Chap 17

The Single Daddies Club

            “Tent?”

            “Check.”

            “Sleeping bags?”

            “Check.”

            “Pots, pans, silverware, plates, matches, scarves, blankets, Frisbee?”

            “Check, check, check, ugh, all of the above, check!”

            “Awesome!” Kyungsoo cheered. “I think we are ready to go!”

            “Finally!” I sighed, looking at our pile of bags. You would think we were going to camp in the wilderness for a month, considering all the stuff Kyungsoo had insisted we bring. But when I asked him why we needed 3 changes of clothes each and a first aid kit that weighed more than I did, he simply said “Better safe than sorry!”.

            “Can we leave now?” I asked, bouncing on my feet. I had been looking forward to going camping all week, especially knowing that Miyeon was going to come too. I still had my worries about the boys, but either way I told myself we would all have a great time.

            “We have to wait for Chanyeol to pick us up.” Kyungsoo replied, trying to get Kyungbin’s boots on over his three pairs of socks. I was glad we were going camping this weekend, it was already starting to get really cold out and there was no way we could go any other time.

            “Soo, I really don’t think Kyungbinnie needs three pairs of socks. It’s kind of nice out today!”

            “But it’s going to get chilly tonight and I just wanted to get him ready for it.”

            “Alright, you know best.” I said with a light laugh.

            “Did you text Miyeon and tell her Chanyeol was going to pick her up after us?”

            “Yup! Who else is he driving?”

            Kyungsoo thought for a moment before replying.

            “Well him and Baekhyun live in the same apartment complex so I’m assuming he’s driving him and Baekha as well. Then us three, Miyeon, Tao and Nabi.”

            “Tight squeeze,” I mentioned.

            “It’s cool, he’s got a van.”

            “How are the others getting there?”

            “Junmyeon and Kris are carpooling, Luhan is driving with Sehun and Jongin, Jongdae and Minseok were coming together, and I think Yixing was going by himself.”

            Just then, we heard a knock at the door.

            “That must be him.” Kyungsoo said.

            “Kyungsoooo!” We heard Baekhyun yell from the other side of the door. “We are here!”

            My brother rolled his eyes and he went to open the door.

            “Hey guys! Just give us a minute to grab our stuff, we’re all ready to go.”

            “Sounds good,” Chanyeol said as he walked into our apartment. Chanyong was at his side, dressed in a strange mix of a brightly patterned orange and green shirt, a pair of camo pants, and an odd polka dotted fishing hat.

            “Nice place you got here, Kyungsoo.”

            “Thanks, Chanyeol!”

            “It’s so… clean.”

            “I try to keep things orderly.” Kyungsoo said with a grin. He had a very full backpack on his back, a rolled up tent carrier in one hand and the first aid kit on the other. I had grabbed my own backpack and slung it over my shoulder while I had the sleeping bags in one hand and Kyungbin held in my other arm.

            “Woah, you guys need any help carrying stuff?” Baekhyun asked as Baekha clung on to his neck.

            “You brought, like, double what we did!” Chanyeol added.

            “No, I think we got it, right Yisoo?” Kyungsoo said.

            “Actually, Chanyeol do you mind grabbing the sleeping bags?” I said.

            “Sure, no problem!”

            We clamored out of the apartment and down to Chanyeol’s car in the parking lot. It was at least fifteen years old and had tons of little dents and scratched off paint, I was worried it wouldn’t even start.

            “This is your car?” Kyungsoo asked, looking slightly appalled.

            “Yup! Ain’t she beautiful?” Chanyeol beamed while Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

            “I don’t think beautiful is the term he had in mind, buddy.” Baekhyun said.

            “It looks about ready to fall apart…” Kyungsoo muttered as we piled our bags into the trunk.

            “Oh don’t worry! I have all the cables and stuff to restart it if it dies, but it hasn’t happened in a while so there’s nothing to be concerned about.”

            “What’s a while?” I asked.

            “Umm, couple weeks?” Chanyeol pondered.

            “WHA—“ Kyungsoo started before I dragged his arm and pulled him into the car. Chanyeol sat in the front seat and Baekhyun had shot gun with Baekha in his lap. Chanyong’s carseat was in the second row, so Kyungsoo climbed into the middle seat and I went next to him with Kyungbin on my lap.

            “Are you sure we are all going to fit?” I asked.

            “Yea we’ll be fine!” Chanyeol reassured. “Ok, where are we going?”

            “I know where Miye- I mean, Ms. Ju lives.” I said. “I’ll direct you there.”

            “Just make sure you give him a lot of time in advance before you tell him to turn or something.” Baekhyun said. “It takes him a minute to process things.”

            “Hey!” Chanyeol yelled as he started the car. It took a couple tries, but eventually we heard the reassuring hum of the engine and I felt Kyungoo relax besides me.

            About twenty minutes, two U-turns, and six redirections later, we finally made it to Miyeon’s apartment.

            “Oh, there she is waiting outside!” I pointed out the window.

            “And Tao is right next to her?” Chanyeol added as he pulled up in front of the pair.

            “Hi guys!” I said as I got out of the car.

            “Yisoo!” Tao exclaimed as he bounced Nabi in his arms. “Why didn’t you tell me Ms. Ju lived in my building!”

            “I didn’t know!” I said, equally surprised.

            “It was quite the coincidence!” Miyeon added as they put their things in the trunk of the car. “I’ve actually seen Tao coming in and out of the building a lot, but I didn’t recognize him at the meeting.”

            “So you guys are practically neighbors.” I said with a grin as we piled into the car. As I expected, it was a tight squeeze, but we all fit eventually.

            “So Ms. Ju.” Baekhyun started as Chanyeol began to drive. “When do you plan on telling us your first name?”

            “Oh, I hadn’t?” Miyeon said, feigning surprise.

            “Hmm, last I checked, that would be a no.” Tao said.

            “Oh, well you guys will find out soon enough.” Miyeon said with a playful smile.            

            “You can’t just tell us now?” baekhyun whined.

            “Now what would be the fun in that?” She asked.

            “I think it would be fun…” Chanyeol muttered.

            “Wait!!” Baekhyun suddenly yelled. “Chanyeol you were supposed to make a left at that light!”

            “You didn’t tell me!”

            “Well I’m telling you now!” Baekhyun sighed. “Turn around!”

            “There’s no place to turn!”

            “Well then just make a left up here and then maybe the roads will connect.”

            Miyeon and I exchanged worried looks as the two boys continued to bicker over the directions.

            “Appa, are we there yet?” Chanyong said from his carseat.

            “No Chanyong-ah.” Chanyeol replied.

            “How about now?”

            “No, son.”

            “Now?!?” Chanyong said again, earning him a sigh from his dad.

            “Chanyong, how about I tell you when we get there? Then you don’t have to ask.”

            “Ok,” the little boy sighed. “But I’m bored.”

            “Play a game with Kyungsoo-hyung!”

            “What?” My brother gasped, but Chanyong was already listing a long string of games he wanted to play.

            “We could do kawi, bawi, bo, or charades, or number guessing, or I spy, oh let’s play I spy!!!” The little boy rambled.

            “Are you sure you don’t want to just read a picture book?” Kyungsoo tried, but the little boy defiantly shook his head.

            “You pick first, hyung!”

            “Alright, alright. I spy with my little eye… something loud.”

            “Cars!”

            “No.”

            “Airplanes!”

            “What? No.”

            “This picture book I have that when you open the cover, it, it like goes WOOOOOSHVROOOMSHHHHHH!”

            “…Um… no.”

            “My music player!” Miyeon added.

            “Still, no.”

            “Hyung this is too hard!”

            “The answer will come, Chanyong-ah. You are closer to it than you think.” My brother said, confusing him even more.

            “Like, my shirt?”
            “Nope!”

            “Well I wouldn’t exactly say no to that.” Tao chimed in. “The pattern is definitely… loud. And with those pants, really Chanyeol? Do you let him dress himself or did you actually pick out that outfit?”

            “Hey, what’s wrong with it!?” Chanyeol said, looking offended.

            “I need sunglasses to look at him properly. He’s like a traffic cone. And that hat, really?”

            “Hey I picked out that hat just for him!”

            “Oh you shouldn’t have.”

            “Hey, if he likes what he’s wearing, it’s all fine with me. Self-expression for the win, man.”

            “Wait… Chanyeol.” Baekhyun suddenly announced. “Why are you going south?”

            “Because that’s where the signs lead me…?”

            “But you’re supposed to head east!”

            “What? Why didn’t you tell me earlier!”

            “I assumed you at least knew the direction we were heading in!”

            “Well you assumed wrong!”

            “Chanyeol, I told you to look at a map before we left!”

            “But maps are so hard to read!”

            “Because you never try!! If you just looked at one you would realize it’s not that difficult…”

            “Easy for you to say, you don’t even drive.”

            “But I know directions, what good is driving if you don’t know where to go?”

            “I MAKE IT AROUND JUST FINE!”

            “Yea sure, which is why it takes you twenty minutes to get to daycare when it’s literally two blocks away from your house…”

            “It’s all the construction!”

            “The construction ended a year ago!”

            “GUYS!!!!” Tao suddenly yelled. Both boys halted their bickering as Nabi’s cries began to float from the back of the car.

            “Guys.” He said again, quieter. “You are upsetting Nabi, please no more yelling! I’m getting a migraine…”

            Nabi continued to whimper as Baekhyun and Chanyeol muttered complaints.

            “You guys are like a married couple.” I said.

            “We are not!” They yelled in unison.

            “It’s his fault!” They said together again, pointing accusingly at one another.

            “Stop that!” They yelled for the third time, causing the rest of us in the car to burst out laughing.

            “Ok, you two must have planned that.” Miyeon said as she gasped for air.

            “I would never plan to do the same thing as him.” Chanyeol retorted.

            “Yea, which is why you moved into my apartment building.”

            “That was because it was close to the daycare!” Chanyeol defended and I rolled my eyes.  The two continued to argue the rest of the way to the campsite. Luckily, we weren’t the last ones to arrive, but when we got to the parking lot, it looked like the lot of them had been waiting a while.

            “There you guys are, finally!” Junmyeon sighed as we piled out of Chanyeol’s car.

            “Sorry it took so long, but you can blame this fool. He got lost every two seconds and we ended up going south instead of east for about fifteen miles.” Baekhyun complained.

            “Well it’s not my fault Baek is bad at giving directions.”

            “Oh don’t try to turn this around on me…!” Baekhyun refuted as I joined Kyungsoo in emptying the car of our things.

            Everyone else seemed to have packed fairly light, but then I realized that it was because no one else had brought cooking supplied. I guess that was Kyungsoo’s job.

            “So who’s still missing?” Sehun said.

            “Just Yixing.” Kris replied. “I think he left his house late or something, should be here soon.”

            I shot Miyeon a look at the mention of Yixing’s name, but she didn’t see me as Luhan had already glued himself to her side.

            “How was the ride?” He asked her.

            “Good! Turns out Tao and I are neighbors!” Miyeon replied.

            “What!?” Luhan yelled, jealousy oozing from his pores. “Tao, why didn’t you tell me?”

            “I didn’t know either!” Tao defended. “Besides, even if I did know, it’s not like I would tell you.” He laughed. Just then, a car pulled up beside us all in the lot and Yixing scurried out, a frazzled look on his face.

            “Hey, sorry I’m so late guys, I got a crazy voicemail and I was running around and freaking out and and…”

            “Woah, slow down there, Xing!” Kris said. “Are you alright?”

            “Yeah I think so.” The boy sighed and took a deep breath as he let Bing out of the car. When he turned to Miyeon and I, a smile grew on his face. “Oh, hi Miyeon! I almost forgot you were coming too!”

            “Hi Yixing!” Miyeon said, putting on a cute smile.

            “Wait wait wait!” Baekhyun and Luhan said in unison.

            “Your name is Miyeon??!”

            “Why does Yixing know!?”

            “Yea, why didn’t you tell us?!”

            The storm of questions erupted from the boys and Miyeon explained. Listening to their loud bickering, I sighed to myself.

I don’t know how I’ll survive the next 24 hours…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hello readers!! Just a heads up, the next update will happen earlier this week because after that there won't be an update for about two weeks >.< Sorry for that, but the good news is that I can't update because I'm going to Korea after graduation! I'm super crazy excited to go I've wanted to since I was little and now it's finally happening ^.^ Anyways~ I hope y'all are excited for their camping adventures :) Please subscribe and comment! Really I love to read you're comments :)