Chapter 20

The True Reason - Book II

Amber sat in silence as she waits for her food to arrive. She ordered room service and, she thought that it would be better to eat first before taking a bath. Although, 35 minutes was long enough for them to deliver the food as she only ordered a Waldorf Salad and an iced tea. She chuckled at that idea.

 

She was staying at one of the hotels near Jessica’s home for 2 days already, and she admitted that she really didn’t know up until when she will stay there. She doesn’t have a game plan yet. She just knew that she wanted to see Jessica and the kid the moment she found out the truth.

 

Amber went to the living area of the suite. Observing, the room that she booked, she thought it was a pretty big room that can fit 3 to 4 people. It has its own living room, a kitchen, and a separate bedroom. You would think that it was a luxury apartment but then again, it was only a hotel room— or rather, a suite, as per the butler who assisted her with her luggage when she checked in a few days ago.

 

Amber, walked to the kitchen to open the refrigerator and found some complimentary sparkling water and some wine. She thought, that she needed to go to the convenience store tomorrow morning to get some supplies, especially that she doesn’t know how long she will stay there.

 

Krystal

 

She has forgotten to call her wife again. She mentally cursed herself. She took her phone out from her pocket and dialed Krystal's number.

 

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

Ring.

 

It just kept on ringing, until the line went off. She tried to call the number again, but still the same thing. She sighed. She checked her phone’s time zone app that, it was still 2:30 AM in Korea. Maybe that’s why. It was still dawn and maybe her family was still sleeping, she thought. She then decided to just send a video message to Krystal, that way she can still check up on them or they would know how Amber was doing at that moment.

 

She opened her camera through her phone; 

she adjusted it until she can see her own face on the screen, before pressing the red button to record.

 

“Hi, babe. How are you doing? It’s noon here and I ordered room service earlier. Uhm, how’s Trish? I hope you guys are doing okay there. I was calling you earlier but you were not picking up. I guess you were sleeping. Anyway, I just wanna let you know that I am doing okay. I will update you once in a while. Okay? Love you.”

 

 

After that, she immediately sent the video, and then smiled when the screen said, successful. 

 

Then she remembered the conversation that she had with Jessica yesterday.

 

“I am here because of you and Albie. Please give me a chance to spend time with Albie and you.”

 

“I want to make it up to you. After 4 years of absence, I want to be by your side while I am here. I want to know Albie. I want to take care of my son while I am still here. Please, let me, Jessica.” 

 

 

There was a long silence between them. Until Jessica spoke again.

 

“No.”

 

“W-what, Jessica?” 

 

 

Amber was shocked to hear that coming from Jessica. She couldn’t read Jessica as the latter is keeping a straight face.  

 

“I am sorry but, that won’t happen. You must focus on your wife and your child with her instead. And, please. This will be the last time that we will see each other, Amber.”

 

And with that, Jessica walked away leaving Amber.

 

Amber could feel her heart beating faster than normal. She could not understand how or where she got the courage from, when she said all of those to Jessica. But then, all Amber wants is to know her son more. Because Albie is Amber’s son. 

 

 

Amber tried to control herself from being too emotional when she remembered what happened during the conversation with Jessica. She understands Jessica. She could not blame her if that’s what Jessica’s feeling as of the moment. A lot has happened for 4 years and Amber knew that this will not be easy for both of them. But then, before she came to North Carolina, her goal was to convince Jessica and Albie to go back to Korea with her. That’s what she wanted to do at least. 

 

 

 

 

-------------

 

 

 

 

“Can I ask, what do you want from Miss Jessica?”

 

Amber, was not sure what to do next when she woke up that morning. All she thought that it would be better if she could go to Jessica’s apartment and pay her a visit. Amber just went right away to Jessica’s apartment after she was done with her errands. And by ‘errands’ means, by calling her butler at the hotel to have a laundry service; by getting all of the important supplies that she needs at the nearest 7/11 store. She did not know that all of her tasks will be completed sooner than she was expecting and then went right away to Jessica’s apartment as it was only a 10-minute walk from the hotel.

 

As she stepped into the building, she was expecting that there was no one at the reception area, but she guessed it wrong at that moment.

 

“Uhm.” Amber could not find an exact answer to tell the old lady. And she could sense that the latter was growing impatient just by looking at her face.

 

 

I couldn’t just tell her that I am Jessica’s ex-girlfriend, right?  

 

“I am Jessica’s friend. Is she there?”

 

“A friend? I don’t think that she’s got a friend from somewhere else, aside from her co-workers.” The old lady squinted her eyes to Amber, as she examined her from head to toe. “And besides, I think you’re new here. Where are you from by the way?”

 

“You’re right! I am new here. I-uh, l came from Korea and we used to be friends. I am just checking up on her.” 

 

The old lady scrunched her face, not believing what Amber just said. “You don’t need to check up on her, kid. She is okay with her child. I cannot let you in. You’re not a familiar face. “

 

 Woah. This old lady is unbelievable. 

 

Amber could not retort back as she was intimidated by the old lady’s gaze. She felt defeated just by those looks as if she will be eaten by a monster. “Uh. If you could not let me in. Perhaps, could you tell me where Jessica is right now?”

 

“I said no!” 

 

Amber was so shocked when the old lady slightly, raised her voice. Amber, remained her composure and walked towards the reception desk. She can see that the old lady, is squinting her eyes, as if she is sending laser beams to Amber. 

 

Oof, talk about temper issues.

 

“I understand,” Amber smiled. “I know that you don’t know me since I don’t live here. Like I have said, I came from Korea. We used to uh... I mean, I have known Jessica for so many years. If you can ask her yourself, then that would be better. That way, you will know that she knows me. Or maybe call her if you’d like.” 

 

Amber noticed that the old lady has a name tag pinned on her left side on her chest. “Margaret,” Amber said.

 

The old lady or Margaret, quickly covered her name tag as if Amber will take it away from her. Amber chuckled at the idea.

 

“Is something funny?” Margaret irritatingly asked. 

 

“Huh? No. Sorry. Like what I have said, Margaret. I am a busy person. If you could just please tell me where Jessica is and we can go on with our lives.” Amber said, growing impatient. She thought that she doesn’t have time to play games with this receptionist.

 

Margaret took off her glasses without cutting her gaze off from Amber and Amber just felt small all of a sudden as if she will be eaten by this old lady in any minute . She felt her palms sweaty and thought that just wanted to get out of the building as soon as possible. Why does it need to be this hard? She thought to herself.

 

"What are you doing here?" 

 

Amber heard someone from behind, and when she looked over, she realized it was Jessica with Albie. She looked at Albie and admired the kid for a minute before averting her gaze to Jessica, who is looking straight at her. No emotions can be seen on her face. 

 

"Ms. Jessica, thank God you are here." Margaret said, breaking off the awkwardness between Amber and Jessica, or at least Amber thought. "This.. Person here is insisting that you knew each other and wants to know your whereabouts. I didn't not give her the address where you work because I know that's inappropriate." 

 

Amber could just roll her eyes at the lady, how she said those exaggeratedly. She slipped her hands into her side pocket feeling defeated. At least, Jessica is here now, Amber thought. 

 

"I really do appreciate you doing that Margaret. And, If it's okay with you, could you take Albie upstairs too? I just need to.." Jessica trailed, and Amber felt that Jessica kind of glanced at her for a few seconds, that made her look at Jessica. "Talk to her."

 

"Mom.." Albie whined, and gently tugged the skirt of Jessica. "But, I don't want to go upstairs yet.." 

 

"I will just be quick, sweetie. I promise." Jessica smiled, and kissed the cheek of her son. 

 

"Well, you heard your momma Albie. Come here and let's go upstairs. She will just follow through." 

 

Albie felt defeated and went upstairs together with Margaret. Amber didn't leave her gaze at Albie until they entered the elevator. Her heart kind of twitched a little, when Jessica kissed Albie's cheek. That made her sad a little bit that, she doesn't have a close relationship with her son and thinks that she was not there from the moment he was born. But then at the back of her head, what if he is not my son? Amber felt guilty right away and mentally scolded herself at that thought.

 

But, that's possible, right? Besides, I do not have proof yet. 

 

Amber didn't notice that she was getting emotional again and she forgot her purpose and why she came to Jessica's place. Amber came back to her senses and ran her hand through her short hair, before giving Jessica a small smile. "Hi." 

 

But, Jessica didn't smile back which Amber kind of felt embarrassed. She was checking Jessica out from head to toe or looking at her from head to toe, at least Amber thought. She is wearing office attire with a simple blouse, skirt and heels. I wonder, where does she work? 

 

"Amber." Jessica said which made Amber smile. "Why are you smiling?" 

 

"Hm? Oh.." Amber wanted to slap herself for being such an idiot in front of Jessica. She couldn't understand why she was acting like that. "Sorry." 

 

"What are you doing here? I thought, I have made myself clear about last time." 

 

Amber is surprised, that Jessica is so calm today. She admitted, that when she decided to come to Jessica's place again, she expected that she will be mad at her or shout at her again, or at least will have an argument with her. But now it is different. Jessica is calm, and Amber doesn't know if she should be worried about it. 

 

"I understand, and I know that we have already talked about this." Amber then, paused and all of a sudden she did not know what to say next. She could notice Jessica is waiting or expecting for her to continue, but Amber just could not say anything and she does not know why. 

 

Again, the awkward silence began. 

 

"I uh.." Amber let out a nervous laugh, finally saying something. "Sorry for coming unannounced. Like I said, we talked about this yesterday. But, one of the reasons I am here is because of Albie."

 

Amber stopped and she realized that she is talking too much. She bit her lip as she saw Jessica was just giving her a blank face. 

 

"We could talk somewhere else. Not here" Jessica said, before walking out from the building leaving Amber behind. 

 

Amber just stared at Jessica, bewildered. She doesn't even know how she would feel with the treatment that Jessica is giving to her. Eventually, Amber just followed her. 

 

They have gone to a convenience store near Jessica's apartment. Amber is waiting outside by the tables and trying to look inside through the glass door to find Jessica. She then saw her lining in queue at the cashier paying for the things she bought. Not long after, she went out and joined Amber. 

 

Jessica pulled one of the chairs and Amber was just also sitting staring Jessica's movements amused by her new attitude. 

 

"Here's your coffee. " Jessica offered, pushing a cup of instant coffee towards Amber which the latter gladly accepted with a Thanks. 

 

"I do not want to make this long. You have heard, what I told Albie that I will be out for just a very short time. If you want to talk, I prefer if you will kindly speak now." 

 

Amber would not know if she would get offended or amused by the way Jessica treated her. It is as if, Amber is the enemy here which she only wants to know about the boy if it's indeed her kid. She also could not understand why Jessica is acting this way. Afterall, they had good memories together, thay is why Amber feels a little bit upset with how Jessica is treating her. But Amber just shrugged off that feeling just for Albie. She is willing to make amends with Jessica just for their child.

 

There was a long pause from Amber, "You know, why I am here, Jessica." She trailed, "I told you yesterday that, I wanted to know my son. I would like to spend time with Albie, because that is my right to get to know my son." Amber said with emphasis. She admitted, she is frustrated with how Jessica is avoiding their child from her and not letting Albie to at least introduce to Amber. 

 

"Well, I am sorry Amber. But I do not want to talk about it. " Jessica snapped back and Amber was shocked by how harsh Jessica's voice sounded. Her eyes widened as if she was just slapped in the face with the most horrible words. She stared at Jessica who was just sitting calmly, waiting for something. She could not even read Jessica's stoic face.

 

 Amber took a deep breath before she spoke again. "What exactly do you mean by that?"

 

"I am sorry, Amber. But I cannot allow you to see Albie." Jessica said, her tone is softer now but still firm.

 

Jessica's words were like ice water being poured over Amber's head, all the frustration and sadness from yesterday came rushing back, making her feel cold inside and out. Amber looked down at the ground, fiddling with the hem of her shirt. This is what Jessica wanted? To push Amber away? Make her forget about Albie? Her son? To tell Amber that she does not need her? 

 

Both of them did not say anything, more like Amber's mind was kind of messed up that she does not know what to say or to respond to what Jessica said ,"I know you are aware of the truth about Albie, and I am so sorry to say because, I am not allowing you to have contact with my child." Jessica continued to say.

 

The silence continued for a few moments, until Jessica broke it again, "Our situation here is okay. We don't need someone else's help for us to live. I have a stable job and I can take care of my own child.". Her voice was calm and strong. Amber could not understand herself why she could not have any strength to even fight for her own right. She is also Albie's mother after all.

 

All of a sudden, Jessica then got up from where she was sitting and walked out leaving Amber confused. "Hold on, where are you going?" Amber did not know what has gotten into her that when she asked that, she held Jessica's arm, keeping her from leaving.

 

"I need to return home." Jessica said without even looking at Amber.

 

Amber also stood up and faced Jessica, still holding, her arms. Amber stared at her and tried to read her expression, which was difficult since she had that neutral mask ever since they talked. Whereas, Jessica is trying to avoid Amber's gaze. Amber sighed inwardly and took a step forward; she had to do something now or else she'll never get the answer she wanted.

 

"Jessica," she said slowly, hoping it would be enough to make the other girl talk. Jessica looked down and then back at Amber, but made no attempt to acknowledge Amber.

 

"I want to tell you that I am not gonna give up." She paused for effect and hoped that Jessica would look at her again, but Jessica only kept looking away. She gave, Jessica a gentle squeeze on her arms because all of a sudden she felt Jessica became tensed.

 

"Okay." Amber nodded. "I am not gonna give up and I am hoping you will give me a chance to spend time with my son and I think It's only fair that he knows I am his other mother." She knew that it was a low blow, but she didn't care about it. What mattered now was trying to convince Jessica to introduce Albie to her. After all, he is her son too.

 

The next few minutes went by in complete silence again. Neither Amber or Jessica moved. Amber tried to hold onto the hope that Jessica would change her mind --- to reconsider ---- to think again that she will not take Albie away from Jessica --- that the reason Amber is here is because to get to know the child and to know more about the truth.

 

Jessica was still silent, her eyes trained on the floor. "Jessica," Amber said softly, and did not realize that she is already caressing Jessica's arms. "Please talk to me."

 

Then, finally, "I need to go. I am sorry." Jessica then turned around and quickly walked away from Amber. She watched Jessica leave, and left out a sigh. She did not understand all of a sudden why she felt so motivated to win over Jessica's approval to get to know Albie. She thought that she was already here and there was no point in turning back.