One of The Best

To The Years of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Dear readers, all stories come to an end. 
I'm wrapping up this fic in a few chapters. (like really a few, because I have actually finished writing them already - ahh, the sense of accomplishment!)
Please give your support till the end~ Thank you ^^

 

 

 

Kyuhyun opened his eyes slightly, but shut them tight again as the light from the sun shone right on his face. When his eyes adjusted, he realized that he was in a hospital ward, sleeping on the bed. He felt Sungmin’s breath against his own chest as Sungmin laid still in the crook of his neck. Kyuhyun’s right arm was on the pillow above Sungmin’s head, while his left arm was slung over Sungmin’s waist.

Kyuhyun then recalled that they have fallen asleep together on the same bed last night. A smile tugged on the side of Kyuhyun’s lips.

 

But something seemed wrong. Sungmin’s hands were sandwiched in between them, but there was a pair of hands wrapped around Kyuhyun’s waist…

 

A pair of hands coming… from the back.

 

 

“Ack!” Kyuhyun jumped up in bed, kicking the intruder off the bed in the process.

“What the are you doing? Arghhh.” Heechul moaned, rubbing his in pain.

“Hyung! What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asked, surprised.

“What? You two can hug so tightly and I can’t do that? To think I slogged so hard for you two brats!” Heechul yelled.

“No hyung… But—”

 

Sungmin’s cheery laughter cut short the squabble between Kyuhyun and Heechul. They turned to look at Sungmin, observing him for a few seconds as Sungmin giggled merrily on his own. His laughter died when he noticed the two of them staring at him.

 

“Good morning, hyung.” Sungmin smiled widely. “Good morning, Kyuhyun.”

 

“Sungmin-ah! Did you have a good sleep? How are you feeling?” Heechul picked himself up from the ground and walked towards Sungmin’s side.

“Mmh, I haven’t slept for this long in quite a while.” Sungmin looked towards Kyuhyun, who was now searching for his phone in his bag.

 

“Thank you, Kyuhyun.”

“Huh? Uh… It’s nothing.” Kyuhyun dared not look up from his bag, afraid that his face was red.

 

“Good then! Wash up and have some breakfast. The nurse came by just now to give you breakfast but I asked her to let you sleep a little more.” Heechul pointed at the tray of breakfast on the side table. “You have an appointment with the psychiatrist in a while.”

“Psychiatrist?” Sungmin’s tone turned worried.

Kyuhyun responded immediately upon sensing Sungmin’s uncomfortableness.
“It’s just a normal checkup, hyung. They wanted to give you some… counseling since you—”

“Hit my own head…”

“Yeah, hit…hit your own head.”

 

Sungmin sighed. “I don’t need counseling.”

“Just treat it as you’re just chatting and making friends with the doctor, Ming.” Heechul said and handed Sungmin the small toiletries bag he brought from Sungmin’s house. “Now go brush your teeth, go go. Or do you need Kyuhyun’s help in this too?”

“Hyung~” Kyuhyun whined.

“What? You really want to help?”

 

“I hit my head, not my hand.” Sungmin snatched the bag over and got off the bed.

“Omo, then you do remember how to brush your teeth right?” Heechul cupped Sungmin’s face in his hands dramatically.
“Wait, do you remember who I am??”

“Yes~~ My almighty manager who does everything for me and forgets no reminders.” Sungmin chanted and walked towards the toilet.

“Awww, my star composer remembers me as his almighty manager… YAH, ARE YOU CALLING ME NAGGY AND TREATING ME AS YOUR NANNY?” Heechul shouted after Sungmin, who giggled and quickly closed the toilet door.

 

Sungmin stared at himself in the mirror. He looked pale and tired. He hoped that it was really a normal checkup and nothing was wrong with him. Why was he even worried? Sighing again, Sungmin started on his washup routine, something he had neglected for the past week.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“I’ll be going back to the company then. Call me if you need anything, Sungmin.” Heechul turned to the female psychiatrist, who introduced herself as Dr. Baek.
“Pretty Doctor, if he misbehaves, feel free to tell me and I will smack his for you.”

“Thank you, Heechul-ssi. I’m sure Sungmin-ssi is a gentleman.” Dr. Baek smiled.

“Okay then, see you when I see you~” Heechul winked and made his way out of the ward.

“I’ll be outside, hyung.” Kyuhyun said and followed Heechul out.

 

 

“So, was breakfast good for you, Sungmin-ssi?” Dr. Baek took the seat beside Sungmin’s bed.

“Breakfast was good. Just call me Sungmin, Dr. Baek.” Sungmin forced a smile despite the turmoil in him.

 

What was he afraid of? Knowing he was mentally ill? Having to talk to a stranger about his personal life? Or having to face everything again?

 

“I’m sure the nurse asked you just now, but are you feeling unwell anywhere? Headache?”

“No... I’m fine.”

 

Awkwardness followed as silence overtook the ward. Sungmin leaned back against the pillow and pulled his knees up towards his chest. He fiddled with his fingers, waiting for the doctor to ask another question.

 

“You’re nervous.” Dr. Baek said after seconds.

“Maybe a little.” Sungmin answered without looking up from his fingers.

“You’re afraid.”

“I’m not afraid of you, Doctor.”

“Then what are you afraid of?”

Sungmin looked up at the doctor. “I don’t know. Am I afraid?”

“For the very first thing, you are afraid that you have to talk to me.”

“I said I am not afraid of you.”

“I know. This is not about me. You are afraid of the things you may need to talk about.”

“Maybe.”

 

“Hmm… Don’t be nervous. I’m here to help. Shall we start from the easy questions?”
Dr. Baek continued when there was no response. “Why did you injure yourself yesterday?”

“I was drunk.”

“And?”

“Emotional.”

“And?”

“No more.”

 

“Even when a person is drunk, the automatic response is to protect oneself and injure the ones around you instead. Who was with you last night?”

I love you, but as my hyung and my best friend.

 

“No one, I was drinking on my own.”

“What about your friends?”

“They came later.”

“So you were talking to your friend and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter