Crimson

25 Years

Minho sat on one of the seats outside as he waited, his head hanging down in a depressing way.

It's sort of a custom for the section members to wait for the battle results in a separate room until one of the people inside won. They were all sprawled around the room, either dazed or anxious. He was neither- since he had been praying for a few minutes now.

Just then, Nana started circling the room, giving out white envelopes to each one of the members before arriving to where he was. She did not dare to disturb him from his thoughts so she placed the letter next to him, whispering that it was from Taeyeon.

Minho hastily straightened up in his seat and glanced around for the note. He snatched it quickly and turned to Nana, he looked almost hysterical as he did, "This.. Is from Taeyeon?"

"Yeah," the girl said, "She wanted me to distribute these during her battle. You better read what she wanted to say."

As she went on her way, Minho stared at the envelope in his hands and opened the flap, pulling out a folded paper from within. Taeyeon's small handwriting decorated the pages and he couldn't help smiling at her effort. It read:

 

Dear Minho,

 

You have no idea how weird it is for me to even write that. I mean- I've never actually addressed you in a letter before, more so as a 'dear'. Alright, ignore that extremely awkward beginning. I am actually not the master of making a good speech so don't be dissapointed in this letter.

First of all, Thank you. Even though I don't say that a lot- I'm grateful to have met you. You're probably the only one who had ever believed in me so much- and I have no idea why you do. I am pretty clumsy, I'm not as strong as you say I am and very, very clueless (so have I heard from some people)

But putting all that aside- you still stood by me and never left. I don't know what I did in my past life to deserve this but you have no idea how grateful I am to have you as my escape.

It might sound absurd but it's true.

Remember that time I mentioned to you about running away somewhere to avoid all the horrible things that occured? I was lying. I knew very well that no such place existed- but still hoped for it anyways. You can never just abandon your problems, you have to solve them before you could move on with life.

Even though it might not be much; but you've been my temporary escape since then. Every time I needed to take a small breather or two from all the chaos I'd turn to you- and for that short moment, I'd actually feel safe.

I also know that you've automatically become protective over me, and as much as I had loved that, it also made me realize that I can't always dodge away from my troubles. I decided to face them instead. I wanted to show you that you didn't need to worry so much anymore.

When Ham Eunjung came along- it just opened my eyes. I was aware that everything in my life was at jeopardy- and that included you. I have thought of my own death countless of times and each time, I'd see you crushed. I don't want you to end up like that.

If I actually did, you know, die. Don't die along with me.

Don't follow me.

Please carry on. I'd hate it if you didn't.

Minho, life is like that. If there is gain, there will be loss. But you will find strength to accept and go along with it. One day, you'll think back to remember me, and you'd smile from it. That's what I wish for.

If I go, then just think of it as a good memory having its closure. Remember not only the good things; but also the bad ones. It helps with moving on.

But that is, if I leave.

Because even if I had the chance, I'd stay with you. So don't you dare think that I wouldn't try. Trust me, I'll do whatever I can to go back to you.

I'll never give up on you.

Thankyou for teaching me what real strength is like. I hope that you'll also stay strong for me as I had done for you.

 

-Yeon               

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

The tension was unnerving.

Taeyeon was standing still in the middle of the room after the announcement of her arrival. The place was large in size- she inspected- and the roof was convexed upwards and she guessed this room was located at the top of the dome building of he institute. She squirmed, moving her gaze from side to side as if waiting for chaos to ensue.

Everything was silent and still, so she assumed that Eunjung hadn't entered the battleground. Taeyeon quickly concealed herself behind one of the concrete boulders standing around. Come to think of it, the area was more or less shaped like a maze, with the exception of the hollow circle in the middle of it.

She was walking through one of the narrow pathways of the makeshift maze when a familiar voice was heard.

"Korea's Assasination Training Board section 4H- Member code 08H- Name: Ham Eun Jung- is ready for Battle Royale initiation."

She unconsciously moved her hands back to reach for the hilt of her blade, just in case if anything happens. Taeyeon soundlessly paced around the walkway, hoping that she wasn't lost.

Eunjung probably was lurking in some parts of the maze too, she had figured. As she approached the circular clearing in the middle of the battleground, Taeyeon's breathing took a plunge.

Ham Eunjung was sitting with her legs crossed in the middle of it with her eyes closed. It looked as if she was meditating, but it felt more disturbing than peaceful. For a second there, Taeyeon was thinking of running up behind her and stabbing her somewhere in the back (literally) but then she decided that it would be no different than Eunjung's act of ambush on her. She'd be not much better than her.

The petite girl stepped into the clearing as she observed her opponent. Eunjung was wearing a cap and a black mask to cover . There was no dress-code for a battle, no one actually bothered when their lives are on the line. Slowly, the other girl opened her eyes and they gazed upon Taeyeon. Her thick eye-liner intimidated Taeyeon more for some reason.

Feeling uneasy, she spoke up, "Let's just cut to the chase- I don't like this any more than you do so may the best one win."

Taeyeon was surprised that Eunjung didn't reply and just stood up swiftly, bowing her head as she reached behind her for her weapon. She almost felt her jaw drop when the girl pulled out a katana in her hands. 

She knew how to use a freaking katana?!, Taeyeon gaped.

When she found her lost senses, she bowed back and steadied her attacking position with the 6-inch knife in her hold. Taeyeon took a deep breath to release the tension a little. After what it seemed like a few minutes, Eunjung stepped forward and drew her sword, swinging it in deadly precision at her. Taeyeon's instinct was good enough to dodge the attacks, although she came close to being cut a few times. Luckily, her knife was strong enough to block the hits during some critical moments.

Taeyeon turned around to face Eunjungs back and kicked her leg. The girl crouched down but had her blade up as she faced Taeyeon, still trying to bring damage with it. This time, it was easier to avoid injury since the girl was rooted down on the same spot. 

With one swift movement, Taeyeon kicked the hilt of the katana with her heels, making it fly helplessly across the area. Eunjung groaned and pulled out two smaller knives from the back of her belt and stood up.

She wasted no time for the assault and promptly sent fierce slices that nearly cut Taeyeon. It was about time when one of her knives skimmed against the other girl's side, making her wince.

Taeyeon started on her own attack and she cut a big gash on Eunjung's upper arm. When the girl put her hand up to rub on the sore spot, Taeyeon noticed something she should've before. 

This girl was not Ham Eunjung.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Everybody got up from their sitting positions abruptly as a lady walked into the room.

"Is it over already?" Nana questioned, "It's only been 50 minutes or so."

The lady looked really baffled and was supposedly tongue-tied until Jonghyun urged her to spill the news. Section 8A grew deadly still as they waited for the nerve-wrecking results. Even the two trainers casted nervous glances to one another in the hopes of Taeyeon's name being announced as the winner.

"Well-" the lady started, "This is the most unexpected scenario. And I believe this had never happened before in the history of KATB. I couldn't really explain the details first but I guess I could sum it up as the battle being canceled."

Almost everybody's breath hitched at the sudden news.

"W-what? But what about the winner?" Bora pointed out, biting her lips as she did. 

The woman sighed and replied, "There was simply none."

This time, the trainers took over the conversation. Lee Hyori looked outright furious while Taecyeon only displayed some sorts of agitation. "-And where is Taeyeon? I want to see her." Trainer Lee finished at the end of her rant.

Thinking that there were no better options, the lady nodded and turned around to lead them out. The confused group hurriedly followed her into the dim-lit passage and questions started to fill their minds.

If it wasn't for Jonghyun holding him back, Minho would've already demanded for answers out of the lady with force. "What did you think happened?" He growled. His friend only shrugged since he didn't know any answers. In the end, Jonghyun could only state the absolute obvious.

"The had probably hit the fan."

 

----------------------------------------