Chap 7

The Single Daddies Club

Hey y'all! Slightly different format for this chapter, Yisoo isn't in this chapter so it's just written in 3rd person, instead of 1st.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To: Lu Han

From: Oh Sehun

Hyung I’m bringing Sehee to work today

 

To: Oh Sehun

From: Lu Han

No you’re not.

 

To: Lu Han

From: Oh Sehun

Oh come on hyung… she will be good I promise J

 

To: Oh Sehun

From: Lu Han

It’s not her I’m worried about.

 

To: Lu Han

From: Oh Sehun

:(

 

To: Lu Han

From: Oh Sehun

I’ll bring you some bubble tea too

 

To: Oh Sehun

From: Lu Han

Fine. Taro XL.

 

To: Lu Han

From: Oh Sehun

Hyung that’s expensive!

 

To: Oh Sehun

From: Lu Han

So? If you screw up I won’t have a job anymore. I’d say you are repaying me in advance.

 

To: Lu Han

From: Oh Sehun

Fine hyung anything for you ^.^ be there soon

 

            Sehun walked into his office, bubble teas in one hand, stroller pushed with the other, and a packed baby bag slung around his shoulder.  He looked down at his daughter as she stared back up at him with bright, awake eyes.

            “Are you excited to spend time with daddy today?” Sehun cooed. Sehee just gave him a blank stare in response, but he took it to mean “Yes”.

            On the way to his office, he stopped by to see Luhan.  He still couldn’t thank his hyung enough for getting him this job.  Sure it was just an internship, but anything was welcomed considering all he had was a high school diploma.

            “Knock knock,” Sehun said, tapping on the slightly open door to Luhan’s spacious office.

            “Good, you’re here.” Luhan said as Sehun stepped into the room.

            “I have your tea.” Sehun said, placing the giant cup on the older boy’s immaculate desk.  You wouldn’t think it by seeing Luhan outside of the workplace, but when he put on his suit and stepped into his office, he was mature and composed far beyond his 24 years.

            “Thank you, Sehun.” Luhan said, taking a sip. “I see you weren’t kidding.” Luhan noted, staring at Sehee’s stroller.

            “Nope!” Sehun said with a smile. “I know you have your doubts, but I really think this is a good idea.”

            “Just as long as you get all your work done.”

            “What do I have for today?”

            “Have you finished your alternative energy sources presentation?”

            “Almost, just putting the finishing touches on it.”

            “Good, you will be presenting it at the meeting later today.”

            “What?!” Sehun gasped. “But I’ve never presented my work before!”

            “So?” Luhan said. “There’s a first time for everything. And frankly, you should’ve been presenting your own work a long time ago. Your ideas are good, you should start getting more credit for them. You may get that promotion you’re looking for.”

            “Hyung, I don’t know if I’m ready.” Sehun said, worried.

            “Sehun, I wouldn’t let you do it if I didn’t think you were capable.”

            “But what about Sehee?”

            “You can ask my secretary to watch her while you present.”

            “She can’t watch me too?” Sehun asked and Luhan gave him an incredulous look.

            “What do you want her to do? Pull up a chair at the meeting and take notes?” Luhan asked, sarcastically.

            “I just want her to see me do something cool.” Sehun said, a frown forming on his face.

            “She knows you can do cool things, Sehun.” Luhan consoled. “Oh, and by the way, try not to let any of the directors see that she’s yours.”

            “You didn’t tell them about her?” Sehun asked.

            “It was hard to explain that to them when I first convinced them to hired you. They never would’ve agreed to let you in if they knew you had a kid.”

            “But what if I do if one of them sees me?? Will I get fired?!” Sehun freaked out, suddenly starting to think this may not have been the best idea.

            “No.” Luhan said. “I’ve been thinking, if you don’t screw up at the meeting and they promote you, then we can tell them today. By then, they will know how you can work hard even with the kid and they won’t be upset.”

            “Except for the fact that we lied to them.” Sehun grumbled.

            “Ah, don’t worry! This hyung has got your back. Everything will work out.”

-------------------------------------

            The first chunk of the morning went surprisingly well. After meeting with Luhan, Sehun brought his daughter back to his office and set up her blanket and toys on the floor.  She was in a good mood this morning, giggling when Sehun tickled her tummy and responding back in adorable baby garble when her dad mused on a thought out loud.

            But after a little while, as Luhan had predicted, things started to head south.  It started when Luhan brought his secretary in to meet Sehee. The girl was young and sweet (Sehun could tell why Luhan had hired her) and seemed more than happy to watch Sehee during the meeting.  However, the second Sehun put his little girl in her arms, her good mood disappeared. She fidgeted, squirmed and spread her tiny arms away from the unfamiliar figure, trying to reach back to her dad.

            “Ah, she’s usually not like this!” Sehun said as the poor secretary fought to keep from dropping the baby girl.

            “It’s ok!” The secretary said, trying her best to sound upbeat. “I’m sure she’ll get used to me eventually!” Sehun didn’t really like the idea of his little girl “getting used” to someone other than him, but he let it slide this time.  He really needed her help.

            “I’m sure she wi—“ Sehun began, but he got cut off by a scream as Sehee grabbed on to the secretary’s dangling earring and yanked, hard.  Just as the secretary was about to drop the little girl, Sehun swooped in and cradled his baby in his arms.

            “Shh, it’s ok baby, Daddy’s got you. I know you didn’t like that weird lady, it’s okay.” Sehun cooed and Sehee began to regain her calm composure.  The poor secretary, however, was not as happy.

            “Weird lady?!” She shrieked. “This is what I get for trying to help you? Luhan, I thought you said watching the kid would be easy!”

            “It’s not my fault you don’t know how to hold her properly!” Sehun refuted. “She’s a perfect angel with anyone else, it’s your fault!”

            “My fault?” The girl yelled again, turning to Luhan, who was starting to turn pink. “Luhan-oppa, do something!”

            “Umm, well I…” Luhan began, but couldn’t figure out what to say. On one side was a very pretty girl and on the other was his best friend, both looking at him with daggers in their eyes.

            “It’s okay, hyung,” Sehun broke the silence. “You don’t have to make excuses for this cretin.”

            “Oh please.” The secretary snorted. “Find someone else to watch your perfect child.” And she stormed out of the room.

            “Ugh, can you believe her?” Sehun asked, staring lovingly at his baby girl. “Trying to put blame on Sehee! If she only knew how to properly hold a baby, like anyone else would know…”

            “I can’t believe you, Sehun!” Luhan scolded. “Now what are you going to do when you have the meeting? What am I going to do? How am I going to find someone else to watch Sehee??”

            “Oh hyung,” Sehun said sweetly, “I know you can find someone else to do it. You’re super smart and capable.”

            “That is true, but…”

            “It’s better it’s not her anyway!” Sehun said. “I wouldn’t want her iness rubbing off on my little angel.”

            As Sehun began to talk in baby talk to little Sehee, Luhan just shook his head and left the office.  Just as he had expected, Sehee coming to work wasn’t creating more problems for Sehun, but for Luhan himself.

-------------------------------------

            “Sehee, which font is better for the title?” Sehun mused out loud a couple hours later. “Bernard MT Condensed says ‘I mean business’, but Chalkboard is more whimsical and says ‘I know how to work hard, but play hard too’. Or maybe I should just stick with Times New Roman, keep it simple and classic.” Sehun waited to hear some sort of gibberish response, but all he heard was silence.  He turned his head to look at the corner where he had set up Sehee’s blanket and noticed she was not there.

            “Se-Sehee?” Sehun said, suddenly turning pale. “Where are you, sweetie?”

            Sehun stood up and frantically looked around his office, but didn’t see his baby girl anywhere. When he noticed the door was slightly ajar, his heart dropped and he raced out of his office.  He turned his head both ways down the hallway, and breathed a quick sigh of relief when he saw the tail of Sehee’s blanket sticking out from around the corner. He sprinted down the hall and made a right into the printer and photocopy room, where he saw Sehee sitting facing the printer with her back turned to the door.

            “There you are!” Sehun breathed a heavy sigh of relief. He went over to his daughter and noticed the piles of paper strewn around her.  They all had writing and pictures on them, but the majority were soggy, crumpled, and covered in tiny teeth marks.

            “You had me worried sick!” Sehun continued, picking up his daughter as she chewed on a piece of a table of contents. “Don’t eat these papers, honey! They are probably for someone—“ Sehun began, but stopped mid sentence when he saw the name at the top right corner of each page. In tiny, black ink it read “Sr. Director Lu Han”.

            “Oh no…” Sehun said just as the Senior Director walked into the copy room, looking for his report.

            “Oh, hey Sehun! Have you seen my repor—“ Luhan began, but trailed off as he took in the scene.

            “Agga babba!” Sehee said as the paper in fell out and stuck to her shirt with drool. The header, Sr. Director Lu Han, was clearly visible, as if mocking the poor man.

            “Is that my…?” Luhan began as Sehun planned his escape.

            “Wow, Hyung, would you look at the time! I think it’s time for me to check the weather, see you later!” Sehun said quickly as he scurried out of the room.

            “48 pages… Forty Eight Pages!!!!” Luhan yelled after Sehun, his cheeks once again turning a bright red color to match his ginger hair.

-------------------------------------

            During lunch, Sehun went to Luhan’s office to practice presenting his project.

            “Tho, becauth of thith spethal new thoftware…” Sehun said, nervously shaking his hands and darting his eyes around the room.

            “Sehun, stop.” Luhan interrupted. “You can’t talk “like thith” during the meeting. Do you want to embarrass me?”

            “I’m thorr- I’m sorry, hyung. It’s just, my lisp acts up when I get nervous.” Sehun said, looking down at his feet.

            “Don’t be so worried! There is nothing to be afraid of. The directors are just normal people. Just be confident and your hard work will show through.”

            “But what if they laugh at me? What if I screw up? What if the computer doesn’t work, or the power goes out, or a mad man runs into the office with a gun or fire throwers or something!!?” Sehun fretted but Luhan just shook his head.

            “Sehun, a mad man is not going to run into your meeting, and even if one did, it wouldn’t be your fault!”

            “What if something happens to Sehee during the meeting? What am I supposed to do?”

            “Nothing is going to happen to her. I finally got one of the girls in customer service to agree to watch her during the meeting- cost me a dinner friday, but you know, you do what you gotta do- and Sehee will be fine.” Luhan replied, casually spooning the baby girl a mouthful of sweet potato.

            “Are you sure, hyung?”

            “Of course! I wouldn’t leave her with anyone I wouldn’t leave Jaehan with, and I trust this girl to watch her. Besides, that’s not what you are really worried about, is it?” Luhan said, staring at Sehun hoping he would tell the truth.

            “I just, I just want to do well. I need this promotion, hyung. Do you know how expensive a baby is? And I need insurance, I’m so scared she is going to get sick and I can’t do anything about it.”

            “Sehun, you’re forgetting that I was you a couple years ago. I’ve been where you are, gone through what you are going through. I know it’s tough, but you just need to keep your head up and realize you can make it through. Plus, you have me, and I have your back.” Luhan said, looking thoughtfully at the younger boy and hoping he would see the truth. Luhan cared a lot about Sehun, he reminded him a lot of himself, so he hated to see the poor kid look so down.

            “I just want her to be proud of me.” Sehun practically whispered.

            “Who?” Luhan asked. “Sehee? Believe me, dude, she is. Whether she can say it or not, which she can’t because she can’t talk yet, but that’s besides the point, she is proud of everything you do.”

            “You really think so?” Sehun asked, looking slightly more hopeful as he glanced at his daughter.

            “Of course I think so! You know how smart I am, I’m usually right about a lot of things.” Luhan added, giving Sehun a wink.

            Sehun chuckled and grinned back.

            “Thanks, hyung.” He said before turning to his daughter. “You’re proud of daddy, right? Daddy’s proud of you every day too.” Sehee looked up at her dad and smiled, the beginnings of her front teeth starting to show.

            “Ok,” Luhan said to the little girl. “One more bite!” Luhan pretended to make the spoon an airplane and fly it into the little girl’s mouth. “Here comes the plane vrooooom!” Sehee opened to eat the last bite of sweet potato.  Right as she closed , Luhan made a funny face at her and she spit it out, right back onto his shirt.

            “! ! !” Luhan cursed, frantically looking for a napkin to clean the orange gunk off of his white pressed shirt.

            “Oh my gosh!” Sehun said, starting to look around for something to do, but doing nothing instead. “Um, I’ll go get some paper towels, be right back!” And the younger boy sprinted out of the office.

            Luhan found a piece of paper to wipe some of the mush off his shirt, but the big orange stain did not look like it was going to come out with a few paper towels. Sehee, after watching her dad run out of the office, looked up at Luhan. He glared down at the little girl, ears turning pink and cheeks going a violent shade of scarlet.

            “You…!” Luhan said, smoke almost coming out if his ears.

            Sehee just looked up at the big man and gave him a cheeky smile. One that reminded Luhan, exactly of her dad’s.

-------------------------------------

            When the time came, Sehun headed over to the conference room. He had already dropped Sehee off with the customer service girl (who thankfully seemed to know what she was doing) and was running through his lines in his head.

            “You can do this. You are smart. You are capable. You are awesome!” Sehun whispered to himself. He knew he gave the best pep talks. When he reached to door, it was closed. Sehun gave himself a quick “hwaiting!” and as he opened the door, he told himself one thing: “This is to make my baby girl proud.”

-------------------------------------

            “That was perfect, Sehun!” Luhan congratulated him, patting him on the back as the pair entered Sehun’s office after the meeting. “Fabulous, really, spectacular!”

            “You think they liked it?” Sehun asked, a huge smile growing on his face.

            “Like it? They loved it! I heard them talking about you and how much potential they see in you. They thought it was all fantastic!” Luhan said again, making Sehun grin like crazy.

            “I need to go get Sehee!” Sehun said. “I need to tell her the great news!” Sehun and Luhan left his office and went to go retrieve his daughter.

            “You dad was so cool, Sehee, I wish you could’ve seen me. I looked super professional, and suave, and intelligent. Even I would fall for me.” Sehun said as he bounced little Sehee in his arms. Luhan rolled his eyes.

            “Okay, we get it, you did great. Now, who was the one who told you you would do fine…?” Luhan prodded, elbowing Sehun in the stomach.

            “Hmm, I can’t seem to remember…” The younger boy teased. As the three approached Sehun’s office, they saw four figures coming their way.

            “Wait is that… oh shoot oh shoot what do I do Luhan? Those are the directors!!” Sehun panicked. “Shoot I think they see us… Oh my god they are pointing!! Why are they pointing?? What do I do with Sehee? Oh my gosh do you think they know? Are they coming to fire me!!?” Sehun whispered as the two groups met at Sehun’s office door.  Luhan looked equally as stunned, for once not having a word to say.

            “Sehun, Luhan! I’m glad we caught you.” One of the directors said.

            “Hello, Sir, it’s nice to see you uh too.” Sehun said, his voice getting caught in his throat.

            “Yes, lovely to see you all, sirs.” Luhan said, trying to regain his composure.

            “We were coming to talk to you, Sehun, and tell you that we thought your presentation was excellent. Truly top-notch information, stunningly executed.” Another director continued.

            “Huh? I mean, wow, thank you, Sir, it means a lot.” Sehun replied, stunned as he still held Sehee in his arms.

            “It seems though,” Another director continued, “That we may have caught you at the wrong time…?”

            “Allow me to explain, Sir.” Luhan jumped in. “You see, this child is my, um, niece! Yes, my niece. My sister dropped her off a couple moments ago so I could watch her for a moment while she ran an errand…”

            “It’s ok, hyung.” Sehun interrupted. “You don’t need to do this.” Luhan stared back at him with large, pleading eyes.

            “What are you talking about?” One of the directors said, all of them with quizzical looks on their faces.

            “You see, this girl, Oh Sehee, is actually my daughter. What Luhan just said isn’t true. I know I didn’t tell you about her when you hired me, but that was because I was afraid you wouldn’t hire me if you knew. I’m sorry for hiding it from you… and bringing her in to work today. Both are my mistake.” Sehun finished his speech. Luhan looked at him in awe. The young, immature boy he had known all his life had suddenly become a mature, humble adult, and he couldn’t feel more proud.

            “You’re daughter?” One director gasped, sounding shocked.

            “Well, I knew there must be a reason why Luhan was so adamant about hiring you fresh out of high school, but I never thought…” Another said.

            “If you wish to fire me, I would not hold hard feelings.” Sehun admitted, bowing his head in defeat.

            “Sehun, we didn’t come here to fire you!” One of the directors said. “We actually came to do just the opposite. We are impressed with your performance and there is an opening in a higher position we would like to offer to you.”

            “We are not angry that you didn’t tell us about your child.” Another added. “It’s actually impressive that you work so hard at both.”

            “Really!!?” Sehun squealed, reverting back to his young, childish self.

            “Yes. We would still like to offer you the new position.” One of the men said. “On one condition, though.”

            “Anything!” Sehun squealed again, making Luhan lower and shake his head.

            “Your daughter is cute, but please, don’t bring her to work again.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Wooo! Fun day at the office haha :) I just wanted to thank you all again for reading and subscribing :D I just reached 50 subscribers which is huge for me because I never thought I would get that many! I also just requested a poster for this fic, so hopefully I get it soon ^.^

Please subscribe and comment! I love love love reading all of your comments :) they really make my day!