9

Almost Perfect

Happy Ending? It can only happen in fairytales or fictional stories. In reality, there is no happy ending. That is why, unlike to most of the teens, I don't spend my time getting or finding love. I don't believe in it anyway. What humans perceive as love is just care. They assumed they love someone that in fact they are just extremely caring. If humans are capable of loving, break-up won't exist. Because love, never fades or ran out.

 

"Orange, grapes, mango, strawberry, cherry..."

 

I rubbed my fingers on my chin as I'm trying to decide what flavor of juice should I choose to buy from the vending machine. I have been standing in front of it for a couple of minutes now.

 

"I'll guess I'll have cherry for today." I mumbled.

 

I inserted my coins and when I was about to press the button for my cherry juice, a hand overtake mine and swiftly press the button for mango juice. I got a bit surprise about it. I turned my head to see who did that shameless deed.

 

"Krystal Jung."

 

"Thank you for this Amber." she said happily after she got it.

 

"Yah, I am not giving that to you for free. You have to pay me." I demanded to her.

 

She is my neighbor who live next door to my house. She is a mischievous girl. Those people who don't know her that well are afraid of her. You see, she got this sharp cold looking eyes. If she is not smiling or putting on a plain/ serious expression, you will feel like she's going to devour you any minute...alive.

 

"See you later!" she answered me before she turned her back and runaway.

 

I let out a deep sigh in frustration. She is always like this. She loves to take what is mine, with or without my permission. She really doesn't ask for it, she will just take it like that.

 

"Crap, I don't have any more coins!" I cussed when I checked my wallet and heaved a deep sigh.

 

I walked back into our classroom. I just drank water from the faucet. It's tasteless but free anyway. I stopped on my trance when I spotted Krystal. She is hanging her head low standing around Kai's group. They are the most popular guys in school. I think that girl spilled her juice on Kai. His uniform is stained with her juice. Krystal always gets herself into trouble. She’s a clumsy girl after all. I turned my back and decided to not get involve with her troubles but then when I heard Kai yelled at her, it made me stop from leaving. I looked at them and the crowd we’re whispering around.

 

“Are you mute? Why aren’t you answering me?” Kai spoke. “Are you going to do it or not?!”

 

“Maybe she is just shy Kai.” One of his friends said and scoffed.

 

“Pfft! We know your kind so stop acting that you are a shy one.” Kai said and when I heard it, it ticks me off.

 

I entered the picture, standing beside Krystal. They all looked at me with raised brows. They probably got surprised that I dare to join them in their gathering.

 

“You can’t really stay away from trouble, can you?” I said to Krystal and she gave me a faint smile in response. “Did you apologize already?”

 

“Y-Yeah.” She answered shortly.

 

I averted my eyes from her and looked at Kai. He is looking pissed off.

 

“It will get dry in 20 to 30 minutes. She already apologized to you, so what are you still fussing for?” I asked him.

 

“You stay away from this, Liu!” Kai said to me with stern voice. “So mind your own business!”

 

“If she’s the one involve in this business, I can’t mind my own.” I answered him with a playful smirk and Kai gritted his teeth in anger. “If you’ll excuse us, we still have class to attend.”

 

I grabbed Krystal’s hand and dragged her along with me as we walked away. I can feel everyone’s eyes on us. I let go of her hand when Kai’s group can no longer see us.

 

“Thanks Amber!” Krystal said happily and hugged.

 

“Yah, stop hugging me. I can feel your on my chest.” I said to her and she quickly let go.

 

“ert!”she yelled as she covered her chest with her arms. Her face are flustered, she got probably shy about it.

 

“As if they are big.” I said and scoffed and she glared at me.

 

“I’ll kill you, Liu!” she said with threatening voice.

 

“You will get me killed soon because of your clumsiness.” I answered her and head inside our classroom first.

 

I sat down on my seat and she settled to hers which is next to mine, on my left side, next to the window. I leaned my face against my hand as I looked out the window. The blue sky is so calming to look at. I averted my attention to Krystal when I noticed that she is looking at me.

 

“What?” I asked her.

 

“Today, I just confirmed that you care for me.” She said with a big smile on her face.

 

“And you are that happy about it?”

 

“That’s how you see love right? Through caring?”she spoke which caught me off guard. “So it means you love me.”

 

“If I will choose to love you, then it means I’ll choose to live a complicated life for the rest of my life.”

 

“Why is that?” she said raising her left brow.

 

“You are clumsy, love to take everything what is mine, and you can’t stay out of trouble.” I pointed to her. “But since it is you, I think I won’t mind having a complicated life. Don’t make me worry often though, you don’t want to become a widow at young age, don’t you?”

 

“Who says I’m going to marry a guy like you?” she answered me and giggled.

 

“If I asked you out, I am not just asking you to become my girlfriend. I’m also asking you to become my future wife. That’s how it is with me.”

 

“How can I assure that you love me? You don’t even believe in it.”

 

“I think these feelings that I feel every time you are around will send signals to my brain and make it command to do something for you. No matter how odd, stupid or reckless it is.”

 

She looked at me with widened eyes. I am not sure what I just said that was surprising to her.

 

“It’s odd, but I have these feelings that I feel every time I think and see you too.” She said with a sweet smile.

 

I wonder what are these feelings that we feel for each other but hearing what she said, gave me butterflies in my stomach. I feel a weird kind of happiness, not the same to the usual happiness that I feel. It’s making my heart feels warm.

 

“Amber, I think I’ll get myself a boyfriend soon.” She spoke which snapped me out of my thoughts, those feelings that I just felt had quickly vanished in just like a snap.

 

“He is a stupid, naïve, and a very confusing guy.” She spoke.

 

“Sounds like a loser to me.” I said and scoffed.

 

I am not liking what I’m hearing right now. It’s ticking me off.

 

“Amber Loser! Not a bad name for a boyfriend.” She answered and giggled.

 

“Krystal Los…”

 

“Finish that and you’ll die this instance!”

 

I know happy ending doesn’t exist, because you’ll have to experience the happiness along the way, not at the ending. Krystal is the girl that I extremely care now and for the rest of my life. Nothing will ever change that because a fact can never be change.