Partnership

25 Years

 

Trainer Lee Hyori glanced at her co-worker. He had been acting so depressed ever since that meeting with the KATB Council and she'd never seen him look this perplexed before.

"Do you have something to tell me?" she tried asking. He only shook his head absently before letting out a dry sigh. For a few more moments, Taecyeon stayed quiet but then he suddenly spoke up, "Uh- yeah- I guess I do. A lot actually."

Hearing him admitting that made her at ease somehow, and she smiled. "Well? I'm all ears."

"They've abandoned us, Hyo-" the trainer covered his face with his palms, feeling like punching himself. "This stupid institute is supposed to help these kids right? It's why they came here in the first place; to be protected. But look at what happened-"

She couldn't believe her ears. "How could they?" her voice raising a few octaves, "What kind of sick joke are they playing?"

Instead of answering her, Taecyeon shrugged. He was beyond desperate.

"- Hey! are you even listening to me?" she snapped him back to life when he started spacing out. The man blinked for a couple of times before he asked, "Um, yes. I mean- no.."

Hyori clicked her tounge at him, "Well I don't know about you but I'm definitely going to do something about this."

"How?" he asked. The woman's eyes lingered on the wall for a while, "I guess I'll have to ask for help from a friend."

Before he could ask further into the topic, Hyori already marched out the door, leaving him alone.

 

--------------------------------------------

 

"Dad?" she called as soon as she entered the spacious office.

A man with a tall build but a skinny figure, looked at her in a mixed expression of surprise and curiousity. "My, my, my.. Let's see who decided to drop by after years of ignoring eachother." he said with pure sarcasm."

Hyori smiled, where'd you think she got that sassyness from? "It's the ungrateful daughter."

"Still with that smart mouth, I see.." her father chuckled, "So- how is your teaching job?"

She gritted her teeth in annoyance but replied anyways, "Fine." she sighed, "And I've told you a million times.. It's nothing like teaching."

"Whatever you say, dear."

They looked at eachother, finding small differences from the other that had occured over these past few years. The father and daughter had cut off ties ever since Hyori insisted on wanting to be a Trainer at KATB. She might be born in one of the richest families in South Korea, but ever since she was young, combat and self-defense had been her greatest passion. She couldn't give that up by sitting behind an office desk with the title of the CEO- she wouldn't.

"Anyways," she broke off the quietness in the room, "I need your help."

He had an intrigued glint in his aging eyes when he looked at her and smirked, "Anything, for this stupid daughter of mine."

Laughing bitterly at his smart-aleck remark, she continued, "The KATB are dismissing my section, Section 8A. I.. beg of you, father. Help us."

"Is it due to the 2 recent murders that happened?" He questioned, leaning back aloofly in his cushioned chair. "If so- I don't think I'll be able to do much good, sweetheart."

Her eyes widened at the statement, "But- dad! What do you mean? You're like.. one of the most impactful people in this country!"

The father held up a hand, shushing her. "I'm touched- really- that you think of me like that." he said sardonically. "But as I said. I simply cannot."

"Why not?!" she was starting to raise her voice, feeling way beyond frustrated. Her father only shook his head and kept silent. This just angered her even more. "Dad- I am begging you-" she fell down to her knees, "Those kids need protection now more than ever- I- I can't just do nothing! Ofcourse they'll have me and Taecyeon, but it's just down to us two now, and we wouldn't know what to do if something happens to them," she pleaded, "Please-"

He stood up, dusted his tailored suit and took a few steps towards her. "You don't understand- It's not as simple as that." he took his spectacles of and wiped them with his handkerchief as he spoke, "I have- bussiness ties that I can't afford to ruin. If I help you, everything would break as easy as your mother's china-set."

A tear-drop rolled down her cheek, "No, you don't understand." she paused, "These kids aren't just my students- or whatever you may call them. They're my friends, my family. I've lost two of them already..." her lips quivered, thinking about Victoria or Taemin had always brought her sadness, "I don't know how, but I want to protect them with everything I've got."

The old man smirked when he saw her face, "Everything you've got, eh?" he snorted, "You've got your mother's fiery determination. Mixed with my bluntness- it's a dangerous thing."

"What are you talking about?" she asked, annoyed.

He replied, "I'm just saying that playing this game will hurt you too. It'll hurt all of us." At that, she frowned. What could he possibly mean?

"Did you really think your pairing just died in a car accident?"

Her eyes widened and her lips, parted in shock. "Don't tell me..."

"Oh yes, sugar. That's just how much your daddy loves you." He gave her a triumphant smile, "I was actually the first one who did it, starting the trend. The others soon followed."

After dealing with the shock, Hyori finally found her voice, "D-did you.. possibly.. help Wu Yi Fan's father?"

He snapped his fingers and grinned, "Bingo." her dad laughed, "You do take your smartness after me, huh?"

"Why would you?!" she spat, feeling disgusted.

The man's jolly attitude changed completely after her outburst, turning into a cold, heartless stare. "Why wouldn't I? It's definitely beneficial for both of our bussiness' sake- and it'll break off that darned section of yours." he smirked, "And that way- you'll crawl slowly back to papa."

She almost choked at the realisation. Her father had always been one of the smartest men she'd ever known but she had forgotten that he was also one of the very slyest. Feeling more tears forming, she swallowed down her hatred. "Eat , old man."

"Language, Hyori." he warned, mildly annoyed.

Hyori stood up and shot him a glare as she turned around to head to the door. Mr. Lee smiled calmly when he saw her opening the big, heavy doors of his office only to find two big men blocking her. Each of them grabbed her arm and forcefully led her back inside the room. "Where do we take her, sir?"

The president answered, "Just take her to my house and lock her up in her room. Make sure she doesn't get out."

"GET YOUR ING HANDS OFF ME!" Hyori screamed defiantly.

Mr. Lee faced his two men, "Oh, sorry for her language- " he then turned to his histeric daughter, "Just give up dear. I already won."

She looked at him with horror and continued screaming and squirming out of the men's holds. A hand was freed and immediately, she took a nearby vase before smashing it on one of the men's heads, making him lose consciousness as red liquid oozed out the side of his head. The other one tackled her and glanced at his boss, silently asking whether he could injure the woman. "Sure," Mr. Lee answered, "Just not the face. I'd like to keep it pretty."

He then punched her in the stomach, but she only winced and threw her knee up, letting it meet with the man's private organs. He immediately doubled-up in pain and squatted on the floor, breathing heavily. Hyori then kicked his head hard with her stilletos, knocking him out too. Just in case he was still up, she kicked him again in the stomach, checking for any reaction. There was none.

Her father watched in alarm as his daughter made two of his men fall unconsciously on the floor. He felt himself shake in disbelieve and fell back into his chair, his legs feeling like jelly.

Hyori glanced back tauntingly at her dad and for the first time, she smirked. The girl picked up her shoes that were lying on the floor and swiftly wore it before strutting out to the door.

As she left, she looked at the old man sitting weakly in his chair and said, "It wasn't my passion for nothing, dad,"

 

------------------------------------------

 

Kris strolled into the Trainer's Lounge to find any one of his Trainers.

He needed to talk to them about the plan. The boy needed their help badly because he knew that he wouldn't be able to handle it by himself. From a distance, he could see Trainer Ok sitting in his station as he drank a tall cup of dark coloured drink- probably coffee.

Looking tired was an understatement- the guy looked seriously beat and Kris began to doubt whether it was the right time to discuss the issue with him. The feeling of urgency took over him and he just straight up went infront of the Trainer, calling out his name.

"Yes?" Trainer Ok looked up to find one of his initiates standing there, "Oh- Kris. Is something the matter?" he paused and laughed to himself before continuing, "Oh forget it- something's always the matter. Just tell me what it is this time."

The chinese boy nodded politely, "I need your help."

"For what?" the man asked.

The boy took a long breath before explaining, knowing that he'll need at least that much of oxygen intake for it, "For my father. Of course you know that he's very much responsible for this situation.. and I have a way to stop him. I'll need both of you and Trainer Lee to help me with my plan. Minho, Taeyeon and Nana already agreed on it, and they decided to help out. I'm trying to involve less people in it because it would be- much more of a risk if they joined." He halted his speech, "I'll need your help because I want to involve the authorities in this."

Ok Taecyeon blinked, still processing the new information, ".. You want to ask for back-up.. from the police?" he scoffed, "Kris- What in the hell are you planning to do?"

"Talk." The boy summarized.

He couldn't believe his ears. What good would there be in trying to talk to his father? It's not like the kid can persuade him into admitting his crimes.

Just like he could read his Trainer's thoughts, Kris spoke, "I can persuade him into owning up. I know a way."

"What way?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at him.

The boy half-smiled and answered, "I'm working on it." He paused, "Do you happen to know someone from the police that could help us?"

"Even if I do; why would I consider helping you? It'll just put you and your friends in danger. I'm not taking the risk."

"It's our only way out of this mess." he quietly pointed out, "If we don't try to stop him, he will continue his wretched ways and it would be too late to do anything by then."

At that moment, the doors flung open and in came Trainer Lee Hyori, looking like an absolute mess. Her hair was ruined, her clothes were rumpled up and they could see some bloodstains on the cloth. She was running to them in her high heels and as she did, Kris could see bruises forming on her arms and near her shoulders.

"A grand entrance- so typical of you." Trainer Ok said sarcastically.

The woman immediately fell onto the couch beside him and closed her eyes as she gasped for air. Kris threw Taecyeon a confused look, and the latter merely shrugged. After being with Lee Hyori for a long time, this was not a surprise to him anymore. There's always something up with that woman.

"What happened, Trainer Lee?" the lad questioned, making Hyori open her eyes.

Out of nowhere, she started sobbing and quivering until Trainer Ok, hugged her and tried calming her down, glaring at Kris for making her cry. The boy only sighed in frustration and wondered what he had said wrong. After a few minutes, the woman regained her senses and started telling them everything, you could say that she had word-vomitted.

Kris whistled, "So- both of our fathers are in on this? Like together?"

She nodded and gritted her teeth, "I suppose so."

"God, what a world, eh?" he laughed darkly, "Do you also think that they should be stopped? Or are you too much of a coward like him to not try?"

Feeling annoyed, Trainer Ok crossed his arms infront of his chest, "I was going to agree- but if you keep on insulting me like this, you're on your own, got it?"

Trainer Lee only furrowed her eyebrows, "Wait, what? How are we going to stop them?"

Kris sighed, knowing that he had to go through all the trouble of explaining his plan for the second time. He looked at his other Trainer and eye-signalled him for help.

The older man only smiled micheviously and put his hands up in the air, "I'm not explaining, it's your grand plan, remember?"

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Author's Note: Double update! Forgive meh.