Raise Your Voices

Her World All Alone

“Next up students is Hyeri and Minah with the topic of ‘Power’! Okay girls, show us what you’ve got” Teacher Yoon takes her place amongst the rest of the students in the auditorium as Minah and Hyeri walk up the side stairs. Once they reach the middle, the speakers’ blast out Girls Day’s Female President. The students cheer as the girls sing and dance to the song.

Hyeri/Minah: Go to him first/And tell him he’s yours/ You can do it now/You start first Our country’s president is now a female/So what’s the big deal? /Why can’t girls do it first? Will we get arrested if we go first the guy first? /Go to him/ And you kiss him first You can do it now/You start first/You can do it now .

And the girls end with the trademark salute.

“Well done ladies, well done.  I like the theme; girl power!” The female students clap. “For this assignment though I wanted to hear more of your vocals, not vocals and dance. Nonetheless, from what I heard Hyeri you need to work on your breathing techniques, sing from your diaphragm. And Minah, strong voice, but it seemed like you were straining at times so just be careful on that. But overall I like it, 82 for you both! Congratulations.”

Minah and Hyeri bowed and stepped down from the stage. “Alright, Ji young, Taemin, you’re up! Ooo! The topic is loss, interesting! Go ahead”

Taemin and Jiyoung looked towards their friends whose eyes were trained on them. Jaebum yelled out “Fighting!” causing Jiyoung to smile softly. Taemin’s eyes flickered towards Suzy who had to sit beside Krystal because of their paired order. She wasn’t even paying attention. It made Taemin’s self-confidence dip for a moment. She was the one that always encouraged him in his singing abilities. “You’re not just a dancer Taemin, you have the ability to sing, believe in yourself”. He shook off that memory when the music began to play.

 Jiyoung took the start

Jiyoung:  I… still… can’t… get over you/ I never forget…/Boy I never forget…. Boy/Can’t remember how many years it has been since we broke up/ But I cry every time when I think about you/ Why I’m so eager to see you today?/ The sound of rain droplets leaves my heart shaken up.

She seemed dazed and Taemin took this as a sign to begin. He breathed deeply before starting his verse. Taemin: I regret giving you my love/ I regret getting attached to you/ I regret holding you back/ Why do I have to face the pain alone?/ I regret giving you my love/ I regret getting attached to you/ I regret holding you back/ Why do I have to face the pain alone?

His voice broke and tears filled his eyes. The lyrics were so close to him that he couldn’t help it. They ended their song safely, no more cracks or off pitching. After seconds of silence, the room exploded in claps, all stunned by the rawness in their voices. Teacher Yoon stood up, clapping slowly.

“Well, I’m impressed; a break up song to represent loss. The emotion felt so real that I began to cry. Taemin shi, your vocals were impressive, although you cracked I felt that the words you were saying were so sincere; like they were meant for someone.” Taemin looked away. “And Jiyoung shi! Great job! You seemed like the lyrics reminded you of something as you sang. A sad memory” Jiyoung gave a weak smile. “I give you both 90 points! You may sit back down”. 

“Up next is the topic ‘Love’, Jaebum-shi and Sehun-shi, give it your all boys” Teacher Yoon gestures towards the stage. “Go on”. The group gave encouraging shouts “Fighting! Sehun-ah, Jaebum-ah!”

But those words weren’t heard by Sehun, he was only looking at Suzy. For the first time since the performances started, she looked up. He could see her eyes, they were blank but Sehun knew better, she tried to act like she didn’t care but she did. The music began to play and Jaebum cleared his throat to sing.

Jaebum: “It was the first time feeling like this/ My entire heart has been taken from me/ What do I do? What should I do?/ In front of you, I become ice/ I ruin it all with good-for-nothing words/ You might have thought that I was stupid/ Why did you make me like this”

Jaebum’s eyes were closed, focused on keeping up with the tempo. Sehun’s gaze never left Suzy causing his friends to worry. What’s he doing? Sehun stepped closer to the stage so he was directly in front of Suzy. His part came up

Sehun: “Give it back to me, my heart that you took without knowing/ Why did you come inside without permission, without warning and shake me up?”

His eyes looked deeply in Suzy’s, his words hitting her hard but she couldn’t look away.

“You burn me up and make me cry/ I pray every day for the day you will look back to me/ Can't you see me as a man? Is it already too late?/ It was the first time I got to know love”

Suzy’s breath caught in . Why is he doing this? Look somewhere else, look somewhere else! 

Sehun and Jaebum finished their song perfectly. Teacher Yoon stood up along with the rest of the student applauding while Jongin, Krystal, and Suzy sat still in their seats. Jongin didn’t like the feeling he got in his stomach. Did he just sing to her? To Suzy, my Suzy? 

Krystal didn’t like how Sehun’s heart still held Suzy. Stop it. Stop looking at her like that! Don’t you remember what she put you through? Don’t you remember what she did?! Her nails dug into her hands. 

“Wow boys! That was a love song filled with so much pain and hope, it made my heart swell! Sehun, you were singing that song for a certain person weren’t you?” Teacher Yoon winked and the students erupted in whistles and hoots. Sehun’s face felt hot and Suzy looked towards her lap. His friends glared. “Jaebum ah, your voice was so sweet and clear, very well done! You practiced hard.” She gave him a smile that he returned. “Congratulations! I grant you 100 %. The first one. Take your seats.”

Sehun took his seat next to Jongin who didn’t even look at him. Teacher Yoon faced the class and started walking backwards “We should take a break, yes? Well, I want a break from all you children so peace! I’ll be back in 10”and once she finished she was out of the door. The auditorium was quiet until some students started moving to their friends and some left to grab snacks. Suzy stood up and walked past Sehun and Jongin, and waited by the door.

Jongin noticed and grabbed onto Sehun’s arm. “Krystal is watching us. If you move you’ll be in for it later”

Sehun rolled his eyes “I’m not her boyfriend. I do what I please. Besides Suzy wants to talk to me not you, get over it.” He jerked his arm from Jongin and followed Suzy out the door.

Jongin made a move to go after them but was stopped when Jieun started laughing.

“This is going to get entertaining” Jongin stared at her.

Jieun rolled her eyes “You are still into her and clearly Sehun is too. Is this going to happen again? But it’s different this time. You don’t have a hold on Suzy anymore.” Her voice lowered “You are no longer Bae Suzy’s boyfriend but rather Jung Krystal’s boyfriend. How does that feel?”

Jongin’s eyes narrowed and leaned closer to Jieun “I swear if you start up again I won’t let you go easy. Twisting the truth is your game and I don’t like being a part of it.”

Jieun leaned closer so she was whispering in his ear “Then don’t give me a reason.” She sat back straight and gave a little wave to Krystal when she saw her approaching.

“Ahh Queen Jung is here” Jieun greeted Krystal “I’d keep a close leash on your boy Krys, seems like he’s tugging on his collar” Jieun bounced out of her seat and skipped over to Jiyoung and Hyeri.

Krystal glared at Jieun’s retreating figure and looked towards Jongin for an explanation. He shook his head and pulled her arm, making her sit down on the seat next to him. “It’s nothing.” Krystal dropped the topic but that didn’t mean she wasn’t thinking about it. I need to speak to Jieun.

Out in the hall:

Sehun watched as Suzy paced back and forth in the hallway. Ever since they came out, she hasn’t said a word to him and it’s bugging him. Didn’t she want to talk to me? Suzy abruptly stopped and turned slowly to Sehun. A blank stare on her face but Sehun knew she was trying to read him.

 “Are you going to speak anytime soon?” Sehun snaps at her.

Suzy brushes it off but does however respond “Why would you do that?”

Sehun, himself, doesn’t know why he did it. “Can’t you just forget about it?” He said it so casually.

“Forget about it? Forget how you basically sang a love song to me in front of the whole class?” She finally loses it. “Are you out of your mind?! We don’t have any connection to each other!”

“Suji-ah,” Sehun steps closer to her.

“Don’t you dare use my name like that.” She seethes Please leave me alone

His eyes sadden and his fingers curls, actions Suzy chooses to ignore. She brought him out to talk and he counts on that decision to keep going.

“Don’t shut me out”

He doesn’t get the reaction he hoped for but the one he deserved.

"Don't shut me out and don't leave me sound pretty close don't you think?"

Sehun gets what she's hinting at "I made a mistake Suzy, I know-"

“Why are you trying so hard? Still have feelings for me?”

It was like a bucket of cold water was splashed on him by her words. His jaw slacks and Suzy pauses.

"Oh God you do!" Sehun turns his face to the side, trying to hide his blush. 

She lifts her finger and runs it along the shape of his mouth. Sehun’s eyes close and his breathing stops.

“Do I still have this effect on you?” her breath dangerously close to his face. He doesn’t open his eyes, afraid that if he does it’ll just be a dream. He grabs her hand.

“This isn’t you Suzy. Please show me the real Suzy. The old Suzy. The one I fell in love with” He opens his eyes and meet Suzy’s hard ones. Her lips ghost over his.

“You all killed her Sehun shi. She’s no longer here” He feels her hair hit him when she turns around and goes back through the door to the auditorium. He stands there, out in the hallway, alone. A classmates pokes his head out the door

“Sehun shi, come back inside. Teacher Yoon is back” and he darts back in the classroom. Sehun’s feet drag on the floor. He doesn’t want to go back inside. His heart feels heavy. He pounds on his chest. Calm down Sehun. She’ll come back. Your Suzy will come back.