Sleepy Chanyeol and Pruning Shears

My Panda Prince...Is A Wolf?

     I woke up early Saturday morning and dragged myself out of bed. I hated early mornings, but I knew today it would be worth it. My father had left the night before, and Tao had asked me to volunteer with him at the park. 
    I took a shower and pulled my hair back in a high ponytail. A pair of denim shorts and a summer blouse had me dressed for the day. Although nights were cold, the days were hot. I grabbed an extra thermos for Tao and filled it with coffee. Jia was still asleep, and I snuck out quietly.
    I traveled the sleepy streets quietly, alone except for a few people. There were thin joggers and a few bike riders, but other than that I was alone. I sipped my coffee as I went along, enjoying the freshness of the morning. It was cool, but not too cold, the hint of dew still fresh in the air. 
    I looked up, seeing one solitary store lit up. I was curious as to what kind of person would be running a store at this hour, and saw I had led myself to the EXO Coffee Shop. I walked inside, wanting to see if Chanyeol was there and if he would sell me some breakfast. 
    The bell on the door jingled and I enjoyed the surge of warmth inside the shop. I could see someone sitting behind the counter, but no one answered when I called out. 
    "Hello?" I said, walking over to the counter. Chanyeol didn't move, sprawled over a large textbook on the counter with his head lying on it. He was sound asleep, snoring with his mouth open, and balanced precariously on his stool. 
    "Chanyeol?" I said, giving him a gentle poke. He snorted, mumbling and shaking his head. 
    "Chanyeol, get up. It's time to get up." I said, poking him again. Chanyeol turned his head away, pretending he couldn't hear me. He shifted and fell off his stool, crashing down to the ground. 
    "Nuhhhh." Chanyeol groaned, curling up in a ball and wrapping his arms around himself. I smiled at his antics, wondering how I could get him up. 
    "Chanyeol." I walked around behind the counter and knelt down, nudging his shoulder. "You have to get up now." Chanyeol shook his head violently, frowning. 
    "Baekhyun, I don't want to." Chanyeol mumbled, whining. I laughed, picking up a metal pot and spoon. I started banging them together, making Chanyeol cover his ears and yell. 
    "Yah, I get it! I'm up, I'm up!" Chanyeol leapt to his feet, grabbing the cooking utensils from me and rubbing his face with his hand. He looked at me incredulously, then looked around.  
    "What are you doing here? At...6:30 in the morning!" Chanyeol cried, looking down at his watch. He slapped his forehead, groaning. "Why is it so early?" 
    "You're such a drama queen." I said, rolling my eyes. Chanyeol opened his mouth in mock indignation and lightly tapped the back of my head. 
    "Why are you here?" Chanyeol asked, closing his text book and running his hand through his hair. "How did you get in?"
    "I'm here for a quick breakfast and the door's unlocked." I said, making Chanyeol groan. I laughed as he grabbed pastries from a glass case and put them in a paper bag. 
    "I forgot to lock up." Chanyeol said, handing me the bag. I reached into my pocket but he shook his head. "I got it." 
    "Are you sure?" I asked, looking down at my watch. Chanyeol nodded, smiling as he wiped down the counter. 
    "Yeah, you had to wake me up. You deserve coffee and a snack." Chanyeol smiled, making me chuckle. 
    "Are you always like that?" I asked, making Chanyeol nod his head regretfully. 
    "I'm not a morning person." Chanyeol said. He still looked sleepy, and I realized I had to reach the park quickly to meet Tao. 
    "I know! Listen, I have to go, but I'll talk to you later." I said, and Chanyeol grabbed another piece of paper. 
    "Here." Chanyeol scribbled something on the paper, tucked it into my palm and disappeared into the kitchen. Probably going back to sleep. 
    I looked down, following Tao's instructions to the park as I read Chanyeol's piece of paper. It was his phone number, written in rushed writing. I smiled, both from Chanyeol's phone number and the sight of the park ahead of me. 
    I looked around for Tao and found him, catching my breath when I did. He hadn't seen me yet, and I just watched him for a moment. He pushed a lawn mower, his lean biceps exposed by his tank top. Tao was laughing with someone, and I recognized Baekhyun from the EXO Coffee Shop. Baekhyun playfully shoved Tao and Tao nudged him back, bumping their respective lawn mowers together. 
    Tao looked so happy in this moment, and just so...alive. His hair was slicked back with dew and sweat and his smile glowed freely from his face. Several children were playing nearby and Tao stopped to watch them as they darted too close with their game of tag. 
    He seized the nearest one, picking up the small boy easily and holding him upside down. Baekhyun tickled the boy, making him scream and giggle. Tao finally set him down, playfully yelling at the rest of the kids. They shrieked and ran away giggling. Tao laughed with Baekhyun, returning to his work and then he saw me. 
    "Sujin!" Tao yelled, dropping his mower and running up to me. He hugged me, taking care not to spill the coffee. He grabbed his thermos gratefully, slurping it down and making me laugh. 
    "Tao! Someone's happy this morning!" I said, making him laugh. Baekhyun walked up behind Tao, clapping his shoulder with a smile. 
    "Yah, get back to work!" Baekhyun exclaimed, making Tao roll his eyes. Tao gave Baekhyun a playful push and Baekhyun pushed him back. I saw more bruises dotting Tao's shoulders and made a mental note to ask him about them later. 
    Tao showed me a row of flowers to be planted, and I started working quickly. By the time I was done planting the sun was high in the sky and I was thirsty. Tao and Baekhyun had moved on t tall trees with massive clippers, and they pointed me towards a water cooler. I took my thermos and filled it up to the top, then brought Tao a thermos for himself. 
    Tao was balancing on a tall ladder, Baekhyun keeping it steady beneath. I approached carefully, seeing Tao holding the large clippers. He smiled when he saw me, turning to hand Baekhyun the clippers. Baekhyun took them with one hand, holding the ladder with the other. 
    Tao stepped down but his foot caught on the step of the ladder. He twisted to the side, his arms flailing, and slipped the rest of the way to the ground. Baekhyun tried to grab him, but his hands were full and Tao hit the ground with a thud and a groan. 
    "Tao!" I cried, running up to him. Baekhyun tossed the clippers away and knelt down next to Tao. He rested a hand between Tao's shoulder blades, talking to him softly. 
    "Tao, are you okay?" I asked, dropping down next to him. Tao nodded, pushing himself up slowly. "Oh my god." 
    "What?" Tao asked, then saw where I was looking. When Tao had fallen his right arm had caught on the pruning shears Baekhyun was holding, and a bright red gash showed on his forearm. 
    "You need stitches." I said. Baekhyun took off his tank top and started wrapping it around Tao's cut, making Tao chuckle. 
    "Baekhyun, there are children here. Try to remain decent." Tao joked weakly. His eye was turning dark from where he had hit on the ground, and I frowned. 
    "Tao, come on. We're going to get you stitches." I commanded, holding out my hand to him. He pulled himself up, wincing slightly, and we started walking to the nearest hospital. 
    "What were you thinking, you pabo?!" I said, shaking my head. Tao shrugged, frowning and clutching his arm. 
    "Here." I handed him the thermos full of water and he took it gratefully. Tao gulped down the water, and I looked for the hospital. He needed those stitches, and some actual medical treatment quickly. 
    "How much longer?" I asked, looking around. Tao shrugged, walking slowly and looking down at me.
    "20 or 30 minutes." Tao said dismissively, making me pause. I looked at him, sitting him down on a nearby chair. 
    "20 or 30 minutes! No, just rest." I said when Tao tried to stand up again. I took out Chanyeol's phone number, considering calling him, and Tao caught my attention. 
    "Xiumin! Lu Han! Lay!" Tao yelled, and I saw a group of men turn. Xiumin, Lu Han and Lay were across the street getting coffee, holding shopping bags. Tao waved them over with his good arm and they crossed the street quickly. 
    "What's going on?" Xiumin asked, seeing the blood-soaked tank top around Tao's forearm. Tao gave him a sheepish smile, shrugging. 
    "We had a little accident. Do you have a car?" Tao asked innocently, making Lu Han grab his arm gently and look at it. 
    "Come on, we're going to the hospital." Lay said, looking at Tao's arm. Lu Han gasped dramatically, leading everyone back to the car. 
    "God, the first good shopping day and you have to ruin it!" Lu Han exclaimed playfully, making Tao and me smile. 
    "You should've invited me, this is what you get!" Tao said, climbing into the backseat with me. Lu Han sat next to us, inspecting Tao's arm as Xiumin started driving. 
    "What happened?" Lay asked from his passenger seat. I recounted Tao's idiotic fall, making Lu Han smack Tao's head lightly. 
    "Pabo! I leave you alone for one morning and you almost die!" Lu Han said, making Tao roll his eyes. 
    "I'm fine!" Tao said. Xiumin pulled into the hospital parking lot and we walked inside. Xiumin walked up and checked Tao in, and we sat around, just waiting. 
    "So, Tao. Those bruises you have...what are they from?" I asked quietly, giving Tao a meaningful look. 
    "I do martial arts." Tao said, shrugging. I smiled, it was so far from anything I had imagined. He did martial arts. 
    "Wushu." Tao said, and I nodded. An attendant came and took Tao into a small room. My phone buzzed and I picked it up. 
    "Is Tao okay?" Chanyeol's voice urgently demanded, crackling slightly. I was surprised, and held the phone farther from my ear. 
    "Stop shouting. He's just getting some stitches in his arm. How did you know?" I asked, and Chanyeol sighed in relief. 
    "Baekhyun called me." Chanyeol said, and I nodded. 
    "Okay. Yeah, he's fine. Even bickered with Lu Han for a bit." I said, making Chanyeol chuckle. 
    "Do you have a ride from the hospital?" Chanyeol asked. "I could come pick you up when you're done.    
    "I don't want to trouble you." I said. 
    "No trouble at all. I'll meet you there and wait until you're ready to go." Chanyeol said. I smiled, he was being really nice.        
    "Thanks, oppa! You're really nice." I said. Chanyeol stuttered for a few seconds before hanging up, and I laughed. 
    "Hey, someone looks better!" I said, seeing Tao walk out of the office. His arm had a long bandage on it and he was rubbing the bandage absently. 
    "Yeah, thanks for coming with me." Tao said, also thanking Lay and Xiumin. Lu Han was reading a magazine and only waved. 
    "Do you have a ride home?" Tao asked and I nodded. "I'm sorry I ruined your Saturday."
    "It's not ruined! I'm just glad you're okay." I said. Tao smiled, hugging me tightly. I hugged him back, avoiding his bad arm and kissed his cheek. 
    "Bye!" I waved, leaving Tao standing there stunned as I walked out. 
    "Dude, she totally likes you." Xiumin said, making Tao whirl around. 
    "Shut up, hyung!" Tao protested, making me smile as Chanyeol pulled up in a smooth sports car. 
    "Hop in." Chanyeol said, making me laugh. I climbed into the car and he went racing off. I thanked him again, and Chanyeol shook it off. 
    "Well, to thank me, we're going to see a movie." Chanyeol said with a smile. I laughed, nodding my assent and wondering what movie Chanyeol had planned. He was such a good friend!

I know, it's not very good. I'm sorry, this was more of a filler chapter, no real romance going on. Maybe some laughs during Chanyeol's waking up bit, but I don't think so. Please comment, let me know what I can do better. 
Thanks!
Hwaiting!
—Taoris95