Injustice

25 Years

"Have you completely lost it?" Jiyeon screamed at her friend.

Eunjung sighed as she pulled the white blanket over her head with her uninjured hand, blocking out the furious girl from her line of vision. Soon enough, the blanket was yanked from her roughly by her friend. She stared a dagger back at her and attempted to make a grab for the warm fabric once more but this time, Hara had caught it easily away from her reach. She groaned in frustration.

While Jiyeon was busy being mad with herself, her other friend came near her and asked about her condition. "It's better now." she replied.

"What were you thinking you crazy !" Her angry friend exploded, "Your actions only brought trouble!"

She scoffed lightly, "Don't worry, Jiyeon. It only brought me trouble, not you. So you don't have to panic."

"That's exactly why I am concerned you idiot!" The girl shouted, placing her hand on top of Eunjung's right shoulder. She yanked her so their eyes could meet and at that moment, Eunjung had caught her friend's glassy eyes and the pained expression on her face, although it dissapeared like magic the second after. "I am your friend, Ham Eunjung. I'm scared for you because as far as I know; you're nothing like the insane girl who ambushed Kim Taeyeon into a near-death experience. If you were- and I am saying if- you were planning to kill her, you'd probably challenge her in the correct manner. You have self-respect, you have your dignity, but this- this was nothing similar to all of that.." Jiyeon paused, taking a shaky breath.

"I know you." she finished, backing away a few steps.

In reply, Eunjung only sat there, dazed as she blinked away the droplets of moisture on her skin, hoping it would evaporate into thin air somehow. "I- I have my reasons." she spoke, looking down at her hands that were now shivering slightly.

Jiyeon laughed darkly, "What reason- could possibly make you do all of that?"

For the first time after staying completely silent, Hara joined in the conversation, "I shouldn't have told you about that Taeyeon girl. But I didn't know you were actually planning to execute her in secret; I was thinking that you wanted to challenge her in a battle or something. Gosh, I should've known." She groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose.

The girl could feel the droplets of water trickling down her cheek before falling on her palms in ugly, fat, blobs of liquid. Feeling disturbed, she wiped her hands on the sheets of the infirmary bed. "I have my ing reasons." she breathed out.

"Then spill! Entertain us- What is your excuse?!" Jiyeon said sharply, feeling very conflicted. In one hand, she hated seeing her bestfriend crying infront of her, however, that same person also committed a very sinful thing. And as a good friend- she knew she should never justify Eunjung's actions but to tell her off instead, so that she would know she had done wrong.

As a moment of silence passed on, the tension built up, making both Jiyeon and Hara throw unnerving glances at eachother. They saw Eunjung lift up her head a bit, her short dark curls covering some of her face. But it was not long enough to cover the sad smile she had on her face. Growing more and more uneasy, Hara stepped forward to the bed but was held back quickly by her friend, who shook her head and gave her a meaningful look as she tilted her head towards the crying girl. In the midst of the silent communication they were having, Eunjung said the most unexpected thing they had ever heard.

"Eunhee is dying, guys."

They looked at her in utter shock and disbelief before finding their lost voices again. "Eun.. Hee?" Hara croaked, still unable to comprehend the news.

"H-how?" Jiyeon gasped weakly, "She's not even 10 yet.."

Eunjung nodded slowly, feeling her head pounding as if a brick was smashing right through it. "Exactly." she heaved a long sigh, "That's why I want to get out of here as soon as possible. It's been months since the doctors claimed that it was Leukemia; and a rare one at that-"

She brought up her knees and hugged them tightly, slowly rocking back and forth like a broken child, "I-Im her only family and she has no one to care for her- !" Eunjung started sobbing in ragged breaths with her head buried into her curled up legs. "She's barely living now- all she could do was sleep and walk around her hospital room." She glanced at her friends briefly, "Is that what you call a happy childhood?! Being cooped up in some place that's not your home with no family to support you when you are facing death- at the age when you're supposed to play with dolls or- or have your dad teach you how to ride a bike!"

Jiyeon felt her heart ache as she thought of Eunjung's little sister. The two unfortunate girls were left by their parents in an orphanage when the older one was only 11 years old and the other was still a tiny infant; not more that a few months. Eunjung's parents told her that they had to meet a friend for a bit and that they would have to make her stay here meanwhile. They had promised her to pick her up after they were done but after days of waiting and waiting, the girl finally realised that her mother and father had abandoned her and her sister in this weird place filled with other children and old ladies with stern and cold eyes.

She should've realized sooner that the friend her parents were visiting was none other than the one planning to visit her little sister now.

It was death.

Both of her parents died in a plane crash around 3 days after they had gone- they were about to leave the country. Eunjung had figured this out later on in life and stopped searching for other informations about the accident because it simply hurt too much.

Ever since they were little, the two sisters had relied to eachother immensely and it was difficult for Eunjung when one day, a letter came. It was the letter she had feared the most, but she knew it was inevitable.

It was a notice from the government for her entrance in KATB. She had been delaying the orders with her sister as an excuse, she pleaded the officials to let her take care of her sister until she was atleast 6 before she could enroll in the Institute. Fortunately, they had let her.

When Eunjung was finally 17 and Eunhee, 6, she finally left her sibling in the care of the horrible orphanage. Sometimes, Eunhee would make quick little visits to her sister and both Jiyeon and Hara had grown attached to the endearing child. It wasn't until now that Jiyeon had realised that Eunhee never came over to the institute again; and now she knew why.

Hara advanced to her sobbing friend and hugged her closely as she herself let out agonizing tears, feeling the sorrow of it all. Jiyeon slowly wrapped her arms around two of her only friends.

"Oh- Eunjung- you imbecile!" Hara cried, "Why did you do it then? Why did you irrationally just went up and tried to murder her on spot? How could you be so wreckless you -" she paused, looking sincerely hurt, "- Why didn't you tell us?"

In between her soft sobs, the said girl replied, "I don't know! I just sort of blanked out.. If I could meet Kim Taeyeon again I swear I would apologize to her but- I don't know what came over me..." her voice cracked, "I didn't want to tell you guys because it already hurts to just think about it. I don't want to believe in the reality myself; why would I want to tell people something I can't even accept?"

Jiyeon rubbed her wet cheeks with the back of her hand, "How's- How is Eunhee?"

With a few shakes from her head, Eunjung had answered the obvious. Her little sister's condition was anything but better. She suddenly felt warmth in her hands and looked up to see Hara smiling down an angelic smile at her. She turned to look at Jiyeon who was giving her an encouraging look while she patted her back in a soothing motion.

"Let's give Eunhee a little visit after you're better, eh? How does that sound?" Hara cooed. She looked at the girl with wide eyes, slowly briming with tears, and nodded eagerly.

"Sounds wonderful." she half-smiled.

 

------------------------------------

 

Ok Taecyeon had always thought that he was a sound-minded man, but there was always one thing that irked him the most. It was discrimination.

Not only was it injustice, it was also another way of abusing people. Not necessarily physical, though. He had his own fair share of discrimination throughout his life. Growing up as a skinny wimp with braces and a disgusting amount of acne, let's just say that his peers did not treat him very respectfully.

He was shoved into lockers, became a punching bag for some older kids and once every week, he would receive the classic swirly- his head being forced to dunk into the toilet bowl as he tried his best not to cry. He hated himself.

But ever since a transfer student called Nichkhun came from Thailand, he had been the only true friend Taecyeon had. The kind boy accepted him and would tell him to defend himself from those bullies. Nichkhun didn't just change him- he changed his life. For the better, of course.

Boy, did he miss that guy. Taecyeon thought sadly of the horrible tragedy that occured a great lot of years back- when Nichkhun's sister committed suicide in his place. Ofcourse they had been with eachother for some time but everytime one of their auras would get out, both of them would just think that it was themselves who were sweating. It was after a while that they began to realise of their harsh reality. He and Nichkhun had'nt been in contact since.

Now, standing in the Headboard's office, Taecyeon could sense just that- discrimination.

"What do you mean by 'taking your hands off us'?" he asked the aging men and women infront of him bitterly.

One of them, an old chap with grey hair- almost bald- and lips as thin as paper, responded calmly, "We mean it just like that." he coughed, clearing his throat, "Your section- Section 8A- hasn't been the most coorperative one.. If I should say."

A woman with disturbingly bright red lipstick nodded, "We could understand the first case with miss Song Qian. We even replaced her with mr Wu Yi Fan, thinking that it wouldn't happen again. But as we all saw what happened to Lee Taemin- we know we were wrong. Oh and let's not forget the recent issue involving Kim Taeyeon and Ham Eunjung."

The Trainer almost shouted in revolt, "But it wasn't even their faults! It's not like they planned to die- and for your sick information- Taeyeon was attacked by Ham Eunjung. Why aren't you dealing with her section?"

"Oh, we will." the earlier man said, "Just seperately. You shouldn't be too concerned."

"Section 8A is getting too troublesome," another woman spoke, her shrill voice hurting Taecyeon's ears. "As far as I'm concerned, we wouldn't be putting anymore individuals to replace the dead boy. We can't afford to yet- lose another life."

Taecyeon gritted his teeth, "No."

"I'm sorry- what?" the woman eyed him with a piercing glare. He smiled calmly, "You can't afford to lose your reputation. For all I know, you all don't give two s about those kids dying, you're all just worried for this institute's crumbling name."

"Of course we don't. Why would we?" a tall man muttered coldly, "Half of them would end up dying somehow."

He scanned all them with his eyes, appalled. "How could you say such things?"

"Because it's a fact." a woman intervened, sounding monotonous. "Let's not drag this on- shall we?" she threw a bored look at the man sitting in the middle of the council table.

The man nodded firmly and sat straighter in his chair. Taecyeon stared at the Head of the Council and felt utterly disgusted. Not noticing the deadly glare from the Trainer, the man continued, "Alright- let's get this straight. We- the Korean Assasination Training Board would not be putting any other initiates under Section 8A which is now included in our blacklist."

Taecyeon unknowingly clenched his jaw as the old man continued, "We will still provide you with the rooms and basic, necessary needs but we will not be held responsible for your security and for any conflict happening involving your section. If the police will be involved later on- in which I am sure they will- we will not be the ones handling the situation. You all will."

The Head Council rested his elbows on the dark, mahogany table as he crossed his arms, casually peering at the distressed man infront of him. He shook his head and gave him a smile so fake, Taecyeon felt his insides churning with acid. "In other words-" the man continued.

"-You're on your own."

 

--------------------------------------

 

"Alright! Is everybody present?" Minho shouted from the front of the section room.

They all nodded their heads except for Jonghyun. He was too busy giving Kris murderous stares to care. However, the chinese boy ignored him professionally. Seeing this, Minho shook his head and sighed.

Taeyeon stepped forward next to him and linked their hands together, giving him a small wink before she started facing the crowd of section 8A's members infront of her. "I know you might think that YiFan is responsible-" Kris flinched at the use of his real name but held in a smile afterwards.

"- But we're all missing the point here. It was never his fault. It had always been his father." The girl justified, "I'm saying this because I know Kris had never had a thing called 'choice' in his life. He was born into a life that was already moulded perfectly by his family- even though they went through some dirty things to pave that way for him." Taeyeon glanced at Kris sadly.

"When he found out about his father's wrong-doings, he was already planning to tell us-"

Jonghyun cut her off with a snicker, "Then why didn't he?"

She opened , ready to fire out hurtful replies to the boy when she felt Minho softly squeezing her hand in warning. Taeyeon stopped to glance at him and he shook his head at her with a smile, telling her to calm down.

"Jonghyun, let her finish, man." Minho spoke out for her. She looked at him gratefully and focused back to the members. "At first- he was hesitant. After all, it is his father who we're talking about. But then when he finally decided to inform us, turns out that his father had been keeping some men to watch him and that was how he pulled out a quick response. He killed Taemin to warn his own son- or rather- threaten him, because he knew that Kris would try to stop him."

All eyes were no on her, but a second later, they shifted to Kris. The blonde haired male sat silently in his seat, not meeting their gazes. Taeyeon snapped their attention back to her and continued. "It is tragic for our friends who had become the victims but please, let's not blame an innocent person like this. Kris is not guilty and he never was- but after what we all had accused him of- he's starting to believe that he's the culprit too."

"We're making some innocent guy hate himself by slandering him of something he didn't do." Taeyeon pointed at the said boy.

Nobody said a word of agreement and Kris took it as a sign for him to leave. He smiled wistfully at her and stood up from his chair. Just then he felt his shirt tug softly and turned around to see Bora pinching the fabric of between her index and thumb, not looking at him. They stood there, speechless,

"I- it wasn't your fault." she whispered, the girl tried to be strong but it sounded more like she was convincing herself. A moment after, though, she glanced up and met his eyes, taking him by surprise. "I believe you, oppa."

Minho smiled as he circled his right arm around Taeyeon and she sighed happily, relieved that this went better than she expected. She stood on her tippy toes and pecked a quick kiss on his cheek. His smile grew wider.

Jonghyun walked up to Kris and frowned, "I still don't like you."

In reply, the chinese boy scoffed, "I know."

For a second, the edge of his lips tugged upwards, but only for that one second. "You're still not allowed to touch my manga books, by the way." Kris looked at him sadly, "Not even vol. 3?"

"Especially not volume 3." he flicked a finger at his forehead, "Have a y life. Bye."

"Ah- jerk." Yifan grinned, "but atleast he's talking to me."

Suddenly, Nana and Myungsoo was already infont of him. "Heya." the girl said. Myungsoo put a hand on his shoulder, "No hard feelings man. I don't have a grudge against you."

"But I do!" Nana fumed, "You didn't tell me before- and I've asked you what the matter was a billion times! You never answered me though." she ranted. Kris hung his head apologetically at her and said, "I know- I was dumb. But I thought that you would hate me if I told you. I mean.. Song Qian was your friend, right?"

"You mean Victoria?" she asked.

He nodded, "Yeah. I just said her chinese name 'cause I like it better." he chuckled, "I don't know- maybe I've missed speaking Mandarin."

Just then, Myungsoo realized something. Kris was a foreigner (good job captain obvious). He had no family here- only his friends. The lad was probably really homesick too, after being sent off to some other country for his father's bussiness purposes. It didn't help that he discovered his dad's filthy ways all by himself- it only added more pressure. When the boy tried to bring justice, the only people he had- his friends- left him too.

Oh, how guilty Myungsoo felt. Never had he been so ashamed of himself. He sympathized with Kris and patted his shoulder lightly, although, with a heavy heart. "I'm sorry, man." he said, mournful, "It must have been so tough on you."

Kris only nodded and clapped his friend's back as he went away. "Where are you going?" Minho called to him. He shrugged and replied, "I'm off to talk to the trainers." With that, Minho understood and nodded.

Taeyeon asked him, curious, "What is that boy up to?" He only smiled and gave her a short answer. "He's going to tell them about his infamous plan."

"Oh- that," she said in a dismissive manner.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

Author's note: I am so so sorry if this chap's so boring and depressing. It's just what I've been feeling like these days. Math exams are the worst *cries*
                        I also haven't updated in a whileee-                          
                        SORRY. LUV U MWAH.