Chap 24

The Single Daddies Club

A/N: Sorry if the formatting is funky, I got a new computer. Also, this is super long... I had a lot I wanted to fit in! Haha, enjoy :)

 

    “Baekhyun, are you sure this is the best idea?” I asked.

    “Of course it is!” Baekhyun snapped. “God damnit Yisoo, stop being so critical!”

    “Geez, calm down, Baek!” Tao insisted.

    “YOU CALM DOWN,  PANDA BOY!” Baekhyun nearly screamed. Mid yell, he tripped over his own foot and barely stopped himself from face planting onto the sidewalk.

    “CALM DOWN SIDEWALK! MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!” The fair boy screamed, and passersby carefully made sure to give him space. I even saw a mother cover the eyes of her daughter as they passed Baekhyun, who was still fuming.

    “Appa is going crazy…” I whispered to Baekha, who was in my arms. The four of us (well, five including Nabi who was passed out in her stroller) were making our way over to a children’s art museum across town. It was the location that Jin had picked to host his 5th birthday party, which had somewhere along the way been combined with a fairy princess birthday party for Dahye, Nabi, Baekha and Sehee. In an attempt to increase “party planning efficiency” (Junmyeon’s words, not mine), we had unaminously decided to combine the five kids’ birthdays into one big arts-and-crafts-fairy-princess-birthday extravaganza.

    Tao snorted after he heard my comment and Baekhyun whipped his head around to face us.

    “Is something funny??!” He snapped again. It would’ve been scary, that is if his actions didn’t remind me so much of a hyperactive beagle.

    “Did I laugh?” Tao asked innocently. “Yisoo, did you laugh? Hyung, I think you’re finally losing your mind…”

    “Don’t joke with me, Zitao. This has not been a good morning, day, week!” Baekhyun shouted. “First, Baekha get’s an ear infection, then the bakery claims to not have received my order for a cake, and the stupid people at Party’s Are Us run out of princess themed plates. How does a party store run out of princess themed anything?? Took me hours to find a different one, and then, after I spend all day running around, I get home and a cat had tore up all the plants in my apartment, and I don’t even own a cat!”

    “It’s like the universe decided,” he continued, “ ‘Hey let’s ruin Byun Baekhyun’s life this week! Sounds like a great idea doesn’t it?’ Well it doesn’t!”

    “Wow, he’s worse than I thought.” Tao sighed. “Hyung, don’t stress out. In a couple hours, it will all be over, trust me.”

    “Sure, sure…” Baekhyun muttered, then proceeded to mumble things to himself for the rest of our walk.

    “I think this is the building.” Tao announced a little while later. We stepped inside and followed the signs that said “This way to the arts and crafts / fairy princess birthday party for ”. We had got there early to set up, but once we arrived at our section Junmyeon and Minseok were already there preparing.

    “Hey guys!” Junmyeon said cheerfully when he saw us. “It looks great, doesn’t it?”

    Great, was probably an exaggeration, but I nodded in agreement anyway. There were a couple large tables set up low to the ground covered in arts and crafts supplies, and various larger ones for the adults too. You would think it was just an average arts and crafts party, if it wasn’t for the giant inflatible princess castle, pink tiaras scattered about, and princess themed cutlery.

    “That’s a nice… castle.” I lied, trying to think of something positive to say.

    “Thanks!” Tao replied as he ran over to inspect it. “I picked it out myself! The little kids can go inside of it and play, gosh I wish I could go in there and play too!”

    “Easy there princess,” Minseok joked. “Let the kids have the fun.”

    Tao pouted for a while, but soon we were all busy setting up for the party. We put out more arts and crafts supplies as well as loaded another table with snacks and drinks. The room we were set up in was actually pretty nice, there were paintings covering the walls and down  hall lead to an interactive part of the museum for the kids to play around in too. The party was set to begin at 3, and it was 2:57. Five minutes later though, no one had turned up.

    “Those bastards!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

    “Hey Baekhyun! Watch your mouth!” Junmyeon scolded as he tried to cover his daughters’ ears.

    “No one has shown up yet! They are all late! I bet they aren’t even going to come… those jerks… probably standing us up to do something differ- AHGGGHH!”

    Chanyeol had arrived mid Baekhyun-rant, and towards the end, had decided it would be fun to jump onto the smaller man’s back and attack him with what looked like hugs (he could’ve been trying to strangle him too, it was a bit hard to tell the difference).

    “WHOSE A JERK FOR NOT SHOWING UP??” Chanyeol boomed as he messed up Baekhyun’s hair.

    “Yea who??!” Chanyong chimed in, also jumping on Baekhyun and throwing little punches at his side.

    “GERROFF ME!!” Baekhyun’s cries for help were muffled, but the two big eared boys finally jumped off him.

    “Where are the birthday girls?!” Chanyeol asked as Baekhyun began to fix his shirt and hair.

    “Here! I’m here Chanyeol Oppa over here!” Dahye grinned from one of the arts and crafts tables.

    “Where?” Chanyeol stood up straight and pretended to look right over her head. “That’s funny, I thought I heard princess Dahye but I can’t seem to find her?”

    “I’m right in front of you!!” Dahye giggled as she stood up on her chair to try to get taller. Just as Junmyeon was about to scold her not to stand on furniture, Chanyeol “found” her and swooped down to pick her up and twirl her around.

    “There she is!” Chanyeol beamed. “Wow, look at you! How old are you now, 17? 18? You looks so mature!” Chanyeol joked.

    Dahye giggled and replied, “No! I’m three, three! Not 17!”

    “Are you sure?” Chanyeol joked again.

    “Yes!” Junmyeon answered. “They aren’t teenagers yet, Chanyeol. Please, do not rush that for me.”

    “Oh yea, you get the teenagers first, don’t you?” Tao mused.

    “Me, Kris and Minseok.” Junmyeon sighed. “You all better still be around then when that happens, got it? I don’t think I could handle all that on my own…”

    I laughed. “Don’t worry, Junmyeon. I’ll help you when they are teenagers and asking you about makeup, and bras, and boys…”

    “Woah woah what are we talking about here?” Jongdae asked as he came into the room, followed by Daehyun, Daehyuk, Jaehan and Luhan.

    “Yea, sounds like fun! I wish we were here for the start of this conversation!” Luhan joked.

    “Oh stop it!” Junmyeon sighed. “Just be glad you both have boys and won’t have to be having those conversations!!”

    Luhan laughed. “Believe me, I know.”

    “Yea,” Jongdae added. “But if they were girls, I would just get Yisoo to do all that stuff for me.” He gave me a wink.

    “I have never been this happy that you have boys!” I exclaimed, turning to see where the little monsters had run off to. “Umm, speaking of which, DAEHYUK! Stop shoving pipe cleaners up your brother’s nose!!!”

    Jongdae turned to find his sons too, and immediately ran over to stop Daehyun from gluing googly eyes all over his brother’s forehead in revenge.

    As more parents and kids began to arrive, the kids started to have a lot of fun with their art projects. We told them to go around to room and look at the other paintings for inspiration, but we had to end that when Ace started to eat the edge of a painting of a bowl of fruit.

    Soon, only one birthday girl was missing and that was Sehee. I had sent Jongin a text because he and Sehun were arriving together, and he had said Sehun had missed the train and was running late.

    “Yixing, is Miyeon coming?” Minseok asked.

    “No, she had to work. They are preparing for the talent show this weekend and she’s kind of swamped with things to do.” Yixing said disappointedly.

    “Good!” Chanyeol interrupted. “I don’t think I could’ve stood to see you guys being all lovey dovey, and Yisoo and Jongin, once Jongin gets here. It’s too much for my eyes.” He covered his face with his large hands and pretended to be blind.

    “We are not that bad!!” Yixing and I said at once.

    “Ok, Yisoo, you are not that bad.” Kris explained. “But you two have also only been together for what, 4 days? So it could get worse, I’m not saying it won’t. But Yixing, you too are-”

    “GROSS!” Tao interrupted. “Always so giggly, and cute, and googly eyes at each other. Every morning I see you two leaving the building and I see you at night when you drop her off from work. Tone down the PDA, please, it’s too much for a person to handle!!”

    Yixing just smiled and ignored Tao’s rant.

    “Sorry, but actually, not really sorry.” He replied. “If you don’t like it, don’t watch! I’m not going to stop.”

    “Good for you, Yixing!” I added. “See guys? If we want to be all cute and lovey with someone because we really like them, why stop? So what if I want to hold his hand a lot and give him lots of hugs and kiss them in public!”

    “Sounds good with me!” A new voice suddenly came from behind me. I turned around in shock to see Jongin. He and Sehun had arrived just in time to hear my little speech, or at least the tail end of it. I felt my face flush red in embarrassment.

    “What? I um, hi Jongin I was just…” I stuttered.

    “Talking about how much you want to kiss me and hold my hand? Yea, I heard.” He said with a smirk.

    “It wasn’t just about me! It was about Yixing and Miyeon to--”

    “It’s ok, I get it.” Jongin said. “I know I’m just irresistible to you…” He lowered his head a bit to give me a quick peck on the cheek.

    “STOP STOP STOP!!!” The boys all jeered, lead by a red faced Chanyeol. I momentarily forgot my embarrassment and gave Jongin a kiss back, much to the other guys disdain.

    “Save that for later guys, please?” Sehun pleaded with a look of disgust. “There are children here.”

    “Speaking of children!” I said with a smile. “Where is your little birthday girl?” I reached for Sehee, who was in Sehun’s arms and picked her up. She was all smiles and giggle this afternoon, laughing as I twirled her around and found a small tiara to put on her head.

    “Sorry we are late, guys.” Sehun apologized as he poured himself a glass of water and found a seat. “Missed the train. Did we miss anything spectacular?”

    “Not really, the kids are just doing arts and crafts.” Junmyeon replied. “I think we should do presents soon, though, before they get bored and start arts-and-craftsing each other.”

    “Wait guys!” Minseok announced. “Before we do that, Jin and I would like to share with you all what we have been doing for our bonding project.” Minseok gestured to Jin, who was working on a painting with a serious look on his face. The little boy looked up and ran over to his uncle.

    “Tell them what we’ve been doing, Jinnie!” Minseok said.

    “Minseok Samchun and I have been visiting all the museums in Seoul!” Jin beamed. “We’ve gone to history ones, art ones, science ones! It’s all so fascinating and exciting!”

    “Wow, Minseok.” Luhan joked. “Could you have picked a nerdier thing to do?”

    “Hey, it was his idea!” Minseok defended. “And I’m not about to discourage him from wanting to learn. You all will be wishing your kids begged to go to museums when they’re older and can’t tell the difference between a Van Gogh and a Picasso.”

    “Yea, I’m sure we will really be disappointed then.” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

    “Hey, I’m just saying, he likes it, I like it, it’s been a lot of fun.” Minseok said again.

    “I’m sure it has!” Junmyeon said. “Is that why you wanted to come to this children’s museum for the party?”

    “Yea! I was hoping some of the other kids might start to see how much fun museums can be!” Minseok said, but I couldn’t help but feel like the kids weren’t going to live up to this expectation. The girls had been more interested in the princess castle and arts and crafts, the boys had been more interested in play fighting with the pipe cleaners as swords, and Ace just seemed more interested in eating anything that didn’t run away.

    Junmyeon, it seemed, had noticed this too. “Well, I’m sure they are enjoying it!” He tried to say enthusiastically, but the usual Junmyeon-pep just wasn’t there.

    “Hey, um, I think Kyungbin likes it!” My brother added. “I took him on a walk around some of the other exhibits, I think he liked it.”

    “That’s awesome! Hey, next weekend Jin and I were planning on going to this history museum with a new exhibit on the history of ink! Would you like to join us? Jin is so excited to go, he just finished a book about ink and can’t stop talking about it…”

    “Yea… um… sure maybe…” My brother said, starting to engage Minseok in a private conversation to attempt to decline as lightly as possible. Something told me four hours in a museum dedicated to ink was not my brother’s idea of a great time.

    “So Sehee is one year old, huh?” I asked to Sehun, who was watching his daughter crawl around on the floor and throw colored puff balls at his feet.

    “Yea. Time really does fly by.” He replied with a bit of nostalgia. “I remember when I first brought her home like it was yesterday… Now look at her! Crawling all by herself, getting her teeth, she’s even starting to look like me!”

    “Sehun, she’s still a baby, she can’t look like you yet.” Jongin pointed out.

    “She totally does!!!” Sehun rebuted. “Look at her nose, that is my nose she has. And she’s got my smile, my eyes, and the cutest little !”

    “Did he just compliment his own ?” I whispered to Jongin.

    “I, I think so.” Jongin said as he tried not to laugh. “You’re right, Sehun. I was wrong, she looks exactly like you.”

    “Present time!” Junmyeon announced before Sehun had a chance to respond. “Birthday girls, and boy, together in the front!”

    We assembled ourselves into a large circle with Sehee, Baekha, Nabi, Jin and Dahye sitting in the front. The huge pile of presents was moved to be in the middle, right in front of their sparkling eyes.

    “Let’s see, who should open something firs-” Junmyeon was cut off by a flailing Dahye running into the pile of presents to pick out a large pink one with her name written on it in crayon.

    “That one is from me!” Kara exclaimed as Dahye picked up the box and proceeded to shake the life out of it.

    “Easy there, Dahye!” Kris shouted. “It’s fragile!”

    “Fragile?” Dahye questioned back as she set the box down and ripped off the wrappings. Inside was a large doll with an outer space printed dress on. The haircut and face looked exactly like the little girl who was holding it.

    “It’s a Dahye Doll!” Kris explained. “From our new collection, haven’t even been released on the market yet!”

    “New collection?” I whispered to Jongin, who was sitting at my side.

“Yea, from Wu’s Toys? Kris’s company!” Jongin explained as if it was obvious.

“Wu’s Toys?” I echoed. “Wait, I’ve heard that brand before! They’re, like, huge?? Aren’t they?”

Jongin laughed. “Yea, I mean, it is a multi-million dollar business. I can’t believe you didn’t know! Where did you think we got all the toys in the meeting room from?”

“Kyungsoo said they were from the daycare that used to be there…”

“Yea, some.” Jongin explained. “The older ones, but all the new toys are his company’s creations. We kind of test them out for him, too.”

“How the heck did I not know this??” I asked half to Jongin, half to myself.

 

“I really don’t know, Yisoo.” Jongin chuckled at me just as a plastic bow came flying at his face.

“Oops!” Sehun called from across the room. “Sorry, Hyung. I guess Sehee just got a bit too excited with this one!” His daughter was ripping apart a box to reveal a shirt with printed words on it inside.

“Oh that one is from me!” Jongin said as Sehun picked out the shirt and read what was on the front.

“‘I’m With Stupid’... Hey!!” Sehun spit angrily at Jongin, who doubled over laughing just as Sehun chucked the shirt into his chest.

“That’s not funny!!” Sehun fumed.

“Nice one, Jongin!” Luhan said as he gasped for air between laughs.

“Hyung!!” Sehun whined.

“Alright, relax.” Jongin choked out as he caught his breath. “This one was a gag gift, the real one is deeper in the wrapping paper.”

Sehun looked into the box and pulled out a different shirt, this one with the phrase “Daddy’s Princess” printed on the front.

“Ooooh!” Sehun squealed as he picked up Sehee and held the shirt onto her chest. “It’s perfect she loves it!!”

“Your welcome!” Jongin called over to the younger boy, but I don’t think Sehun heard. He was too busy showing the shirt off to Tao.

“I got Nabi a similar one.” Jongin said to me. “Except his says “Daddy’s Little Butterfly” on it instead.”

“Cute.” I said, giggling at his pun. “What did you get Jin?”

“Oh my god that took forever to find!” Jongin sighed. “What do you get a five year old boy that only likes books??”

“Umm, well I would start with a book…” I said.

“That’s what I did!” Jongin said. “I found this history book on the history of boats and water trade in the 1500’s and I thought, why not?”

“Water trade in the 1500’s???” I asked in disbelief. “That sounds incredibly boring, you couldn’t find one about, I don’t know, firetrucks or bears or zombie or something five year old boys like?”

“Jin is not your average five year old boy…” Jongin started but was interrupted.

“Jongin Hyung!” Jin called from the opposite side of the circle. “Thank you for the book! I’ve really been fascinated by water trade and travel recently, this is wonderful!”

Jongin shot me a knowing smirk before replying. “Hey no problem Jinnie!”

“Oh, and thank you Yisoo Noona for the zombie book, it looks great but…” Jin trailed off.

“But what?” I asked.

“Well, zombies are a mythological subhuman species that has next to zero chance of ever actually existing.” Jin explained.

“But, they’re cool, right?” I asked, trying to make my book sound better.

“I guess, if you are intrigued by scientific impossibilites.” Jin replied nonchalantly before reaching for a new present to open. Minseok caught my eyes and gave me an apologetic have smile and a shrug.

Jongin, meanwhile, was having a great old time smiling smugly next to me.

“What was that about Jin not liking his present? What did you say about boys liking zombies better than the amazing nautical achievements of the 16th century?” He teased.

“Oh shut up, know it all.” I complained as I punched his stomach.

“Hey Yisoo!” Baekhyun suddenly called over to me. “Thanks for Baekha’s present, she loves it!” He said as he waved my gift in the air. I had gotten her a toy microphone which I knew he would love.

“Great!” I replied. “For her to start practicing now!” I grinned.

“Oh definitely! This is perfect for when we sing together!” Baekhyun beamed.

“Just wait, in couple years you two will be singing duets together all the time!” Chanyeol joked, but Baekhyun’s eyes lit up.

“Wait Chanyeol!” He exclaimed. “I think you just had your best idea ever!!”

“I what?” Chanyeol sputtered.

“Daddy Daughter Duets!” Baekhyun nearly screamed. “It’s perfect! We will be singing together forever! Junmyeon, we should’ve done this bonding thing when they were older, this is perfect for us!!”

“Well, there’s still a chance we can!” Junmyeon replied. “It would be fun to do more stuff like this  with the kids when they are older, too.”

“Just please, no more dancing!” Chanyeol whined.

“Chanyeol, you should sign Chanyong up for taekwondo!” Jongdae said. “I really think he would like it.”

“I’ve actually been thinking the same thing.” Chanyeol said. “After this dancing debacle is over, I think we might just take you up on that offer.”

“Hey guys!” Luhan suddenly announced. “Did you all open your presents from me and Jae?”

Minseok, Tao, Junmyeon, Baekhyun and Sehun nodded in agreement.

“Cool! Then I have to go, it was fun but I have plans tonight I have to get ready for. Junmyeon, you’re cool getting Jaehan later, right?”

“Yes, I can watch him until your date is over. Please though, Luhan, before 5 am would be appreciated.” Junmyeon replied.

“Woah, Luhan! You have a date?” Jongdae asked.

“Yea.” Luhan grinned. “This pretty girl I met on the subway the other day, actually said yes to a random guy on the train!”

“She might be a weirdo, hyung.” Sehun pointed out.

“Well, you might be a weirdo too.” Luhan replied back and Sehun just sat quietly, pondering this thought with a serious look on his face.

“Have fun!” I said.

“Thanks!” Luhan replied as he grabbed his coat and headed for the door.

“Bye Jaehan! Be good to Junmyeon hyung, okay?” Luhan asked his son, who came running over to him to give him a goodbye hug.

“I will! I love going over to Jihye and Dahye’s house! They got the best dress up clothes!” Jaehan squealed. Luhan laughed, kissed his son’s forehead and left.

“I’m so glad he’s not still hung up on Miyeon.” I said to Jongin.

“I think he is though…” Jongin sighed. “I think that’s why he asked this random girl out on a date, to get his mind off it and all.”

“You think?” I asked surprised, suddenly worried over Luhan’s heart. “He shouldn’t just go out with a girl because he thinks he has to…”

“It’s ok, he’s done this before. He get’s his heart broken by one girl, then it takes a couple more to mend it back up.” Jongin explained. “It’s not a healthy system, but it seems to work for him.”

After all the presents were opened and the room was thoroughly covered in wrapping paper, we all ate cake and soon it was time to go. Jongin asked it I wanted to go and get some dinner with him and Hyein, but I had to decline. Baekhyun was coming over for one last rehearsal before the talent show and I promised Kyungsoo I would stick around in case they tried to strangle each other. (They were getting better together, but given the week Baekhyun had been having, I understood my brother’s concern.)

“Are you sure you don’t want to come eat with us?” Jongin pouted as he struggled to bundle Hyein up in what looked like four different sweaters.

“I can’t, I have to protect Kyungsoo from Baekhyun… or maybe its Baekhyun from Kyungsoo… it’s actually quite hard to tell who needs saving more.” I joked.

“I could come over too!” Jongin offered and I laughed.

“Nice try,” I said. “But I’m sure Hyein would rather get to sleep.”

“Yea, you’re right…” Jongin mumbled, glancing over his daughter with a concerned look in his eyes. “But we’re still on for coffee tomorrow morning? Before your classes?”

“Of course.” I replied with a grin and I peck on the lips.

“Alright, are you two lovebirds done yet?” Baekhyun whined from the door where he and Kyungsoo were waiting to leave.

“Hmm, not yet Hyung!” Jongin called over before leaning in to steal another kiss.

“Remind me again why I told her to confess to him…” Kyungsoo muttered to himself as we finally broke apart and said goodbye.

“Because you love us!” I replied as I went over to join them. “Ready to go?”

“Yes, I’ve been ready for the past ten minutes but somebody needed to make out with her boyfriend grotesquely in public before we could go…” Baekhyun complained as I punched him in the arm.

“Be careful!” He whined as we left the museum. “You’ll make me drop Baekha!”

“I would never do such a thing!” I gasped as I leaned in to pinch her cheeks and kiss her nose. “She’s my little baby princess!”

I continued to play with Baekha and Kyungbin as Baekhyun complained the entire walk back to our apartment. Once we were back, I was put on baby duty (which really just meant watching cartoons and playing with toy trucks) while the boys practiced their duet in Kyungsoo’s room.

“Because you’re not aloud to hear it before it’s perfect!” Baekhyun had snapped when I asked why they couldn’t just practice in the living room.

Lucky for me - I mean the kids - my favorite Tom and Jerry reruns were on. Baekha seemed mildly interested in the cartoon, but she was more interested in crawling towards the door to Kyungsoo’s bedroom whenever her dad’s voice could be heard from the other side.

“Baekha-yah!” I called. “Come back here, Appa’s busy!” But she ignored me. Finally, I gave up calling her over and went over to pick her up and bring her back to the mattress to watch the cartoons.

“APPPPAAAAAAAAA!” She began to wail when I picked her up. She squirmed and fidgeted in my arms as I tried to carry her back to the living room.

“Appa - ouch! - is busy right now!” I said as she flailed against my chest and hit me on the cheek. Soon, she began to burst into tears as she continually screamed for her dad.

“What is going on??!” Kyungsoo announced as the door to his bedroom swung open.

“Baekha!” Baekhyun gasped as he saw his daughter screaming in my arms. He quickly ran over to take her into his embrace.

“APPPPPAAAAA!” She continued to wail even as her dad tried to console her. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo came into the living room too. When Kyungbin saw his dad, his eyes lit up and he began to crawl over the pillows and sheets on the floor to get to his side. Kyungsoo sighed once his son reached his feet and lifted his chubby arms up in the air, asking to be picked up, but scooped up his son anyway with a smile.

“I think we can call it a night, what do you say?” Kyungsoo offered once Baekha started to quiet down. “The kids are getting tired.”

“Yea, maybe I should get home and get her to bed…” Baekhyun said with a yawn. “We can practice again later this week.” Kyungsoo nodded in agreement as I suddenly heard my phone ding, indicating a text.

 

From: Kim Junmyeon

To: Do Yisoo

 

Hello Yisoo-shi, I sincerely apologize for inconveniencing you at this hour, however I have gotten an emergency call from the office and must go in immediately. I was hoping you could come over and watch the girls and Jaehan while I am away? I shouldn’t be too long and Luhan will hopefully come soon to pick Jaehan up. Thank you!

 

I sighed, but responded.

 

To: Kim Junmyeon

From: Do Yisoo

 

Hey Junmyeon oppa, I can come, just give me 20 min

 

“Soo, I have to go.” I said as I picked myself up off the floor and began collecting some things to bring to Junmyeon’s.

“Where are you possibly going? At this hour?” My brother asked.

“Probably to go hook up with Jong-” Baekhyun shut up after I punched him the in the stomach.

“Junmyeon got called into work, I’m just going over to watch the girls and Jae until he get’s back.” I replied while glaring at Baekhyun.

“Doesn’t Minseok live near him?” Kyungsoo asked. “Why can’t he watch them?”

“I don’t know, I didn’t ask.” I said. “It’s fine, they’re all asleep I’ll probably just fall asleep too.”

“I’ll leave with you.” Baekhyun said as he gathered his things. “I live down that way too.”

“Alright…” Kyungsoo muttered, still not happy that I was leaving so late.

“It’s fine.” I told him. “He would do it for you.” I pointed out.

“I guess you’re right.” My brother agreed. “I’m going to bed though, just text me when you’re coming home.”

“Got it.” I said as Baekhyun and I left the apartment.

“I wonder why Junmyeon got called into work.” I thought out loud as Baekhyun, Baekha and I started walking. “It’s nearly 11.”

“It happens to him sometimes.” Baekhyun explained. “He works for a pretty big law firm. When they get a new case that’s really complicated and has a short deadline, they need every man they can get. And Junmyeon at saying no.”

“That stinks.” I said. “Does it happen often?”

“Maybe once or twice a month?” Baekhyun pondered. “Sometimes more, he’s not the workaholic Kris is, but he works just as crazy hours.”

“What do the girls do when he has to work like this?” I asked.

“Usually Minseok will watch them.” Baekhyun replied. “They live in the same building.”

“Maybe he just doesn’t want to bother Minseok tonight, it is Jin’s birthday, afterall.”

“Yea,” Baekhyun said. “And he also knows you’re as big a pushover as he is.”

“Hey!”

“Hey what!” Baekhyun replied. “You know it’s true. You’d do anything if you thought it was for the kids. Remember when you came to babysit with me when I asked you because you thought there was an emergency?”

“Yes.” I spit. “And you were just bored.”

“Exactly! If it was for me, you wouldn’t have come. But you thought it was for the kids, so you came.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“I say it that way because I know you get annoyed, and you’re fun to annoy.” Baekhyun said with a cheesy smile. I couldn’t help but smile back.

“This is his building.” Baekhyun said as we stopped on the street. “I’m a couple blocks over. I’d say call me if  you need any help, but I know I’m gonna be passed out the second I get home and put Baekha to bed, so I don’t think I’d actually be any help.”

“Thanks?”

“Goodnight!” He replied with a wave.

“Goodnight.” I chuckled back as I entered the apartment complex. I took the elevator up to his floor and knocked on his door. It swung open immediately.

“Oh thank goodness you’re here.” Junmyeon breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

“It’s no problem.” I said as I stifled a yawn. “Where are the kids?”

“Jihye and Dahye are asleep in their room.” Junmyeon whispered as he showed me inside. The apartment was small, but stylishly decorated. Except for the plethora of mirrors hanging on the walls, it was refined and classy, just like Junmyeon’s taste. “And Jaehan is here, passed out on the couch.” He lead me to the living room and I saw the little boy sprawled on the sofa, mouth hanging slightly open as he snored.

“I’m so sorry I had to call you, usually I can get Minseok to watch them when I get called in late but I didn’t want to bother him on Jin’s birthday…” He continued.

“It’s ok.” I replied.  “When should Luhan be here?”

“Before 1, hopefully.” Junmyeon said. “I should be back by 3 or 4. Is that ok?”

“Yea, I’ll probably just sleep too.” I replied.

“Ok, make yourself at home!” Junmyeon said and smiled, though I could see the dark circles under his eyes. “I’ll get back as soon as  I can.”

“Take your time.” I assured him. “We will be fine.”

He said thanks again before rushing out the door. I went and found the girls bedroom to check in on them. They were both tucked snuggly in bed, fast asleep. Dahye was even clutching the doll Kris had given her early in the day. Sluggishly, I made it back to the living room and kicked back on the reclining chair, preparing to fall asleep. I had just fallen into a deep sleep when a sudden knock on the door startled me and woke me up.

    “Luhan?” I whispered as I went to open the door. I checked through the peep hole first but then opened up when I saw the familiar ginger hair.

    “Hey…” I started as I opened the door but Luhan cut me off.

    “You’re not Junmyeon.” He said curtly.

    “Nice to see you too.” I replied back with equal snark, letting him into the apartment. “Junmyeon got called into work. I’m here watching the kids.”

    “That’s nice of you.” Luhan said.

    “Yea, I’ve just been sleeping.” I said. “So…?”

    “So, what?”

    “How was your date?”

    “Where is Jae?”

    “Ooh, that bad?” I joked.

    “Is he in the living room?”

    “Was she that bad?”

    “Which way to the living room again? God I hate these mirrors, I can’t tell where anything is.”

    “They make the space seem larger.” I clarified. “What was wrong with her? Was she uglier than you thought? Or was she weird? Maybe Sehun was right…”

    “Here he is.”

    “Did you two not hit it off?”

    “How long has he been asleep?”

    “Did she have weird habits?”

    “Where are his socks?”

    “Did she smell bad?”

    “ENOUGH!” Luhan yelled, startling me and shutting me up.

    “Sorry…” I mumbled. “I was just joking… you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want…” I sat down on the floor by the sofa and looked around for Jaehan’s socks.

    “Here they are.” I said as I handed the socks to Luhan, who was still standing by the sofa, staring down at Jaehan as if trying to burn holes into his shirt.

    “Take the socks.” I said, grabbing his hand and stuffing them into his palm when he didn’t reach over to grab them.

    “I… I’m…” Luhan started, just as his eyes began to water.

    “Woah, it’s ok. I shouldn’t have asked so many questions. Don’t cry? You had the right to get angry.” I said, trying to patch things over.

    “It’s not your fault.” Luhan said. “I shouldn’t have yelled at you… I’m, I’m sorry.”

    “No hard feelings…” I replied. “Are you alright?”

    “I’m…” He started, but couldn’t seem to get the words out without tearing up more.

    “Shhh!” I hushed. “It’s ok, don’t cry!” I started to rub his shoulder, but was very confused. I thought he was maybe just tired. I grabbed his arm and brought him to sit down on the floor with me at the foot of the sofa. He kept crying silent tears as he used the socks in his hand to clean his eyes.

    “Ew, um Luhan don’t use his socks for that, here let me go get you a tissue or something.” I said as I got up and went to go get him a tissue. When I got back, he had stopped crying and was putting the socks back on his son’s feet.

    “She wasn’t weird or ugly.” He replied when I went and sat down next to him again.

    “What?”

    “It wasn’t bad because she was weird or ugly.” He said again. “She was the opposite, actually. Pretty, funny, smart. I started to really like her after a while, but she didn’t like me at all after I told her-”

    “After you told her what?”

    “After I told her I had a son.” He said finally. “When I told her about Jaehan… she just looked disgusted.”

    I was shocked. I didn’t know what on earth to say to that. How could someone be so completely turned off by someone just because they had a child?

    “All she said was ‘Oh.’” He continued, a blank expression on his face. “Then she went to the bathroom and… and she didn’t come back.”

    “That …” I mumbled by accident, not meaning to say it out loud.

    “You should’ve seen her face.” Luhan said. “It was like I was a completely different person. I was disgusting to her, I could see it all in her eyes. She thought I was some kind of man- or something, or one of those diaper pushing messed up dad’s with no life. Like I wasn’t worth her time, or anyone’s. It was like I was scum.”

    “You are not scum.” I said. “She is. If she is so quick to judge, Luhan she’s not worth your time.”

    “But what if she’s right? What if I am nothing now, because I have a kid? The past four years of my life have been devoted to him and only him. He’s all I have, is that sad?”

    “I’m twenty four years old.” He continued. “And I got to bed at 9. I wake up at 5 to make his lunch and take care of him. I can’t just go hang out with friends, I have to always be there for him. He’s my entire world. Don’t get me wrong, I love being his father. I love him so, so much. But sometimes… sometimes I wonder what it would be like if it was different. If I was a normal 24 year old guy, without a kid. I don’t know, sometimes I wonder if life would be better, more simple.”

    He took a deep breath. “And then I feel like . Because what type of father imagines what life would be like without his son, and thinks for a second that it might be better? What type of father does that make me? Huh? A pretty ty one, that’s what.” Luhan sighed and leaned his head on the couch, staring down at his sleeping son.

    “You think those things, but you don’t mean them.” I said. “You may wonder, but wondering and wishing are completely different things.”

    “What do you mean?”

    “I mean, that it’s okay to wonder what life would be like without Jaehan, but that doesn’t mean it’s what you want.” I answered. “Everyone’s lives are full of what ifs. But that doesn’t mean you actually want a life other than the one you have.”

    “Still, I feel so terrible for thinking that way.”

    “That’s because you love him.” I said. “If you didn’t love Jaehan and you didn’t want him to be your entire world, you wouldn’t feel guilty. You feel guilty because you know deep down that you wouldn’t trade your life for any other one.”

    “You think so?” He asked, looking at me.

    “I know so.” I confirmed. “I don’t know a lot about much, but I do know love when I see it. And I see it every time you look at him.”

    “How do you know so much about love…” Luhan joked half-heartedly.

    “Because I see it in Kyungsoo’s eyes whenever he looks at Kyungbin. And I see it when Sehun looks at Sehee, and Junmyeon looks at Jihye and Dahye, and even when Jongdae is scolding the boys. I see it in all of you when you look at your kids, it’s crystal clear.”

    Luhan laughed lightly.

    “Laugh all you want, but it’s totally true.” I said. “Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean other people don’t. You all just have different ways of showing it. Don’t listen to that girl. She’s ignorant and dull. She couldn’t see a great guy when she saw one, it’s her loss.”

    “I never should’ve asked her out…”

    “I know why you did.” I said. “And you’re right, you shouldn’t have. It was a stupid way to try and get over Miyeon.”

    “How did you-” Luhan started but I cut him off.

    “I just know, ok? And it’s not healthy. One day, you’re going to find the right girl. It may not be tomorrow, or the next day. But I know for sure it will happen. And she’s going to love Jae just as much as she loves you… maybe even more.” I winked.

    “That would be nice…” Luhan sighed. “I wish he had a mom.”

    “He will some day.” I said. “But if not, he doesn’t need one. He’s got a great dad, one that gives him the world and loves him to bits. And that’s all he needs.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N: Thank you guys for all of the wonderful comments ^.^ I'm not kidding when I say they seriously make my day. Just one more chapter left! Are y'all excited to see how it all turns out? :)

Subscribe and comment please :)