Chap 9

The Single Daddies Club

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

Yisoo-shi… any recommendations on helping kids get to sleep?

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

Jongdae-ah… it's past midnight! How are they not asleep yet?

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

It was Batman day!!

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

Ok, so like once a month Luhan Chanyeol me and the boys get together for a superhero day.

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

Still so many questions.

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

The kids dress up, we go around pretending they’re super heroes, they love it! Then we go watch movies and stuff.

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

Sounds like a full day. How are they not tired?

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

Well we had a movie marathon…

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

And which one of you geniuses gave them sugar.

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

Ouch… that sarcasm hurt.

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

Your own fault…

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

Duly noted. But do you have any suggestions?

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

In these situations, you really have two options.

 

To: Do Yisoo

From: Kim Jongdae

I’m listening?

 

To: Kim Jongdae

From: Do Yisoo

Bribes or threats.

 

            Jongdae read that last message and put down his phone, frustrated. Easy for her to say, he thought.

            “Any luck with Yisoo?” Luhan asked, approaching the younger boy who was sitting at the kitchen table.

            “She just said bribes or threats would work.” Jongdae muttered. “Does she not think we already tried that?” He buried his face in his hands.

            “Have we?” Luhan asked, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

            “We’ve done everything!” Jongdae yelled, recalling the past few hours. To him, it seemed there was nothing left to do. They had started easy on the boys, telling them just ten more minutes then it would be time to brush their teeth and put their pajamas on. But ten minutes turned into thirty and thirty into an hour. Next thing the dads knew, the boys had disappeared throughout the house, hiding in every nook and cranny to escape their tired, annoyed dads. Just locating the kids in cupboards and laundry baskets was a task enough, but catching them was a different story. And negotiating was out of the question. They were so fueled up on hours worth of soda pop and candy, they had more energy than they could possibly control.

            “We tried bribes, that’s true.” Luhan pondered. “But… threats?” His face contorted as he tried to think.

            “What do you mean, threats? I’m not going to hit them or anything.” Jongdae said, appalled.

            “Not physical punishment.” The ginger boy corrected. “Just maybe some… psychological threats.” A sly grin formed on his face and Jongdae backed away.

            “Hyung, you’re scary when you’re tired….” Jongdae said, warily looking at Luhan.

            “Now’s not the time for you to get scared, Jongdae.” Luhan said, brushing him off. “Come on and lets find Chanyeol. I think I have an idea.”

-------------------------------------

            The two boys found Chanyeol in the twin’s bedroom. He was crouched on the upper bunk, his bulky build brushing the top of the ceiling. His large hands held onto the railing as he peered over the ledge with an intent look on his face.

            “Chanyeol what the heck are you do-“ Luhan began, but Chanyeol began to frantically wave him off, giving him the clue to be quiet. The tall boy made gestured down to a pile of blankets laying on the messy floor. Luhan was just about to think the boy had completely lost his mind, when the pile suddenly began to move.

            “I GOT YOU NOW!” Chanyeol yelled, jumping off of the bed next to the lump. Just as the words left his mouth, a scream came from the pile of blankets as an amused Chanyong and Jaehan burst out from underneath the mess of fabric. Chanyeol landed on the floor right next to the boys, but they were too quick for his clumsy self. They ducked between his tall legs and dashed out the bedroom door. Jongdae and Luhan just looked at each other in confusion as they missed their chance to catch the little monsters from running away, again.

            “Damn it!” Chanyeol huffed. “I thought for sure I had them that time! Why didn’t you guys do something!!?”

            “We didn’t know!” Jongdae defended. “How do you expect us to keep up with what goes on in your head?? You can’t even keep up with what goes on in your head!!”

            “At least I was trying something!” Chanyeol yelled back.

            “Guys!” Luhan intervened. “Us arguing is not going to fix anything! It’s just what they want.” His face grew dark and serious.

            “What are you talking about, Hyung?” Chanyeol asked.

            “Don’t you see? They’re pulling us apart. They know how weak we are, and sticking us against one another only makes us weaker. They are playing to the chinks in our armor, and if we don’t change our strategy soon, we will never see the end.”

            “Luhan, I know you’re tired and all, it’s been a long day. But may I please remind you that they are FOUR YEARS OLD??!” Jongdae exclaimed.

            “Age is but a number. Their strategy is beyond their years.” The older boy said.

            “Ok, he’s officially lost it.” Chanyeol said, running a hand hastily through his messy hair.

            “Just hear me out, guys.” Luhan persuaded. “I have an idea, but I’ll need both of your help.”

            “I’m all ears.” Chanyeol said.

            “Okay. We are going to take a new approach.” Luhan began. “Something along the lines of what Yisoo said about a threat, Jongdae.”

            “Okay.” Jongdae said.

            “What was the significance of our day?“ Luhan asked.

            “Um, having fun?” Chanyeol tried.

            “That’s not it,” Jongdae corrected. “He means pretending they are super heroes.”

            “Exactly.” Luhan said. “All day, we’ve had them go around and try to help people, do good deeds, build their character, right?”

            “Yeah…?”

            “So, what if they thought the world needed saving again?” Luhan pressed.

            “You don’t mean…” Jongdae began.

            “Oh yes, I do.” Luhan finished. The two boys locked eyes for a moment, understanding each other’s thoughts completely.

            “Um, guys?” Chanyeol asked. “Could someone please explain to me what is happening.”

            “Chanyeol, get the face paint.” Luhan ordered. “And go put on you’re Halloween constume from last year. You remember what you dressed up as?”

            “Huh? I was the Joker, but what does that have to do with…” Chanyeol trailed off, finally catching on.

            “Ohhh, I got it.” He said, a smile forming on his face. “Give me ten minutes.”

-------------------------------------

            “Chanyeol, are you done yet?” Jongdae whispered through the bathroom door.

            “Yea, just putting the finishing touches on my makeup!” Came the excited response.

            “It doesn’t need to be perfect!” Luhan complained. “Just hurry up! They are all playing in the living room. We need to hurry and set up!”

            “Done!” Chanyeol swung open the door and stepped out. He was wearing a tattered, purple suit with a wrinkled white button up underneath, and both looked about two sizes to small. His hair was slicked back and he had on enough white face paint to scare a ghost. The dark eyeliner smudged around his eyes and large, painted black smile on his face completed the terrifying, yet totally convincing, ensemble.

            “Well?” Chanyeol asked.

            “Beautiful.” Jongdae said. “You look like a freaking princess. Now can we please get this over with? If I don’t get some sleep soon I’m going to lose my mind.”

            “Jongdae, get into character. It’s showtime!” Luhan said with a smile.

            Luhan and Jongdae tip-toed into the kitchen, careful not to alarm the four little boys who were wrestling in the living room. An old Pororo rerun played in the background as Daehyun rolled around on the carpet, trying to get away from Jaehan. Chanyong was trying to help Jaehan pin Daehyun down, but he had problems of his own as Daehyuk was trying to pull down his shorts, and he kept tripping over the hems. Luckily, the boys were so distracted, they didn’t see their dad’s slip over to the kitchen table, tie their hands behind their backs, and plop down into chairs.

            “Ok, Chanyeol, now open the window and make it look like that’s how you came in.” Luhan whispered.

            “Got it!” The tall boy responded, walking over to the window and knocking down the items strewn across the counter top.

            “Ok, now how do we get their attention?” Jongdae asked.

            “Like this.” Luhan responded, right before he let out a blood-curdling scream.

            “What the he—“ Jongdae began, but Luhan shot him a “Just go with it” look, so his let out a wail of his own.

            Suddenly, the sounds of fighting in the living room ceased and all that was heard was the sound of the television as the four little boys curiously made their way into the kitchen to see what was going on.  When they arrived and saw the scene, their eyes widened with horror and their little mouths opened in shock.

            “APPA!!!” They all screamed in unison when they saw their dads tied up and looking in pain.

            “Jaehan!” Luhan screamed. “Help us!”

            Jaehan immediately ran over to go untie his dad, but Chanyeol/The Joker cut him off in his tracks, stepping in between him and his dad.

            “Not so fast, little boy.” Chanyeol said, speaking in a raspy voice. “You’re dad’s are trapped, you can’t help them now!” He let out a maniacal laugh.

            Damn, not bad. Jongdae thought.

            “Hey Mister!” Jaehan preached. “You can’t do that! That’s my dad, you have to let him go!”

            “I don’t think so. Do you know who I am??!” Chanyeol announced, his voice booming.

            “A bully!”

            “No! –well maybe- I am the Joker!” Chanyeol said, stepping out of character for a fraction on a second without realizing it. Luckily, the little boys didn’t notice and were too concerned instead with what they had just heard.

            “No!” Daehyuk gasped. “Appa! Don’t let him hurt you!”

            “I can’t help it, Daehyuk!” He’s got us trapped!” Jongdae pleaded, hoping he sounded convincing.

            “I’ll save you Appa!” Daehyun said, running over to his dad but he was pushed aside by Chanyeol.

            “You can’t help them that easily!” The villain laughed.

            “Hey!” Chanyong suddenly announced. “Where is my dad?”

            “What?” Chanyeol sputtered, momentarily at a loss. “Um, I already um, he’s hiding! Yes, I hid him somewhere you will never find him!”

            Jongdae rolled his eyes, but received a kick from Luhan in return.

            “Kids!” Luhan yelled. “There’s only one way you can save us and make the Joker go away!”

            “What is it?” They all yelled back, scared looks on their faces.

            “There are three things that make the Joker lose his power!” Luhan said, captivating their attention.

            “First!” He continued. “Is good hygiene!”

            Jongdae and Chanyeol both shot Luhan an incredulous look. The little boys seemed equally as confused.

            “You need to brush your teeth!” Luhan explained as he glanced over at Chanyeol, hoping the boy would take the hint.

            “Oh, yes!” Chanyeol announced, thankfully catching on. “I hate clean teeth! Flouride is, uh, the worst!”

            “See guys?” Luhan pleaded. “If you brush your teeth, then you can help us!”

            “I’m on it, Daddy!” Jaehan yelled, running out of the kitchen to the bathroom. The other three boys followed.

            “Do you think it worked?” Chanyeol whispered once they were out of earshot.

            “I think so.” Luhan said. “I mean, they seemed pretty convinced…”

            “Am I a good actor?” Chanyeol asked.

            “Yes, brilliant, you should get an Oscar for—“ Luhan didn’t get to finish, because the four boys had reappeared into the kitchen, each with a colored toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.

            “Die, Joker!” Daehyuk spat, pulling the brush out of his foamy mouth and flicking it at the enemy. A mixture of saliva and mint toothpaste sprayed onto Chanyeol’s face.

            “Uagh!” Chanyeol yelled, half in surprise and half in disgust.

            “Die!” The other boys followed, each flicking their own toothbrush at the tall boy. Jongdae and Luhan had to bow their heads to keep their sons from seeing their red faces. Their cheeks were about to burst as they tried to contain their laughter.

            “Exc-excellent work you guys!” Luhan intervened, regaining his composure just as Chanyong was about to smear his tooth brush all over his poor dad’s face.

            “Did we save you?” Jaehan asked.

            “Not yet!” Luhan said. “There are still two more things you have to do the kill the Joker!”

            “Please, just no more toothpaste!” Chanyeol whined.

            “The next thing you have to do,” Luhan continued, ignoring Chanyeol’s complaints, “Is show the Joker his true enemy!”

            Again, Luhan’s announcement was met with befuddled faces.

            “You know, like Batman! Spiderman, Superman! Do you know where we could find them?” Luhan asked, but the little boys still looked confused. Luckily, Jongdae saw where Luhan was going this time and was able to step in.

            “Your pajamas!” Jongdae exclaimed. “You have your superhero pajamas! Go put them on!”

            “OH!” They yelled in unison as they ran back out of the kitchen.

            “Say something!” Luhan angrily whispered at Chanyeol.

            “AhHh!” Chanyeol yelled, trying to buy time. “I.. hate.. cotton!”

            Luhan kicked his shin.

            AAAAHh!” Chanyeol yelled again, this time for a different reason. “I mean, I hate Batman! Just the image of him makes me angry!”

            “Hurry up!” Luhan yelled to the boys. “The faster you change the quicker he loses his powers!”

            “We’re done!” Chanyong yelled back. “Runing back into the kitchen. His pants were on backwards and he only had one sleeve in his shirt, but it was close enough. Soon, the other three boys tumbled into the kitchen, each in disheveled, yet still visible, superhero pajamas.

            “Ahhh!” Chanyeol screamed. “So many enemies in front of me!” He shielded his eyes with his large hands, as if the boys’ pajamas were  bright flashlights being shined into his eyes.

“The goodness! The humanity! It burns!” Chanyeol continued, dropping to his knees as he ran his hands over his face. Jongdae rolled his eyes.

“You’re almost there, guys!” Luhan said. “There’s only one more thing you need to do to make the Joker lose all of his powers!”

“What is it!!?” Jaehan begged.

“This is the hardest step of them all.” Luhan paused. “The Joker only has power because you are all awake. Once you fall asleep, his power goes away and we will be free!”

“We need to go to bed?” Daehyun asked.

“Yes!” Jongdae responded back. “Please! For Daddy!”

“I’ll go to sleep before anyone else!” Daehyun announced.

“No, I will!” Daehyuk shoved his brother.

“No, me!” Jaehan yelled too.

“Please!” Luhan interrupted. “It doesn’t matter who does it first, you all need to! Now go to sleep now and we will all be saved!”

“I will Daddy!” They yelled as they ran into the living room, finding their sleeping bags to roll out onto the floor. They assembled them all in a straight line and curled up inside them.

“I’m asleep, Daddy! You can be free now!” Daehyuk announced.

“No you’re not!” Jongdae replied knowingly. “If you’re talking, you’re still awake.”

“Oh no! I feel my power going away!” Chanyeol announced, frantically running over to the sink to begin to wipe the face paint off and the gel out of his hair.

“Good!” Chanyong said. “I mean, oops! I’m asleep!”

Chanyeol just shook his head at his son with a smile as he wiped the remains off his face. After a few minutes of sitting in anticipation filled silence, the soft hum of snores began to drift into the kitchen.

“You think we did it?” Jongdae whispered.

Luhan stood up and peered into the living room. There he saw the little boys, all with their eyes shut tight.

“I think so.” Luhan whispered back.

“Whew.” Chanyeol sighed in relief. “Good, I need to get out of this suit. It’s killing me.”

“I’m surprised is didn’t rip.” Jongdae commented.

“Hey you and me both.” Chanyeol walked out of the kitchen. “Oh, by the way, you mind if we crash here?”

“Oh, sure thing.” Jongdae replied, realizing that they were all going to sleep at his house. “No problem, don’t want to accidentally wake them up now.”

“Good, thanks man.” Luhan said.

“Thank you.” Jongdae replied back, patting the older boy on the back. “Never could’ve done it without you.”

“Hey, I guess Yisoo was right.” Luhan said. “Bribes or threats are definitely the way to go.”

“I don’t think she thought it would end up being this much work.” Jongdae muttered.

“Yea,” Luhan simply replied. “But did any of us?” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Hi readers! I hope you enjoyed Jongdae, Chanyeol and Luhan's bedtime adventures~ ^.^ And yay yay yay I'm so happy I got a poster for this fic!! I absolutely love it and I hope you all do too :D Thank you, again, to the Forbidden Dreamers Poster Shop for making it!