Chap 14

The Single Daddies Club

            “Alright, Sehun, tonight I will teach you how to make one of my all time favorite dishes.” Kyungsoo said, twirling a ladle. “Kimchi spaghetti.”

We were all back to my brother’s tiny apartment.  When we had arrived, Kyungsoo had already begun preparing for the meal. He had on his apron and had tied his hair in a little top knot to keep it out of the food, an ensemble I knew meant he means business. He had been slightly annoyed when I showed up with Jongin too, but I knew there would be plenty food (my brother always made enough to feed a small army). Now, Jongin and I sat at the kitchen table, Hyein and Sehee sitting respectively in our laps, as we watched the show.

“What’s kimchi spaghetti?” Sehun asked as he tied his apron.

“Only the most delicious thing ever!” Jongin said. “Kyungsoo-hyung made it for the group once, it’s legendary.”

“Basically, it’s just regular tomato sauce spaghetti but with a kick. The kimchi makes it magical.” Kyungsoo explained, his eyes lighting up as he explained his favorite dish.

“Ok. What do I have to do first?” Sehun asked.

“First, we boil the water to cook the spaghetti in. Can you do that?” Kyungsoo explained.

“Why don’t you show him,” Jongin butted in again. “Last time he boiled water, he set the stove on fire because he the wrong one and lit a towel on fire.”

“Why did you have to bring that up!” Sehun whined. “Hyung, I won’t do that here. His stove was too confusing to use, that’s why it happened!”

“Either way,” Kyungsoo said with a worried look. “Maybe I’ll just do it and you can watch…”

After Kyungsoo successfully got the water heated up, he instructed Sehun to start chopping up the vegetables as he prepared the kimchi and the meat.

“Sehun, do you know what this is?” He asked as he help up a red pepper.

“Um, an apple?”

“Close, it’s a different fruit.” Kyungsoo said patiently.

“Orange?”

“Sehun-ah, that thing is red how could it be an orange?” Jongin asked.

“I don’t know its life!” Sehun said, annoyed. “I don’t want to make fun of the red orange just because it’s not like the others! It might be insecure and just want to fit in!”

“Okay, okay!” Kyungsoo yelled, stopping Sehun’s rampage. “Um, Sehun, this is a red bell pepper. It’s okay that you didn’t know what it was, but um, it won’t feel insulted that you didn’t guess what it was correctly. It’s a fruit, it doesn’t have feelings.”

“Are you sure?” Sehun asked.

“Positive.”

“Hey, I thought peppers were vegetables?” Jongin asked.

“No, they have seeds. Anything with seeds is a fruit.” Kyungsoo explained.

“So like, pumpkins are fruits?”

“Yea.”

“And cucumbers?”

“Mhm.”

“Woah. Mind. Blown.”

“Jongin, stop distracting us.” Sehun said agitatedly.

“Hey, I’m trying to learn too!” Jongin replied, just trying to push Sehun’s buttons and get him angry.

“This isn’t your lesson!”

“But I’m still here!”

“Enough!” I yelled, getting slightly annoyed at their childish arguing. I gave Jongin a shut up glare and he listened, sitting back in his chair with a proud, mockery filled smile on his face.

“Ok Sehun, I’m going to show you how to cut the pepper, then you will do it on your own.” Kyungsoo continued.

“First chop off the top and take out the seeds, wash it and then chop it up into bite sized pieces.”

“Alright, I got it.” Sehun said, as he grabbed the pepper and began trying to peel off the skin.

“Sehun what are you doing??!” Kyungsoo asked.

“Don’t you need to peel it?”

“You don’t peel a pepper!” Kyungsoo exclaimed. “Just cut it up!”

“Ohh, okay I got it.” Sehun chopped off the top and took out the seeds. As Kyungsoo chopped the kimchi, ham, and the onions, Sehun haphazardously chopped the lone red pepper.

“Hyung, you’re doing everything yourself!” Sehun complained.

“I’m just doing this to save time.” My brother explained. “If’ I let you chop everything, our dinner would turn into tomorrow’s breakfast.”

“Hey!”
            “Sehun, it took you twenty minutes to cut one pepper.” Jongin pointed out.

“Oh shut up!”

“I think the water is done boiling!” Kyungsoo said with a smile as he had Sehun dump in the noodles. “Ok, so the package tells you how long to cook the pasta for.”

“13 minutes.” Sehun said. “Don’t worry, Hyung! I’ll keep an eye on the time!”

“Good, good.” Kyungsoo said as he shot me a look behind Sehun’s back. I gave him a knowing nod in response, letting him know I would keep an eye on the time too.

“Ok, so next we need to cook the vegetables and meat to get them heated up. Go heat up the pan and put some oil in it, ok?” Kyungsoo said as he went to retrieve the tomato sauce from the pantry.

A second later, Jongin’s face pursed together. “What is that smell?” He asked with a disgusted look.

“I don’t know?” I questioned, catching a whiff of what Jongin was smelling, a pungent, acidic aroma.

“Sehun, what did you put in – is that vinegar??!” Kyungsoo cried out as he emerged from the pantry.

“What?”

“Sehun!” Kyungsoo yelled as he ran over to the stove. “This is vinegar! I said put oil in the pan! How could you not tell the difference??!”

“They look the same, Hyung!”

“Can you not smell it?!” Kyungsoo yelled as he took the pan off the flame and rinsed it off in the sink.

“I thought it was just a fancy kind of oil!” Sehun defended.

“Sehun.” Kyungsoo said the boy’s name with a stern face as he grabbed the bottle labeled ‘vegetable oil’. “This is oil. That was VI-NE-GAR.”

“Ahhh,” Sehun sighed with a peaceful look on his face. “I got it now, Hyung. Don’t worry.”

As Sehun put oil in and heated up the pan, Kyungsoo gathered the vegetables and meat.

“Ok, so now you just sautee these together for a few minutes to get them nice and soft.” Kyungsoo explained.

“Oooh. Sautee.” Sehun said with flair. “I like these new words you’re teaching me, they make me feel so mature.”

“Could’ve fooled me.” Jongin fake coughed into his sleeve.

“Jongin, I suggest you be quiet unless you want some sautéed red bell pepper shoved up your-“

“Woah would you look at that!” I cut Sehun off from finishing his less than polite train of thought. “The noodles should be done!”

“Sehun! Stand back and just watch this part, ok? I’m going to drain the noodles and the water is really hot. I don’t want you to hurt yourself so just watch for now.” My brother instructed. He effortlessly picked up the heavy pot and went to drain the noodles in a colander he had placed in the sink.

“Sehun, come over and taste a noodle to make sure they are cooked through.” Kyungsoo ordered. Sehun went next to my brother and carefully plucked out a strand of noodle, blew on it, and slurped it up.

“Ew, Hyung! This tastes terrible!”

“We haven’t put anything in it yet!”

“Oh, so it will taste better than this?”

“Yes, Sehun. Plain pasta has no flavor. All it is is soft and chewy.”

“Do you think I could give one to Sehee then?”

Kyungsoo pondered the thought for a moment.

“I don’t see why not.” He concluded. “Just blow on it to make sure its not to hot.”

Sehun did as he was told and brought a small noodle over to Sehee, who was sitting in my lap.

“Say ahh!” Sehun cooed as he brought the noodle up to his daughter’s face. She ate it in delight as Sehun watched with a huge, proud smile on his face.

“She loves it! I’m a great cook!” Sehun cheered.

“Yes, yes, of course you are.” Kyungsoo replied as he stirred the vegetables. He put a small helping of noodles in a bowl and gave the bowl to Kyungbin, who was sitting in his high chair.

“Kyungbinnie loves noodles too.” He said as his son dug a fist full of noodles into his mouth. My brother laughed, “Don’t you?” And Kyungbin gave him a wide, noodle filled smile in return.

“Are the vegetables and meat done yet?” Sehun asked.

“Yup!” Kyungsoo responded. “Now comes the fun part. We get to dump the noodles, tomato sauce, vegetables and meat, and of course the kimchi, all into a big dish and sprinkle a layer of cheese on top. Then it goes straight into the oven for a few minutes, so that the cheese has a chance to melt.”

“Then we can eat?” ‘Sehun asked, excited.

“Then we can eat.” Kyungsoo confirmed.

The two boys got busy layering all the food together in the large dish.

“Lots of cheese, please!” Jongin requested.
            “No!” Sehun shot back.

“But it tastes best that way!” Jongin complained.

“It really does, Sehun…” Kyungsoo added.

“Oh fine.” Sehun muttered as he dumped an extra large handful of cheese on top of the dish.

After it was put in the oven, we all set the table and got ready to eat. Kyungbin stayed in his high chair, but Sehee and Hyein were put on the carpet so that Jongin and I had room to eat.

“We can feed them their dinner after we eat ours.” Jongin said as Kyungsoo pulled the finished dish out of the oven.

“Tadah!” He exclaimed. “Dinner, is served!”

“It looks delicious!” Sehun exclaimed.

“Totally!” Jongin agreed.

We each served ourselves large portions before sitting around the table to finally dig in.

“I think Sehun should eat the first bite.” I said.

“Yea,” Kyungsoo agreed. “You earned it.”

“Thank you guys. And thank you, Kyungsoo Hyung.” Sehun said with sincerity. “I really appreciate you taking time to help me.”

“It’s no problem! This was actually kind of fun.” My brother replied. “Now eat!”

Sehun scooped up a large mouthful of noodles and shoved them into his mouth.

“Well, how is it?” Jongin asked.

“HA- HA- HOT!!!!” Sheun yelled as he opened his mouth and began to breath heavily, trying to cool down his burning tongue.

“Ugh, I should’ve warned you.” Kyungsoo muttered.

Sehun frantically reached for a glass of water and finally began to cool down.

“I thin-th I burn-th ma tongue!” Sehun said with a lisp.

“But how does it taste?” Jongin asked again, ignoring the younger boy’s pain.

Sehun shot his a devious look but replied, “It’s delicious-th! Of cour-th! Ah made it!”

We all laughed at his response and dug in. As expected, Kyungsoo’s kimchi spaghetti never disappoints. We all devoured our meals quickly and still went back for more. After we all had ate our fill (and for Jongin and Sehun, that had meant four helpings, each), we sat back with tired looks on our faces.

“So. Much. Food.” Jongin sputtered. “Can’t. Breath.”

“You guys need to eat up!” I said. “You’re both so skinny, yet you still eat more than Kyungsoo and me combined!”

“Fast metabolism.” Jongin shrugged as he truged over to pick up his daughter. “You hungry, Hyein-ah?”

He brought her over to the table and Sehun did the same, getting ready to feed their daughters their dinners.

“Sehee, I can’t wait until you get your teeth and can eat all the yummy things Daddy will cook for you.” Sehun cooed to his baby girl.

“I thought you were scared of her teeth coming in?” Kyungsoo pointed out.

“That was before, this is now.” Sehun replied. “I want to cook her every dish on the planet!”

“Woah there, Culinary Master Sehun. One step at a time. Today’s lesson was good, but you still have a lot to learn.” Kyungsoo said.

“Can we make steak next time? Oh or maybe fish! Or kimchi soup, I’ve always wanted to make that!” Sehun pleaded.

“I was actually thinking next time we would go with something a bit easier, something you can make without any of my help.” Kyungsoo replied.

“Like what?”

“Well, don’t take this the wrong way, but I was thinking, maybe…”

“Yes?”

“How does a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sound?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hi guys!! Sorry for a later update ;A; school is winding down and I'm graduating in a couple of weeks so everything has been kinda hectic, but in a good way ^.^ I can't wait to graduate! Anyway, I hope you all liked Sehun's cooking adventures :) should Sehun quit his job and become a professional chef?? Sehun certainly thinks so :P