who reads enough and has the ability to think can figure it out in seconds." I said. It really wasn't too much now, was it? All I thought was "if I was an author, this kind of character would assasinate this way" and poof! It fit. Luhan shook his head and chuckled. 

"Well I think it's quite impressive, so sue me." he said. 

"Okay, back to the main topic again." I pointed out, getting him to collect himself once more, "You are the son of a hitman, a sniper yourself and the successor of the Boss you seem to respect a lot. So. Who is this Boss?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW CHAPPY!! hope you like it, again i'm looking forward to comments <3 i'm preparing my next fanfic material as well, almost decided on which characters to use as well. i don't think i'll take too long starting the new one once this short story is over. /too greedy tbh OTL well, don't forget to comment!! thank you :D