Questions and Answers

25 Years

Nana saw Myungsoo approaching her from afar and smiled at his waving hand. He wore a tuxedo, which made him look handsome if not for the dark circles under his eyes. It was plain obvious that he couldn't sleep last night, probably up all night playing video games to distract himself. She straightened her posture and walked into the building with Myungsoo following her from behind.

"I wonder how her mother's doing." he muttered to himself, not expecting a reply. Lim Jin Ah, who prefered to be called Nana by her friends, had known that Myungsoo was very close to Victoria's family. She was afraid that he might cry on the spot when he meets her mother in this unfortunate situation. To be completely honest, she herself had felt like crying most of the time but held it back. She had always kept her emotions to herself.

They walked into a dim-lit room that was filled with flowers to cover up the smell of corpses. In a corner, they could see people with red eyes and noses, holding tissues that were already wet. Myungsoo instantly went up to a woman in her mid-age. Asuming that she is Vic's mom, Nana turned away to give them some privacy.

A voice called out her name, "Yah- Nana yah! Did you just come?" It was Bora. She raised her arm, beckoning her to come to a table where she was sitting. Nana walked to her and stared at the shot-glass of soju in her hand. "Bora yah, did you drink? Dont scream in the funeral, please." The girl just looked at her blankly in the eye and smiled. "What difference does it make. Victoria eonni isn't here to scold me anyways," before finishing her sentence, she hiccuped and her head fell on the table with a loud thump.

She could see all of the people from her section; that included the trainers. They were standing near a wooden coffin and Nana could see Victoria's body laying peacefully in it. She was dressed in a chinese wedding dress and looked really pale, the sight of it made her want to cry.

"Oh, Nana you're here." Trainer Lee Hyori put her hands on her shoulders, a comforting gesture. She was dressed all in black, her red lipstick being the only colour in her appearance. "I'll be leaving you to say your goodbyes to her." And with that, she left with Trainer Ok Taecyeon next to her. 

Victoria still looked very beautiful. Her arms were stiff by her sides and she looked like she was sleeping, but she wasnt. Her left wrist had an ugly scar on it and the blood had dried to brown crusts. She remembered seeing Victoria's dead body for the first time; a knife in her left hand and her blood covering the floor around her. 

Wait, Nana thought. Something is off, something I didnt notice before. She thought about Victoria's corpse leaning on the bathroom wall for several times and felt that it is odd. Suddenly, she understood. It was right infront of her, it was always there.

She smacked her forehead in annoyance and hurried off to find Myungsoo. There was something wrong; something terribly wrong. 

-------------------------------------

Minho saw Taeyeon standing under a tree alone, away from the rest of the group. They were in the burial ceremony held in a cemetery behind   the building they were just in. The coffin was closed shut, conceiling the existence of Victoria. He advanced towards the girl and stopped infront of her. 

Taeyeon was fiddling with the black lace at the hem of her dress, she didnt even notice that Minho was there. He coughed to clear his throat and she looked up to him; her shocked, pale face oblivious. "Hey." Minho said.

"Hey yourself. It's really hot today, their auras were burning under the sun," she gestured towards the crowd of people next to the coffin. Minho smiled and wiped his forehead that was covered in sweat. "So is that why you went here? Being introverted and all?"

She nodded and leaned back to the tree. "Yes, partly the reason why. The stench of auras sickens me." He looked at her for a while and then put his hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright? You seem pretty messed up." His hands were cold despite of the warm weather and it sent chills under her spine. "Well that was comforting." She added a sarcastic tone.

"I'm serious. What's wrong?" He looked sincerely concerned. Taeyeon had always softened when she sees him looking like that, it was adorable. "I dont know for sure, but I thought I smelt my aura back in the institute. It didnt come from me though."

She saw Minho's jaw tighten and his eyes looked at her disbelievingly. "No way. Are you sure it wasnt you? You could've sweat without realising or- or you could smell coffee being brewed, I mean, it was in the cafeteria right??" She only shook her head slowly, indicating that she already confirmed that it was neither.

"Minho yah, there were some people from section 4H in the cafeteria, drenched in sweat from training." She touched her temples, feeling a headache coming. Minho's fingers cupped her cheeks and he looked at her in the eye "Are you sure- it was from 4H?" She nodded. 

He gradually pulled her into his arms, "Oh God, do you have any idea who it is?" All this time, when they were training, meeting their pair was always a surreal thought and now that it may actually happen, it felt devastating. He could never imagine killing someone who did no harm to you only to survive. Was living on this messed up world even worth it?

Taeyeon curled her arms around his back, clutching the cloth of his black suit. "I dont know for sure, but when 3 girls came near me, the smell became more intoxicating. Maybe I'm just imagining it." She felt him back away from her as he turned his head and sighed, "Let's hope you were."

------------------------------------------

Jonghyun was casually talking to Myungsoo when he saw Nana coming towards them, her dark hair flying wildly behind her as she ran. Myungsoo caught his gaze and turned his head towards her. "What's the rush?" Jonghyun asked.

"Myung-ah, I saw- I know what happened. It was there the entire time and we didn't see it. I cant believe we were so stupid- what the hell were we thingking?" The two boys raised their eyebrows at eachother. "Nana yah, calm down. You always ramble on without thinking." Jonghyun patted her back and said to her, "Tell us what happened slowly."

She looked at both of them with an alert expression and took their arms to drag them over to a corner surrounded by rose-bushes. Nana put her index-finger over her lips and looked around for a bit. After confirming that there were nobody else, she finally said. "Myungsoo, you were right. Victoria's death was not a suicide. It was a homicide." 

Jonghyun caught her hand and looked furiously at her. "What? how would you know? Dont say useless things." Myungsoo pushed Jonghyun's hands off her. "Dont you dare touch her like that, say sorry. Now."

Nana looked frustrated by all the ruckus. "Shut up! Both of you! Listen to me first, debate later." her tone was so commanding and terrifying that the two boys quickly closed their mouths. "At first, when she died, i felt like something was odd, like it was missing something. The feeling i get when there is an unsolved puzzle. And since Myungsoo said that he also thought it wasnt suicide, I got more and more suspicious."

"Why would somebody kill Victoria?" Jonghyun covered his forehead with his palm in agitation, "What proof do you have?"

She looked at him impatiently. "Let me finish will you? I was getting to that part." Nana pushed away some stray hairs from her face and continued, "When I think of the crime-scene over and over again, how she died, the position of her body, it really looked as if she was the one who killed her. But then I got into the details and realised that she was holding the knife in her left hand. Now Myungsoo, which wrist did she cut?"

His eyes went wide-opened. "The left." and with that, he crouched on the ground, sobbing. Jonghyun looked puzzled and asked, "What does that mean?" She gave him a glare. "Come on, you're not that stupid. If she was holding the knife in her left hand, would it make sense for her to cut her left wrist? Impossible."

"Whoever did it was a really clumsy person. Maybe they were in a hurry." Myungsoo muttered quietly. Jonghyun just stood there, staring at nothing. He was mentally punishing himself for not noticing earlier. "Yeah, but thank god they were. Otherwise, we wouldn't have known the truth." Nana said.

"And now- now what do we do?" Jonghyun asked. "How do we find the person who did it?"

She replied, "I don't know."

---------------------------------

A boy was standing on his hotel room's terrace, the view of KATB institute infront of him. It was a tall, dome shaped building made of glass and metal with four towers surrounding in each direction. He could see the gardens around the institute, it was mostly green and filled with sports fields. The Chinese institute was nothing like it. They have never made any fuss about their visual representation because it was 'a waste of resource'.

His phone began to ring loudly in his pocket. He picked it up when he saw the ID number and answered, "Yes father? I've come back to Korea- Yes, yes  I'm fine, although the aeroplane food . I think I'll have search for food after this." He paused for a while, letting his father talk. "Yes, I'm going to start living in the dorms tomorrow. Did you know that the KATB institute looks way better than the one in China?"

He sat on a chair and sipped his coffee as his father rant on about how the CATB (China's Assasination Training Board) was superior in every way possible. This was a common thing about his father, he was always very patriotic about his country. "Father, what will the korean people call me? Since they can't pronounce my chinese one. Wu Yi Fan is hard to pronounce in the korean tongue."

" -What? You already registered me in my english name? Well, that's good I guess. I'll call you later then, goodbye." He hung up and laid down on the white bed. Just as he was about to sleep, the hotel room bell rang.

He sat up lazilly and called, "What is it?" another voice from the door called out, "Room service!" 

As he opened the door, the man walked into his room, pushing a cart full of food. "Who is it from?" The man placed the cart in the middle of the room and said, "Mr Wu ordered this meal. It was supposed to be for his son. You are Mr.Wu Yi Fan, am i right?" He asked with some difficulty because of the name pronounciation. 

He looked at the man, clearly amused, and said, "Yes, yes I am. But you can call me Kris."

----------------------------------------

Author's note: Yay! Kris finally has an appearance. I've been thinking of how to introduce him in this scene but it turned out pretty well. The story is finally getting into some shape and the plot is slowly revealed. Wait for Kris' charming character later on! ^^