Hope

25 Years

An alarming tune shot through the quite space, the phone ringing like it was nobody's business.

Yuri immediately stood up from her bed to pick it up since Taeyeon was still changing her attire in the hotel bathroom. All of them had made it to the hotel with the last people being Myungsoo and Nana. The female detective found herself sharing a room with one of the initiates and it was probably for safety precautions; Amber was to room with Nana.

These kids did not know what they're throwing themselves into, and the agents were ordered to protect them from it. She wasn't sure how Trainer Ok Taecyeon had managed to convince their Chief Nichkhun into helping them.

Yuri wondered whether they had known each other before, considering the familiar yet awkward interaction they had a few days ago.

"Hello?" she said into the mic.

A familiar voice came through the speakers and she knew who it was instantly, "Detective Kwon, this is Donghae. I need you both to report to my and Kris' room in a few minutes. We're about to hold up a meeting, talk about the plan for a bit."

She frowned. "Kim Taeyeon is still changing her clothes. It'll take a while before we can go."

"Alright, just get here as quickly as possible. You hear me?" He ordered in a teasing tone.

The girl rolled her eyes, knowing all too well what he was attempting, "Stop trying to sound like Chief Nichkhun. You sound ridiculous enough."

A laugh emitted from the line, "Worth the try."

"Why do we need a meeting anyways?" she asked, "It's not like there's any new progress to discuss."

"Well... Zhang Yixing is here." Donghae said in an unsure tone, "He said he had some- news- he would like to share with us."

"And I believe you already know whatever it is he's revealing?" Yuri inspected.

Donghae nodded, but then realised that she couldn't see his actions and replied, "Yes. It has something to do with a cure, although I'm still not convinced he knows what he's talking about. The guy's a bit strange anyways."

"A cure?" she repeated, preventing herself from being too hopeful. A cure was as mythical as the sea monster, or Santa. Nobody has ever talked about a cure to this... condition before and to hear someone speak about it left her stunned.

The male detective sighed, also frustrated himself. "Just get your butts here."

"Hmm... . Such a cute word to use." she commented as she hung up.

As if on cue, Taeyeon stepped out of the bathroom. She now looks refreshed, wearing comfortable shorts and a graphic t-shirt with the words 'Today is a Good Day' in bold, printed black. Unconsciously, Yuri smiled at the sight.

Today is turning out to be a good day indeed.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

Kris nodded to Yixing as the Taeyeon and Detective Kwon walked into the room. "Hello. My name is Zhang Yixing. Pleasure to meet you." the Chinese boy said as he shook Taeyeon's hands. Detective Kwon Yuri translated his words into Korean for the girl.

"Now that we're all here. Shall we start?" he turned towards the others, eyes twinkling with anticipation.

Nana furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "But... aren't you called Lay?"

Amber had to translate her sentence into Mandarin since Kris was too busy laughing his off in his seat. Lay frowned and pinched the bridge of his nose before answering, "Sure. You could call me that. I guess it's easier to pronounce than Yixing."

"Pipe it, Ben-ben." He spat to Kris.

On the other hand, the blonde male was still stifling some of his laughter, "Alright Xing-xing."

"Good Lord." the latter groaned, "You ruined the whole mood."

While the two friends bicker, the other section members were left clueless as they listened to the alien language of Mandarin. Kris soon realised this and stopped his chatter. "So, the reason why we called a meeting was because Yixing wanted to ask you for help. It would only be right if he was the one explaining so he will go ahead and talk while I translate. Sound good?"

They all nodded and Lay stepped forward, Kris by his side.

"To cut this short, I will mention that there was a scientist who discovered the cure a few years ago," Some gasps were heard but Kris continued translating. "He was a man called Yin Chuanlei and was working in one of the Wu's branches in Guangzhou. Professor Yin did a 10 year research on the subject of auras and pairings before he finally found a breakthrough with an antidote."

"He thought people would be thrilled to hear the good news and proceeded to Beijing Headquarters to meet up with the president, Kris' father." The mentioned boy paused for a while but then carried on as if Lay hadn't said something about his father. "But when he reported the discovery, he realised that something was off within the way the President sounded so worried rather than relieved. So before Wu Jianheng could get his hands on him, he fled."

Lay paused to take a breather, "When Mr. Wu's men searched through his house and lab, they couldn't even find traces of his files. The guy just seemed to... Vanish."

After a couple of minutes, Myungsoo asked, "Then is this what you needed our help for?"

"More or less. I need some of you, along with the detectives of course, to find Professor Yin." Lay answered with Kris following in Korean.

"Where could we find him, though?" Nana asked, feeling intrigued, "I mean, you just said he disappeared. Poof." she added hand gestures for effect.

For this one, Kris was the one who answered. "Yes. He did. But Yin Chuanlei had been sending the police secret messages to where he might have been. Asking for help. He still wants to restore the world; that is, if my father doesn't find him first. He's somewhere within Changsha."

"I'll go."

All eyes rested on Myungsoo's figure. He sat up straighter on the hotel's couch and put on a serious expression. The boy wanted to get this all over with- he was already so sick of all the death and nuisance. The cure was the most important thing to them right now.

"Forgetting something?" Nana chimed from her spot, "You don't expect to go on this adventure without me, do you?"

Myungsoo smiled at her, "Of course not."

It might not have been the wisest choice to let her come along but knowing her nature, it would be impossible for him to convince her otherwise. So he complied. "Great. When do we move?"

They decided that the two would be off tomorrow. Lay, Trainer Lee Hyori and two other detectives, Amber and Yunho, would accompany them. Since Lay was from Changsha, he would guide them for the search.

"Say, Kris," Minho spoke, "When are we meeting your father? He doesn't know that we're here right?"

Kris shrugged, "I hope not. But we’ll most probably go within 2 or three days. We need to focus on the search first... and if we still don't find Yin until then, we'll continue with the plan."

"We don't have enough time, then." he warned.

The blonde haired boy scoffed, "Obviously."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

As the first crew went to Changsha for their mission, the rest of them stayed behind in the hotel and waited.

The process bored most of them but they solemnly enjoyed the peace. Kris figured they wouldn't have much more of it in a few more days. Taeyeon strolled around the hotel, exploring it out of sheer boredom.

She thought long and hard about the cure and was hoping sincerely for it to be found. It would change everything.

If they do manage to get Yin then the cure could be spread and that would mean the KATB wouldn’t be necessary anymore. Eunjung would have her freedom to visit her sister any time she wants.

And everything would be okay.

Would it?

Taeyeon stopped walking as she reached the outdoor area of the hotel. Her eyes roamed around to see where she had wandered off to.

Not far off in the distance, she saw Minho and Detective Kwon Yuri talking near the pool. The sight brought an uncomfortable feeling to her chest and she breathed in deeply to get rid of it.

She hated it when people eavesdrop, so she didn't bother coming near the two. Although, from afar, they looked quite serious in their conversation. That is, until Yuri went closer and her hands landed on Minho's chest. Taeyeon quickly turned around, not wishing to see the rest.

The girl found herself hiding behind a wall for some reason. When she glanced over at the couple, something stung the back of her eye.

Taeyeon bit down on her lips to suppress her emotions.

It was her fault after all, wasn't it?

So without any further ado, she spun around and stepped away into the hallway. Turning her wiring thoughts back to the cure.

Would everything go back to normal?

She guessed not.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Author's note: Why is the cast getting so big? Oh my God.

And why is everything so messed up.

idek.