Confrontation

25 Years

"Goo Hara?" Nana almost yelled out. She covered afterwards as she apologized, "How did she end up in Eunjung's place?"

Taeyeon gulped in generous amounts of water before answering, "I have no idea. But I found out it wasn't her anyways."

"How?" Myungsoo asked.

The girl leaned back into the white infirmary bed, "When she attacked me last time, did you remember me jabbing the back of her hand with a fork? Yeah- and when I looked at her hand in the battlegrounds, there weren't any marks or scars imprinted on it when I clearly made it like that before. Unless she did plastic surgery- which was highly impossible in the short amount of time- there would be no reason for the wound to suddenly vanish into thin air."

"How could not even one person notice that it wasn't Eunjung?" Minho frowned to himself, feeling very frustrated yet confused.

Taeyeon sighed, "She was wearing a cap, even though she cut her hair to match Eunjung's length. And the mask was to cover most of her face- although the lady said they let her wear it because she said a wound was still healing near her cheek which were caused by her last fight. And I suppose the thickness of her eyeliner was to give the illusion that it was her friend, and maybe to conceal the differences between their eyes. Nobody bothered to check who she was since no one in their right minds would voluntarily join a battle if it wasn't theirs."

"They should know that none of us actually know the meaning of sanity." Jonghyun commented sourly. Kris ignored him and asked his own doubts, "So where exactly is Ham Eunjung?"

"She was admitted to a hospital." Trainer Ok announced as he and his co-worker strode into the infirmary room. "Yesterday she visited her little sister, Ham Eunhee, who had leukemia. As soon as the visit ended, she went to the bathroom and tried to commit suicide by cutting her wrist. Luckily, her two friends sensed something was up and barged into the toilet before she loses more blood. They were inside a hospital- so the first aid was given quick."

Taeyeon's eyes widened, "Is she okay?"

"Critical, but she'll survive." Trainer Lee concluded. Myungsoo's silent grumbles were heard throughout the room since it was so quiet.

Minho stepped beside Taeyeon, examining her condition. "What about you? Are you alright?"

"Just a few scratches here and there, otherwise I'm functioning." she said lightly, smiling at him. Seeing Taeyeon looking so deep in her thoughts worried Minho that she'll do something completely irrational- knowing her, the girl was wreckless enough. She only confirmed his speculations with her next sentence, "I want to meet Eunjung. Take me to her."

He scoffed, astonished, "Are you crazy? Why would you?!"

The rest of her friends nodded their heads, deeming her as a lost cause. This only infuriated Taeyeon, "Why wouldn't I? She almost killed herself!"

"She tried to kill you too!" Minho shouted. At his outburst, Jonghyun quietly signalled everyone out of the room to give the two some privacy. His friend rarely goes into a rage, but when he does, you wouldn't want to know. "She's a killer, Kim Taeyeon. Even her friends are mad- to think about replacing her in a battle! No, I am not letting you see her. Not when you just came out of battle."

Taeyeon rolled her eyes at him, he was being totally unreasonable. "Ham Eunjung is also human, and in her defense, she wasn't the one who asked friend to cover for her. Hara did it in her own free will. She couldn't have asked- The girl was too busy dying!"

"I do not care whether she begged Hara to kill you in battle. I still can not trust her- and I never will. We never know what that girl might be scheming. I mean- look at what she had done to you!" He bickered.

"Minho- I don't think she'll have the energy to come up with a war plan for me when she nearly died a few hours ago. Even Trainer Lee mentioned that she was in a critical state." Taeyeon sighed.

Despite her attempts, he stood firm on his ground, not giving her any signs or agreement. "You'd be mental if you think I'd actually bring you to her. Forget it."

The next thing she knew, Minho stormed out of the room. Taeyeon exhaled an irritated breath before slumping back into the bed, massaging her temples to calm her nerves down. If she was considered as stubborn, then Minho would be impossible.

"Hul-lo," Jonghyun said awkwardly as he peeped behind the door. She squinted her eyes, judging him for his disgraceful act of eavesdropping her conversation earlier. "So, how'd you come up with the deranged idea of confronting Eunjung?"

She frowned at his statement, "It's not deranged; nor is it appropriate to listen into other people's conversations."

"I tried- and failed. It's just interesting to see Minho so worked up." Jonghyun said airily, walking closer to her bed as he dragged a chair for him to sit on. "And your point is?" She impatiently asked.

There was a pregnant pause before Jonghyun answered her, "Why do you want to visit her?"

"I don't know-" Taeyeon cried out, "I just need to. I want to know why she tried commit suicide, since she also used the same method as Victoria eonni. There's always a reason for everything. She's only a 21 year old girl- this is just not right."

At the sound of Victoria's name, Jonghyun froze. He remembered the blood, the tears, and the tormenting pain as he did. He'd be lying if he said that the memory didn't give him nightmares. There was a time when he didn't sleep at all for weeks. It got so bad that Trainer Ok scheduled him for trauma therapy. It worked, and the number of nights of him screaming in his sleep decreased- Kris had been an unfortunate witness of this since he was his roomate. 

Even though therapy made it better- there are things that are just impossible to fix, wounds that could never heal completely.

Her death was one of those things.

"Victoria did not commit suicide." his voice sounded cold, resulting shudders forming at the back of Taeyeon's neck. 

"I know." she whispered, suddenly feeling guilty for bringing up her Vic eonni into this. "It's just because it's similar.."

Cursing his own self, Jonghyun stood up from his seat. "Dress up, Kim Taeyeon. I'll take you to the dying psychopath."

"Are you for real?" Taeyeon questioned.

He nodded and pulled out the car keys from his pockets, "Tell Minho and consider yourself dead."

 

-------------------------------------

 

The blonde boy stared at his phone as it rings, his thumb hovering over the answer button. For some reason he refused to accept the call. He just wished to abandon and forget the whole ordeal, but as much as he wanted to, he felt the urge to finish it- It was what he had started after all.

"Yes, Yixing?" he talked into the device.

The person on the other side sighed as if he had waited an eternity for him to pick up. "Ge, I've got stuff prepared for you already. Exactly like you asked."

"Did you talk to the police already?" Kris asked his friend, checking if everything was going according to the plan. The other boy laughed calmly as he answered, "Several times- they're as annoying as you are in my opinion."

He smiled at the weak insult Lay gave him, "Thanks, Xing-xing. And I'm sorry for being a bother."

"Call me that one more time and don't expect anything from me ever again, Wu Yifan," he threatened. Kris only laughed aloud at him, he could just sense Lay's frown across the phone call. 

"What?" Kris feigned innocence, "Your grandma also addresses you with that nickname- so why can't I?"

Lay swore in Mandarin at him, "Because you're not my grandma, Ben-ben."

"Ben-ben? Did you just call me stupid?!" he exploded, "You do realise that I would have to kill you now."

Lay made horribly fake crying noises through the line, "Please spare me Wufan ge, I'm still young. Not to mention I am still a !"

Rolling his eyes, Kris wondered how he became friends with such an idiot. 

A idiot.

Feeling like he'd lose his mind if he continued the conversation, he summed it up to one last sentence, "Whatever Lay. I'll see you next week, and I'll inform you if anything new happens. Seriously, thank you again. You've been a real help bro."

"Anything for you, ge," the younger replied.

Yifan clicked the call to its end.

 

------------------------------------

 

As they got to the door of the hospital room, Jonghyun halted. 

"She's all yours," he shrugged at the door's direction. Taeyeon nodded and gave him a quick hug of thanks before he left to wait in one of the hallways.

The nurse said that Eunjung was in no condition to sit up, but had enough energy to listen and respond to a conversation. The girl hadn't completely recovered from the loss of blood. She couldn't believe Minho wouldn't let her meet a girl who could barely talk, even more, attack her. 

Taeyeon knocked on the narrow door three times before she entered. The first thing she noticed when she came in was the lifeless girl lying in the white bed before her. Eunjung's hand was infused and she was as pale as powder. Her eyes were closed and she breathed steadily, her chest rhythmically rising and dropping with every oxygen intake.

She stood at the bed-side and studied the sleeping girl. Her face was nothing near peaceful- as if she had pins painfully pricking her sides. Honestly, Taeyeon could never imagine Eunjung to look this fragile. All this time, the girl had only shown her tough side, not letting her weaknesses revealed.

Probably that was the thing they had incommon.

Taeyeon also kept her true feelings herself, but she did it to not bring burden onto people, whereas Eunjung did it to not seem vulnerable.

"Eun.. Hee.." 

Surprised, Taeyeon blinked at the words coming out of Eunjung. The girl had her eyelids half-opened and was looking hazily at her. Who is Eunhee?

"Where- is she?" Eunjung's voice was hoarse and dry.

She shook her head and replied, "She's not here. I am."

As if she was awakening from a dream, the sick girl widened her eyes, "Kim Taeyeon? Why are you-"

"I heard you tried to.. cut yourself," she answered carefully.

Eunjung's indifferent facade appeared and she stared at her coldly, "And it matters to you because?"

"Because we were supposed to have our battle today. And since you were in no condition for it, your friend took your place against me." Taeyeon said, observing any changes in the other's face. At first, she stiffened, then a trace of a frown was seen, "What do you mean?" Eunjung demanded.

She inhaled deeply, "Hara replaced you in the battle, and it was canceled since she was discovered."

The room was silent as Eunjung took her time in processing her current situation. 

"That idiot," her voice cracked. A second later, a few tears fell from her eyes. Taeyeon was baffled since she never saw the girl with any sort of emotion, and suddenly here she was, crying her heart out.

She let Eunjung calm down for a few minutes before asking her question, "Why did you do it?"

"Because everything is worthless," the girl said quietly, "We were born to die anyways. Why bother living?"

Taeyeon's eyebrows furrowed, "Why is it pointless when you have your friends and family? You know, you could've won that battle if you wanted to."

"Don't you see?!" she exclaimed, "I don't want to live! I have no one!"

"What about Eunhee?" Taeyeon inspected.

Eunjung's breathing hitched as she stared at the other girl in horror, "What do you know?"

Out of the blue, Eunjung started shaking uncontrollably as she sobbed. Taeyeon grew worried, did she say something wrong? And who is this Eunhee? A family member perhaps?

"They said... she only had... a few weeks... left." The crying girl muttered. "Eunhee... is leaving..."

"-I want to leave with her too! Why wouldn't all of you just let me?!" she hysterically screamed, frightening Taeyeon to the end of her wits. "Please... just let me die. I need to die..." she whispered as she ran out of breath. 

"Nurse!" Taeyeon screamed at the top of her lungs, "I need a nurse! Help!" 

Eunjung was trying to step down from the bed, while she was preventing it from happening. The girl retaliated with all her might, leaving scratches on Taeyeon's arms with her nails and such.

Jonghyun came in urgently, scanning the situation rapidly as he approached the two girls. 

"Go get the nurse! I'll make sure she stays here!" He ordered as he gripped both of Eunjung's wrists, containing the girl in his hold. Taeyeon nodded and dashed outside for help. 

A few nurses and a doctor came afterwards, injecting drugs into the agitated patient to calm her down. In the mean while, the two speechless visitors could only watch from a corner of the room. 

"We better leave." Jonghyun suggested. She slightly nodded and let him lead her out of the place. As they passed the receptionist, Taeyeon stopped in her tracks, yanking her friend with her.

"Is there a patient under the name- uh- Ham Eunhee?" She examined. The nurse quirked up her eyebrows, "Funny, the last person who asked me that question ended up cutting her wrist open. You a friend?"

Feeling irritated, Taeyeon glared at the lady. "I suppose so. Just tell me the room number please."

"Whatever," the nurse quipped, "I ain't paid enough for this anyways."

As soon as she was handed a paper with the numbers written on it, she bowed a farewell and dragged Jonghyun away to find their destination. "Where are we going?" he whined, not feeling like going anywhere else. He had dealt with enough nonsense today.

"We're meeting Ham Eunhee, whoever she is."

 

-------------------------------------

 

A/N: Speaking of Jonghyun... 

Have ya'll heard of déjà boo by jonghyun written by jonghyun composed by jonghyun featuring rap god jonghyun for the jonghyun album produced and composed by jonghyun?

:)