Chap 22

The Single Daddies Club

            Yixing left the meeting room a little while later, seemingly in a much better mood. He thanked me profusely for what I had said, but I found it hard to accept his thanks. Like he said, we were a family; and families stuck together.

            Soon after he left, Tao came to drop off Nabi and Luhan came with Jaehan around the same time. Knowing they were undoubtedly the two biggest divas out of all the kids, we spent the hours until their parents came back holding fashion shows. Nabi didn’t really understand what was going on, but Jaehan had quite a bit of fun dressing her up like a little doll. And I thoroughly enjoyed taking pictures of her to send to Tao if he ever texted me in a bad mood (this happened surprisingly more often than I thought it would).

            After their dads came to pick them up and as I was walking back to Kyungsoo’s apartment, I got a call from Miyeon.

            “Yisoo you will never guess what just happened!” She squealed into the phone. I had to hold it about a foot away from my face to keep from losing hearing in my right ear.

            “You’re right, I probably won’t.” I replied. She didn’t answer.

            “Hello?”

            “You’re no fun, you know that right?” Miyeon huffed.

            “I know, I’m sorry.” I chuckled. “What happened?”

            “Yixing just came by my apartment.”

            “What??!”

            “THAT WAS KINDA MY REACTION!” She yelled again and I winced again hearing her shout.

            “Why?” I asked, wondering if what I had said could actually have had such a profound, immediate impact on him.

            “He told me… Everything.” Miyeon said. “And how you talked to him and made him feel better about it all.”

            “So he told you everything about Bing’s mom?” I asked.

            “Mhmm. And how someone told him about my certain feelings for him.”

            “Oh… yea I might know something about that…” I muttered, hoping she wasn’t angry.

            “And he said at first, he didn’t think he was ready. But the more he thought about it, the more he realized it’s what he wanted.” She squealed and my ear ringed.

            “So he asked me on a date!” She practically shrieked.

            “That’s amazing!” I exclaimed.

             “I’m so excited! It’s this weekend, we’re gonna go out to eat and hang out in the city together. And of course, I insisted he bring Bing...” She rattled on about the date plans for the rest of my walk home. When I finally hung up and walked into the apartment, I had a huge, stupid smile plastered onto my face that I just couldn’t manage to wipe off.

            “What’s wrong with your face?” Kyungsoo asked.

            “Nothing’s wrong with my face!!” I said angrily.

            “But you’re wearing that stupidly huge smile you only have on when something really good has happened. And I can’t imagine anything that good could have happened at babysitting. Unless, perhaps, Daehyun and Daehyuk came by and the words please and thank you had actually entered their vocabulary.” Kyungsoo said sarcastically.

            “I wish.” I sighed, dreaming about the twins actually being well behaved. “But something better happened. Yixing came back.”

            “Really??”

            “Yea, he was in the room when I showed up. We talked for a while, but I think he’s back to normal.”

            “That’s a huge relief.” Kyungsoo sighed happily.

            “And, he and Miyeon are going on a date.” I added.

            “What?! Yixing and Miyeon??!!”

            “Don’t question it!” I scolded. “It’s adorable. It’s perfect. And, it’s happening. Kyungsoo, I will go down with this ship.” I stared him straight in the eyes.

            My brother just laughed at me.

            “What ever you say, sis. I agree though, they look good together.” He smiled and I knew he wasn’t kidding.

            “I knew it!” I grinned while looking around the apartment. “Um, Soo? Where is Kyungbin?” I asked, noticing the little squirt’s absense.

            “Oh, he’s at Chanyeol’s with Jaehan and the twins. It was superhero day, or something, and Kyungbin went with them.” He replied and I had strange flashbacks to their last superhero day. I was just hoping I wouldn’t get any surprise calls in the middle of the night again.

            “That’s great! So, just you and me tonight?” I asked. “What do you want to do? I suggest Harry Potter movie marathon. We haven’t done one in forever!!”

            “Actually, I’m going out.”

            “What?? What is this! Kyungsoo, you never have plans!” I gasped. First Kyungbin, now this? I made a mental note to socialize more. A two year old and my anti-people brother had a bigger social lives than I did; if that wasn’t sad I didn’t know what was.

            “Thanks.” Kyungsoo deadpanned. “It’s not really plans, I’m going over to Baek’s to rehearse.”

            “Ohhhh!” I cooed. “So you two are cool now?”

            “Yea, I guess you could say that.” He said with a smirk. “He’s coming around, only about half an now, instead of a full one.”

            “That’s the spirit!” I replied cheerfully.

            We ate some dinner together, and after that Kyungsoo left. I changed into pajamas and parked myself in front of the television on my air mattress. I guess it would be a Harry Potter movie marathon for one. After the first two movies though, I was out cold.

            I was woken up groggily at about 2 in the morning by the buzzing of my phone on my face.

            “Hel-hello?” I croaked into the receiver, not even checking who it was.

            “Yisoo? Yisoo!!!” I heard a voice yell into the other end.

            “Chanyeol, if this is another problem about your superhero thing…”

            “What?! Chanyeol??! Yisoo, this is Jongin!!” The voice shouted again into the receiver and the tone of his voice woke me up at once.

            “What? Jongin, what’s the matter??” I asked.

            “Yisoo, I’m at the hospital. You have to come, you have to!” He sobbed into the phone.

            “Wait, what?? What happened? I’m on my way just wait there!!” I panicked and scrambled off the floor. I ran to get a jacket and shoes and took off out the door.

            “It’s Hyein.. she.. she woke up in the night and was crying and- and when I went to- to check on her… she had the horrible rashed all over her face! And she was crying and—and I just didn’t know what to do--- and please come. Please, hurry!” Jongin sobbed harder.

            “Shh, it’s ok Jongin. Everything is going to be alright. Please calm down, I’ll be there as soon as I can just hang on.” I tried to say as calmly as possible, though inside I was terrified.

I hung up and ran to catch a cab. The driver seemed rather confused to see a young girl in pajamas and rats nest hair hail his cab down like a maniac at 2 in the morning, but I didn’t really care. I had one thing on my mind and it was nothing about my appearance.

            The ride to the hospital was 10 minutes but it felt like an eternity. The whole time my mind was spinning. Was Hyein ok? What happened? Jongin sounded like he was about to die… Should I call anyone else? Junmyeon would know what to do… I should call Junmyeon…

            I made a decision to call Junmyeon once I found Jongin. He would surely know what to do better than I would. I ran into the hospital and a nurse directed me to the pediatric ward. There down one of the halls I saw Jongin pacing outside one of the closed doors. He was wearing pajama pants and a tanktop, slippers on his feet instead of proper shoes. His hair was a tangled mess and when he looked up and saw me, I saw tear stains covering his cheeks and his eyes were blood shot and droopy.

            “Yisoo!” He called and I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around his torso. I squeezed him in a tight hug for a while before I broke away.

            “Jongin… don’t cry….” I started as he began to tear up. “Did you talk to a doctor, is she going to be ok?”

            “They—they said it… it was an allergic reac-tion.” He hiccupped. “She’s getting treatment now, but- but they won’t let me- they won’t let me see her until it’s done.”

            I sighed in relief.

            “But she’s going to be alright?” I asked.

            “They said it – it should. If the treatment works.” Jongin sobbed again. I pulled him into another hug and began to pet his hair, trying to calm him down. I felt his heart race as he pushed closer into my chest.

            “Shh… shh… it will work.” I whispered to him. “It’s going to be alright. Hyein is going to be alright.”

            I held him for a little while longer before I lead him to sit down on a nearby bench. There we sat facing each other, as he cried quietly into my shoulder and I rubbed his back like I would Kyungbin to get him to fall asleep.

            Two sobbing boys in one day… I thought to myself. I was hoping this wouldn’t become a reoccurring pattern, two heart attacks in one day was more than enough for me to handle.

            “Hyein is going to be ok.” I assured Jongin again. “Kyungbin is allergic to bee stings. When he was a baby, he got a bug bite in the park and Kyungsoo freaked out and thought it was from a bee. He took him to the hospital and everything but it was just a mosquito bite.”

            “Hyung must have been terrified…” Jongin mumbled.

            “He was. But it all was fine in the end. You did the right thing, bringing her straight to the doctor. They will know what to do, you don’t need to worry.”

            “It was so scary Yisoo.” Jongin said. “She doesn’t usually wake up during the night, when I heard her crying I was concerned. Then I saw her face and I… I just didn’t know what to do. I thought she was going to die right there. I had never been so scared in my life.”

            “It’ll be ok…” I tried to comfort him. “The doctors will know what to do.”

            I rubbed his back some more as a nagging question tugged at the back of my mind.

 “But Jongin, why did you call me? Why didn’t you call Junmyeon oppa or Minseok oppa?” I finally asked.

            “I don’t know.” He replied quietly. “When I was going to the hospital, I don’t know, I just kept thinking I needed you.”

            I didn’t respond at first. The idea of someone, him, needing me was a lot to take in. No one had ever seemed to need me more than I needed them, not Kyungsoo, no one. I felt a lot of pressure immediately fall onto my shoulders, but for some reason, it felt right. I kind of liked it.

            “We’re a family, Jongin.” I said at last. “I’m always going to be here for you.”

            “More than… more than just family, Yisoo.” Jongin said struggling for his words. Suddenly, he took both my hands in his and looked me straight in the eyes. I never noticed how strong his gaze was before, like I was the only person in the entire world.

            “Um, this isn’t exactly how I planned it happening…” He started, in the back of my mind I knew exactly what he was going to say.

            “But I have a confession to make.” He paused. “Yisoo, I like you. A lot. But I don’t want to scare you away by coming on too strong or too fast. Please, don’t answer me right now. But I want you to know.”

            “Jongin…” I started. “I don’t know… what to say I just…” I stuttered as my mind tried to string together all the words and emotions I was feeling. He had caught me completely off guard and also had not. I had always wondered, just a little, if maybe he had feelings for me. But I had never expected his to confess at all, much less in such a situation. The hardest part was I wasn’t even sure if I could reciprocate his feelings.

            “Then don’t say anything. Not now.” Jongin replied, not letting go of my hands. “Just be here with me. Just - for tonight – could you pretend? I can’t… I can’t wait here for Hyein alone.”

            “I can do that.” I said softly. I brought his hand up to my lips and put a soft, faint kiss on his fingers.

            In that moment I had realized what he wanted. He just wanted someone to share this with. For once, he didn’t want to have to be the single parent. He didn’t want to wait alone to find the fate of his baby girl. He wanted to have someone with him to experience and cope with things with. He wasn’t just scared for Hyein’s health, he was scared of having to go through it all alone.

I wasn’t sure if the situation had sprung up his confession, or if they were his real feelings. But I did know that that wasn’t important right now. I could worry about it all later.

            “Mr. Kim?” A doctor suddenly came out of Hyein’s room.

            “Yes?” Jongin sprang up, staring attentively at the young man who had called his name.

            “Your daughter is in recovery. She will have to stay the night, and we will test her again in the morning, but it looks like she will be ok.”

            Jongin breathed a heavy sigh of relief. “Thank you. Thank you, doctor. Thank you so much.”

            The young doctor smiled at us. “You brought her in just the right time. If you wish, I can ask a nurse to bring in a cot for you two to stay with your daughter tonight.”

            “She’s not-“ Jongin began to correct the doctor in assuming I was Hyein’s mother, but for once, I didn’t want him to.

            “That sounds great.” I replied, giving Jongin a knowing smile. “Thank you so much.”

            “I’ll call for one now. You two can go see her.” The doctor said and we went into the room.

            Hyein was fast asleep, laying in a small cushioned crib with holes on the side to connect her to IVs filled with medicine. Jongin ran over to her and began her hair, simply watching her sleep as he murmured things to her.

            “You’re alright… Don’t worry baby… Daddy’s got you… Daddy won’t let anything hurt you again…” I heard him whisper. I walked over to him and leaned on his side.

            “You’re a great father, you know that, right?” I asked softly.

            “I’m trying.” Jongin replied, not sounding completely convinced.

            “That’s all that matters.” I said and we shared a smile as we watched his baby girl fall into a sound, peaceful sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: ODG I did it. I made a love line. I didn't think I would at the start of this fic but gosh darn it it's happened. If you can't tell who my bias is, this chapter might me a hint lol. 

Please don't hate me for making this weird story part romance >.< I couldn't help it! Also, as a closing statement I would like to announce that this fic will end at 25 chapters. So 3 more to go until the end! I'm sad and happy that this fic is ending. It's my first chaptered fic and I can't believe I'm actually seeing it to the finish. Reading your comments have seriously made this fic worthwhile to write. I can't tell you enough how happy it made me to see that some of the chapters made you laugh and I loved hearing what you thought of the characters! 

As usual, subscribe and comment ? (: