Paranoia

25 Years

She was walking slowly in the middle of the night, carrying a flashlight. There was fog in the air and her legs seemed to be having a mind of it's own. Uknowingly, she took a step towards a small, abandoned, alley. She kept on walking until the ray of her flashlight fell on a figure. It was small and looked like a lump for afar, but when she got closer, she could see that the figure was actually a little girl. The smell of caramel pierced through the air. She touched her skin and didn't feel any drops of sweat. Could it be? Was it the little girl's aura? In a blink of an eye the little girl was standing infront of her, holding a broken glass. "I don't want to die.." she whispered. "I'm sorry" and then she pushed her to the ground. She stood back up, blinking, "I dont want to hurt you, please dont do this." she said quickly,"I mean no harm." the girl smiled a sickening grin, "And you suppose i should believe you? How can I know if you wouldn't kill me?" she snapped "Thankyou, and sorry, it's just the way it is." Out of nowhere, the piece of broken glass flung infront of her face, knocking her into unconciousness.

Victoria woke up sweating heavily. Her head ached badly and she struggled out of her bed to get tissues and medicine.

I dreamed it again. She thought to herself.

This wasnt the first time she experienced that nightmare but everytime she encounter it in her sleep, it never gets easier.

She woke up screaming one night, and Taeyeon had to sleep beside her and calm her down.

Sleeping was never a rest for her; not with that nightmare.

Victoria walked out of the room, still in her magenta coloured pajamas and unicorn slippers. She went up some flight on stairs and arrived infront of a door with a sign: "Trainer's Lounge"

She knocked and went inside. A bunch of trainers from different sections were sitting down on a large sofa, talking casually.

Amongst them was Trainer Lee Hyori. She noticed Victoria and sighed as she stood up to face her, "Is everything alright?"

"No, I had a nightmare and a headache as a bonus." she weakly smiled.

Trainer Lee looked sympathetically at her and ushered her into a corner where her desk stood. She took a clean glass and poured some warm water into it.

"Is it the usual dream?" she said as she offered Victoria the glass of water.

She thankfully took the glass in her hands and gulped some water. "Yes, but the headache is worse than the last ones."

"If you get used to the fact that we have to kill to survive, you might get better."

"How can you say that? You don't know how it feels like because your pair died in an accident." Victoria snapped.

Trainer Lee looked out of the window and smiled bitterly, which made Victoria regret her words.

"Yes, I'm lucky that my pair died in a car accident before I had a chance to battle against him. I should be thankful right?"

Victoria saw Trainer Lee's eyes become watery for a second, but then went back to the usual cold look.

"I still feel guilty though, since he died when I lived. Even though i didn't kill him. " she paused for a moment, "I'm not that heartless, sweetie."

"I'm sorry," she said quietly. Her grip on the glass became shaky and she put it on the desk.

Trainer Lee shook her head, "Me too. But I have to admit that I did feel a bit more relieved since my pair was somebody that I did not know."

"Who was your pair?" Victoria asked.

"Oh, just some guy who was drunk-driving. The authorities announced that he was 20 years old and that his scent was vanilla. I read it in the news"

Victoria sighed, "I bet you felt horrible."

Trainer Lee looked away, "Not really, not at the time. I was secretly glad that i didn't have to kill him myself but now that I think about it, I feel ashamed of myself."

"Secretly glad because you don't have to die early?."

"Heyy- who said i was going to lose if we actually had a battle?" Trainer Lee frowned. "I trained really hard, you know?"

Victoria laughed and they both smiled.

"My suffering wasn't as miserable as Trainer Ok's though." She added slowly. "His pair was somebody he loved."

"Who was it?"

"It was his bestfriend's sister," she scoffed. "God, she was still 15."

Victoria was shocked, "Did he plan to kill her?"

"Good heavens no. When he found out, he was planning on suicide but she already beat him to it." Trainer Lee was silent for a while, "She wrote in her diary that she loved him and would rather die than killing him."

"And then what happened to Trainer Ok? Was he devastated"

"Ofcourse. On top of that, her family blamed him for her death and his bestfriend hated him"

Victoria mumbled in disagreement, "But it wasn't his fault."

"Honey, they just blamed him to make themselves feel better. It is easier to just blame other people than dealing with it on your own,"

---------------------------------

Myungsoo never was the friendly type; his closest friends only included Victoria and Nana, and maybe Taemin, his roommate.

But unless it was about training, food or video games, they never really talked much.

Somehow, he never really understood people like Minho and Jonghyun. They actions are so spontaneous and daring, unlike him.

Maybe it was just his nature. People say that he is a really calm person. But he thought it was just a nicer way of saying boring.

The only people that can bear to stay and talk to him are usually girls, since they have more patience than boys.

Even though he was surrounded by girls, he only loves Nana.

Ever since they were kids, he always admired her. Not only was she beautiful, she was also the funniest, smartest and most caring person he ever met. She always stood up for him when he was bullied, play with him when he was alone and only a few years ago he realized that he had developed feelings for her.

Truthfully, he had always felt that way but he could never understand what it was until he talked to Victoria about it.

It was when they were both eating at the street vendors infront of the institute. The freezing cold winds against the subtle puffs of heat coming from the food they were savagely enjoying.

"Hey Vic, do you have something.. I mean someone you like?" Myungsoo asked a bit too nonchalantly.

She choked on the fishcake she was munching. "Ofcourse not! why did you-"

"Oh never mind. I guess you've never been in love too." There was quietness for a few seconds. "What if i tell you i had? Been in love, i mean." Vic said.

After hearing that, his mouth formed an O. "But- but why didnt you ever tell me?"

"It wasnt important at the time, plus, you didnt need to know anyways."

"So who was it? The guy?" he interrogated.

"Sec-ret!" she replied in a mocking sing-song tone.

"Ugh. I knew it." he cursed. "You never tell me anything."

"Hmm, do you want to tell me what it feels like or not?"

He stared at her, and then gave up and nodded. Victoria pointed at her head. "It feels like you've turned into sudden retard-mode. Like when that person talks to you or smile, you feel happy for no reason and you dont know what to do."

"So you're saying that love is retardedness?"

She smacked him in the head. "Such a babo. No, I dont mean that. I'm saying that love makes you feel so happy that it turns even the smartest people into complete fools."

He rubbed the throbbing area of his skull and muttered a protest. "You at explaining things."

After that talk with Victoria he suddenly realised that the feeling she talked about was what he had felt for Nana for a very long time.

He always didnt know what to do around her, he felt extremely happy when she laughs and was always thankful that she even tolerated him.

It was finally confirmed. He liked Nana.

------------------------------

Author's Note: I really feel bad for making Victoria so depressed. hahaha.