Awkward Dinner

My Panda Prince...Is A Wolf?

    I was dreading science class at the end of the day with Tao and his friends. After walking in, I sat down quickly, avoiding everyone's eyes. Someone sat in the desk behind me, and I turned to see who it was. Tao shot me a wave and a smile, and I quickly turned back around. I saw Xiumin frown at me, and Chen gavr me a questioning look. I shook my head with a smile, and Chen shrugged. 
    I couldn't focus all through class, watching the clock until I could go home. I felt my desk move backwards fractionally, and froze. Yes, my desk was definitely moving. I looked back, seeing Tao had hooked his basketball shoe-clad feet around my chair legs and was pulling my closer to him. 
    "Hi." Tao leaned forward with a smile, resting his forearms on his desk. His biceps flexed, and I looked hurriedly back up to his face. 
    "What are you doing?" I whispered back, looking to make sure the teacher wasn't looking. "Stop that!" I swatted at his ankle, making him yank back his feet. 
    I scooted back up to my original position, only to feel myself being dragged backward again. I whirled around, part laughing and part furious. As soon as I met his eyes, Tao dropped his feet and gave me an innocent smile. 
    "Something wrong, Sujin?" Tao asked quietly, making Lu Han snicker. Kris shot Tao a disapproving look, and Lay was outright glaring. Lay mimed a finger across his lips, then a line across his neck, staring Tao down. Tao gulped, mouthing an apology, and sat up straighter.  
    "Stop doing that!" I said, turning forward again. Xiumin and Lu Han both started snickering as my desk once again started moving backwards. I turned again to find Tao smirking, none too innocently this time. 
    "I don't know what you're talking about." Tao murmured, his eyes laughing at me. I stuck my tongue out at him, and he chuckled quietly. "Maybe it's a magnetic field." Tao suggested, tilting his head to the side and smirking again. 
    "Miss Kim, Mr. Huang, please pay attention." The teacher frowned at us, and I turned back around with an apology. The teacher continued with the lesson, and I was glad when the bell rang. I basically ran out of class, leaving Tao and his friends behind. 
    I unlocked my locker, gasping when Tao appeared beside me with a smile. He tilted his head towards me and placed his hands on his hips. 
    "Well, your place or mine?" Tao asked, making me pause. I finished putting my books in my backpack and turned to him with an incredulous look. 
    "Excuse me?" I said angrily, making him laugh and hold his hands up. 
    "No, not like that! Were you paying attention at all in science?" Tao asked, and I glared at him. Closing my locker, I started walking away with my backpack in tow. 
    "I couldn't pay attention because someone was distracting me." I said, shooting a meaningful look at Tao following behind me. He laughed, nodding to me and grabbing my shoulder. 
    "We're partners for the project due next week." Tao said, making me nod. I guess I wasn't paying attention when the teacher gave us our partners. 
    "Okay, we'll start working on it soon. Tomorrow." I said, both looking forward to and dreading time alone with Tao. He shook his head, and I frowned. 
    "I like to start early." Tao said, making me roll my eyes. He pouted, but I stayed firm. 
    "Tomorrow is early enough." I said, walking away. Tao yelled after me, but I ignored him. I walked home, putting down my bag and finding Jia in the kitchen. 
    "How was your day?" Jia asked, already making dinner. I smiled, sitting down and grabbing a snack. 
    "It was okay." I said, making her look up at me. I shrugged, pulling out my math textbook and opening it to the right page. 
    "Did you talk to Tao?" Jia asked nonchalantly, making me smile at her sly question. I could see she was dying to know more about my first real crush, and I laughed inwardly at the way she cocked her head to the side as though to hear better. 
    "Yeah." I stayed nonchalant too, munching on a cookie and penciling in my answer. Jia and I both started laughing as we met each other's eyes. 
    "We're really bad at this!" Jia exclaimed, stirring a pot of food. I agreed, and she made me tell her everything. 
    "So, I'm trying to stay away from him, but I can't. It's like he's everywhere!" I said, frowning as I told her about lunch. She patted my hand sympathetically, laughing when I told her about science class. 
    "He obviously likes you back." Jia said, and I smiled. We both did a girly giggle, and rolled our eyes. 
    "That's the problem." I said. Jia nodded, shrugging her shoulders. "And we have a science project together too." 
    "Just see what happens." Jia said, smiling. The doorbell rang, and I looked at her questioningly. She smiled widely, nodding for me to open it. 
    "Daddy!" I flung my arms happily around the tall man standing in the doorway. He hugged me back, laughing as I helped him carry his luggage inside. 
    "How's my girl?" Dad asked, greeting Jia with a hug and sitting down at the table. He looked the same as the last time I had seen him a week ago, same handsome face and brown eyes. He was taller than me, but nowhere as tall as Tao. 
    "Growing up." Jia answered for me with a knowing smile and a wink as she served food. We all are hungrily, Dad and I catching up. He would be here for a few days, then he had to leave for China for a while. 
    "I missed you." I said, smiling at Dad. He smiled back, kissing my forehead and laughing. 
    "I missed you too." Dad said. "Now, no boys I should know about, right?" Dad asked with a smile, but I knew how protective he was. Any boy I liked would have to pass him, and I was glad he wouldn't meet Tao before he left for China. 
    "Aboji..." I said, smiling. Jia gave me a knowing smile, and we both laughed. Dad looked between us with a smile, looking like he was going to ask a question. 
    "Am I missing something?" Jia and I just shook our heads no, taking second helpings of food. Just then, the doorbell rang. 
    "Jia, who else did you invite?" I asked. Jia gave me an innocent look and shook her head. 
    "I didn't invite anyone." Jia said, and my father also shook his head. I frowned, getting up and walking to the doorway. 
    "Hello?" I said, opening the door. "Tao?" I looked up at Tao standing in front of me, thumbs looped though his backpack straps and long dark coat on. 
    "Hey." Tao smiled, cocking his hip and raising one eyebrow. "Ready to get started on that project?" Tao asked, making me panic inwardly. 
    "Tao, I said not tonight! My dad's back, now's not a good time—" I said, interrupted by Tao's hurt look. He rubbed his hand against the back of his neck and frowned. 
    "I like to get started early." Tao said, almost defensively. "Please, Sujin. I'll just stay for an hour to plan and study." Tao said, winking at me cutely. 
    "Absolutely not—" Tao cut me off my tilting his head to the side and pouting adorably. "Fine!" I exclaimed, letting him walk past me. He smiled, and I admired his outfit. 
    Tao had changed out of his school outfit, and wore a black ensemble. Black knit fingerless gloves, a long black coat and a black shirt covered his top half. Black pants and boots kept his legs and feet warm, a loose black scarf adding the final touch. Tao smiled, and for the first time, I noticed an earring glittering in Tao's ear. He actually had three, and I gulped. Dad wouldn't like his earrings, and I doubted he would go for Tao's stylishly black outfit. But Jia probably would...
    "Sujin, who's at the door?" Dad called, and I showed Tao where he could put his bag down. He did, removing his boots and placing them on the shoe rack. I laughed at his hot pink socks and he stuck out his tongue jokingly. 
    "Dad, Jia. This is Huang Zitao." I introduced Tao, bringing him into the dining room where they waited. Tao immediately bowed at a ninety degree angle to both Jia and my father.
    "Nice to meet you, Mr. Kim, Miss Jia." Tao said. "Please call me Tao." Tao gave them his signature smile and Jia giggled like a schoolgirl. 
    "Nice to meet you, Tao. Please, just call me Jia." Jia said, insisting Tao sat down and placing food before him. 
    "Nice to meet you, Tao. How do you know my daughter?" Dad asked, starting the interrogation.
    "We are partners, in a science project. I came over tonight to get a head start on the project so we get as high marks as possible." Tao said, earning an appreciative nod from my father. 
    "Dad, after dinner Tao and I can just get started in my room." I said, making Tao nod. Dad nodded too, fixing Tao with a hard stare as he added, "The door stays open, though." 
    "Of course." Tao said politely, making Dad nod. I hung my head, embarrassed, and Jia smiled. This was going to be an awkward night.

Thank you to everyone who commented! And to all my silent readers too! Everyone, I hope you like this update, please comment and let me know what you think! 
Komapsumnida!
—Taoris95 
:D